So What FA do you give the max to match our new #2 Pick

I wouldn't waste a dime on Nurkic. I watched that entire Portland/Pels series. He sucks. Soft and Worthless the entire 4 games. But, yes it would make sense for the Kings to sign him to a big deal. I would rather the Kings go after Gordon or Randle.

That Euro Rotation won't win you squat in the Western Conference. Actually, the antithesis of what the Kings are trying to build with Fox, Hield, and Giles. Pieces don't match at all. You want to run with Nurkic? With Doncic? Blazers wll gladly move on from Nurkic. He's nothing more than a decent regular season big who threw up in the playoffs.
The entire POR team played like crap that’s series. He’s 23 and coming off a good season. He just needs to work on consistency.

I'm a big fan of Smart. He plays ugly but damn can he defend. But who would he supplement in the rotation? Do you pay him big bucks to be the 7th guy off the bench? Fox, Bogdan, Buddy are all ahead of him in the rotation. Unless he starts at 2, but there's no way Bogdan can cover the 3 spot consistently ....

I'm a big fan of Smart. He plays ugly but damn can he defend. But who would he supplement in the rotation? Do you pay him big bucks to be the 7th guy off the bench? Fox, Bogdan, Buddy are all ahead of him in the rotation. Unless he starts at 2, but there's no way Bogdan can cover the 3 spot consistently ....
Smart is a junkyard dog....but I agree it’s not practical to pump a bunch of money into him in FA

Ainge would tell Smart how it was when he played for the Kings. When Danny was a King he told Jerry Reynolds,"Coach I figured out why the Kings are not winning. I'm your best player and when I was on the Celtics I was 3rd or 4th best." He would say, "Marcus you can be the best player on the Kings or come off the Bench in Boston and win it all."

The entire POR team played like crap that’s series. He’s 23 and coming off a good season. He just needs to work on consistency.
Consistency. Nurkic did not even have one decent game the whole series. Not One. So, not showing up for 4 straight games is inconsistent. That's a new definition. He's soft. But, I would not be surprised if the Kings make a run for him. Their won't be a big market for him this offseason.

Randle is the best bet in free agency for the Kings IMO. Then if they draft Doncic they are set for now. If they get Ayton a trade will need to be made to move a Big or two.

Am I the only one who doesn't want Randle????

He's a PF that isn't necessarily a dinosaur in today's game, but he's more of a Derrick Favors..someone who's seen his minutes decrease this year because of his fit with the current NBA. Randle can't shoot 3s at all. As a matter of fact, he can't even shoot mid-ranges. He shot 11/43 the entire year. That's 25.5% at 0.5 mid-range attempts per game.

Yeah Randle is athletic, but he's shown no promise of a jumpshot through 3 years in the NBA. How would that fit alongside Fox? It simply wouldn't. It's why I'm confused on why people think Giles-WCS can be our long term front-court. No way jose...

I'd rather concentrate on trying to develop JJ. They aren't going to win this year anyway so I don't see the point in taking minutes away from Justin. Even if he doesn't pan out its no harm no foul.
Kings will do everything they can to win next year for a number of reasons:

1) a large percent of the fan base is tired of losing even to the point of being unwilling to tank. With no tank benefits they will play whoever earns the time.

2) the Kings have money to spend in free agency. They need to show they have potential to other players so they can sign free agents. The key is Fox, Giles, Bogdanovich, Hield and our 2nd. If Temple/Shumpert makes that core look better that is who they will play. Mason, JJ and Skal will have to earn their time.

Does Nurkic bring that much more to the table than Kosta? We would have to pay him a lot more. Nurkic seems to be hurt often too.
Id rather see us use cap to either go after Gordon, or use it to absorb a bad contract or 2 for assets.

If were talking throw a bunch of $$$at one player i'd say Rodney Hood. I think he could start at SF and score near15ppg.
Hood is more of a SG and even at that position, he's a liability. Can't see him guarding SFs and I'm not a big fan of how his game just mysteriously dropped off once he switched to the Cavs. Going to be an easy pass for me. He's just a high volume scorer to me. He'd be good as a 6th man, but we don't need that right now.

Hood is more of a SG and even at that position, he's a liability. Can't see him guarding SFs and I'm not a big fan of how his game just mysteriously dropped off once he switched to the Cavs. Going to be an easy pass for me. He's just a high volume scorer to me. He'd be good as a 6th man, but we don't need that right now.
He is more of a SG. Lue made a terrible miscalculation DNP'ing Hood in game 1 and 2, one of the worst tactical errors ive seen in the finals.
Will Barton is also more of a SG but i'd try to sign and start him next to Bogdan too, Bartons shorter but longer wingspan.

Hood has a major chip on his shoulder after all thats transpired this season. I like his chances. I've seen him go ballistic too many times.

Plus if the pick is Bagley and sign Hood the Kings will be heavily left handed. They with Bogdan would lead the team in scoring.

1) a large percent of the fan base is tired of losing even to the point of being unwilling to tank. With no tank benefits they will play whoever earns the time.

2) the Kings have money to spend in free agency. They need to show they have potential to other players so they can sign free agents. The key is Fox, Giles, Bogdanovich, Hield and our 2nd. If Temple/Shumpert makes that core look better that is who they will play. Mason, JJ and Skal will have to earn their time.
Unless the #2 pick or Fox or Giles have a Donovan Mitchell type year, they're going to lose. There are no game changing free agents on the market and there certainly aren't any on the team already. If they forego player development for a half assed attempt to try and win with inferior talent, then it'll just be another blunder in a long line of blunders this franchise has made.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

I disagree to some extent. I think a large percentage of the fan base wants to go to a game and be entertained. A good game by the kids, win or lose, is entertaining. A large percentage of the fan base (especially those who pay to put their butts in the seats) never wanted to "tank" anyway.

The Kings aren't going to throw away all the progress they've made by a win-at-all-costs attitude. They're going to continue to develop the kids. As Joerger said, this year "the training wheels will be off" meaning the kids will have to learn to play through their mistakes more than they did last year. While I agree they will "play whoever earns the time" I think it will be more youth-oriented.

Unless the #2 pick or Fox or Giles have a Donovan Mitchell type year, they're going to lose. There are no game changing free agents on the market and there certainly aren't any on the team already. If they forego player development for a half assed attempt to try and win with inferior talent, then it'll just be another blunder in a long line of blunders this franchise has made.
No one is saying a playoff team. I expect we will increase our win total 7-10 games this year. I think if players like Skal, Jackson and Mason don’t show they deserve to be on the court we will play the vets instead. The kids have to earn their time.

I disagree to some extent. I think a large percentage of the fan base wants to go to a game and be entertained. A good game by the kids, win or lose, is entertaining. A large percentage of the fan base (especially those who pay to put their butts in the seats) never wanted to "tank" anyway.

The Kings aren't going to throw away all the progress they've made by a win-at-all-costs attitude. They're going to continue to develop the kids. As Joerger said, this year "the training wheels will be off" meaning the kids will have to learn to play through their mistakes more than they did last year. While I agree they will "play whoever earns the time" I think it will be more youth-oriented.
This

I will say this...

I think this team is going to be very good. In my experience working with Europeans they typically don’t blow smoke up people’s butts like Americans can do. Given Bogdan’s and others comments on Giles I think he will be as good as advertised.

I think Bogdan will be an improved player also. To me how high this team goes comes down to Fox and getting this pick right.

I will say this...

I think this team is going to be very good. In my experience working with Europeans they typically don’t blow smoke up people’s butts like Americans can do. Given Bogdan’s and others comments on Giles I think he will be as good as advertised.

I think Bogdan will be an improved player also. To me how high this team goes comes down to Fox and getting this pick right.
I think this team will do better than people expect as well. Both Buddy and Bogdan will show improvement next year. Giles will have his growing pains throughout the year just like anyone else would, but I think he will show why everyone is excited and will give us a different look at the 4/5. Even WCS might become a little more blue collar as it is his contract year. The key is getting the #2 right (whoever ends up being the pick) and what type of improvement Fox shows. And for the 19/20 season all the vets come off the books. We will have more money than God.

Is WCS still seen as a piece moving forward?

Center IMO is our biggest need, assuming we don’t draft JJJ. Lots of options, lots. Good summer of center in FA. Nurkic/ Capela/Noel/Jordan etc. Blazers/Rockets flirting with cap issues. Clips will re-sign Harrell or Jordan, not both. I still see some untapped potential in Noel

I will say this...

I'll say that I disagree with the former part of your post but I absolutely agree with the latter.

Bogdan's comments seemed a bit over the top. Saying Giles was like a stronger version of Draymond Green. I'll believe it when I see it but the idea of it has me excited.

I think Bogdan can be a real solid 4.5apg player this year just by having more time with the guys with the further development of the younger players and their ability to hit open shots that he helps create for them. Once this guy starts shooting the open shot when it's available instead of foregoing it to run the called play, he's going to start putting serious points on the board too.