So, is Marvin living up to expectations? (split)

How is Bagley comparing to your expectations?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Very very promising... he struggled in summer league where undrafted and players fighting for their lives gave him 110%, and they game planned for him coaching wise. In the NBA, he has had more freedom to do what he does best. No way some 8-10 year vet wants to deal with his motor on a nightly basis.

Not sure if he's projecting out as an All-Star level player, but fringe for sure.

Still lots to work on, but he's a difficult match-up already.

Living up to expectations? I guess there are different ways to answer this. He’s better than in SL and early preseason. He’s at a level now where we can look forward to his progress and not have to complain in the game threads. But I still, as of today, hold him not up to expectations for 2 as on draft day, and slotted to get Vlade fired given the class. But that’s as of today, we will see how it plays out

Living up to expectations? I guess there are different ways to answer this. He’s better than in SL and early preseason. He’s at a level now where we can look forward to his progress and not have to complain in the game threads. But I still, as of today, hold him not up to expectations for 2 as on draft day, and slotted to get Vlade fired given the class. But that’s as of today, we will see how it plays out
I get where you are coming from, but I'd say that he's living up to expectations definitely. He's averaging 13 and 7 through preseason and our first 3 games on about 24 minutes a game. I know personally that I was not expecting that so soon. The season is early still so we'll see if he keeps it up. But even if he isn't living up to personal expectations, i think we can all agree that he looks like he can definitely be an above average nba starter.

About where I thought he would be after the draft. Easy 10/10 guy. Ahead where I thought he would be after SL. He looked pretty damn horrible.

Listening to Doug and Grant. Barring injury, we got ourselves a ten year all star with a great attitude.

And he's barely scratching the surface. Mark my words, his template is Giannis. That's who I think the Kings are going to mold him after. He has a strong handle. Can easily see him grabbing a board and going coast to coast.

gunks

Hall of Famer
About what I expected stat-wise. Watching him play, you can see that the future is very bright.

There's going to be a lot of rookies who have a better year than Bagley, but I think that 3-4 seasons from now he'll be in the conversation as one of the best in this class and worthy of the 2nd pick.

He and Fox will be a fun pairing too. That's going to be the identity right there for the next decade if all breaks right.

Bagley has been terrific. I have said time and time again that when you add athleticism with determination and a desire to be great, you get something special. That is Bagley. As to the need for Bagley to use his right hand that will come in time. Until then he will go left. And you know what? He will score. Even though the defender suspects Bagley will go left, he is so quick with his first step he can still score. I will try an analogy from another sport I love...tennis. If you have a great forehand and as a result of that weapon you are winning your matches, who cares that you may have a weak backhand?

I'm liking what I'm seeing from him just about everywhere. He's showing us signs of what could be to come in the future.

Only complaints at the moment are his outside shot and his hands when it comes to grabbing rebounds. Seems like he has about 3 or 4 rebounds in traffic go off his hands every game. Would like to see him be able to corral those rebounds in the way Cousins used to. If he's able to do that, he will not only have a bunch of put backs but he will also get to the line a ton because teams will be forced to foul him or let him score.

one more complaint to add to that, or an area for improvement, in the Thunder game he would create an advantage by drawing in a double team and then squander it by trying to score through those defenders while there are open 3 pt shooters. on one play Yogi was yelling at him "he was wide open". I am attributing this to his wish to prove himself and once he settles in I'm hoping he just makes the right basketball play... other than that looks very promising, improving rapidly. even his missed threes in the Pels game looked good to me...

2 years in a row where the draft class was littered with star potential players and the Kings were able to swoop up on 2 of the elite prospects in those drafts. Yet people are stressed over not having a draft pick in a draft that’s expected to not be as bountiful as the last 2. I don’t get it.
Hitting on the last two drafts has nothing to do with giving up our pick this year, to be fair. There are some really good prospects in the upcoming draft too and I don't expect us to have a good record this year. That said, no point beating a dead horse, at least not in this thread. Hopefully we'll pick up a first rounder somewhere along the way.

2 years in a row where the draft class was littered with star potential players and the Kings were able to swoop up on 2 of the elite prospects in those drafts. Yet people are stressed over not having a draft pick in a draft that’s expected to not be as bountiful as the last 2. I don’t get it.
I think I get it. Or at least I'll take a shot at it. We've been bad for so long that for many of us, the draft lottery is about redemption. It's about believing that that's where our fortunes will change. So it's hard to let go and believe that we already have the lottery picks we need to form a strong core for the trip to the promised land.
Sorry for the biblical references, but I do see it as a sort-of faith based issue. ;-)

2 years in a row where the draft class was littered with star potential players and the Kings were able to swoop up on 2 of the elite prospects in those drafts. I don’t get it.
Excellent post.

Yet people are stressed over not having a draft pick in a draft that’s expected to not be as bountiful as the last 2.
It's been rumored for a few years now that NBA scouts think this upcoming draft crop is filled with with kids who've got pampered entitled attitudes. Thats one of the ways projected top5 pick Nassir Little separated himself from the pack, he's an upper echelon "junkyard dog".

Kings will be just fine tho. It'll take some time but people will soon realize, Sacramento is part of the Have's not the Have-not's.

Bagley's play has eased my anxiety aftet an alatming Summer league. Now that the wait is over and ive got to see him play a few games, love what i see.

The worrie for me was always that Vlade might have swung and missed while all star level players were picked all around us.

Its about 3 to 5 years down the road. He has Sooooo much growth left in his game can easily become a monster. Bithe is waybahead of the curve. Evem with the pick looking long term, he could be in the top 5 rookies this year. Especially with his defense.

Love seeing him use that quickness to be able to collect the blocks he is finding each game!

Also, how big is he? He looks the same size as WCS from my tv screen. Definitely bigger than Harry (poor harry getting shoved around last few games). Did he grow since college?

I'm loving what I've seen from Bagley so far, but I remember what happened to Fox last year. He had a couple of early successes, but then he found out what it means when NBA defenses have film on you. Wall and Lillard absolutely destroyed him. I think Fox's injury in December-January could have been the best thing that happened to him because he had to sit and watch and learn for a while. When he came back after the All Star break, he was vastly improved. So I want to see how Bagley responds once the defenses have some film on him. Then, I think, we'll have a clearer picture on his likely development path.
Alot of Bagley's points come from running on fastbreaks or hanging out around the basket at the end of a play. His post moves arent new and everyone knows that he is left hand dominant. If you and I know these things, rest assured that NBA players do too.

I’ll be honest. Far far far far far surpassing them.

Though to also be honest, my knowledge about him wasn’t as much as other (Yeah, singular) and I kind of only keyed in on Bagley’s weaknesses.
At least your'e honest and upfront about it rather than the other dude who basically made up his mind the guy is a bust based on some realGM poll like that's expert opinion.

Alot of Bagley's points come from running on fastbreaks or hanging out around the basket at the end of a play. His post moves arent new and everyone knows that he is left hand dominant. If you and I know these things, rest assured that NBA players do too.
Jokic scored 0 points with his left hand yesterday. I don't even think he drove to his left once. Teams still can't stop him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
What can make Bagley super-special is that he has is excellent in both fluidity and explosiveness. You normally don't see the combination of the two, even in All Star players. Two examples of a players that are excellent in one of those characteristics are Blake Griffin and DeRozan. Griffin is explosive, not fluid. DeRozan is fluid, not particularly explosive. If you think about players in the history of the NBA, especially front court players, there just aren't that many who have both of those attributes in abundance.