Smart and Geoff on the Draft

There are several reasons I'm upset with selling the 2nd round pick:

1. It implies that the Kings are going to keep all the dead weight (Outlaw/Salmons/Garcia) on the team when the logical thing is to cut their losses and get rid of them (amesty, buyout, etc). So basically the Kings are saying, "We have no room for a young player because of our past mistakes and we have no intention of fixing said mistakes." You know what I'd do? Buyout Outlaw! There's you open spot right there! Seriously, who'd you rather have on the team: Outlaw or Quincy Miller?

2. They're OK with paying Travis Outlaw $9 millions to do nothing but decide to cheap out and save a few hundred thousands bucks at the expensive of a young exciting player. It's no wonder the owners are such bad businessmen.

3. The Kings apparently hasn't caught on that no FA we'd want is going to come here, unless the thinking is that Rasual Butler, Josh Howard or Damien Wilkins is the answer at SF! Guys like Quincy Miller, even as a rookie, may already be better than any of the SF the Kings have a chance of getting. Now it scares me a little that Kings will have to overpay some mediocre SF to come play in this town.

4. Even if the roster is at 14 now, things can happen during the summer; the roster can be trimmed to 13 or 12 in one single trade.

5. Now, it's possible GP has something up his sleeve and I'll find out next week that Ak47 is coming to Sac. But until then... I'll continue to be pissed.

Last edited:

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
You are talking like we have owners with money.
Well, yeah. There's always that. But that's the counter argument to everything at this point isn't it? ;) Why don't we hire a real coach? Maloofs. Why don't we sign so and so? Maloofs. We all know what's going on, unfortunately. I don't want to bring the sword of Damocles into every conversation.

OK, my thoughts on the subject. First, I'm pleased with the Robinson pick. I find it amusing that no matter what Petrie would have done, a lot of you were going to find fault with him. No matter what he says is a lie, or he's just plain stupid. Well I believe that anyone that truely believes that, is stupid!! And I mean that sincerely. Petrie doesn't own the team, the Maloofs do, and thats where whatever blame there is should be directed. I have no idea what restrictions he's operating under, but its probably not much fun right now. I really doubt that Petrie forgot how to evaluate talent. I haven't, and I'm 70 years old.

I also doubt that he's forgotten about defense. He was standing at a press conference to talk about Robinson. So in the moment he forgot to mention something! So what? He's not on trial under oath. My god people, lighten up. All this constant negatism is about to drive me off this fourm, and I also mean that sincerely.

Now, about needing shooting. He's dead right. Out outside shooting is poor at best. Anyone know who our best outside shooter was? Huh? Take a guess.

let me list them for you from worse to best.

Tyreke Evans: 20.2%
Travis Outlaw: 26.7%
John Salmons: 29.5%
Terrence Williams: 29.6%
Marcus Thornton: 34.5%
Jimmer Fredette: 36.1%
I. Thomas: 37.9%

Just because we have a lot of so called shooters, doesn't mean we have good shooters. The only two players that come close to respectable are Jimmer and IT. And both were rookies. Now in some sense, the fact that the two best were rookies does bode well for the future, but in the short term, we could use a good 3pt shooter. Someone that shoots 40 plus percent.

As for as the Maloofs selling the second round pick, the only thing that upset me was that I sat there and waited for the pick. Other than that, what Petrie said made perfect sense. The Kings have 12 players under contract without resigning JT or Williams. If they were to resign both, we would be at our limit. If were to add another player, its needs to be someone that can contribute right away, and not be a young 2nd round player that will probably only take up bench space.

Now I realize that makes too much sense and doesn't fit into the bashing scenario a lot of you have, but I do try to deal in logic and not in emotion borne out of anger, or woulda, coulda, shoulda! So if you excuse me, I'm going back to my patio and stare at the ocean. And start working on next years draft!
I am King Baller and I approve this post.

KB

Selling a second right pick is whatever. Neither here nor there. The only reason it registers on my radar is because Quincy Miller was still on the board and I thought he had top 10 talent if he can rehab his knee with an NBA quality trainer like the guy DWade worked with a couple seasons ago. That's top 10 in the draft talent. If you have a chance to take somebody like that in the second round, you do it. Honeycutt hasn't shown me anything to suggest bringing him back should be a priority. Salmons and Outlaw are dead weight and Hayes wasn't a very positive factor for us last year. We have bodies on our roster, yes. But do we really want all of those guys back?

That being said, I'm over it already. He might pan out, he might not. There's other work to be done.
Disagree. It's an indefensible move. Picks in the early 2nd round have value. If the FO really wanted to maintain roster and cap flexibility, I am fine not drafting a player (though like you wanted Miller). But at least draft and stash an international player or trade the pick for a future second round pick. Burning an asset so the Maloofs can make some extra money is awful.

If they had been great owners, paying over the cap and it was a late second round pick - then I wouldn't love it, but I would at least understand. But to sell an early second round pick when you are hovering around the salary floor is a sign that you shouldn't be owing a professional basketball team.

I think Thornton tries very hard on defense. I've watched him carefully on this. I just don't think he has the ability; he just can't keep up with other 2s around the league. At least other starting 2s.
Half his problem is gambling for steals. Kevin Martin had the same problem. Having a bad defender stand in front of a guy to challenge shots or attempt to stay in frnot of him on a drive is better than having no defender at all.

rainmaker mentioned this from a jason jones tweet and sam amick also mentioned it in his grades but one of the main reasons im glad we picked up thomas robinson...the fact we might have picked dion waiters if MKG fell to us. smh

link

If Waiters turns out to be Westbrook, then it's nothing to shake your head about. We'll see though.
i heard the next dwayne wade but either way that's not the point. considering we had 7 players that could play the guard position we didnt need to draft another guard, especially if it was a reach. we needed a sf or another big. if petrie would have passed on a sf that not only fit our need perfectly, but was also projected a top 5 pick, i would have been pissed.

i heard the next dwayne wade but either way that's not the point. considering we had 7 players that could play the guard position we didnt need to draft another guard, especially if it was a reach. we needed a sf or another big. if petrie would have passed on a sf that not only fit our need perfectly, but was also projected a top 5 pick, i would have been pissed.
So if Westbrook or Wade was in this draft you would pass on them because of the guards on our roster and take a player like Barnes?

That's the sort of reasoning that got Portland drafting Sam Bowie instead of Jordan. You always go with the BPA and sort out the rest of the mess later.

So if Westbrook or Wade was in this draft you would pass on them because of the guards on our roster and take a player like Barnes?
no, if there is a player projected 6-10 that someone said "can" be the next wade, like drummond "can" be the next dwight howard, i would pass on them for MKG

no, if there is a player projected 6-10 that someone said "can" be the next wade, like drummond "can" be the next dwight howard, i would pass on them for MKG
Westbrook was projected at 8-12. But I get your point.

Personally, I had Waiters behind MKG on my draft board, but I had him ahead of Barnes. I would not have been mad if Petrie picked him 5th. Though if he passed on MKG for him, it would have put a lot of pressure on Petrie to be right.

You pass on Hibbert for JT and you get chided for it. But people remember all the question marks and that Hibbert dropped for a reason. You pass on Waiters for MKG and if it turns out similarly you get fired. Or you continue serving as GM of the Pistons for another decade and lock up role players to exorbitantly high contracts. Either one.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Selling a second right pick is whatever. Neither here nor there. The only reason it registers on my radar is because Quincy Miller was still on the board and I thought he had top 10 talent if he can rehab his knee with an NBA quality trainer like the guy DWade worked with a couple seasons ago. That's top 10 in the draft talent. If you have a chance to take somebody like that in the second round, you do it. Honeycutt hasn't shown me anything to suggest bringing him back should be a priority. Salmons and Outlaw are dead weight and Hayes wasn't a very positive factor for us last year. We have bodies on our roster, yes. But do we really want all of those guys back?

That being said, I'm over it already. He might pan out, he might not. There's other work to be done.
Well as you know, I'm a Quincy Miller fan, so I was certainly aware of his availablity. Kyle O'Quinn was also there, who I really liked. But at the same time, I don't know what irons they might have in the fire, so I wasn't going to get too worked up over it. Now if Jeffery Taylor had slid all the way to us, then you would have heard some profantities from down in baja.