Sasha Watch 2022-2023

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
I don't think he will be coming to the NBA after inking that new deal and why would he? he's in MVP talks in his league, gets big bucks, starter minutes and is a big name in that country. Only reason he would come over would be on the downside of his career to test out how the NBA functions. Kind of like Teodosic did. Played his whole prime overseas.
Even considering that the Euro terms are reported to be post-tax he would make more on one year with the MLE than what is being reported for this new deal.

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
“no nba escape” does this mean no possibility at all or no escape without buyout?
Earlier it was reported that the new buyout would be over the 800 and change that next year teams will be allowed to buy out, but that there was still a buyout. Would be stunned if he signed a no-buyout deal without getting NBA money.

This extension is a W-W for him. He's played great and deserves every penny. The added years also become a negotiation tactic where he can just tell the Kings, "either you pay me $$$, or I'll happily stay and be a star in Europe."

Money will talk. I haven't had a chance to look at the King's cap situation for next year yet, but if we're down to the MLEs, there's going to be a big difference if we have the non-tax payer mid level exception or not (the one we used to sign Monk)

Here's the differences between them:

Mid-Level exception: A cap exception that allows teams to sign one or multiple free agents to contracts above the minimum salary even if they are above the cap. There are three different mid-level exceptions. Teams may only use one of them, and the one(s) they have access to depends on their overall finances:

The cap-room mid-level exception is given to teams that were far enough below the cap to spend cap space on free agents. It can be used to sign contracts no longer than two years, and the projected amount for this exception in the 2022-23 season is $5,329,000.

The taxpayer mid-level exception can be used by any team operating above the salary cap, but is traditionally used by the most expensive ones. It offers a lower salary, but does not trigger a hard cap. It can be used to sign contracts no longer than three years, and the projected amount for this exception in the 2022-23 season is $6,392,000.

The non-taxpayer mid-level exception can be used by any team operating above the salary cap, but must be wielded with caution, as any team that does use it is hard-capped at the apron. It can be used to sign contracts for up to four years, and the projected amount for this exception in the 2022-23 season is $10,349,000.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
This extension is a W-W for him. He's played great and deserves every penny. The added years also become a negotiation tactic where he can just tell the Kings, "either you pay me $$$, or I'll happily stay and be a star in Europe."

Money will talk. I haven't had a chance to look at the King's cap situation for next year yet, but if we're down to the MLEs, there's going to be a big difference if we have the non-tax payer mid level exception or not (the one we used to sign Monk)

Here's the differences between them:
I don't see any way that we would have to restrict ourselves to the taxpayer MLE next season. We'll have something like $52M to play with under the tax level, and our only major free agent is Barnes. We could give Barnes $20M (seems like the high end of what he will command) and still have $32M. Assuming we sign Barnes, we won't have significant cap room for somebody else's free agent, so it will be small contracts (most on exceptions) or re-signing our own guys like TD and Lyles (which can't really budge us over $15M even in a crazy case). Budget $3-4M for a middle of the pack first rounder. We've still got plenty of room ($13M with these high estimates) for the full non-taxpayer MLE (about $10M). We're fine.

So if - and that's an "if" I can't speak to - Vezenkov is our priority next summer we have plenty to throw at him to coax him out of Europe and his current contract, at least from a financial point of view. We *can* do it. We may have other, higher priorities for our MLE, or maybe we don't value him enough to give him the full MLE, or hey, maybe somehow we make a series of trades that allow us to pick up a bunch of salary and change this equation. Maybe Sasha doesn't even want to play in the NBA for any money. But if money is no object, we are well-positioned to commit the money as it stands.

Can Sasha flex at all to the wing? Or is he purely a movement 4?

Regardless, Trey Lyles as your small-ball 5 back-up to Domas and him being able to play with him at the 4 might be an answer for us going forward. I kind of expect we'll see that at some point, especially if we do get to playoff time and pair the rotation down to 8. I think it'd be Davion-Monk-Lyles off the bench with the starters

I just wonder if he makes sense for us. Is he better than Lyles? Would we commit to Lyles as the back up 5? Is Sasha, Lyles, Monk and ? The answer on the bench?

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
I just wonder if he makes sense for us. Is he better than Lyles? Would we commit to Lyles as the back up 5? Is Sasha, Lyles, Monk and ? The answer on the bench?
If those shots he's taking translate? He kind of looks like Peja to me. If Lyles had a stroke like that he'd be on a max deal right now, haha. Translate is the key word there though lol. This dude is the wild card answer although he's looking like another player that gets most of his stuff off assisted baskets.

If those shots he's taking translate? He kind of looks like Peja to me. If Lyles had a stroke like that he'd be on a max deal right now, haha. Translate is the key word there though lol. This dude is the wild card answer although he's looking like another player that gets most of his stuff off assisted baskets.
Let’s say it translates and it’s an either or with Lyles. Are you taking 41 percent from 3 with no defense and average rebounding or Lyles 35-37 percent with other stuff he brings?

In 35 games this year at 27mpg, he's averaged: 17.3pts 6.5rebs 1.8asts 1stl on 57.3/44.5/82.3.

guys, I it's time to throw the MLE bag at him

pdxKingsFan

Staff member
Hopefully can give him an MLE deal, BAE I think wasn't going to get it done last year, but he may not require the full MLE either. Maybe something around 8mpy, so like a 3/24 with an option in there? Even with taxes and the portion he has to pay out of the buyout, I think that will represent a pay bump but hopefully allow us to keep Lyles. I assume Metu is gone, Len is gone. Maybe we put Queta on a minimum since I don't think he will be 2-way eligible, as the break glass guy? Obviously the trade deadline will probably see some light shakeup with these guys, TD who probably won't be back unless Davion gets shipped. Holmes situation is also hopefully resolved.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I regret to inform you that Sasha is at it yet again. Some nice passes from him in this clip package too along with some ridiculous threes with like three hands in his face.
also I don’t know if it’s a matter of Sasha not being able to create his own shot as much as it is Sasha just being such a good shooter with such a quick release that a pull up from the perimeter is a better possession for him than an iso drive.