So What FA do you give the max to match our new #2 Pick

So if Temple does opt out and we have cap space of 26 mil to the cap of $101 mil and a floor of 91 mil we need to spend
the 15 mil some where to get to the floor

Exactly What players do we sign for 15 mil? that would be better for us , we played that game last summer waiting for "offers of bad contracts" for other assets. We ended up with nothing but expensive vets and "mentors"
Yeah ending up with expensive vets and mentors was a mistake by Vlade. I remember a year ago when I advocated for taking on Demarre Carrols contract and people here only belitteled the assets brooklyn got in return and cheered for these vet signings. But again, maintaining flexibility would have been the right thing to do then and it probably is now too

Yeah ending up with expensive vets and mentors was a mistake by Vlade. I remember a year ago when I advocated for taking on Demarre Carrols contract and people here only belitteled the assets brooklyn got in return and cheered for these vet signings. But again, maintaining flexibility would have been the right thing to do then and it probably is now too
so again who do we spend 15 mil for one year to maintain your flexability? so that next year KK,ZBO,Inman of $33 mil, this yrs cap $26 mil that we preserve that total of $59 mil to spend on What two FA max contracts that dont want to be here?

The whole Idea of this thread is to get suggestions of what Max Free agent you would sign THIS year based on our #2 pick, with the idea that next year the 33mil in enders would allow us to sign a second Max Free agent next year - more likely with our picks and the first FA getting us to playoffs
and making us a desired destination

Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley are two players I would be ok paying big money for - But not the Max. I think one of those guys coming off the bench with either Buddy or Bogdan would make an excellent pairing.

Marcus Smart and Avery Bradley are two players I would be ok paying big money for - But not the Max. I think one of those guys coming off the bench with either Buddy or Bogdan would make an excellent pairing.
I thought they were more 2 guards, but maybe they are combo guards that can play PG, but yes we could use the defense they could bring from the bench

Of course we do have Shumpert that maybe could play with Bogdan as PG with Inman a good defender at the 2?

Players like Nurkic don't tend to stay on the court for long periods of time in the play offs. Capela has been forced to the bench. If Nurkic can't develop into a unicorn big, then he won't stay on the court and is not worth that kinda money. From what I've seen of him I wouldn't pay him that much money, and if we did, it certainly wouldn't be a steal because he's not that good.
Ya she don’t get how people can watch the playoffs and want Nurkic plus he’s not even a good post player.

Which is why JJJ could be an ideal pick if Doncic goes first overall because JJJ can protect the rim, help rebound, and shoot treys to helps with floor spacing.

The thing about total rebounds is like another poster highlighted the other day. Roughly a dozen players averaged double figures. If Willie can boost that stat from 7 by a couple of rebounds per game he'll potentially find himself in the top twenty.

Plus my main point was that we shouldn't pay big money to a more old fashioned big in today's NBA like Capela. He is getting forced off the court and if we have title aspirations we can't afford to have cap space tied up to a player that won't help us win in today's NBA. We can find cheap alternatives to do a job at center via free agency and the draft. So we have no need to pay big money to an old fashioned big.
JJJ's rebounding rate is as bad as Willie's! If JJJ is our pick, then whoever he gets paired with up front needs to be a monster rebounder.

If Giles is as good as advertised and as healthy as we are led to be believed then we have a good rebounder and a decent shot blocker on our hands. Rebounding is one skill that translates to the NBA. JJJ was not good at rebounding the ball in college.

I have a man crush on Marcus Smart. I don't care how poorly he shoots the ball, his defense is incredible. People talk about winning culture....a guy like Smart can change the culture of your team with just one signing. This guy goes after it and his effort is contagious. Not to mention that he can guard 1-4 in many cases. Hell, I've even seen him guard small ball 5's.

so again who do we spend 15 mil for one year to maintain your flexability? so that next year KK,ZBO,Inman of $33 mil, this yrs cap $26 mil that we preserve that total of $59 mil to spend on What two FA max contracts that dont want to be here?

The whole Idea of this thread is to get suggestions of what Max Free agent you would sign THIS year based on our #2 pick, with the idea that next year the 33mil in enders would allow us to sign a second Max Free agent next year - more likely with our picks and the first FA getting us to playoffs
and making us a desired destination
I'd spend it taking in salary dumps to gain assets, hopefully 2019 pick. If I was forced to do some big money signing this year I'd probably consider Aron Gordon. Assuming we take Doncic he'd be pretty much Ideal pf next to him (alltough too expensive), he could guard the better opposing wing while we hide Doncic somewhere else. Streches the floor little bit, he is not a great shooter but makes ~33% and is not afraid to take them so opponent has to respect it. He is also versatile, he can do some switching, he can handle the ball, he can pass ect. All in all valuable player type

But thats only if I was forced to sign someone. Maxing out Gordon I'm not comfortable with. Ideally I'd gain assets and tried to find some diamonds in the ruff wings with unguaranteed 2+1 type of deals.

The more I think about it the more I feel we should hold onto our cap until the iron is hot. That could be next season or the one after that. Double down on developing the current crop of draftees.

The more I think about it the more I feel we should hold onto our cap until the iron is hot. That could be next season or the one after that. Double down on developing the current crop of draftees.
Agreed, I would be looking to take salary dumps in order to gain future draft picks. A few teams could be looking to dump bad contracts like Charlotte (Marvin Williams, Nic Batum), Miami (Whiteside), Knicks (Noah, Lee) etc, so there could be deals to be done that could see us land a 2019 first round pick. Even if we don't get lottery picks, having first rounders outside the lottery can be useful for adding more talent, or packaging in order to move up into the lottery.

Ok I will bite, Batum is a huge contract (76) , but is at least an ok player and can back up Doncic, For a 1st 2019- Yes I do It

Then bite again in Feb if Miami is out of playoffs by Feb, Trade Zbo,Shump for whiteside and another first for 2019 (Miami wont do it) but If we
are taking bad contracts for all our cap space then two good players and 2 2019 1st

Fox,Mason,2nd
Bogdan,Buddy
Luka,Batum,JJ
Giles, WCS, Skal
Whiteside,KK

2 first picks 2019

But really Mike, to get a 1st Rd pick, you really have to take a real bad player on a bad contract (Maybe Noah)
I dont think you get a 1st for a Batum or Whiteside salary dump

So With this yrs cap get Nurkic, Herzona
In feb use next yrs cap KK,Zbo,Shump for Noah,Lee
There we are both Happy

Fox,Mason, 2nd pk
Bogdon, Buddy, Lee
Luka,Herzona, JJ
Giles,Wcs,Skal
Nurkic,Noah

NY 2019 1st

Agreed, I would be looking to take salary dumps in order to gain future draft picks. A few teams could be looking to dump bad contracts like Charlotte (Marvin Williams, Nic Batum), Miami (Whiteside), Knicks (Noah, Lee) etc, so there could be deals to be done that could see us land a 2019 first round pick. Even if we don't get lottery picks, having first rounders outside the lottery can be useful for adding more talent, or packaging in order to move up into the lottery.
Marvin Williams is the perfect solution he’s a very good shooter and defender at PF/SF. He’s exactly what we need offer Charlotte Skal/ZBo/2nd for Marvin

Fox/Mason
Bogdan/Buddy
Doncic/Temple
Williams/Giles
WCS/KK

Signing Bjlecia is another good option but having 3 shooters like that would be amazing.

Marvin Williams is the perfect solution he’s a very good shooter and defender at PF/SF. He’s exactly what we need offer Charlotte Skal/ZBo/2nd for Marvin
Im not sure if that would be enough to get 1 1st pick in 2019 Skal/Zbo would only be a salary dump until 2019 next season

We could use our cap by trading Skal for Williams save them salary for 2 yrs for a 2019 pick
Fox/Mason/2nd pick
Bogdan/Buddy/iman
Doncic/Herzona/JJ
Williams/Giles
WCS/KK/Zbo

or
Fox/Mason/2nd pick
Bogdan/Buddy/iman
Williams/Herzona/JJ
Bagley/Giles
WCS/KK/Zbo

Plus 2019 pick Plus Zbo,KK,Inman for Feb trades

Last edited:
Some people don’t realize. This is the Kings year to pick up a prized free agent. A lot of teams are capped out.

Next year is an entirely different story. Quite a few playoff teams will have cap room.

As much, if not more than the Kings.
Kings are Not attracting All Stars or Good players ever. Unless, it’s for leverage.

The Kings had a lot of cap room last year. Look how they spent it. Randolph, Carter, and Hill.

The Kings have a rare opportunity to make an offer on a restricted free agent and have success. Instead of just being used for leverage. The Kings should be looking at Gordon, Capela, Smart, Bradley, Parker, Randle, etc

Some people don’t realize. This is the Kings year to pick up a prized free agent. A lot of teams are capped out.

Next year is an entirely different story. Quite a few playoff teams will have cap room.

As much, if not more than the Kings.
Kings are Not attracting All Stars or Good players ever. Unless, it’s for leverage.

The Kings had a lot of cap room last year. Look how they spent it. Randolph, Carter, and Hill.

The Kings have a rare opportunity to make an offer on a restricted free agent and have success. Instead of just being used for leverage. The Kings should be looking at Gordon, Capela, Smart, Bradley, Parker, Randle, etc

The Kings made the mistake last year of filling a grab bag at a premium price with whatever was left on the shelves, the smart play is to use that space so another team can play the field while the Kings pick up something tangible and something that for sure fits. Maxing out Capela is a mistake for any team that does it but surely for a team not knowing how he'd fit their system. Gordon and Parker are on teams that probably would rather not see them go and neither team will be hitting the tax to re-sign them. Smart is a good player but the Kings have Fox. You can't expect to sign someone like that at the moment with the enticing role as the new Frank Mason. Obviously we have to see which direction the Kings go draft wise because if they pick and front court player like 90% of the options go right out the window. It might be Vlades last chance to take a page out of the Ainge/Hinkie book of future asset collecting.

Wtching houston play 7-man rotation until they are down 20, then they play ryno. Give us pj tucker and ryno for our cap space. Sjit i would even give up a non-core youngin such as justin or mason to make salaries work.

*of course this is draft dependent i.e. a lot of smokescreens, but im pretty confident vlade likes doncic. I watched bogie play doncic and i thought bogie would outplay doncic WELL HE DID NOT!

Houston will attract free agent so they free up space. We get a lock down defender in pj, stretch four in ryno, and future pick.

Something i would be happy with would be
Ryno, pj, 2019 1st. For
WCS

12-man rotation of

Giles - Koufos
Pj or Ryno- Skal
Doncic- JJ or temple
Buddy- bogdan
Fox- MLE

Cheerleaders/ insurance: zbo, iman, mason

Mid-level would get us back-up point guard. We would have five new additions to 12-man roster (Giles, Pj, Ryno, Doncic, MLE pg). This would improve us at every position except sg.

Last edited:
The Kings made the mistake last year of filling a grab bag at a premium price with whatever was left on the shelves, the smart play is to use that space so another team can play the field while the Kings pick up something tangible and something that for sure fits. Maxing out Capela is a mistake for any team that does it but surely for a team not knowing how he'd fit their system. Gordon and Parker are on teams that probably would rather not see them go and neither team will be hitting the tax to re-sign them. Smart is a good player but the Kings have Fox. You can't expect to sign someone like that at the moment with the enticing role as the new Frank Mason. Obviously we have to see which direction the Kings go draft wise because if they pick and front court player like 90% of the options go right out the window. It might be Vlades last chance to take a page out of the Ainge/Hinkie book of future asset collecting.

I know you're not comparing Ainge to Vlade. Stating Vlade will take a page from the Ainge/Hinkie playbook. Vlade should not even be a GM. He's a figurehead. Ainge has built not one, but 2 very successful franchises. Ainge is a Genius. Vlade is still playing Pac Man and Chainsmoking. No disrespect to your comment. But, Ainge is a 1000 times smarter and more savvy than Vlade.

I know you're not comparing Ainge to Vlade. Stating Vlade will take a page from the Ainge/Hinkie playbook. Vlade should not even be a GM. He's a figurehead. Ainge has built not one, but 2 very successful franchises. Ainge is a Genius. Vlade is still playing Pac Man and Chainsmoking. No disrespect to your comment. But, Ainge is a 1000 times smarter and more savvy than Vlade.
Ainge....
Vlade...
Go!

Wtching houston play 7-man rotation until they are down 20, then they play ryno. Give us pj tucker and ryno for our cap space. Sjit i would even give up a non-core youngin such as justin or mason to make salaries work.

*of course this is draft dependent i.e. a lot of smokescreens, but im pretty confident vlade likes doncic. I watched bogie play doncic and i thought bogie would outplay doncic WELL HE DID NOT!

Houston will attract free agent so they free up space. We get a lock down defender in pj, stretch four in ryno, and future pick.

Something i would be happy with would be
Ryno, pj, 2019 1st. For
WCS

12-man rotation of

Giles - Koufos
Pj or Ryno- Skal
Doncic- JJ or temple
Buddy- bogdan
Fox- MLE

Cheerleaders/ insurance: zbo, iman, mason

Mid-level would get us back-up point guard. We would have five new additions to 12-man roster (Giles, Pj, Ryno, Doncic, MLE pg). This would improve us at every position except sg.

Nice. That looks like a 30 win team

Will Barton.

I'd like to see them go after Dante Exum too, he can be the backup PG while filling in at SG and SF. Just 22 still loads of upside,great kid too.

Bjellica as a backup F could work too.

I don't know about the max. I am afraid that Kings would overpay for whichever high profile FA. I would rather have them acquire underated players offering reasanoble contract to complement young talents they are trying to develop. In a year of two when they improve as a team and are percieved as up and comming team, they can use cap space for a great FA signing.

Two players I'd try to sign for inexpensive contract are Nemanja Bjelica from Wolves and Torrey Craig from Nuggets.

Bjelica is good 3pt shooter, rebounder, passer and defender, capable of playing 3 and 4. Would be perfect strech 4.
Craig is good defender at 3, would be a good backup.

If Kings draft a SF, then I would be interested in Randle and/or Nurkić. Add a bit of nasty, some rebounding, girth and in Nurkić’s case some rally good interior defense.

If Kings draft a big like Bagley or hopefully Ayton, then its time to get a SF/PF. Parker would be my #1 target provided he passes all the medical testing and whatever fancy testing with do with players these days.

Ideally Paul George but we all know that just is not going to happen.

Is this Zach Lowe?

If Kings draft a SF, then I would be interested in Randle and/or Nurkić. Add a bit of nasty, some rebounding, girth and in Nurkić’s case some rally good interior defense.

If Kings draft a big like Bagley or hopefully Ayton, then its time to get a SF/PF. Parker would be my #1 target provided he passes all the medical testing and whatever fancy testing with do with players these days.

Ideally Paul George but we all know that just is not going to happen.
I so agree, Nurkic is young at 23(Fits timeline), rebounds(We need), defends, Nurkic,Giles,WCS is a young big rotation for years
I would think he might like to play with Luka/Bogdan so he might sign a reasonable offer sheet. If Temple opts out get Hezonja also.
Now two SF with potential upside. We have our 2 man SGs, 2 second rounders to back up Fox with Cap next year (Teodosic!) OMG first potential 5 man Euro rotation in the NBA?

I cant help it ! I love this plan!

Last edited:
I wouldn't waste a dime on Nurkic. I watched that entire Portland/Pels series. He sucks. Soft and Worthless the entire 4 games. But, yes it would make sense for the Kings to sign him to a big deal. I would rather the Kings go after Gordon or Randle.

That Euro Rotation won't win you squat in the Western Conference. Actually, the antithesis of what the Kings are trying to build with Fox, Hield, and Giles. Pieces don't match at all. You want to run with Nurkic? With Doncic? Blazers wll gladly move on from Nurkic. He's nothing more than a decent regular season big who threw up in the playoffs.