Search over?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Geeze, some of you people are just plain stupid. VF21 was the messenger. No more, no less. I doubt that you will ever receive any inside information again. Give it a rest. We shall probably remain in the dark in the future because some of you are such fools.

VF21 said:
I was wrong. I will gladly say so with nothing but relief. I am very glad that John Whisenant is going to remain with the reigning champion Sacramento Monarchs. I think Eric Musselman has a great opportunity - for him, for us and for the Kings.

I'm a Kings fan. I'm a moderator on the BEST Kings message board on the Internet. I do not feel I have to apologize for sharing information I had been given. In the future, if I'm again given something before it hits the news, I will probably still share it here.

If some of you choose not to believe me, that's entirely your decision. And I applaud for it. You should always question; you should always look deeper than the surface. I will tell you this - I would gain nothing whatsoever by posting something I've made up. In fact, I don't gain anything by posting information that turns out to be correct. The only benefit - if it can be called that - is to the members of this forum who sometimes get a little heads-up on what's happening behind the scenes of our beloved Kings.

So if some of you think I have egg on my face or that I should be consuming massive qualities of crow, no problem.

At least we have a coach that I firmly believe is a much better option than John Whisenant.

Now and forever...go Kings!!!

Thank you for leaking the information VF. If the info hadn't been leaked out to the paper and the internet then we wouldn't have been able to show that we did not like the idea of Whisenant as the Kings coach and it might have gone through. You are almost never wrong so if you get any more info please post it here.

And I'm still very happy that we got Musselman instead of Whisenant.

I too appreciate your sharing of of information from your source, VF. Some people here don't seem to understand that it was the source who turned out to be wrong, not you. You were only the messenger. And we'll never know whether source was right at that point in time or not.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
VF21 said:
I was wrong. I will gladly say so with nothing but relief. I am very glad that John Whisenant is going to remain with the reigning champion Sacramento Monarchs. I think Eric Musselman has a great opportunity - for him, for us and for the Kings.

I'm a Kings fan. I'm a moderator on the BEST Kings message board on the Internet. I do not feel I have to apologize for sharing information I had been given. In the future, if I'm again given something before it hits the news, I will probably still share it here.

If some of you choose not to believe me, that's entirely your decision. And I applaud for it. You should always question; you should always look deeper than the surface. I will tell you this - I would gain nothing whatsoever by posting something I've made up. In fact, I don't gain anything by posting information that turns out to be correct. The only benefit - if it can be called that - is to the members of this forum who sometimes get a little heads-up on what's happening behind the scenes of our beloved Kings.

So if some of you think I have egg on my face or that I should be consuming massive qualities of crow, no problem.

At least we have a coach that I firmly believe is a much better option than John Whisenant.

No worries here, glad things worked out the way they did and glad you passed on the info when you got it. Like some other posters I suspect the reaction to the leak helped inspire a reevaluation.
:cool:

VF21 said:
I was wrong....
I don't think so. You posted the leak/rumour that you got. If tin-foil-hat crowd like myself is right that that leak was a test-baloon, then you did a great job with an assist from the community in getting our voice heard. If the leak was just a random speculation, we still had some great fun on the board anyway.

VF21 said:

VF your expert work as a Kingsfans moderator is greatly appreciated!!

Regarding the coach choice - we may never know the details - but I think the picture is fairly clear. I was one of the first to predict the strong possibility of JW getting the job. But I wasn't saying it because I wanted it, but because it seemed to fit what the Maloofs were saying "We are looking for success at any level" so that seemed to point to someone new, and seemed to be a set-up for JW.

Well I think JW was their "model" guy - and a frontrunner. But then they actually DID NOT just run a dog and pony show - but actually DID an interview process. And I think what happened is that EM did a kick butt job in the interview (100 page report in the second interview - who knows what in the first!?!?). And then they started second guessing JW. And some of the comparisons that Brick has done to show JW's weaknesses shined through in the interview when compared to EM (I don't think they read Brick's posts - but of course they should have!!) SO I think they started listening to EM and saying Hmmm... Your dad was coach? You have a GREAT minor league record? You've been an NBA assistant? You think Brad's strengths and weaknesses are what? And he simply impressed them to the point that they thought he was stronger than JW. Surprise, surprise they actually LISTENED in the interview!!

But then as far as the JW - I think that was the inside word. Let's remember some other "inside words". Remember back in the season when Bonzi was injured, and then some "inside guy" came on and said Bonzi would play that night - and then a reporter said he would - and then he didn't. And the "inside guy" explained that Bonzi WANTED to play - but coach or doctors wouldn't let him. Well I don't look at the inside info as wrong - so much as a part of the picture. So a part of the picture was JW was a frontrunner - even Ron Artest had heard that!! BUT it wasn't the final word - and we are thankful.

So we can be thankful for the snapshots we get - and hope to keep getting them - but always hold them loosely!!

I have been following this, just wanted to give my opinion.

The source was wrong. They jumped the gun, and put out premature information. I don't think that in then taking that information, and immediately sharing that info, trying to break the story first, and not being 100% sure excercises much journalistic credibility. That's why most media outlets where only reporting Whis as a "frontrunner" to the job, and not a done deal.

VF was wrong, but I only feel she was wrong for proclaiming it as a done deal...it was a high risk/high reward situation for her if she had been dead on, only solidifying her scooping the story prowess with her 'credible' source. But she decided to "officially" announce it.

IMO, the source also takes a credibility hit in this as well.

Either way, I am just glad it worked out the way it did, and so begins the Musselman era. Go Kings.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Backlash said:
I have been following this, just wanted to give my opinion.

The source was wrong. They jumped the gun, and put out premature information. I don't think that in then taking that information, and immediately sharing that info, trying to break the story first, and not being 100% sure excercises much journalistic credibility. That's why most media outlets where only reporting Whis as a "frontrunner" to the job, and not a done deal.

VF was wrong, but I only feel she was wrong for proclaiming it as a done deal...it was a high risk/high reward situation for her if she had been dead on, only solidifying her scooping the story prowess with her 'credible' source. But she decided to "officially" announce it.

IMO, the source also takes a credibility hit in this as well.

Either way, I am just glad it worked out the way it did, and so begins the Musselman era. Go Kings.
For the record, I didn't "officially" announce anything. I made it clear right from the beginning that I had been told the search was pretty much over. I also made it abundantly clear that although I was told it was, in essence, a "done deal" that something could always happen. And, over the course of days between May 25 and yesterday, when the Musselman announcement was made, a lot of things happened. That's the way it is with life. It's what happens while you're busy making other plans.

I'm done making excuses or trying to explain things. The horse is dead; I think you can quit beating it now. If you choose not to believe whatever I MIGHT choose to share with the board in the future, that's your decision to make.

Last edited:
Maloof's are smart businessmen

If I could have written the best case scenairio after Rick Adelman's contract wasn't renewed. I would have told the Maloof's the best possible spin we could use.
#1) Leak a candiate for coach to the public that would be so bad and get the die hard Kings fans talking so they would then forget about how mad they were about Adleman not being brought back
#2) Make everyone believe that the worst case scenairio was almost a foregone conclusion and let fans go from angry about Adleman and the new coach to reserved that the announcement was coming.
#3) Then leak that one person seemed so much better than everyone else that they had to take a second look and interview that person a second time
#4) Make the pre-announcement that the guy they chose works harder and is more dedicated to the Kings than anyone they ever hoped they could find
#5) Introduce a young, smart, charismatic coach with years of expierience.

It almost seems like the perfect scenairio to win the fans back and get fans believing in our team and who knows generate enough interest to get a new sales tax passed by the fans

Are the Maloof's that lucky? or are they that smart?
I am going to vote for that smart

Welcome Coach Muss
Go Kings

VF21 said:
I'm done making excuses or trying to explain things. The horse is dead; I think you can quit beating it now. If you choose not to believe whatever I MIGHT choose to share with the board in the future, that's your decision to make.
I apologize, I didn't have an oppurtunity to share my opinion any earlier, as I just signed up this morning, or I probably would have.

It's what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Backlash said:
I apologize, I didn't have an oppurtunity to share my opinion any earlier, as I just signed up this morning, or I probably would have.

It's what happens while you're busy making other plans.
"life is what happens while you're busy making other plans."

~john lennon

;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Look at my post, Padrino...

That's the way it is with life. It's what happens while you're busy making other plans.
;)

Been a Beatle fan right from the first time I heard "She Loves You" on the radio, WAY back in the day. I still have a copy of "In His Own Write" around here somewhere...

VF21 said:
Look at my post, Padrino...

;)

Been a Beatle fan right from the first time I heard "She Loves You" on the radio, WAY back in the day. I still have a copy of "In His Own Write" around here somewhere...
nice! i didn't catch that. you're post was on the previous page, and i'm a lazy *** who doesn't feel like goin' back too far when he's absent for more than a day...

;)

Seriously, thank you VF for providing the info... I think the Kings, Monarchs, and their fans owe you big time for this.

I can't imagine the Maloofs ever expected a 90% negative response to their first choice, and it likely caused them to pause just long enough to take a little closer look at the other prospects.
~~

Alacron said:
Seriously, thank you VF for providing the info... I think the Kings, Monarchs, and their fans owe you big time for this.

I can't imagine the Maloofs ever expected a 90% negative response to their first choice, and it likely caused them to pause just long enough to take a little closer look at the other prospects.
~~
If they really listened to this board, then why didn't they go with Elie? :(

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
1. If they listened to anything, it was the overwhelming negative response to the idea of John Whisenant they saw here and on a number of other sports message boards, they heard via Grant's show and they read in the letters to the Bee.

2. At this point, I'm simply going to close this thread because the search is indeed over. We have a new coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.