Smart Like A Fox: De’Aaron Is Here To Stay (Interview with Carmichael Dave)

(audio of the interview in the bottom of page)
https://khtk.com/13943/carmichael-dave-fox/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

• Said his legs got weak and he had to go lay down after signing his deal. probably a proportional response to sudden generational wealth being attained.
  • Left Folsom to be closer to the arena, have better late-night food options and have a gated community.
  • Said he understand that what’s being built here is a process. Compared it to GS; they weren’t a championship contender the moment Steph and Klay got there. Knows that they’ll keep making the right moves and get there eventually.
  • People that know him know he doesn’t do too much, he’s good with the small-town vibes of Sacramento.
  • Wants to bring back winning basketball to Sacramento; that’s the most important thing to him. To win with this franchise, the guys here, that would be a success to him.
  • Doesn’t think he plays for the clout. Has turned down a lot of offers for sponsorship, ads, and things like that. Wants to work on being more involved in the community without doing endorsement type things.
  • On Haliburton vocalizing this is where he wanted to be and wanting to play with him: Wants to expand his game to be able to compliment him so they can both play on ball and off-ball. Says great teams have multiple guys that can make plays for others, so he wants to be effective both ways.

Fox is extremely smart, and has a preternatural understanding of the business of the NBA—the game within the game. We will put together a consistent winner with Fox as the foundation. I can understand Vivek’s decision in the summer of 2018. Fox will reel in that supernova star soon—a free agent, disgruntled star (via trade) or generational talent draftee out there will see this as the opportunity to shine.

I don’t pretend to be a draft expert. Like many fans, I follow these kids from college on and latch on to my favorites. Fox was one of two kids the past 7 years that I really was vocal about in terms of wanting the KINGS to draft him.

I was ecstatic on draft night when they got him and I’m still ecstatic today. The article above is one of many reasons why. This kid cares mostly about the right things. And has a level of maturity that supersedes many of his peers.

I fully remember the 19 year old that was crying after Kentucky lost to UNC in the tourney. I‘ll always be partial to players that care about winning and losing like that. Yes, I know, I’m a sucker for feeling that way. ;)

Last edited: