Should we let Evans start for Mobley

Evans plays 10 times better defence then Mobley as proved easily by today, should he start over Mobley who is definitely the better O guy but when he's on the court we get killed from all over the place especially with Mobley injured.

I know it's just 1 game but Mobley lately has been very porous on D which can be explained 1 by the injury and 2 by he is probally really tired due to playing so much.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I always felt like I wouldn't have much of a problem if Evans started after the Doug trade. But over Cat? I don't know about that one.

Ive been kinda thinking this too, but Mobley is VERY important to have in rhythm by the fourth quarter, because he's so dangerous in the clutch. I would probably still start Cat but maybe give Mo a significantly more minutes than he's been getting in the first 3 quarters.

Mobley's D has been a problem. I have loved the Mobley trade but today we played alot better D then the past couple of weeks, maybe it's the weak shooting team but Evans played great D. Maybe it was the practices, or maybe it was the home court. I love Mobley but if we keep playing poor D like the past couple of weeks we cannot possible win against the better shooting team.s

Not start... But.. Cut Mobleys time a little bit and give a little more to Mo, he deserves it, we really need the Defence & Rebounding.

Also good that Evans will dunk it and will get the O-reb, even on Ben Wallace which I was impressed with. Shooting % needs to be worked on but that's about it.

sounds like we're all on the same page. I think Evans played great today & I love his defense, but I worry about how effective Mobley would be off the bench. I think we may see a more even distribution of minutes though if Evans continues to play this well.

I started to wonder the same thing during the game, it was after Mo grabbed some strong defensive rebounds and then swatted a Rip Hamilton layup attempt. I like his spot up shooting, the fact that he crashes the boards on both sides of the floor and he's bigger and stronger. I don't know how Mobley would react to a move like that. We'll never know though, because Adelman doesn't pull lineup switches like that during the season.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Not all bench players should be converted to starters. This type of thread seems to pop up every time one of the starters is injured and a bench player steps up and does a decent job.

Cuttino Mobley is our starting 2-guard. Give him a chance during this home stretch to actually get in some quality practice time before you relegate him to the bench.

;)

love_them_kings said:
sounds like we're all on the same page. I think Evans played great today & I love his defense, but I worry about how effective Mobley would be off the bench. I think we may see a more even distribution of minutes though if Evans continues to play this well.
Thing is, I've followed Mobley throughout his career. And everywhere he's gone people have said he's a perfect sixth man. But again, i always thought everyone underestimated him, which i think we're seeing to be true with him in sac. He's a high-energy big scorer. The only reason they didn't make him a sixth man in Houston is cuz Stevie Franchise shuddered at the thought. In fact, when Petrie made this trade i figured it would be for Mobley to be sixth man in the long run and Evans to take the 2-guard spot.

That said, i dont really think Evans is ready to start. He IS ready to play more minutes. I would like him to be a little more consistent, sure he was incredible tonight. But he doesn't seem to give us that effort night-in-and-night-out like a starter needs to. Eventually however, i would like to see him take the starting job, with Cat as sixth man.

Oh, VF, I love Mobley, but his D has been lacking. I just think Evans has/is looked like a better defender. Kings problem is never O, it's been the D. I have been all for the Mobley trade, I think he's been great but defensively we've been lacking something and Evans brought it today.

My Balloon theory

This can be applied in many different situations but for this one, I offer: Sometimes people get excited after something good happens. Air inflated in the balloon. Then the good deed is exaggerated. More air inflated into the balloon. Sooner of later, the balloon starts to over-inflate and well lets just say the end result isn't too pretty.

Rein-this isn't a thing that has just happened in 1 game, Mobley's defence and the Team D with Mobley in has been porous for a while. Today, maybe it was just by luck, but it looked good today. Then again Detroit along with missing alot of shots also missed a ton of FTs so maybe it wasn't the D. But still this was our first defensive win in months. Maybe a fluke, maybe not.

bigbadred00 said:
Rein-this isn't a thing that has just happened in 1 game, Mobley's defence and the Team D with Mobley in has been porous for a while. Today, maybe it was just by luck, but it looked good today. Then again Detroit along with missing alot of shots also missed a ton of FTs so maybe it wasn't the D. But still this was our first defensive win in months. Maybe a fluke, maybe not.
All right, but lets flip the coin: Do you really think Mobley would be good off the bench?

IDK. Could be our Bobby Jackson. Bobby Jackson was awesome for us starting what 3 years ago and also worked on the bench. I can't really tell you b/c I haven't really seen him in the role. All I want is the best for the team which lately seems to be hustle and defensive intensity. I want Ws, I don't care if we have to make people a little angry. I'm not mad either way but I'm sick of us giving up 110 points. I know it's not all Mobley's fault but he hasn't helped either lately b/c he doesn't rebound like Evans nor hustle like him.

i havnt gotten a chance to look thru the whole thread, but my thought is that Mobley should start because he is deffinetly better at that, and we do need him in a rythym down the stretch, but Adelman should also deffinetly be playing Mo more than he is...before today, he hasnt been in enough in the last couple games, imho

I think maurice just needs to continue to improve. he is basically a 2nd yr player and gets better every game.

mobley has been having a rough stretch since he pulled his groin before the kings game against dallas.

Until he gets healthier I would love to see mo get more time on the floor, and he is also making a point to the kings if they cannot resign mobley than they might want to look at evans to be the starter next season.

Evans has been making a strong push for a larger contract and it will be intersting to see if the kings can resign him also.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
Cat may not be good coming off the bench. He is a shooter. It could totally screw his game up. Look how long it took House to get his shot back.

Diehard Jim said:
Evans has been making a strong push for a larger contract and it will be intersting to see if the kings can resign him also.
Good point. It would suck to lose Evans.

Simply put, for this season no. There will be a lot of issues to resolve this offseason. I predict that only two of the three (Evans, BJax, and Mobley) will return next year at most. One will be the starter, the other the 6th man playing both 1 and 2. Or the Kings could go after someone else. We'll see...

Oh I must have completely missed this thread... I posed this question in another thread... I think that Evans provides more of what we need and is therefore a more useful player than Mobley.
Evans is exactly what Courtney Alexander should have been this season.

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

how about hell no..... we need him coming off of the bench.... just because you can stay in front of your man doesnt make you a grat defender.... we ll it does on this team but still no.... what were you guys saying when mobley had 4 blocks in his first game? i mean c'mon.... all new players look good on defense on this team until they become aclimated with the team then they no longer desire to play defense.... this just means that mobley has officially become a sacarmento king.... he has stopped rebounding and playing defense.