Scathing Article from Amick on Cousins

K

KingMilz

I find it hilarious that fan's get all upset when a player says something to them and act all shocked/hurt after. While players have to hear abuse from fans close to 82 games a year depending on the player.

Can't beleive someone took the time to write about two irrelevent things that occured instead of maybe trying to make sense of why we lost the game or something like that. If Cousins is playing smart/effective basketball he can say anything he wants to fans I couldn't care less. If your not happy about a player giving you abuse than don't go to basketball games expecting you can say anything to them.

Amick seems to have some personal issue with Cuz. Not only is he one of the few not endorsing him for the all-star game, now we get this ridiculous drivel. All he does is focus on all the negatives and rarely, if ever, point out the positives.

Is Cuz a finished product? I think we're all aware that he isn't. However, anybody that has been watching and paying attention would know that DFC has taken a giant step forward in all aspects this season.

It's relevant because "two things" fly in the face of the progress we've all seen from Cousins.

And it's not just "someone;" it troubles me more that Amick wrote the piece. He still has knowledge about and connections with the franchise from his time here, but because he's a national writer now he's able to look at things from a bigger perspective. If it was someone else I'd be willing to shrug it off, but not Amick.

Amick seems to have some personal issue with Cuz. Not only is he one of the few not endorsing him for the all-star game, now we get this ridiculous drivel. All he does is focus on all the negatives and rarely, if ever, point out the positives.

Is Cuz a finished product? I think we're all aware that he isn't. However, anybody that has been watching and paying attention would know that DFC has taken a giant step forward in all aspects this season.
I wasn't aware of any issues between Amick and Cousins. In my opinion, dismissing the article based on the author is the easy way out.

I think the point is that he has seemed to have taken the giant step forward in all aspects this season, which make these supposed incidents all the more puzzling.

Edit to add: upon re-reading, it does strike me at how little of the piece seems to be "reported," and how much reads as Amick's personal musings. Also aggravating how it's pointed out that Griffin also leads the leads in techs without further comment... for whatever reason (because he's the golden Kia salesman) he doesn't have anything near the rep that DMC does.

Last edited:

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
I wasn't aware of any issues between Amick and Cousins. In my opinion, dismissing the article based on the author is the easy way out.

I think the point is that he has seemed to have taken the giant step forward in all aspects this season, which make these supposed incidents all the more puzzling.
I actually rather liked the comment to the Memphis fan. :p

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

Edit to add: upon re-reading, it does strike me at how little of the piece seems to be "reported," and how much reads as Amick's personal musings. Also aggravating how it's pointed out that Griffin also leads the leads in techs without further comment... for whatever reason (because he's the golden Kia salesman) he doesn't have anything near the rep that DMC does.
Not the first time Amick has done something like this to a Kings player on the rise. He also did an "expose" piece of Kevin Martin - with the focus being that Martin drove his new Cadillac without wearing a seatbelt.

Not sure what gets into Amick's head sometimes, unless perhaps it's a desire to work for TMZ.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Well, it's tough to read the opening and come to the conclusion that Sam doesn't have an agenda, for whatever the reason.

If DeMarcus Cousins' history repeats itself yet again, it's highly likely that he'll never read this.

The talented Sacramento Kings center has a habit of tuning people out when the harsh truth is being told, meaning he'll probably see the headline on Twitter and hurl his cell phone as if it's a full-court heave. The next move - per his personal pattern – will be to send word through various channels that there's another media member to put on his ever-growing black list.

Then we get to this part:

At some point midway through the second half, Cousins heard something from a fan whose seat was behind the Kings bench in the lower concourse that he clearly didn't appreciate. It's unclear exactly what was said by the fan, although one account at the time on Twitter indicated that the fan yelled at him to pass the ball. According to eyewitness accounts of two people on hand that night, the 23-year-old franchise centerpiece who was given a four-year, $62 million deal in late September reacted by allegedly grabbing his crotch and shouting a gratuitous expletive that was, to put it mildly, an inappropriate sexual suggestion.

The dozens of patrons who heard it had a raw and unforgettable reaction – in synchronized shock, they swayed back in their seats as if a strong gust of wind had torn through the building. It was, in hindsight, a manifestation of the unwelcome surprise that was palpable from half a football-field away.

Wasn't this proven wrong by a popular Kings fan who was sitting right there? Think she's a member here. Thought the conclusion basically was he got his manhood twisted up in the tights players now wear, something pinched, and he let out a string of words not meant for children.

I have a lot of respect for Sam but he has shown he's capable of holding grudges and did do exactly that after his boy KMart was moved to make room for Reke. This really does come across as a hit piece. It's opinion, it's hyperbole, it's assumptions and it's based on 2nd hand testimony, where the second example has already been argued against by people on location.

Then he uses the 10 techs as evidence his temper isn't under control, yet fails to mention over half of them were in dealing with opposing players, not yelling/arguing at refs. Hell, one of them was responding to a player not even in the game bumping him and him reacting. Boogie obviously still has to mature but anyone who's followed closely can tell he's made huge strides and for Sam to suggest it's just the same old, same old around here does imply an agenda and with him it's not an issue of not being close enough to the team.

Sorry Sam, but **** off.

HndsmCelt

Hall of Famer
To be fair, if you have to use the phrases "to be fair, in all fairness, or I have been exceedingly fair more than once in your work you are probably signalling the audience that you are being anything BUT fair.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Well, it's tough to read the opening and come to the conclusion that Sam doesn't have an agenda, for whatever the reason.

If DeMarcus Cousins' history repeats itself yet again, it's highly likely that he'll never read this.

The talented Sacramento Kings center has a habit of tuning people out when the harsh truth is being told, meaning he'll probably see the headline on Twitter and hurl his cell phone as if it's a full-court heave. The next move - per his personal pattern – will be to send word through various channels that there's another media member to put on his ever-growing black list.

Then we get to this part:

At some point midway through the second half, Cousins heard something from a fan whose seat was behind the Kings bench in the lower concourse that he clearly didn't appreciate. It's unclear exactly what was said by the fan, although one account at the time on Twitter indicated that the fan yelled at him to pass the ball. According to eyewitness accounts of two people on hand that night, the 23-year-old franchise centerpiece who was given a four-year, $62 million deal in late September reacted by allegedly grabbing his crotch and shouting a gratuitous expletive that was, to put it mildly, an inappropriate sexual suggestion.

The dozens of patrons who heard it had a raw and unforgettable reaction – in synchronized shock, they swayed back in their seats as if a strong gust of wind had torn through the building. It was, in hindsight, a manifestation of the unwelcome surprise that was palpable from half a football-field away.

Wasn't this proven wrong by a popular Kings fan who was sitting right there? Think she's a member here. Thought the conclusion basically was he got his manhood twisted up in the tights players now wear, something pinched, and he let out a string of words not meant for children.

I have a lot of respect for Sam but he has shown he's capable of holding grudges and did do exactly that after his boy KMart was moved to make room for Reke. This really does come across as a hit piece. It's opinion, it's hyperbole, it's assumptions and it's based on 2nd hand testimony, where the second example has already been argued against by people on location.

Then he uses the 10 techs as evidence his temper isn't under control, yet fails to mention over half of them were in dealing with opposing players, not yelling/arguing at refs. Hell, one of them was responding to a player not even in the game bumping him and him reacting. Boogie obviously still has to mature but anyone who's followed closely can tell he's made huge strides and for Sam to suggest it's just the same old, same old around here does imply an agenda and with him it's not an issue of not being close enough to the team.

Sorry Sam, but **** off.
Um... as the person who posted the "explanation" I think you missed the point of it. It was an alternative explanation for what may or may not have occurred that night.

Sam Amick threw Kevin Martin under the bus when he had an opportunity to do a feature piece on him and, to the surprise and consternation of Martin and his family, ended up doing a hatchet piece about how Martin didn't wear his seatbelt and was, therefore, immature and reckless.

Now Sam Amick, with a bigger stage, is choosing to do a hatchet job on DMC based on something Demarcus said to a fan in Memphis. Sounds like somebody needs a hug.

Entity

Hall of Famer
I am friends with Sam on Facebook. I just posted this reply to his article.

Amazing journalism Sam. I've seen NBA players for years do same thing. Yet Demarcus gets his own article. All based on hearsay and tweets. A guy in a band tweeted it so it must be true. Did you do story on how immature Lebron was when he did same thing? This story seems more agenda based than genuine concern for anybody.
a few seconds ago · Like

Sam Amick threw Kevin Martin under the bus when he had an opportunity to do a feature piece on him and, to the surprise and consternation of Martin and his family, ended up doing a hatchet piece about how Martin didn't wear his seatbelt and was, therefore, immature and reckless.
Wait, did Amick have a grudge against Martin or not?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Sam must be angry at someone in the Kings organization because he doesn't have a source on the team anymore.

In almost every case, Sam would break the news of an impending Kings trade or transaction minutes before everyone else broke it. My guess is that his source in the organization got shipped out with the old regime (Mike Petrie?) and Sam's been working his ass off to get a new one to no avail.

Journalism hath no harsher weapon than slander and curses.

When I was 23 I was a hot head on the court. I never backed down and could talk smack with the best of them. I am glad that none of those games were on TV (well....not really, I would loved to have played on TV) and that my character wasn't being judged by professional writers.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Are you sure Sam wasn't writing this for the Inquierer? You'd think the editors at USA Today would have probably had him tone some of the stuff down in the name of journalism.

Entity

Hall of Famer
His story said two witnesses told him then said one was on twitter. Then said dozens heard. Before that he said it was a scene all to familiar to fans at sleep train but yet has nothing but this hearsay incident to speak of.

His story said two witnesses told him then said one was on twitter. Then said dozens heard. Before that he said it was a scene all to familiar to fans at sleep train but yet has nothing but this hearsay incident to speak of.
Besides being of suspect intent, it was poorly written. I had to reread it to try and piece together the little puzzle he was creating. I like Sam's stuff and am bummed he wrote this.

If it was a "likeable" athlete, this articles end up taking the slant of how much abuse they shouldn't have to take from fans. From a guy like Cuz, it's used to point out how he is a problem child that needs to grow up.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think what bothers me the most is exactly what some have already said. Stuff like this happens and has happened for a very long time. Is it right that DMC said something inappropriate? Nope. But is it really necessary for Sam Amick - or any "reporter" for that matter - to always want to spill the beans?

Maybe I'm in the minority (I know @carmichaeldave disagrees, based on his tweets tonight) but I do not think this is journalism and I do not think it is reporting. I think it's no better than TMZ or any of a myriad of gossip blogs.

Is this a story? Depends on what you call a story and what you think is grist for the mill. I certainly don't think it was worth an entire column. I think it's beneath Sam Amick.

Am I defending Demarcus Cousins? Yes. He's human; he makes mistakes. I'd like to see Amick or anyone else live under the kind of scrutiny Demarcus faces every single moment of his life and see how they stand up to it. Then, have them be targeted without mercy and denied the basic courtesy of fair treatment by the people who are responsible for trying to maintain a level playing field. I know it's fashionable to post everything either on Twitter or Facebook or via whatever social media possible. Cool. If that's the case, then where's the story about how far Cousins has come this year? The kid has made HUGE strides, and yet it's not enough. He's not abusing his wife or his dog, he's not destroying cameras in the tunnel, he's not being arrested for DUI or brandishing a weapon. He's made a couple of poor decisions when it comes to verbal altercations. Seriously. THAT'S IT.

Those in the media can defend Amick all they like...and they will. I'm going to defend Cousins. I'm not going to say he didn't do something wrong. I'm merely saying it doesn't rise to the level of meriting an entire column in USAToday. And I think they all know it.

I think what bothers me the most is exactly what some have already said. Stuff like this happens and has happened for a very long time. Is it right that DMC said something inappropriate? Nope. But is it really necessary for Sam Amick - or any "reporter" for that matter - to always want to spill the beans?

Maybe I'm in the minority (I know @carmichaeldave disagrees, based on his tweets tonight) but I do not think this is journalism and I do not think it is reporting. I think it's no better than TMZ or any of a myriad of gossip blogs.

Is this a story? Depends on what you call a story and what you think is grist for the mill. I certainly don't think it was worth an entire column. I think it's beneath Sam Amick.

Am I defending Demarcus Cousins? Yes. He's human; he makes mistakes. I'd like to see Amick or anyone else live under the kind of scrutiny Demarcus faces every single moment of his life and see how they stand me. Then, have them be targeted without mercy and denied the basic courtesy of fair treatment by the people who are responsible for trying to maintain a level playing field. I know it's fashionable to post everything either on Twitter or Facebook or via whatever social media possible. Cool. If that's the case, then where's the story about how far Cousins has come this year? The kid has made HUGE strides, and yet it's not enough. He's not abusing his wife or his dog, he's not destroying cameras in the tunnel, he's not being arrested for DUI or brandishing a weapon. He's made a couple of poor decisions when it comes to verbal altercations. Seriously. THAT'S IT.

Those in the media can defend Amick all they like...and they will. I'm going to defend Cousins. I'm not going to say he didn't do something wrong. I'm merely saying it doesn't rise to the level of meriting an entire column in USAToday. And I think they all know it.
My favorite part about it is how people like CD (and I'm sure other members of the "media") will call out fans for bashing Amick while conveniently ignoring the irony in the kind of abuse Cousins receives that leads to these interactions.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ah.

Jokes don't come across well on the internet if it's not all that obvious. That was a crap joke.
It wasn't so much a joke as an excuse for less than perfect behavior on the part of someone who I personally feel is already persecuted. I'm pretty sure if you go back and check the comments in context you'll see... Based on the comments I got from a couple of other people at the time, I'm pretty sure they understood. Sorry if it wasn't that obvious to you.

BTW? Check your Inbox.