Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
A partial list of films not recommended for viewing by Sam Amick:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Goodfellas
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Aw, heck. Anything by Martin Scorsese or Quentin Tarantino. Those dudes need to get their mouths washed out with soap.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A partial list of films not recommended for viewing by Sam Amick:

1. Pulp Fiction
2. Goodfellas
3. The Big Lebowski
4. Reservoir Dogs
5. Aw, heck. Anything by Martin Scorsese or Quentin Tarantino. Those dudes need to get their mouths washed out with soap.
Ah, but the response will be about "the kids" and families not wanting to hear that kind of language. And the irony in that comment will be that players are CONSTANTLY saying things that are inappropriate for family listening. That's something you don't notice unless: a) there's nobody in the arena; b) you're in the lower level and close to the action; or c) you can read lips.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Interesting splashback taking place on Twitter. Should Cousins be fined for the outburst? Depends. Was Lebron fined for his outburst against the Magic fan? Personally, I have no problem with Cousins having to pay a fine but I don't think he deserves to be crucified, and I think that's exactly what Amick has done. Real easy to hide behind the "public has a right to know"...sounds similiar to the blatherings from STOP.

I've defended DMC a ton. Still do. I was a complete moron when I was 23, and I didn't have millions. I'm all in on him.

But Sam has a history of being fair. He's a good reporter and he does his research. During the Kings saga, didn't most of us sing his praises?

I don't think it's fair to say that his research consisted of tweets. I can guarantee his research went much further and deeper. That's a big reason in the delay of the story between Miami and now.

Everyone's opinion matters, and I respect you all. Trust me, it's tough to read, as a Kings fan I wish DMC was an angel. But I'm not going to slam the man's credibility when his track record doesn't warrant it.

Just my .02

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
I've defended DMC a ton. Still do. I was a complete moron when I was 23, and I didn't have millions. I'm all in on him.

But Sam has a history of being fair. He's a good reporter and he does his research. During the Kings saga, didn't most of us sing his praises?

I don't think it's fair to say that his research consisted of tweets. I can guarantee his research went much further and deeper. That's a big reason in the delay of the story between Miami and now.
What did his research consist of? All I see is a bunch of opinion and assumptions based off a few tweets.

That's not journalism. If he did all this research, where is it? He didn't provide a single drop of evidence that he has had done any research beyond reading a few tweets.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Interesting splashback taking place on Twitter. Should Cousins be fined for the outburst? Depends. Was Lebron fined for his outburst against the Magic fan? Personally, I have no problem with Cousins having to pay a fine but I don't think he deserves to be crucified, and I think that's exactly what Amick has done. Real easy to hide behind the "public has a right to know"...sounds similiar to the blatherings from STOP.
A fine I don't see happening. Too far after the fact although who knows, the league does treat Boogie differently.

This could definitely effect his hopes of getting an All Star nod though.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Everyone's opinion matters, and I respect you all. Trust me, it's tough to read, as a Kings fan I wish DMC was an angel. But I'm not going to slam the man's credibility when his track record doesn't warrant it.

Just my .02
Sam also has a history of taking small things and making them big things. He spent an entire day with Kevin Martin and yet, when his story came out, the biggest focus was on the fact that Martin was immature and reckless because he didn't wear his seatbelt.

My point is that I think there's actually a bigger story in the making. DMC isn't perfect. He's a work in progress and he is definitely progressing in the right direction. I think Amick's take was blind to that part and focused too much on the negative.

Just my two cents... okay, just my $1.47.

what a s*** article, based primarily in conjecture, delivered not at the time of the purported (and overblown) "incident," but rather in advance of the coaches' all-star selection process. how wonderfully convenient...

"And last but certainly not least, to make this mistake and then act so indignant when someone dares to ask about it later takes this to a whole new, and unacceptable, level."

That's the key sentence for me. Hypothesis: Sam read about the alleged incident at the Heat game through Carmichael Dave's twitter feed. He asked DMC about it during the Cleveland game and was so personally offended by Boogie's response, decided to write an entire article about it which amounts to "Don't be a jerk to me, Mr. Big Shot."

It certainly screams of vindictiveness, especially considering an obscene gesture at a fan is hardly among Boogie's more eye-brow raising incidents. This got personal and it's sad to see.

Just thought I'd stop in and share my opinion, which certainly is as valid/ invalid as anyone else's.

I suggest we meet back here in 24 hours, I have a feeling tomorrow will be interesting.

Now Bruski's in on the action. Oh joy.

I don't get it. What exactly does the media think is being exposed here? That DeMarcus still has moments when he behaves without thinking? Is this news?

They're all circling the wagons - Amick, Bruski, CD. some kind of brotherhood I guess. Maybe they all take a pledge to help make NBA court side a profanity-free zone. But I don't see why in the world Amick goes here in the first place, nor why the others take pains to stick up for him.

Look maybe DMC did act badly at the Miami game. Looked to me like he did (I was in 114). But to ask him about it weeks later after a blowout win over the Cavs?? What would any of these press guys do if they got called out for something like that, almost three weeks later???? WTF? WTMF??? Sam Amick needs something important to do I guess. Just icky...

Just thought I'd stop in and share my opinion, which certainly is as valid/ invalid as anyone else's.

I suggest we meet back here in 24 hours, I have a feeling tomorrow will be interesting.
OMGGG!! Is Becky finally gonna tell Brianna that she saw Ben making out with Britney under the bleachers at Homecoming?!? She is TOTES gonna flip!! lulz!! You HAVE to snapchat me her reaction. I cannot WAIT to tweet it on my Facebook. #DRAAMAAA #forREALzies #hashtag #besties kthnxbai! Luv u hunty!

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I think the fundamental difference here is that during the Seattle saga Amick wasn't writing 1700-word pieces on how Chris Hansen was a potty-mouth. It's kind of disappointing because it just seems like it's below Amick to write such a piece in the first place. And given that it's a "dog-bites-man" kind of story, I can understand why some have come off wondering why he would write it unless he has something against the dog.

I think the fundamental difference here is that during the Seattle saga Amick wasn't writing 1700-word pieces on how Chris Hansen was a potty-mouth. It's kind of disappointing because it just seems like it's below Amick to write such a piece in the first place. And given that it's a "dog-bites-man" kind of story, I can understand why some have come off wondering why he would write it unless he has something against the dog.
Ya, I don't understand the piece. The effort seems to outweigh the actions behind it unless there is something else we are all not privy to.

His story said two witnesses told him then said one was on twitter. Then said dozens heard. Before that he said it was a scene all to familiar to fans at sleep train but yet has nothing but this hearsay incident to speak of.

It's funny, because for a "familiar scene" I seemed to have missed them all and I have attended every game except for one. The dude is on crack.

This is just weird. I, too, expected more from Amick. It's a terrible article based on very little. I don't even doubt that it's true, but worthy of an article? Really? Some people are just too sensitive.

Bruski is predictable; anything that makes IT look good in comparison, he'll be on board with. No basketball IQ, arrogant without reason, condescending, emotional. But we already knew that about Bruski. This is just strange from Sam. Usually an excellent writer, but it really does sound like he took exception to DeMarcus dismissing a tabloid type question. Just low stuff.

How does this even warrant an article? Seems to me that Sam is just trying to go against the grain. Cuz is destroying everyone, deserves to be an all-star, and public perception has slowly been changing (rightly so) for the better. Seems like he just wants to be different. I mean seriously, NBA player shouts at a fan? Hold the f***ing phone! Why isn't this breaking news internationally? Shock horror.

Bruski is playing dumb (on second thoughts, maybe it's not an act) on why people are confused over this, but it's quite obvious to anyone with an IQ in double digits. Disjointed, poorly written article that doesn't really make a point, inappropriate timing, questionable motive. It's just weird.

I don't really know CD's stance on this despite his posts in this thread. Yes, Amick is a highly respected writer, but nobody is infallible. And to be honest, this article was a piece of junk, and I really did believe that he held himself to higher standards. We all know DeMarcus is emotional, nobody is saying he's perfect. But this is a non-story. Players aren't robots - if you don't want to hear profanity, don't sit courtside. You're completely deluded if you think this doesn't happen regularly at NBA games.

Seriously, I've said (and say) far worse ish than this in my local league. I'm far from the only one. Blah blah blah, I'm not being paid etc.. Who really gives a ****? It's a sport. It's emotional. It's going to happen whether you like it or not. Picking and choosing who to attack over it is ingenious and petty. Someone has an agenda here. People need to get a grip and stop being such sensitive little Nancys. The world is going mad.

I hope this doesn't prevent Cuz getting a deserved AS nod. Sam should feel ashamed after this sensationalist nonsense. He's better than that, and he may just have had a significant negative effect on a young man who is genuinely trying his best, over a complete non-story.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
After reading, I had to scroll back and check to make sure Sam had actually written this piece of junk. So beneath him based on all his excellent previous articles and not at all what I expect from him.

Did it happen? Yes, I was there and actually noticed it from the upper level. Is it newsworthy? No. Does it rise to the level of an article like this? Hell, no. Happens all the time and I'd bet 99% of the time it goes unnoticed and 0.9% of the remaining times it gets a brief mention somewhere that the player gets a fine.

He was not even fined for this. So where is the story? Why does this rise to the level of that last 0.1%???

Just very strange, and does paint Sam as someone with a petty agenda, which is so unlike what I am used to seeing it boggles the mind.

What a bunch of bullcrap! That's not reporting, that's a smear piece. In this day and age, when there are cameras everywhere, could we get some evidence beyond a couple tweets maybe?

I don't doubt something happened. I don't see any significance. I just don't.

And the timing of this is very strange. This is from an incident Dec. 27th?

What's next? Rudy said the f word while on the court? Cause he has. I've heard it. This is just nonsense.

T

Toasty

Amuck wrote this to lobby DMC off the all-star team. It hd a very weird article.

BUT Cousins should realize that the target on his back was partly his doing. He needs to continue to grow and get this behind him. It helps us get good players here and there is also a shelf life on the oh he is growing meme.

Last edited by a moderator: