Scathing Article from Amick on Cousins

Sam's article compared to the grantland one looks very poor. That's being nice.

More from twitter:
Some dude: @sam_amick you're one of my favorites writers. Its why im so disappointed in your Demarcus Cousins article.

Sam:@sgsage It was an opinion piece based on a whole lot of facts & background, Steven. Not everyone is going to agree. Thx for the honest note
1:33pm - 23 Jan 14

https://mobile.twitter.com/LillyAnnFraizer/status/426485211921010688

She's kinda my hero of this moment

Lilly: @sam_amick Reminds me of the garbage article you wrote on Kevin Martin & focused in him not wearing a seat belt. You're a Sac backstabber.

I'm surprised he would even respond, go Lilly!

I just can't understand why he wrote that article. To ruin a relationship with the soon to be if not already best big in the game? Seems a poor career move.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
https://mobile.twitter.com/LillyAnnFraizer/status/426485211921010688

She's kinda my hero of this moment

Lilly: @sam_amick Reminds me of the garbage article you wrote on Kevin Martin & focused in him not wearing a seat belt. You're a Sac backstabber.

I'm surprised he would even respond, go Lilly!

I just can't understand why he wrote that article. To ruin a relationship with the soon to be if not already best big in the game? Seems a poor career move.
Hey, wait! I brought that up first. ;)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Posted for you my dear.
It's just a bit of a sore subject for me. I know several members of Kevin Martin's family. I knew the article on him was going to come out and the whole family was waiting for it, especially since Amick interviewed several of them. When it did hit the stands, it was a total shock. Amick threw Martin under the bus. I objected vehemently at the time, as did many others. It totally gave the wrong impression of Martin, just like this piece is not an accurate portrayal of Cousins - no matter what Amick says in defense. I have little respect for any journalist who uses "people need to know the truth" as an excuse for character assassination cloaked in the veil of "opinion piece." Amick could and should have done much better.

It's just a bit of a sore subject for me. I know several members of Kevin Martin's family. I knew the article on him was going to come out and the whole family was waiting for it, especially since Amick interviewed several of them. When it did hit the stands, it was a total shock. Amick threw Martin under the bus. I objected vehemently at the time, as did many others. It totally gave the wrong impression of Martin, just like this piece is not an accurate portrayal of Cousins - no matter what Amick says in defense. I have little respect for any journalist who uses "people need to know the truth" as an excuse for character assassination cloaked in the veil of "opinion piece." Amick could and should have done much better.
His response to kmart comment?

@LillyAnnFraizer And the credibility hole you're digging gets deeper. Ask Kevin about that piece next time you see him. Please.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
His response to kmart comment?

@LillyAnnFraizer And the credibility hole you're digging gets deeper. Ask Kevin about that piece next time you see him. Please.
Kevin Martin was and is a class act. What Kevin might say publicly would be a lot nicer than Amick deserves, and Amick knows it. But you know what? Let Amick try and justify his actions all he likes. The "other" Cousins article shows what real reporting is all about. Put the two pieces next to each other and judge for yourselves.

Sam does not have the sense to stay silent at the taunts, just another sign that his immaturity is getting the better of his professionalism when it comes to DMC.

I've enjoyed watching Lilly unravel him. He has it coming.

Is Lilly a kf.com member?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sam does not have the sense to stay silent at the taunts, just another sign that his immaturity is getting the better of his professionalism when it comes to DMC.

I've enjoyed watching Lilly unravel him. He has it coming.

Is Lilly a kf.com member?
I don't think so. She's followed on Twitter by Vlade Divac and Mike Tavares, though...and now VF21. ;)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Sam did not seem to like people responding to his last article by referencing the current Grantland piece.
Seems like he's sent it out several times, usually in response to the Grantland article being tweeted to him.

@sam_amick: You haven't a clue how much legwork has gone into my view of Cousins over 3 yrs,do you? Do your own homework 1st, then report back
Well, let's see. Sam defends his article as having had a lot of legwork going into it. I believe the words "well-researched" were also used.

Sam's article has direct quotes from one individual:

DeMarcus Cousins.

The Jonathan Abrams article which apparently induces Amick to defend his own as having had a lot of "legwork" quotes the following people:

DeMarcus Cousins
Monique Cousins (mother)
Otis Hughley (high school coach)
Keith Smart (former Kings head coach)
Isaiah Thomas (Kings teammate)
Geoff Petrie (former Kings GM)
Gary Williams (AAU assistant coach)
Danny Pritchett (AAU head coach)
Jaleel Cousins (younger brother)
Van Phillips (high school principal)
John Wall (college teammate)
Keith Williams (trainer)
Grant Napear (Kings TV play-by-play announcer)
John Greig (former agent)
Clifford Ray (assistant coach/NBA big man mentor)
Michael Malone (current Kings head coach)
Pete D'Alessandro (current Kings GM)
Patrick Patterson (college teammate, former Kings teammate)

It also mentions viewpoints from the following not-interviewed individuals

Maurice Ford (opposing high school coach, quoted from newspaper article)
Paul Westphal (former Kings head coach, declined interview)

Yeah, I guess I'd get defensive, too.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
I am not much of a trash talker face to face or tweet to tweet but I applaud anyone who does this to Amick. :p That article was scum if black marks on a screen can be defined as such.

Seems like Chubbs has done quite a bit of leg work on the tweets.
Not really. Just went to Amick's twitter page and clicked on a couple conversations.

I mean, I spent extensive hours researching. ;)

Like Amick, a "whole lot of facts and background". Two conversations on twitter. I should write an article.

What, you expected a piece on DMC to include quotes and thoughts from people that know him? Why bother when a fan in the upper deck can tell you all you need to know to fit your narrative?

I see Amick's article as a smear campaign timed to get the most number of online hits due to the All Star game being almost upon us. Amick and his boss want to get the most "readers" they can. One way to do this is to post a story like this laced with controversy with little substance to back it up.

I mean eveyone knows Cousins is a fiery competitor during the games. Some of us think that is a positive trait. Perhaps his most valuble one as he matures and learns to temper it. Stuff gets said during competition that would not be said on the street.

As far as Amick's "story" my take is "Move along, nothing to see here."

Amick and his boss want to get the most "readers" they can.
Odd behavior for a media outlet I'm sure.

I see both articles as telling the same story, but from different angles. The Grantland one was far better researched, but I think that is a function of the product they are selling (deeper analysis over news).

This didn't draw a lot of media coverage and I hope that has more to do with other stories (namely Richard Sherman and the hilarious outrage of his interview), versus the fact that this is what the general public already thinks of Cousins, thus it was "news worthy".

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Odd behavior for a media outlet I'm sure.

I see both articles as telling the same story, but from different angles. The Grantland one was far better researched, but I think that is a function of the product they are selling (deeper analysis over news).

This didn't draw a lot of media coverage and I hope that has more to do with other stories (namely Richard Sherman and the hilarious outrage of his interview), versus the fact that this is what the general public already thinks of Cousins, thus it was "news worthy".
I think it's something of a stretch to classify Amick's column as "news."