Sim update

On the back of a 26 pt 17 rb, 11 block performance against the D-fenders, thought it would be a good time to post an update on the big guy. He's steadily improved each month and become someone to keep an eye on in February.

14.7 PPG, 8.7 RPG, 3.7 BPG on 72% shooting. Perhaps most importantly, all of this in 29 MPG. And he's at 32 MPG in his last 5.

Here's his highlights from the D-Fenders game. And while he's got a long way to go with his weight still, he does look like he's dropped about 15-20 pounds from the beginning of the season. And considering he got tired after 3 trips up and down the court in summer league, I'd say being able to play 29 MPG in the circus that is Reno is pretty good progress.

Any of these developments convince you he could possibly help this team next year?

Last edited:
Nice to see, I'm not sure what we have to insure he stays here though because he was undrafted.

But this is what the development league should be for, every team should have a project big IMO.

With his size, even 10 minutes every other game could have value as the 11-12th man.

Looks like he had a good game and they lost by almost 30. Unfortunately, not a game changing performance. But hopefully he continues to improve.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Unfortunately he will never be good enough to play on an NBA roster.
With his size and a nice little shooting touch, really for him the only thing he has to be able to do to be worthy of at least a few 12th man Aaron Gray cups of coffee is show he can run up and down the floor. That's it. Also why he really needs to have lost even more weight. He shows he can change ends he has the massive size to be an impediment inside, and the soft hands/touch to not be a complete hole on the other end.

Sim is a skilled guy from the little I saw of him in Summer league. If he dropped more weight and gets that pudgy body in decent shape he would be much more than a 12th man or hole on the offensive end. Looks like he is on the right track. Looking forward to him and Cousins intimidating other teams in years to come. Domination of the offensive glass!

IF Sim can get his weight down, he could definitely make the Kings roster.

My only fear is IF he does get into NBA shape is that Stan Van Gundy (who really has it in for the Kings) will try to sign him away, i.e. Quincy Miller.

Hopefully he is loyal to Vivek, since Vivek has really put him under his wing and is really trying to help him.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude

My only fear is IF he does get into NBA shape is that Stan Van Gundy (who really has it in for the Kings) will try to sign him away, i.e. Quincy Miller.

Hopefully he is loyal to Vivek, since Vivek has really put him under his wing and is really trying to help him.
More accurately, Vivek looks at him and probably sees dollar signs.

7'8"?!?! Seems odd that basically every site lists him at 7'5". Most sites list him at 7'5" 350-360 lbs.

I'm actually pretty excited about this guy. He's a very low risk / high reward type guy (sort of like Whiteside was except we didn't have to use a pick to get Bhullar). If he can continue to lose weigh to help him move quicker, increase his stamina, and run the floor, him and Cousins could be a pretty intimidating duo.

As I have mentioned in some other threads about Bhullar, I've watched him play for 2 years due to my working relationship with the WAC. He really needs to slim down to run up and down the floor. He was a risk and reward type of player for NMSU, as in he can be a liability on both ends but he can sometimes reward you with his size advantage. Hence coach Menzies only play him at certain times, and shelved him a lot towards the end of games, he didn't even play all that much in the college level because of that.

With his size and a nice little shooting touch, really for him the only thing he has to be able to do to be worthy of at least a few 12th man Aaron Gray cups of coffee is show he can run up and down the floor. That's it. Also why he really needs to have lost even more weight. He shows he can change ends he has the massive size to be an impediment inside, and the soft hands/touch to not be a complete hole on the other end.
I'm not sure why this guy gets the hate or never gonna do it from people.

It's pretty simple, he has some skill, a decent iq, and mass.

Let's see what the development league can do.

I guess the big things I took away from looking closer to Sim is that:
A. He's able to play close to 30 MPG now after looking done in 3 trips up and down the court in Summer league
B. He does look like he's lost a good 15-20 pounds
C. He's improved his production every month

The stats are whatever as I expect a 7'5 dude with some skill like Sim has to put up some big numbers in the D-league. But he does look like he's put work in on conditioning and I'm looking forward to seeing what kind of shape he's in come summer league in 5 months.

Still way to slow. I can't imagine him being able to do any those things against the NBA right now. I've said all along, he really needs to lose A LOT of weight before focusing on basketball. He just won't be able to reach any his potential carrying that much weight. We don't know if he is NBA material even if he was 50 lighter. But it's up to him to find out.

I focused heavily on sports nutrition in college. One of the big takeaways that my professor always preached was DO NOT try and lose weight during the season. Lose weight during the off season. You don't want to exert all of your energy in season b/c you want to save it for games. The playing season is really for upkeep and maintenance.

Of course none of these things are set in stone and what works for some doesn't necessarily work or apply to others, but if he's lost 15-20 lbs during the season, i'm looking for him to do the same in the offseason. Unless he loses more weight, i think his absolute highest ceiling would be Hamed Haddadi, who just never really looked like he had the mobility to make it in the NBA eto me. If Sim can slim down a bit and not slow the entire team down while he's going coast to coast, then he may be worth a look in a Kings uniform. Obviously he'll never be a stud, but you can't teach size.

Still way to slow. I can't imagine him being able to do any those things against the NBA right now. I've said all along, he really needs to lose A LOT of weight before focusing on basketball. He just won't be able to reach any his potential carrying that much weight. We don't know if he is NBA material even if he was 50 lighter. But it's up to him to find out.
I nor anyone else is suggesting he's ready for the NBA right now. Simply, this thread was to point out some improvements to Sim's game, particularly with the fact that he's able to play close to 30 MPG now and looks like he's dropped some weight. And considering the last time we saw him with summer league and he couldn't make it up the floor 4 times without looking winded, that's significant progress.

Give him another 5 months to continue working on his body and depending on how he looks in SL, I think he has a chance to make the team next season.

And yes D-League stats don't mean squat most of the time, but:

13.8 PPG, 8.5 RPG, 4 BPG, 75% FG, 28.8 MPG

Can't just disregard that imo

I'm not sure where all of this "he needs to lose 50 lbs to have a chance to play in the NBA" argument is coming form. Do people forget that Shaq came into the league at 7'1" 303 lbs? Does anybody think Shaq remained 303 lbs throughout his career? Anyone? He had to be sitting somewhere between 320-340 lbs while with the Lakers.

Rookie Year:

Lakers:

Now does Sim have to lose weight? Absolutely. Is Sim as athletic as Shaquille was? Absolutely not. But do we really think Sim's only chance to play in the NBA (even as just a rotational big) is if he loses 50lbs? I'm not so sure...

I focused heavily on sports nutrition in college. One of the big takeaways that my professor always preached was DO NOT try and lose weight during the season. Lose weight during the off season. You don't want to exert all of your energy in season b/c you want to save it for games. The playing season is really for upkeep and maintenance.
This is an amateur opinion, to a degree. I'm sure your professor knows about this (and has a professional opinion to match), he was preaching what he preached because he knows it's a bad idea to teach something that most people will execute wrongly.

Losing weight during the season isn't a problem if you do it right. You'll have just as much energy, probably even more (if you're carrying extra weight from the beginning) as long as you don't go into too much of a deficit. You can't just start drastically dropping your caloric intake during the season if you're competing. You can do it slowly and if you eat and sleep right, you'll be better off, even short term. He's right that generally you should be cutting weight during the off-season, that goes without saying. But it's wrong to say that you can't effectively (and without dropping performance) drop BF% during the season, if you do things right.

I'm not sure where all of this "he needs to lose 50 lbs to have a chance to play in the NBA" argument is coming form. Do people forget that Shaq came into the league at 7'1" 303 lbs? Does anybody think Shaq remained 303 lbs throughout his career? Anyone? He had to be sitting somewhere between 320-340 lbs while with the Lakers.

Rookie Year:

Lakers:

Now does Sim have to lose weight? Absolutely. Is Sim as athletic as Shaquille was? Absolutely not. But do we really think Sim's only chance to play in the NBA (even as just a rotational big) is if he loses 50lbs? I'm not so sure...
Sorry but your comparison does not compute. Shaq even at his heaviest was far, far lighter (should clarify I mean body fat % wise, NOT "lighter") than Sim will ever likely be. And Shaq is probably the most athletic freak that the NBA has ever seen. And he was skilled, he wasn't just a brute.

I'm not saying you're comparing him to Shaq, obviously you're not. But Sim absolutely needs to lose 50lbs (at least) before he has a legit chance. Shame is he has the size and skill to be a contributor. Hope he makes it but I'm not sure. How long has it been and he still hasn't slimmed to the point of being near minutes on an NBA roster? Does anybody realise how many calories you have to take in to be overweight at his size? I know his appetite is considerably bigger than a normal human, but Goddamn, you have pro chefs to help you. If you destroy your only chance at NBA'dom at this point, no sympathy. I'm rooting for Sim, but show some self control. I'd kill to be in his position.

Sorry but your comparison does not compute. Shaq even at his heaviest was far, far lighter (should clarify I mean body fat % wise, NOT "lighter") than Sim will ever likely be. And Shaq is probably the most athletic freak that the NBA has ever seen. And he was skilled, he wasn't just a brute.

I'm not saying you're comparing him to Shaq, obviously you're not. But Sim absolutely needs to lose 50lbs (at least) before he has a legit chance. Shame is he has the size and skill to be a contributor. Hope he makes it but I'm not sure. How long has it been and he still hasn't slimmed to the point of being near minutes on an NBA roster? Does anybody realise how many calories you have to take in to be overweight at his size? I know his appetite is considerably bigger than a normal human, but Goddamn, you have pro chefs to help you. If you destroy your only chance at NBA'dom at this point, no sympathy. I'm rooting for Sim, but show some self control. I'd kill to be in his position.
And that is why Shaq was able to dominate and I'm not saying Sim has the chance to be a dominate player in this league. I'm just saying if someone could dominate the game at that weight, why can't someone be at least a rotational big at that weight even if it is considered to be more fat weight than Shaq?

Again, I'm arguing this notion that he has to lose 50 lbs to be able to play in the NBA. What if he lost 50 lbs, but put on 20 lbs of muscle? Does that put him out of contention for a NBA roster spot? This whole fixation on trying to say he needs to lose X number of pounds is what I find strange. Does he need to get more in shape? Yes, but that will likely mean adding some muscle to his frame as well.

Hasn't he been showing that though as he's become a pro? Even at D-League level, did you think he'd be able to play 28 MPG and produce as he has 6 months ago?

Here he was in SL

Here he was a few days ago.

I'd say there's a noticable difference in his body. He's not there yet obviously, but he IS putting in that work. And that's what we're looking for.

And that is why Shaq was able to dominate and I'm not saying Sim has the chance to be a dominate player in this league. I'm just saying if someone could dominate the game at that weight, why can't someone be at least a rotational big at that weight even if it is considered to be more fat weight than Shaq?

Again, I'm arguing this notion that he has to lose 50 lbs to be able to play in the NBA. What if he lost 50 lbs, but put on 20 lbs of muscle? Does that put him out of contention for a NBA roster spot? This whole fixation on trying to say he needs to lose X number of pounds is what I find strange. Does he need to get more in shape? Yes, but that will likely mean adding some muscle to his frame as well.
I agree completely. I wasn't trying to make the fixation on weight, more on BF% and fitness. He just needs to his his BF% down (not necessarily his weight, although realistically that will happen if he's serious about it).

Thing is, even at his size, you're not gonna put on 20lbs of muscle in a year naturally. People will argue this (generally people who have no history of lifting or competing competitively at a high livel), but it's not possible unless you're both a) a genetic freak b) huge (combined with A), and more than likely c) taking 'roids (although I wouldn't say this is an absolute necessity, just depends on the situation).

For comparion's sake, I think Arnold put on 12lbs of muscle in his first year doing things seriously (and he's an absolute freak genetically, despite his late steroid abuse), in the militiary. Putting on muscle is no joke. I laugh when I head people hsay "he just needs to put on 15-20lbs of muscle in the off-season". Not gonna happen. 15-20lbs of weight easily, and probably a lot more without looking heavier, given their size. But pure muscle? Nah, 15lbs over a summer is not gonna happen. Nor 15lbs in a year unless you're a genetic freak and doing everything absolute perfectly.

Hasn't he been showing that though as he's become a pro? Even at D-League level, did you think he'd be able to play 28 MPG and produce as he has 6 months ago?

Here he was in SL

Here he was a few days ago.

I'd say there's a noticable difference in his body. He's not there yet obviously, but he IS putting in that work. And that's what we're looking for.

Yep, I just hoped he'd have made more progress by now. But progress is progress, everybody is different. Let's hope he continues it because there's absolute a spot in the NBA for him if he gets his body in shape. Hopefully for the Kings :)

He looks good; I wish the Kings would call him up next time a big gets injured... he is so tall and so big that, though he has to get better, he could still make an impact now. He takes up a lot of space on the floor... I just imagine him and DMC giving teams nightmares in terms of match-ups (hypothetically, of course, we still need to see what he has to offer). But he definitely has a unique 7'5" skill set...