So What FA do you give the max to match our new #2 Pick

Assuming we go Donic with the 2nd, two FA options intrigue me.
1) Aaron Gordon. We would have a nice mix of athleticism and skilled distributors. Perfect age for our time line and nil significant injury concerns.
2) Not a FA but would absorb most that money...assuming there is any truth behind Denver's 14th to take on Faried. The 14th is the prize in a deep draft.
I'm aware these two, like many other, scenarios have been tossed around, still most other options don't inspire me. I too can't wait until the 21st, enough of the speculation.

Last edited:
Unless the #2 pick or Fox or Giles have a Donovan Mitchell type year, they're going to lose. There are no game changing free agents on the market and there certainly aren't any on the team already. If they forego player development for a half assed attempt to try and win with inferior talent, then it'll just be another blunder in a long line of blunders this franchise has made.
Let’s be clear.... I’m guessing the finish 9-12. I’m not predicting a play-off team in the West. But they will increase their win total
I'll say that I disagree with the former part of your post but I absolutely agree with the latter.

Bogdan's comments seemed a bit over the top. Saying Giles was like a stronger version of Draymond Green. I'll believe it when I see it but the idea of it has me excited.

I think Bogdan can be a real solid 4.5apg player this year just by having more time with the guys with the further development of the younger players and their ability to hit open shots that he helps create for them. Once this guy starts shooting the open shot when it's available instead of foregoing it to run the called play, he's going to start putting serious points on the board too.
It’s not just Bogdan who has said how good Giles will be. I’ve heard he’s the best player on the team right now. Now no one outside the org knows for a fact if it is true but most Kings players and basketball ops people are pretty impressed.

As for Bogdan, I think Giles will help him get the ball when he’s open at the 3 point line. I also think, and he admitted, he suffered from playing since before the 2016 Olympics straight. The kid has more potential especially if he can perfect his step back. Watch out.

Let’s be clear.... I’m guessing the finish 9-12. I’m not predicting a play-off team in the West. But they will increase their win total

It’s not just Bogdan who has said how good Giles will be. I’ve heard he’s the best player on the team right now. Now no one outside the org knows for a fact if it is true but most Kings players and basketball ops people are pretty impressed.

As for Bogdan, I think Giles will help him get the ball when he’s open at the 3 point line. I also think, and he admitted, he suffered from playing since before the 2016 Olympics straight. The kid has more potential especially if he can perfect his step back. Watch out.
Yeah I forgot to mention that. He said he was pretty much exhausted from not being able to take a break. Should be fun to see what a well rested Bogdan can do next year.

It really depends on a number of factors.

Draft a SF (Dončić or Porter Jr.) and the money can be spent on C or a PF.

Draft a big like Bagley and the obvious need becomes the SF. Not sure there is really a SF on the market that would fit AND would want to come to Sacramento. Obviously someone like Paul George would be ideal but that is living with the pixies fantasy.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the team decides not to spend this summer on a significant free agent and wait until the team is a bit more mature and see what we have on our hands.

If we go with Bagley at #2, I would be tempted to take on Faried’s contract and pick someone like Knox at 14. A player with great atherlic tools that can play 3 and 4 and has a lot of upside. Back in our development program to get the best out of them.

It really depends on a number of factors.

Draft a SF (Dončić or Porter Jr.) and the money can be spent on C or a PF.

Draft a big like Bagley and the obvious need becomes the SF. Not sure there is really a SF on the market that would fit AND would want to come to Sacramento. Obviously someone like Paul George would be ideal but that is living with the pixies fantasy.

I also wouldn’t be surprised if the team decides not to spend this summer on a significant free agent and wait until the team is a bit more mature and see what we have on our hands.

If we go with Bagley at #2, I would be tempted to take on Faried’s contract and pick someone like Knox at 14. A player with great atherlic tools that can play 3 and 4 and has a lot of upside. Back in our development program to get the best out of them.
Where do you see Giles playing? I have him at Center with the ability to switch pick and rolls.

I think either Bagley or Porter plays the 4, although they would be very different. If Skal or Willie ever fully develop Porter can swing to 3.

I think we target Hezonja in Free Agency

dude12

Hall of Famer
I don't think there is any reason to target Hezonja on free agency until we know what we got in JJ, our draft pick igent be Doncic or Porter and then Shumpert is going to have to play some 3. We should wait a year to sign FA's when we have a clearer idea of what we got.

I don't think there is any reason to target Hezonja on free agency until we know what we got in JJ, our draft pick igent be Doncic or Porter and then Shumpert is going to have to play some 3. We should wait a year to sign FA's when we have a clearer idea of what we got.
So draft happens before free agency. If we take Doncic then I agree. If we go Porter or Bagley then I think both play the 4.

At that point Hezonja is too big an opportunity to pass on.

1) it is very rare get a shot at 23 year old unrestricted free agents

2) even more so unrestricted free agents who went top 5

3) coming to the US from a foreign country at 19 with no other support is very hard. In his case, having Bogdan around to hang with will make a huge difference

4) having Peja to mentor him will also make a big difference.

I think it’s worth the gamble...

Not a max, but I'd be ALL for throwing a giant chunk of money at Marcus Smart. I see him as an absolute flawless final glue piece to a Fox/Bodan/Buddy/Doncic wing core as a guy who can defend the 1-3 at a high level and bring a level of toughness and energy on both ends of the court we just don't have on the team right now. He's just a flat out difference-maker on the defensive end on the wing, something that's next to impossible to find anymore in the NBA and that versatility for him to guard the best wing player is really valuable.

There's also this:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/6/...shooting-stats-terrible-celtics-offense-works

Now, the offensive splits didn't quite work out that drastic obviously, but the Celtics offense ended up having a +0.3 ORtg better with Smart on the Floor than with him off. That might just be statistical noise in the end, but there must be something to the above article considering how bad Smart is as an individual offensive player. But it's not showing on the team level, which is pretty damn sweet for all the positives he brings elsewhere.

I think something like a 4yr/56 mil contract to Smart would really put a lot of pressure on the Celtics to match. Horford and Hayward maxed for 2 and 3 more years. Kyrie has only 1 more guaranteed year then has a Player Option to opt out. Rozier needs an extension next season. Brown has 2 more years on his rookie deal before he gets a massive raise. Smart just might be a casualty for the Celtics that we can capitalize on.

Not a max, but I'd be ALL for throwing a giant chunk of money at Marcus Smart. I see him as an absolute flawless final glue piece to a Fox/Bodan/Buddy/Doncic wing core as a guy who can defend the 1-3 at a high level and bring a level of toughness and energy on both ends of the court we just don't have on the team right now. He's just a flat out difference-maker on the defensive end on the wing, something that's next to impossible to find anymore in the NBA and that versatility for him to guard the best wing player is really valuable.

There's also this:

https://www.sbnation.com/2017/12/6/...shooting-stats-terrible-celtics-offense-works

Now, the offensive splits didn't quite work out that drastic obviously, but the Celtics offense ended up having a +0.3 ORtg better with Smart on the Floor than with him off. That might just be statistical noise in the end, but there must be something to the above article considering how bad Smart is as an individual offensive player. But it's not showing on the team level, which is pretty damn sweet for all the positives he brings elsewhere.

I think something like a 4yr/56 mil contract to Smart would really put a lot of pressure on the Celtics to match. Horford and Hayward maxed for 2 and 3 more years. Kyrie has only 1 more guaranteed year then has a Player Option to opt out. Rozier needs an extension next season. Brown has 2 more years on his rookie deal before he gets a massive raise. Smart just might be a casualty for the Celtics that we can capitalize on.
I like this idea but if bogdan and buddy keep getting better its gonna cost too much to keep all 3.

I like this idea but if bogdan and buddy keep getting better its gonna cost too much to keep all 3.
Not really. One of the few good things this FO regime has actually done is not cripple our books with a massive FA bust that eats the cap. And we have a real opportunity to try and make a FA splash basically risk-free with how cost-controlled our core is for the foreseeable future. We're in a unique spot where all our old FA money is off the books next year and no one from our core has an extension coming for at least 2 seasons. I'd consider Smart a core piece moving forward. But in theory right, lets take a look:

Bogdan: 2 more years
Buddy: 2 more years
Skal: 2 more years
Fox: 3 more years
Giles: 3 more years
Justin Jackson: 3 more years
Doncic: 4 more years

Smart on a 4-year deal or any FA for that matter just isn't going to hurt us long-term with how our contracts are set up. That's a big reason why I've been strongly pushing to go get a RFA this summer, even on an overpay (Randle, Parker, Gordon, Smart) because we're set up so well to mitigate the risk of a big deal.

I guess if you think WCS is a core piece, then you have to think a little more about the long-term implications with his deal coming up.

Not really. One of the few good things this FO regime has actually done is not cripple our books with a massive FA bust that eats the cap. And we have a real opportunity to try and make a FA splash basically risk-free with how cost-controlled our core is for the foreseeable future. We're in a unique spot where all our old FA money is off the books next year and no one from our core has an extension coming for at least 2 seasons. I'd consider Smart a core piece moving forward. But in theory right, lets take a look:

Bogdan: 2 more years
Buddy: 2 more years
Skal: 2 more years
Fox: 3 more years
Giles: 3 more years
Justin Jackson: 3 more years
Doncic: 4 more years

Smart on a 4-year deal or any FA for that matter just isn't going to hurt us long-term with how our contracts are set up. That's a big reason why I've been strongly pushing to go get a RFA this summer, even on an overpay (Randle, Parker, Gordon, Smart) because we're set up so well to mitigate the risk of a big deal.

I guess if you think WCS is a core piece, then you have to think a little more about the long-term implications with his deal coming up.
I just feel like bogdan might cost a lot to bring back. In the event the #2 pick is Bagley the writing is one the wall willie will b resinged, if it wasnt already

If you draft Ayton, Bagley or Porter you still look to sign a SF. Porter can possibly swing between PF and SF depending on match-ups and development so I would give Hezonja a shot. One reason I like Porter is I think he has positional flexibility between the 3 and 4 so if WCS, Skal or Hezonja develop you have a core 6. Giles, Porter, Fox, Bogdan, Buddy and one of WCS/Skal/Hezonja/JJ. You just need one of them to play the 4 or 3.

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
If Doncic is the pick then Luc Mbah a Moute would be a solid pickup.

Really want you want next to Luka is a speedy PG (Fox, check) a SG that can shoot (Bogdan & Buddy, double check), a rim running big who can set screens (WCS could play that role if he chose) and a stretch four who can also defend at a pretty high level to take pressure off Doncic.

There are a couple stretch fours available in free agency like Ilyasova and Bjelica but neither is useful defensively. Mbah a Moute is a decent outside shooter but more importantly he's still a good defender who can play his role.

If he opts out Thaddeus Young is a more talented and versatile forward but I think I'd rather see what Giles and Skal can do and just bring in a 3&D vet like Luc.

If Bagley, Bamba, Jackson or even Ayton were the pick then the team still needs a SF. I'd argue that would also be the case if they drafted Porter as I think he's more successful as a 4 than a 3.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If Doncic is the pick then Luc Mbah a Moute would be a solid pickup.

Really want you want next to Luka is a speedy PG (Fox, check) a SG that can shoot (Bogdan & Buddy, double check), a rim running big who can set screens (WCS could play that role if he chose) and a stretch four who can also defend at a pretty high level to take pressure off Doncic.

There are a couple stretch fours available in free agency like Ilyasova and Bjelica but neither is useful defensively. Mbah a Moute is a decent outside shooter but more importantly he's still a good defender who can play his role.

If he opts out Thaddeus Young is a more talented and versatile forward but I think I'd rather see what Giles and Skal can do and just bring in a 3&D vet like Luc.

If Bagley, Bamba, Jackson or even Ayton were the pick then the team still needs a SF. I'd argue that would also be the case if they drafted Porter as I think he's more successful as a 4 than a 3.
I seriously doubt if Mbah a Moute would return to Sacramento.

I'll currently go with we're drafting Doncic.

From there I wouldn't max anyone in FA, but could try to pull a max player from another team. For example trading for Whiteside for WCS, 2nd rnd pick, Randolph, so Miami can go for Lebron again.

Some mid level vets I'd look at would be Kentavius Caldwell-Pope, Davis Bertans, Dedmon, or Tyreke.

Fox
Bogs
KCP
Doncic
Whiteside

Would be my ideal 1st lineup in this scenario

Mason
Buddy
Shump/Temple/JJ
Skal/Giles
KK/Dedmon

A healthy Tyreke can play 1-3 off the bench
Bertans is a stretch 4 who's personally torched us
Dedmon is a quality big defensively
KCP balled for LA so he'd command a good amount but could move Doncic to the 4 in small ball lineups.
Whiteside would be dominate with Fox, and would anchor the team with his rebounding/blocking/clean ups

Last edited:
I'll currently go with we're drafting Doncic.

From there I wouldn't max anyone in FA, but could try to pull a max player from another team. For example trading for Whiteside for WCS, 2nd rnd pick, Randolph, so Miami can go for Lebron again.

Some mid level vets I'd look at would be Kentavius Caldwell-Pope, Davis Bertans, Dedmon, or Tyreke.

Fox
Bogs
KCP
Doncic
Whiteside

Would be my ideal 1st lineup in this scenario

Mason
Buddy
Shump/Temple/JJ
Skal/Giles
KK/Dedmon

A healthy Tyreke can play 1-3 off the bench
Bertans is a stretch 4 who's personally torched us
Dedmon is a quality big defensively
KCP balled for LA so he'd command a good amount but could move Doncic to the 4 in small ball lineups.
Whiteside would be dominate with Fox, and would anchor the team with his rebounding/blocking/clean ups
Sadly, Andres Nocioni would be all over Doncic to get out of the Kings if Tyreke returned

Only Free Agents that Fit:
Aaron Gordon: Young, Athletic and still has some upside
Capela: Would be fantastic in the pick and roll. If Lebron goes to Houston.
I don’t see how they will afford Paul, Harden, Lebron and Capela.

Fox and Capela/Whiteside would be like Stockton/Malone. Good luck getting in front of that duo. That should have been Evans/Cousins

Last edited by a moderator: