Sasha Watch 2022-2023

ive scoured nba rosters for matches and I can barely find any. The target has to be considerably better than Barnes or Keegan if one believes he is trade bait ( I wouldn’t put it past stone cold Monte but I lean no on him doing it).
The one guy I've always coveted, and still do, is one we wouldn't be able to get. Mikal Bridges.

I really liked him coming into the 2018 draft and think he'd be the ideal fit for this KINGS team. Problem is, he's an ideal fit for pretty much every team and the Nets would be crazy to let him go.

I agree.

Not saying they're gonna be wrong, but the "better defense" things seems like some hyperbole. Not that Keegan isn't and can't be a very good defender, but that, before injuries, Klay was a damned good defensive player. He's made all-NBA defensive 2nd team before.

If Keegan can play better defense than that, watch out!
Ah, another smokehouse man. You have great taste.

Yes, the defense comment is for sure hyperbolic. I'd like to see him get to that level, and based on improvement trajectory - I currently place it within the realm of possibility. We shall see!

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Possibly, before his break out season this year. I think his asking price went up closer to the MLE now. Sasha has more leverage this summer than last.
He's making 1.5 million euros I think, there's pre-tax vs. post tax issues in play, and he will have to pay a portion of his buyout himself, but I think that we could probably get him for 6-8 on the same type of 3 year deal we brought Bogi over on where we will retain RFA status at the end. That would be ideal. Would be a highly movable piece if it didn't work out or the opportunity for a bonafide star came along.

He's making 1.5 million euros I think, there's pre-tax vs. post tax issues in play, and he will have to pay a portion of his buyout himself, but I think that we could probably get him for 6-8 on the same type of 3 year deal we brought Bogi over on where we will retain RFA status at the end. That would be ideal. Would be a highly movable piece if it didn't work out or the opportunity for a bonafide star came along.
21/3 should d it.

You just can't tell me this dude wouldn't be insane in the DHO with Domas.
Unfortunate game for a team (Zalgiris) Domas supports in Euroleague as his dad played/owned the team and his brother is a coach there.
Sasha is Euroleague MVP the best player on the best team...99% we'll get him.
p.s. about his contract extension...he was overpaid a bit for a reason...Olympiacos overpaid a bit but also increased his buyout...they know they are losing him and want to get compensated...Sasha is in win win situation he gets overpaid if he stays or he'll get to play in the NBA....he gets €1.5M after tax...so its about 3m another 700k he has to pay for the buyout Kings will pay another 700k to Olympiacos...if we're really cheap we can get him probably for 15/3...but lets be generous 20/3 and it's a deal.

James Ham said the Kings wanted Sasha last year on a minimum deal over 3-4 years but Sasha wanted the biannual exception so it didn’t work out.

Sean Cunningham said the Kings want him and think they can get him and that he expects him to be on the roster next season.
Hmmm yea, I don’t believe Ham on this one. I’m not one to call reports and rumors BS, but why on earth would we only offer him a minimum deal?

Under the current CBA because he has 0 years, it’d only be around $1mill/year.

You’re talking about a 26-year-old player who averaged 14.4pts 6.4rebs on 54.7/39.6/82.1 across 67 games last year.

Another big reason why I call BS? Bjelica, Bogdan, and Bojan have all had similar circumstances and made way more than minimum contracts.

Hmmm yea, I don’t believe Ham on this one. I’m not one to call reports and rumors BS, but why on earth would we only offer him a minimum deal?

Under the current CBA because he has 0 years, it’d only be around $1mill/year.

You’re talking about a 26-year-old player who averaged 14.4pts 6.4rebs on 54.7/39.6/82.1 across 67 games last year.

Another big reason why I call BS? Bjelica, Bogdan, and Bojan have all had similar circumstances and made way more than minimum contracts.
Yeh who knows. It’s possible that he was given bad info. He mentioned it on his last podcast, can’t imagine he just straight up lied about it. It’s also possible he misspoke and meant to say we offered the BAE and Sasha wanted more which is what I thought the rumor was last year

funkykingston

Super Moderator
Staff member
The more I think about it the more I think you both bring Vezenkov over AND re-sign Lyles. The plans for this offseason start with whether or not Barnes is re-signed, but beyond that I think the priorities are pretty clear. If Barnes wants to be back, I'd like to see him stay in a Kings uniform. Beyond that, I think this is roughly Monte's to-do list:

1. See if you can move Holmes or if he'll turn down his player option to sign elsewhere for a bigger role.
  2. Sign or trade for a backup center, ideally one that can run the same actions as Sabonis and/or who can defend the paint. For those reasons, I'd still love to see Hartenstein in a Kings uniform, but I don't know how likely that is.
  3. Re-sign Lyles, extend Sabonis, and bring Sasha over.
  4. Let Len and TD walk unless Davis comes back on a low cost deal. Sign either Metu or Queta as the 3rd string C and sign Keon Ellis as the 3rd string SG.
  5. Draft a high upside player in the first round and take a couple flyers in the 2nd with guys that can be signed to two way deals. The team wouldn't need production from rookies so you have the luxury of developing guys slowly. Or you have the option of trading the pick on draft night to get one of the other pieces.
C Sabonis/backup C/Metu or Queta
PF Barnes/Lyles/Vezenkov
SF Murray/Edwards/FRP or FA
SG Huerter/Monk/Ellis
PG Fox/Mitchell/FRP or FA

Two way: Second round picks

All of that seems really doable to me. It keeps consistency with the starting lineup and improves the bench.

And as much as Vezenkov should thrive with Sabonis, the smallball lineup with Lyles at the 5 and Sasha at the 4 would light it up from outside.

Last edited:
Let's take a look at the numbers for next year:

2023-2024 Salary Cap: $134 million

Kings' Salary:
  • Guaranteed Contracts: $105,062,089
    • (included Edwards' who has a team option)
  • Projected Cap Space: $28,937,911
    • (if we release all cap holds)
Kings' notable free agents and their cap holds:
  • Barnes: 27.5million (bird)
  • TD: 7.6 million (bird)
  • Lyles: 3.4 million (early bird)
  • Metu: 1.7million (bird)
  • Ellis: 1.7million
  • Queta: 1.7million
  • 1st round pick: 2.3 million (rough estimate)
The best option here is to renounce all of our cap holds except for Metu who's $1.7million isn't a deal breaker in the grand scheme.

We have to try and dump Holmes this offseason because he's at $12million/yr and still has an additional year. If we dump him, we'd have $40.9million in can space which would be enough to retain everyone without any issues. I don't think we'll have to pick between Sasha or Lyles. We just need to get rid of Holmes.

Let's take a look at the numbers for next year:

2023-2024 Salary Cap: $134 million

Kings' Salary:
  • Guaranteed Contracts: $105,062,089
    • (included Edwards' who has a team option)
  • Projected Cap Space: $28,937,911
    • (if we release all cap holds)
Kings' notable free agents and their cap holds:
  • Barnes: 27.5million (bird)
  • TD: 7.6 million (bird)
  • Lyles: 3.4 million (early bird)
  • Metu: 1.7million (bird)
  • Ellis: 1.7million
  • Queta: 1.7million
  • 1st round pick: 2.3 million (rough estimate)
The best option here is to renounce all of our cap holds except for Metu who's $1.7million isn't a deal breaker in the grand scheme.

We have to try and dump Holmes this offseason because he's at $12million/yr and still has an additional year. If we dump him, we'd have $40.9million in can space which would be enough to retain everyone without any issues. I don't think we'll have to pick between Sasha or Lyles. We just need to get rid of Holmes.
Not quite. There are other cap holds too for example the MLE and Bi Annual. There's absolutely no reason to renounce cap holds until you have a player ready to sign that requires the cap space otherwise you limit other options for potential sign and trades with teams that are over the cap.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
It looks like the biannual is just a two year deal max. Can’t imagine the Kings or Sasha would want that
2 year with option on 3rd that extends Bird rights plus RFA is the way to go.

IIRC Sasha was supposed to fly to Vegas to negotiate and then backed out. I think everybody's "inside" info is highly suspect, especially Ham who spent most of the offseason trashing Monte for just about all his moves, but really he was most upset because they wouldn't let him host his podcast in the arena or something after the draft.

Not quite. There are other cap holds too for example the MLE and Bi Annual. There's absolutely no reason to renounce cap holds until you have a player ready to sign that requires the cap space otherwise you limit other options for potential sign and trades with teams that are over the cap.
Not just signings can be done, trades as well. If Monte can get Holmes off the books, or even make a big deal on draft night with his pick it could really set him up this summer to make that next big bump of a step if the playoffs don't show the Kings as a true contender.

2 year with option on 3rd that extends Bird rights plus RFA is the way to go.

IIRC Sasha was supposed to fly to Vegas to negotiate and then backed out. I think everybody's "inside" info is highly suspect, especially Ham who spent most of the offseason trashing Monte for just about all his moves, but really he was most upset because they wouldn't let him host his podcast in the arena or something after the draft.
I think Sasha getting offered the minimum explains it unless this is another Bodiroga, but we haven't heard anything to support that.

Possibly, before his break out season this year. I think his asking price went up closer to the MLE now. Sasha has more leverage this summer than last.
I actually think he has less leverage. Last season he would have been joining a bad team to try and help them make the playoffs. Something many felt they needed to accomplish. This off season, he would be joining a team that just finished near the top of the Western conference. He could be a big help them them next season, but is not a need.

Just watched his round 33 game vs Crvena Zvezda (team I follow) and he played his normal solid game started out on fire at the start of the game against a 6'6 guard forward and had about 9 in the first with great off the ball movement and understanding he was bigger. Than for the literally whole 2nd half and most the 2nd quarter was matched with Petrusev unfortunately for Sasha former NBA player Campazzo obliterated the Olympiacos offense (can't not do anything in terms of, off the ball stuff) with 5 steals and the team never went once to him in a one on one situation against Petrusev.

Olympiacos seems to ball the ultimate team ball and legit never go iso or try force feed Sasha (at least they didn't this game). I really wanted to see Sasha vs Petrusev cause I think both are NBA talents but a pesky Argentinian was having none of it and Campazzo was the MVP by a country mile.

Interested to see how Olympiacos goes in the playoffs because imo talent wise they play way above what they are (#1 seed atm) but they play great basketball/amazing chemistry.

Considering 8 minutes in the NBA got him another job playing ball seems pretty good to me. Im sure he hoped he could stay, and maybe he thought Brown would do more to try and keep him. But if he's upset at the organization... well maybe he's just not that good if he couldn't get more that 8 minutes.

I didn’t get that at all. How are you inferring that?
"Situation is very important," he continued about the biggest lesson he learned in the NBA environment. "Situation is very, very important. Some people struggle on certain teams not because they are not good players but because they are in the wrong situation. It's very important to play for a coach, play on a team that believes in you, and will give you opportunities to play the way you wanna play."

"It depends on how Mike Brown is going to use him," Moneke responded when asked if Vezenkov would be a suitable piece in Brown's schemes.
"I love the way he plays because he doesn't need the ball to affect the game. He is shooting the ball and rebounding very well. What he is doing in the EuroLeague, they will find a way to use him in the right way, I hope for him. He is a great player, and he will be fine. He should be fine if they are telling the truth about how they want to use him."

Sounds to me like he's inferring that Brown and the team didn't believe in him and didn't give him opportunities to play the way he wanted to play.

The last sentence of the Vezenkov paragraph is pretty telling as well.

“He should be fine if they are telling the truth about how they want to use him”

A lawyer could poke a hole in the argument easily enough but he seems to be implying that he (chima) was not used in the way he was told he would be.

Ya, I’d you read it negatively you can get there, I guess. I’m not sure what Chima was expecting. 27 year old rookie with no skill set that stood out.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
“He should be fine if they are telling the truth about how they want to use him”

A lawyer could poke a hole in the argument easily enough but he seems to be implying that he (chima) was not used in the way he was told he would be.
This doesn't exactly seem to fit with the notion that Mike Brown had the players each sign "contracts" understanding what their role would be - I can't quite imagine that Chima, as effectively a 15th-man, was promised a larger role than he was given.

This doesn't exactly seem to fit with the notion that Mike Brown had the players each sign "contracts" understanding what their role would be - I can't quite imagine that Chima, as effectively a 15th-man, was promised a larger role than he was given.
There is some wiggle room there imo. The dishonesty (from Chima’s perspective) could have taken place on the day he chose to sign with the kings over the other options.

"Situation is very important," he continued about the biggest lesson he learned in the NBA environment. "Situation is very, very important. Some people struggle on certain teams not because they are not good players but because they are in the wrong situation. It's very important to play for a coach, play on a team that believes in you, and will give you opportunities to play the way you wanna play."

"It depends on how Mike Brown is going to use him," Moneke responded when asked if Vezenkov would be a suitable piece in Brown's schemes.
"I love the way he plays because he doesn't need the ball to affect the game. He is shooting the ball and rebounding very well. What he is doing in the EuroLeague, they will find a way to use him in the right way, I hope for him. He is a great player, and he will be fine. He should be fine if they are telling the truth about how they want to use him."

Sounds to me like he's inferring that Brown and the team didn't believe in him and didn't give him opportunities to play the way he wanted to play.

The last sentence of the Vezenkov paragraph is pretty telling as well.
I mean, was Chima really expecting to walk into an NBA rotation picked off the streets? Especially a team already pretty much full when he signed on?

I thought he had some real interesting traits to be like a PJ Tucker type, but he certainly didn't 100% prove he deserved a rotation spot at any point with the Kings. In contrast, Kessler Edwards very much has earned the right to be a rotation player with his immediate impact. Chima didn't do that.