Sasha Watch 2022-2023

I think he just wants the regular MLE around 10mil per? Most guys like him get one deal if it doesn't work out so I'm sure he is trying to maximize it to a deal that will guarantee at least 20 mil. We give him the 2 year with a 3rd year option for us, same type of deal we did with Bogi, gives us a ton of flexibility if he works out. At the end of the day, it's still MLE of one sort or the other and becomes a matter of how Vivek feels about luxury tax on a playoff team.

I'd like to think if we do make the playoffs this season we won't be a poverty team moving forward. Especially if this represents a guaranteed way to acquire talent.
Then that value to me is entirely dependent on how valuable Monte thinks his cap is. Or how much he's willing to stake his ability to improve the team without sacrificing on Vezenkov. It might be worth it, the playoffs will tell that story for sure.

What do you think of him defending the 3? Like he could obviously play next to Keegan, but what about a Trey Lyles or Grant Williams sort of 4 where he would need to defend up?

If you can swing him 3/4 like you can Keegan and Barnes, then he'll have a pretty clear role to 25+ MPG with us.
He's more suited to guards 4s than 3s. Put him on an island against your traditional SFs, and he's going to struggle.

However, if he's playing against the backup 3s in those cases next to Lyles, I think he'd be ok in limited stretches. I've seen some Bjelica comps come up, but I think Vezenkov is slightly more athletic and moves better laterally. Vezenkov isn't a good individual defender, but he appears to be a good team defender for whatever it's worth.

He's more suited to guards 4s than 3s. Put him on an island against your traditional SFs, and he's going to struggle.

However, if he's playing against the backup 3s in those cases next to Lyles, I think he'd be ok in limited stretches. I've seen some Bjelica comps come up, but I think Vezenkov is slightly more athletic and moves better laterally. Vezenkov isn't a good individual defender, but he appears to be a good team defender for whatever it's worth.
Yeah that's all I need. 6-10 MPG at the 3. Perhaps something like:

Keegan 32 || Barnes 10 || Vezenkov 6
Vezenkov 22 || Barnes 20 || Lyles 6
Sabonis 34 || Lyles 14

Seems like a reasonable rotation

I think if you can get a guy that moves off the ball and shoots like Sasha, you absolutely bring him over to play off Fox and Ox. If he, Keegan and Huerter are all moving off ball, setting screens and cutting - that would be a super fun team to watch.
You have identified a major problem: hardly anyone on the Kings, apart from Sabonis, Holmes, and Monk, sets good screens. When multiple outside shooters have a bad game, that is one important reason. Metu tries, but his technique needs work. Sabonis veers into moving screens, which can run up his foul total when called. Monk uses his hands to clog up the defense, like a football lineman, but sometimes disengages a fraction of a second too soon.

This is definitely an aspect of teamwork that can improve over the last segment of the season.

Last edited:
Does anybody else think Sasha is leveraging the Kings (and NBA) to get a sweeter deal?

I just think the odds of him coming over are slim to none. This isn't a Peja situation where he is young and wanting to make a name for himself.

I personally put the odds of him coming over at less than 5%. I just don't think he is uprooting his whole life for this. He doesn't care about the Kings. He has no ties here. Dude is living his best life.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Does anybody else think Sasha is leveraging the Kings (and NBA) to get a sweeter deal?
He just signed a two-year extension to his European contract a month and a half ago. He doesn't have a "sweeter deal" to leverage for two more years. He's got 3M Euros on the next two years of that deal, our full MLE could be worth $30M over three years. If it's about money, and we want him here, he'll be here.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
I dont think so - I have a gut feeling, that he will choose to be a superstar in EL instead of being mediocre in NBA.... Time will tell the truth.
Except he may see the success Luka had coming over and figure that he's got a chance to be great here, too. Hard to know what's rattling around in someone's head...

I personally put the odds of him coming over at less than 5%. I just don't think he is uprooting his whole life for this. He doesn't care about the Kings. He has no ties here. Dude is living his best life.
He can literally come over for a 3 year contract and make his money, an extra $15 million (post taxes), set up his family for life and return to Europe and still be in his prime, if things don't work out in the NBA.

There is like ZERO risk for him to come over. I think Monte really wants him and I think he comes over this summer.

Last edited:
Except he may see the success Luka had coming over and figure that he's got a chance to be great here, too. Hard to know what's rattling around in someone's head...
Yeah he'll be at the perfect age to try out the NBA. If it doesn't work, he'll still be able to have a few prime years back in Euroleague and dominate there.

Yeah he'll be at the perfect age to try out the NBA. If it doesn't work, he'll still be able to have a few prime years back in Euroleague and dominate there.
I can remember many ocassions, when European very good player came to NBA and was playing 5-10 min a game and basically was heating the bench at the end.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I can remember many ocassions, when European very good player came to NBA and was playing 5-10 min a game and basically was heating the bench at the end.
Well, this does happen, but the opposite does as well. Bogdan came over several years after being drafted on an MLE-sized contract and immediately got 28 MPG (as a King, no less). Bojan also came over several years after being drafted on a $3M/year deal and immediately got 24 MPG.

I suspect that if we pay enough to get Sasha to come, we're doing it because we think he's going to be solidly in the rotation. Perhaps not starting, but if he came over next year and played <20 MPG, I'd be surprised.

Depends on the player if you look at what type of star players(meaning they come over in their late to mid 20's) fail it's always the ones that lack physicality or are PG's who can't keep up speed wise that's why guys like Ginboli/Noccioni/Bogdanovicx 2/Joe Ingles (technically Aussie but played for ages in Europe) in recent times all of whom came over and succeed because their strength and being big guards/wings for their position made up for the lack of foot speed (Manu excluded).

Guys like Navarro/ Saraus/Teodosic/Spanollis/Campazzo/Guduric all were crap (empty stats as well), all small/lacked physicality/speed and played the hardest position to be good in as well. None of that applies to Sasha currently he's closer in the category that succeeded although you can question his physicality similar to Bjelly/Melli I guess.

I have never understood why talented Euro's (In Serbia in particular) barring the naturally enormous C's don't focus on strength since they will never have the explosiveness in foot speed of Afro-Americans/West Africans, it's a massive help if they're trying to get to the NBA and a huge reason imo a lot of them are kept out.

Last edited:
Last week Sasha had probably one of his worst performances of the year where he went head to head against Nikola Mirotic who plays for Barcelona. Barcelona is one of the top teams in Europe headlined with former NBA players: Nikola Mirotic, Tomas Satoransky, Alex Abrines, and Jan Vesely.

Sasha ended up with: 13pts 7rebs 1stl on 5-16 FG and 2-6 from 3pt.

Mirotic absolutely killed him in their matchup. He scored 3 straight on Sasha in the 1st quarter just off his positioning and post-ups. His coach ended up having to put someone else on Mirotic for the 2nd half of the game.. Sasha was clearly bothered by Barcelona's strength and length on both ends of the floor. On offense, he wasn't getting any looks from 3pt. They did a good job denying him the ball from handoffs. Whenever he caught the ball in a position to shoot, defenders were right in his grill. He also struggled to finish at the rim against their 7fters.

He's been playing amazing basketball, but I think his opponent is probably the closest thing to facing an NBA team. Here's the full match, but I don't think it's worth the watch. He was really painful to watch and the quality of the video isn't great:

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Last week Sasha had probably one of his worst performances of the year where he went head to head against Nikola Mirotic who plays for Barcelona. Barcelona is one of the top teams in Europe headlined with former NBA players: Nikola Mirotic, Tomas Satoransky, Alex Abrines, and Jan Vesely.

Sasha ended up with: 13pts 7rebs 1stl on 5-16 FG and 2-6 from 3pt.

Mirotic absolutely killed him in their matchup. He scored 3 straight on Sasha in the 1st quarter just off his positioning and post-ups. His coach ended up having to put someone else on Mirotic for the 2nd half of the game.. Sasha was clearly bothered by Barcelona's strength and length on both ends of the floor. On offense, he wasn't getting any looks from 3pt. They did a good job denying him the ball from handoffs. Whenever he caught the ball in a position to shoot, defenders were right in his grill. He also struggled to finish at the rim against their 7fters.

He's been playing amazing basketball, but I think his opponent is probably the closest thing to facing an NBA team. Here's the full match, but I don't think it's worth the watch. He was really painful to watch and the quality of the video isn't great:
He's playing NBA level competition but who are the NBA level guys on his team to help? Something tells me if he was matched up against Mirotic in an NBA game neither guy is going to be the offensive focal point.

If I'm going to bring up one of Sasha's worst game of the year, I should also mention his 33pt performance a game prior to that one:

He abousltey dominated:
33pts 7rebs 4asts on 11-15 FG and 7-10 from 3pt.

He made what would end up being the game winner leaving 5.6s left on the clock.

He's playing NBA level competition but who are the NBA level guys on his team to help? Something tells me if he was matched up against Mirotic in an NBA game neither guy is going to be the offensive focal point.
His team is actually the best in the Euroleague. They ended up winning this game against Barcelona despite Sasha's poor performance. His team also has a bunch of former NBA players who you might recognize, but of course, none were as good as Mirotic: Isaiah Canaan, Tarik Black, Kostas Papanikolaou, and Alec Peters.