Sasha Watch 2022-2023

I think once he get's here people will realize the reality of it that his game is not made for the NBA, i hope I'm wrong but I can't see it translating at a high level.

Some of our resident euro guys can speak more on this, but how common is a back to back Euroleague MVP? It's just hard for me to see how a dude dominating the 2nd best league in the world couldn't find a way to be a good player in the NBA. Especially a guy that seems to base his game off shooting and movement.

Some of our resident euro guys can speak more on this, but how common is a back to back Euroleague MVP? It's just hard for me to see how a dude dominating the 2nd best league in the world couldn't find a way to be a good player in the NBA. Especially a guy that seems to base his game off shooting and movement.
It's a completely different sport in some ways, former NBA player Anthony Parker is the only guy to win 2 in a row in the modern Euroleague era (close to 20 years). I go back and forth with Sasha in regards to the NBA out of the 18 seasons of Euroleague MVP's only AK47 (was still in somewhat his good years so not a good example and had elite seasons in the NBA prior to going back), Mirotic and Doncic had success after that it's Navarro had a ok season with a bad grizz team the rest is super bleak where they were bad/downright terrible (Teodosic/Spanulois/de Colo/Vesely/Rodriguez and Bjelly (had half a great season in Sac).

I personally think the very good role players (Joe Ingles) in the Euroleague in alot of cases could do far better than a lot of the elite guys. Hopefully Sasha will be good in the NBA but I personally think there are many better wings than him as NBA fits.

I think it’s telling that Mike James is number 2 on the MVP ladder this year. James clearly has NBA talent - but can’t find a role that suits him in the NBA. I think Sasha is smart in that his comments last year suggested he wasn’t thinking of coming to the NBA just because it’s the best league - but that if an interested team offered him a suitable role that could be a possibility.

I don’t watch his games - but his off ball movement, shooting and rebounding are potentially good fits for what the Kings do.

Just watched the full game of Sasha Vezenko against Red Star, he had 2 different types of players on him for most the game one being a 6'6 super strong SG/SF who he could shoot over and post up (forced many doubles) and 76ers 2nd rounder from a few seasons ago Filp Petrusev who imo was the best player on the floor. It was insane a couple of Sasha's makes where he had a 6'11 guy with decent mobility right in his face his release might be the quickest I have ever seen for a guy his size literally Curry type release. Sasha has me coming around to being a good pick up in the NBA I was hesitant at first but he could play that Bjelly role.

I think the Kings should have a look at maybe trading a 2nd rounder for the rights of Petrusev, since Red Star got a coach who believes in him he's been amazing and he's playing PF as well as C and he's 9/18 so far from 3 point land and has been blocking shots and forcing double teams. He will be 23/24 next season so not to old.

I would love to see us pick up some of those players and actually talk them into coming over.
does someone have the nba rights to Petrusev?

I would love to see us pick up some of those players and actually talk them into coming over.
does someone have the nba rights to Petrusev?
76ers drafted him 2 seasons ago (middle of 2nd round or so), he's wanted to come over to the NBA since than but the 76ers told him he had to work on some things (I assume defense) and they already had like 15 guys + on contracts.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Just watched the full game of Sasha Vezenko against Red Star, he had 2 different types of players on him for most the game one being a 6'6 super strong SG/SF who he could shoot over and post up (forced many doubles) and 76ers 2nd rounder from a few seasons ago Filp Petrusev who imo was the best player on the floor. It was insane a couple of Sasha's makes where he had a 6'11 guy with decent mobility right in his face his release might be the quickest I have ever seen for a guy his size literally Curry type release. Sasha has me coming around to being a good pick up in the NBA I was hesitant at first but he could play that Bjelly role.

I think the Kings should have a look at maybe trading a 2nd rounder for the rights of Petrusev, since Red Star got a coach who believes in him he's been amazing and he's playing PF as well as C and he's 9/18 so far from 3 point land and has been blocking shots and forcing double teams. He will be 23/24 next season so not to old.
Yeah I was on the Petrusev bandwagon a couple of seasons ago when he left Gonzaga to play in Europe. If I remember correctly, there were times where he looked really good for Team Serbia in the Olympic qualifiers (Serbia lost to Italy in the game in question but Serbia was missing Jokic and Bogdan so that was kind of to be expected). I thought he looked like the best player his year on Mega Basket and that was with Simonovic and (later in the year) Jovic on the roster with him.

I’m not sure it would take much to get his rights from Philadelphia at this point so I certainly wouldn’t mind it. Not sure if he’s going to find the guaranteed NBA role he reportedly wants in Sacramento though.

Is it possible he comes over next season? What a steal this could be.
Seems unlikely he would go from Euroleague MVP to playing 12-15 minutes off the bench for us. Those who know his game better, is there any chance he could start alongside Keegan next year? Is he good enough for that? And then maybe convince Barnes to come back on a 4/44 and come off the bench for 20-25 per game? I just don’t know enough about Sasha to know if that makes any sense.

Sabonis/?/Queta
Keegan/Lyles/Metu
Sasha/Barnes/KZ
Huerter/Monk/TD
Fox/Davion/Delly

That second unit would be tough as nails, without even knowing who the 5 is.

Seems unlikely he would go from Euroleague MVP to playing 12-15 minutes off the bench for us. Those who know his game better, is there any chance he could start alongside Keegan next year? Is he good enough for that? And then maybe convince Barnes to come back on a 4/44 and come off the bench for 20-25 per game? I just don’t know enough about Sasha to know if that makes any sense.

Sabonis/?/Queta
Keegan/Lyles/Metu
Sasha/Barnes/KZ
Huerter/Monk/TD
Fox/Davion/Delly

That second unit would be tough as nails, without even knowing who the 5 is.
IMO, I think he could start at the Stretch 4 next to Murray at SF.

However, I think it may come down to choosing between Sasha and Harrison Barnes this summer. Barnes will still command a nice salary, probably at least 4 years/$60 million, which is not a coming off the bench type contract. Sasha will probably want somewhere around starter money to come over, ie $8-10mil/year over 3 years and to know that he has a solid shot at securing the starting position. Resigning Barnes would impede his chances of starting. I can't see a Euro MVP coming over for a likely bench role.

IMO, I think he could start at the Stretch 4 next to Murray at SF.

However, I think it may come down to choosing between Sasha and Harrison Barnes this summer. Barnes will still command a nice salary, probably at least 4 years/$60 million, which is not a coming off the bench type contract. Sasha will probably want somewhere around starter money to come over, ie $8-10mil/year over 3 years and to know that he has a solid shot at securing the starting position. Resigning Barnes would impede his chances of starting. I can't see a Euro MVP coming over for a likely bench role.
Bench roles are typically fine as long as they come with minutes. If Sasha can move, cut, and shoot here like he does there…He’ll likely command a significant amount of the minutes next to Domas. He’s absolutely perfect a compliment to Domas if the off the ball game translates. I see no reason why it wouldn’t.

I’d actually be very surprised if Sasha coming here was dependent on an immediate starting role. I doubt it will be. There’s a pathway to 20-25 minutes immediately for Sasha and even an eventual starting position if it all translates.

His starting salary is likely sure to double that of the highest paid Euroleague player or what he stands to make to return..so there’s more than a few incentives to move over to the NBA.

Last edited:
Bench roles are typically fine as long as they come with minutes. If Sasha can move, cut, and shoot here like he does there…He’ll likely command a significant amount of the minutes next to Domas. He’s absolutely perfect a compliment to Domas if the off the ball game translates. I see no reason why it wouldn’t.

I’d actually be very surprised if Sasha coming here was dependent on an immediate starting role. I doubt it will be. There’s a pathway to 20-25 minutes immediately for Sasha and even an eventual starting position if it all translates.

His starting salary is likely sure to double that of the highest paid Euroleague player or what he stands to make to return..so there’s more than a few incentives to move over to the NBA.
Well, I think one of the reasons he didn't come over this past off season was due to the fact the he had no clear path to 20-25 minutes per game and that is with very questionable depth at the backup PF/SF (Lyles/Metu/KZ) spot. If he didn't see a clear path to enough minutes with Barnes here and IF we re-sign Barnes this summer, the situation would be the same minutes wise as last off season.

Sasha still has options with his salary in Europe. What he misses on a higher NBA salary, he could ultimately make up and make more on endorsements for a Euroleague MVP.

I'm not entirely sure how the draft rights work, but do we need cap space to sign him or do we have "bird rights" to go over the cap on any potential deal?