Skal Labissiere

I was impressed with his poise in this game. In recent games I thought he looked a little lost or indecisive at times. Not only did he show that smooth touch and good footwork this game but he was within the offense and well-spaced and worked well with his teammates which has me very excited for his future. I have no doubts there will be tough games for him but I trust that he will work hard and trust that hard work and preparation during games.

Dennis Smith has been falling like crazy the last two mocks. Most mocks have him going right in our range.
I'd take him but he's not my first choice his attitude needs to change

Although I see Orlando taking him they can't move toward with Peyton starting, unless they take Issac or Tatum.

I'd say where we'd be drafting best case is getting Issac/Fox. That's 2 very good defenders at important positions and we'd be huge with WCS/Skal/Issac.

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Dennis Smith has been falling like crazy the last two mocks. Most mocks have him going right in our range.
Some players, like Tatum, Markkanen, Fox, etc. have gotten better as the season progressed. Smith has gotten worse, and that's why he's fallen. I don't think he's a particularly good fit on the Kings. He's a pretty ball dominate player, who has a questionable three point shot. If he's sitting there and I have to choose between Smith and Fox, I'm taking Fox, or Monk, or Markkanen. There are two types of fit. One is a need at a particular position. The other is a need of players that can, or are willing to play a certain style of basketball. Smith fits one, but not the other. At this point, I think getting players that fit the style of play that you want to play is more important than they fit the position you need.

Having said all that, I do think Smith is going to be a good player in the league. He's too talented not to be. He just strikes me as one of those players that's not willing to work hard enough to get to that next level. Of course it's just my opinion and I've been wrong many times.

Some players, like Tatum, Markkanen, Fox, etc. have gotten better as the season progressed. Smith has gotten worse, and that's why he's fallen. I don't think he's a particularly good fit on the Kings. He's a pretty ball dominate player, who has a questionable three point shot. If he's sitting there and I have to choose between Smith and Fox, I'm taking Fox, or Monk, or Markkanen. There are two types of fit. One is a need at a particular position. The other is a need of players that can, or are willing to play a certain style of basketball. Smith fits one, but not the other. At this point, I think getting players that fit the style of play that you want to play is more important than they fit the position you need.

Having said all that, I do think Smith is going to be a good player in the league. He's too talented not to be. He just strikes me as one of those players that's not willing to work hard enough to get to that next level. Of course it's just my opinion and I've been wrong many times.
No that's a great analysis. I'm personally not sold on either Smith or Fox. Based on what I've seen the guy I like is Frank Ntilikina from France. He's got a good feel for the game and is crazy athletic. But if it came down to it and our choice was between Lauri and Smith, I'd pray we'd go Smith.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
No that's a great analysis. I'm personally not sold on either Smith or Fox. Based on what I've seen the guy I like is Frank Ntilikina from France. He's got a good feel for the game and is crazy athletic. But if it came down to it and our choice was between Lauri and Smith, I'd pray we'd go Smith.
I have watched a ton of film, some of it game film, on Ntilikina, and I've yet to see anything I don't like. Or at least anything that leaps out as a red flag. I wish I could have seen him play against some of his competition in the draft, but it is what it is. If he is as advertised, he's going to be a hell of a player. I can only assume that the Kings scouting staff has seen him play plenty of times. I can understand you have some reservations about Fox, but personally I don't. Of course I've probably seen him play more than any other PG in the draft (no offense to Ball or Fultz), and I think he's going to be a very good player, even if he struggles a little with his outside shot. But if he can become a good outside shooter, I'm predicting right now, your looking at a potential superstar.

Someone criticized his passing. Most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. He's a terrific passer, and one of the best full court outlet passers I've ever seen. When you consider how fast he plays, and how few turnovers has, it's amazing. Another encouraging thing is that in his last six games he shooting 58% from the three. Granted, its a very tiny sampling, but none the less, it's nice to see.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
I would like to point out that I advocated for trading Cousins away towards the beginning of this season with the primary reason being Skal. A position as moderator will do just fine. Thank you.
It takes a lot more than that! Dashing good looks. Sharp, biting humor. Grace under pressure. Pipes better than James Earl Jones. Platinum-level MENSA membership.

Keep working at it, maybe you can get there someday! :p

We should Draft BPA. Skal is the real deal but anything is possible. Regardless we need to walk out with a PG in this draft. I'm still undecided between Bridges and Isaac for the second pick. Could be an easy choice as Isaac could be gone before we pick.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well then, how about BPA but not including any BPA who is not a good fit for the Kings? :D
Yeah, I think whom ever we choose has to fit the style of basketball the Kings are trying to play. I think the worse thing they could do would be to draft a ball dominate player. That's why I was concerned with Tatum earlier in the year. But as the year has gone on, he's shown the ability to share the ball, and play off the ball.

Yeah, I think whom ever we choose has to fit the style of basketball the Kings are trying to play. I think the worse thing they could do would be to draft a ball dominate player. That's why I was concerned with Tatum earlier in the year. But as the year has gone on, he's shown the ability to share the ball, and play off the ball.
Tatum would be good as a potential go-to scorer.

But I also really like the idea of Ntilinka and Isaac.

Can you imagine what kind of defensive team Joerger could mold with:

Ntilinka
Temple
Isaac
Labissiere
Cauley-Stein

on the floor?

They could switch everything and still not be left vulnerable to anything other than aggressive post up players. Which is why you have Papagiannis and ideally some big bodied vets at other positions.

As frustrated as I was after the trade (and continue to be honestly) there is a possible path forward for the Kings that starts a real turnaround.

If we draft Fox at 5. At 10 we may have to chose BPA between Collins, Markaren, Frank N, etc.

If we pick BPA at 10, we may be picking up another big man in Collins or Markarren at 10.

What do people think about the possibility of Skal being able to swing between PF and SF?

Skal's game kind of reminds me of Jonathan Issac's game and they have a similar slight frame. People are saying Issac can be a small forward/power forward hybrid.

If Issac can be projected as a SF, I think Skal can develop into a similar PF/SF hybrid. Skal shot 37.5% from 3 last year and he has a sweet mid range game.

If Skal is able to play some small forward, that opens up more possibilities at #10 for us.

Last edited:
If we draft Fox at 5. At 10 we may have to chose BPA between Collins, Markaren, Frank N, etc.

If we pick BPA at 10, we may be picking up another big man in Collins or Markarren at 10.

What do people think about the possibility of Skal being able to swing between PF and SF?

Skal's game kind of reminds me of Jonathan Issac's game and they have a similar slight frame. People are saying Issac can be a small forward/power forward. If Issac can be projected as a SF, I think Skal can develop into a similar PF/SF hybrid. Skal shot 37.5% from 3 last year and he has a sweet mid range game.

If Skal is able to play some small forward, that opens up more possibilities at #10 for us.

Can he defend at a high level at the 3 position?

Skal's game kind of reminds me of Jonathan Issac's game and they have a similar slight frame. People are saying Issac can be a small forward/power forward hybrid.

If Issac can be projected as a SF, I think Skal can develop into a similar PF/SF hybrid. Skal shot 37.5% from 3 last year and he has a sweet mid range game.

I have my doubts. He can do it vs stationary shooter types like a Steve Novak but thats a dying breed in todays NBA. He does have lateral quicks, thats quite a leap though.

Jonathan Isaac not too long ago was 6'6" and a wing player, he then hit a 3" growth spurt and flew up the rankings, so It's not the cleanest of comparisons. They're on different ends of the early bloomer - late bloomer spectrum. That being said if he can pull it off his value will skyrocket, I wouldn't rule it out but it'd be something just seen for MAYBE 5-10 minutes a game. Defense is the issue, offensively he can pull it off for sure, it's not beyond his skill level or athletic grade.

Just because the body types are similar doesn't mean it's much of a reliable indicator, ask Austin Daye..

I wouldn't hesitate to draft Lauri or Collins or another big because of Skal though. They can worry about that down the line, for now it's best to stock the warchest full with the best assets possible and those type of players have a chance to be bigtime bargains on rookie deals in just a season or 2.

Skal wasn't even able to stay in front of PFs last year. They blew around him numerous times. He'd be a fish out of water against any average SF.

Skal wasn't even able to stay in front of PFs last year. They blew around him numerous times. He'd be a fish out of water against any average SF.
I don't think that power forwards blew by him so much, but more the PF blew through him.

Which is why he may be better suited to guard small forwards.

I don't think that power forwards blew by him so much, but more the PF blew through him.

Which is why he may be better suited to guard small forwards.
We will have to see then. Seems like we see different things in him because I think his lateral quickness is very slow for a guy that's that skinny. I noticed them blowing by him quite a bit on top of going through him as well. Him being skinny and being lost on defense are things he can overcome but I don't see him ever being able to guard small forwards. Honestly I hope you're right because he would have quite an advantage at the position.

You can hide skal on certain small forwards to maybe open up some PT, but not enough that you can pencil him in as any part of a SF rotation. He is a 4 who should play some 5 when he adds bulk.
It's like when the Kings were playing swing men at the 4. Matchups can let you do that periodically, but in no way can you rely on those guys eating up minutes there.

We will have to see then. Seems like we see different things in him because I think his lateral quickness is very slow for a guy that's that skinny. I noticed them blowing by him quite a bit on top of going through him as well. Him being skinny and being lost on defense are things he can overcome but I don't see him ever being able to guard small forwards. Honestly I hope you're right because he would have quite an advantage at the position.
Offensively, I think Skal would have a pretty good advantage over other small forwards. He is tall and long and has great hang time. His shooting is pretty sweet too.

Also, if we draft Fox at 5, he and Buddy would be handling most of the ball handling, so Skal can be moving and cutting to get open to score.

The big question mark is defense, but Skal struggled against stronger power forwards who could bully him around, like Blake Griffin did last year. Physically, I think he would match up better against small forwards, like Harrison Barnes, Chandler Parsons, Wilson Chandlers type small forwards.

He made some offensive moves that showed a level of lateral quickness rare in PFs but he was abused on the perimeter. Could be a technical issue as opposed to a physical issue. He is a power forward tho.

We need to see progress in his ball handling next year. That should be his focus and of course getting stronger and learning how to defend in the NBA. Dude started playing basketball late in life and missed his last 2 years of HS ball. Hes going to be a good player. Really good.

Skal came very late to basketball and it shows. He was lost (and misused at Kentucky) and while he gave good effort he had lots of lapses as a rookie this last season.

But Joerger and staff have already obviously stressed to him the value of being in position over trying to block everything like he did in college, often getting himself out of position badly in the process. He's a sponge, by all accounts a hard worker and WANTS to be better. He's already added significant muscle and will continue to do so. His frame doesn't look like it will allow him to pack a lot of weight on, but as long as his functional strength gets better and he gains experience he'll be fine in time.

Buddy will give good effort but likely never be great on that end. But having more scoring help will mean he can put more energy into his defense. If the Kings draft Fox and he learns to use his speed and effort to really be a good defender (right now he's out position too often) that will help. Willie and Papa growing into better anchors in the middle would also be huge. The Kings won't be good defensively for a couple seasons. That's just the result of having so many young guys. But in time, I think they can be good or very good on that end under Joerger and staff.

He's the real deal folks. This franchise needed this. Now let's go get BPA in this Draft.
If by BPA you mean Best Point guard Available, I'm all with you.

It's a bit of a secret but our team is actually STACKED with talent. WCS = real deal. Skal = real deal. Hield = real deal. Papa = real deal.

Every single one of these guys has a long, solid future in the NBA, with a couple potential future all-starts/borderline all-stars.

We need that point guard to bring it all together.

And this isn't even taking into account Bogdan, and the #10 this year.