SF Trades

How do we know that? It always seem uncertain to me to know how much tax an owner is willing to eat. It would seem to dependent on a variety of factors, including their intestinal tolerance for red ink.
The Wizards are horrible this year and will end up with a high lotto pick. They aren't going to ship off a potential Zion Williamson to save money this year.

The issue with Mahinmi isn't just the contract. You could take the overpay for next year and say he serves the Kosta role.

The problem is he doesn't really serve the Kosta or WCS role. I am not sure what he does anymore. His stats are just awful and they're declining. He's not built for running with the team. I am highly skeptical of getting any production out of him.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
The Wizards are horrible this year and will end up with a high lotto pick. They aren't going to ship off a potential Zion Williamson to save money this year.
Even if the Wizards were in the bottom three teams they would only have a 14% chance of winning the lottery. Also, the pick could be a top 5 guaranteed pick, which would eliminate considerable risk for the Wizards in that regard.

Charlotte desparate to trade Nicolas Batum, according to Bleacher Report. Admittedly haven’t watched him this season, and his numbers aren’t amazing. Averaging about 9p/5r on 40% 3PT. Not sure how his defence is these days. Not necessarily saying we should trade for him, but maybe think about it if it gets closer to February and we are still in the Playoff race.

Edit: I should add the reason i’m interested in Batum is because his contract is so bad, and the Hornets desparate for cap space to re-sign Kemba in the offseason, we may be able to do a Batum+1st round pick for expiring (Koufos, ZBo, etc.).

Theoretically this scenario would be a win-win, with us gaining a mid first round pick and a decent SF for cheap, without touching valuable assets. Batum is also an expiring next year.

Edit 2: I just realized Batum has this year PLUS two more years. Nevermind, not worth it at all imo.

Last edited:
Charlotte desparate to trade Nicolas Batum, according to Bleacher Report. Admittedly haven’t watched him this season, and his numbers aren’t amazing. Averaging about 9p/5r on 40% 3PT. Not sure how his defence is these days. Not necessarily saying we should trade for him, but maybe think about it if it gets closer to February and we are still in the Playoff race.

Edit: I should add the reason i’m interested in Batum is because his contract is so bad, and the Hornets desparate for cap space to re-sign Kemba in the offseason, we may be able to do a Batum+1st round pick for expiring (Koufos, ZBo, etc.).

Theoretically this scenario would be a win-win, with us gaining a mid first round pick and a decent SF for cheap, without touching valuable assets. Batum is also an expiring next year.

Edit 2: I just realized Batum has this year PLUS two more years. Nevermind, not worth it at all imo.
I wouldn’t be worried about his salary at all we’re not signing free agents if his defense is decent I’m trading for him. Good playmaker and shooter all depends how far his defense has fallen. We could probably get back a 1st from them.

KK/Ben

For

Batum and a pick

Also it’s not like he’s a scrubhed be an upgrade from Iman in the lineup while making our bench a lot better. KK would free minuets for Giles when Bagley comes back giving Giles (12-16mpg). We’d have a bench unite of Yogu/Bogie/Iman/Giles which is pretty good

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

since Batum left Portland and got paid, he's been a bum. A big pass for me. He plays with no energy or heart, he goes through the motions. If you want the Willie of small forwards, he's your guy.

Still not sure why we didn’t use our 2nd round pick in a deep draft. Kurucs could have been ours.
roster flexibility i'm assuming. we would have to drop someone, like Ben, who is a nice 5mil expiring if I'm not mistaking in case some deal comes about. that and the fact that we already have enough young guys who need to develop.

I wouldn’t be worried about his salary at all we’re not signing free agents if his defense is decent I’m trading for him. Good playmaker and shooter all depends how far his defense has fallen. We could probably get back a 1st from them.

KK/Ben

For

Batum and a pick

Also it’s not like he’s a scrubhed be an upgrade from Iman in the lineup while making our bench a lot better. KK would free minuets for Giles when Bagley comes back giving Giles (12-16mpg). We’d have a bench unite of Yogu/Bogie/Iman/Giles which is pretty good

I would do that as well.. Or maybe Frank Kaminsky instead of the pick... He can shoot with the best of them and he's a F/C so he could realistically play the few minutes at C that KK was taking up. So Batum and Kaminsky for KK and Ben?

So by Feb 7, I would prefer Otto Porter for WCS,cap space, enders, 2nd rd picks

But Batum and a Quality 1st rd pick would be second choice

after that , Throw Middleton a max contract this summer. or as a desparate move Bojan ? (no Barnes please)

I really dont see any FA SF's that may be worth big $

Batum is a decent player, a terrible contract though so Hornets would need to add a first round pick.

Perhaps using all the expirings and cap space to go get some of these terrible deals, though not necessarily completely useless players, would be the best idea.

I could realistically see turning WCS, a few seconds and all expirings bar Shumpert into two or three picks plus a bunch of bad deals. I would use WCS in a Porter trade but one that sees Porter go elsewhere, e.g. WCS and Randolph to Washington, Porter to New Orleans, Hill, and Pelicans first (top 5 protected) to Kings. Then you still have contracts to go for Batum or someone like Dieng while getting another pick.

Then all those teams still stink and you get two mid first in a draft with lots of wings, plus some experienced players on bad contracts who can still play a bit.

It may come down to Batum and we get Charlotte’s mid first round pick for our expirings versus trading WCS and our expirings for Otto Porter.

If that is the case, I think we may be better off taking Batum and the first round pick vs losing WCS for Porter. I don’t think it is worth losing WCS to get an overpaid, but good fit Porter.

Batum would be a full sized stop gap SF and with Vlade’s eye for talent, he should be able to get a good small forward prospect in this year’s draft with Charlotte’s pick.

It may come down to Batum and we get Charlotte’s mid first round pick for our expirings versus trading WCS and our expirings for Otto Porter.

If that is the case, I think we may be better off taking Batum and the first round pick vs losing WCS for Porter. I don’t think it is worth losing WCS to get an overpaid, but good fit Porter.

Batum would be a full sized stop gap SF and with Vlade’s eye for talent, he should be able to get a good small forward prospect in this year’s draft with Charlotte’s pick.
While I agree that would make a good alternative, the Hornets have former Laker GM Mitch Kupchak at the helm now. I believe this would be his second draft, so he may be hesitant to give up a decent pick so soon into his tenure. Might be worth a shot though.

Too bad Houston doesn’t have anything worth trading for and is in need of a wing like us cause Willie could be extremely appealing to them right now with Capela going down

Too bad Houston doesn’t have anything worth trading for and is in need of a wing like us cause Willie could be extremely appealing to them right now with Capela going down
Capela will be back in 4-6 weeks, so I can't see Houston give up too much for a back up center, certainly not enough to pry WCS from us.

Maybe a KK for James Ennis swap?

I would see what the Suns would be willing to take in return for TJ Warren who would be a excellent fit in our offense, packing Bogi (they have a Serbian coach)/Jackson/Skal (I'd replace Skal with WCS if they give us Holmes as well),for Warren who makes insane little money (12mil per) for a guy who can put up 20ppg on 50%FG and 40%3pt and greatly improved defense is a insane deal for a position we are desperate to fill.

If we were to get Warren you could next season try sign Dorian Finey Smith as his back up at like 6-8million per year and they together would cost like 7-9 million less than Batum/Porter.

Since Charlotte is so desperate to trade Batum, so they can re-sign Kemba, I wonder if they would be willing to include SF Miles Bridges (2018 12th pick) as the sweetener, instead of their 2019 first round pick. They still have MKG as a small forward and I don't really want a free agent-to-be Kaminski as the sweetener.

Kings send enders (ZBo, BMac and KK) to Charlotte for Batum and Miles Bridges.

We would have solidified the Small Forward spot with Batum (now) and Bridges and JJ (one will be the eventual starter) for the foreseeable future and we wouldn't have to give up anything of value.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Since Charlotte is so desperate to trade Batum, so they can re-sign Kemba, I wonder if they would be willing to include SF Miles Bridges (2018 12th pick) as the sweetener, instead of their 2019 first round pick. They still have MKG as a small forward and I don't really want a free agent-to-be Kaminski as the sweetener.

Kings send enders (ZBo, BMac and KK) to Charlotte for Batum and Miles Bridges.

We would have solidified the Small Forward spot with Batum (now) and Bridges and JJ (one will be the eventual starter) for the foreseeable future and we wouldn't have to give up anything of value.
I hate trade scenarios.

Having said that, imagine my surprise when I find myself actually not hating this one. :)

Kingster

Hall of Famer
How much better is Batum than JJ? If he isn't clearly a better player I don't see the sense in it. To me, you've got to trade for a player who is no question about it better than JJ if in fact you want to make a deal at the SF. Otherwise, you're just creating a needless logjam, taking away minutes from an improving JJ, and potentially causing internal bickering in the process.

I think SF will be tabled until summer. There’s a plethora of free agent targets, and guys like Heyward/Jaylen Brown/Aaron Gordon will be available via trade. There’s more than one way to use the cap space this summer. Philly might decide to move Simmons and need a third team for contracts...who knows? It figures to be another wild summer though.

I know I shouldn’t want to but I really wanna see Kelly Oubre on this team. In a dream scenario he fits really well, super athletic, quick and good from 3. Has the tools to become at least a decent defender. Realistically though, he’s pretty inconsistent, with high highs and low lows, so to speak. Seems like a nice guy in interviews but can never be too sure how he’d affect team chemistry.

Am I the only one feeling like this?

How much better is Batum than JJ? If he isn't clearly a better player I don't see the sense in it. To me, you've got to trade for a player who is no question about it better than JJ if in fact you want to make a deal at the SF. Otherwise, you're just creating a needless logjam, taking away minutes from an improving JJ, and potentially causing internal bickering in the process.
He's twice the player JJ is at the moment. Solid defender, better assist man than Bogie as well. Cons are his contract is huge and goes through 2021 and he's not a real efficient scorer. Hornets would have to sweeten the deal IMO. He's still a valuable player but he's making like 25mil but is only worth 10mil or so at this point.