[SAS/LAL] Can the Spurs mess up the NBA's dream finals?

Who wins, and in how many?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Apparently the Spurs believe they deserved the loss, because both Brent Barry (the shooter) and Gregg Popovich admitted that it was a good no-call. Interesting...

That call is just rarely made at end of games. Has nothing to do with the Lakers. Refs don't like to decide the game by putting a guy on the line with no time left.

As for Kobe -- maybe. And if it was, that truly would be abnormal/superstar treatment. But then again you have to remember that Kobe has taken I think a grand total of 6 FTs in 4 games now, which is just unthinkable.

Probably not. The refs don't make that call, KP. Are you denying example after example? Did you not see Howard on Bosh? Bosh got rammed to the court while actually going hard to the rim...
I've seen to many examples of what happened tonight whenever I watch the NBA, I'll just leave it at that.

The spurs were getting so many calls their way all night, add to that the fact that refs are very hesitant to make calls in game deciding plays you have a no call that makes sense. Was it the right call? No, but the spurs didn't exactly earn that call either. Lakers got screwed the play before when they should've reset the 24, the lakers got screwed when Manu's foot was on the line for his last 3, and the lakers got screwed when they called lamar's block a goaltend. The refs screwed up all those calls, it balances out but since the no call was on the last play it's some big f'n deal and the spurs were "screwed". The lakers totally outplayed them even with the refs helping the spurs for most of the game, they won that game fair and square.

The spurs were getting so many calls their way all night, add to that the fact that refs are very hesitant to make calls in game deciding plays you have a no call that makes sense. Was it the right call? No, but the spurs didn't exactly earn that call either. Lakers got screwed the play before when they should've reset the 24, the lakers got screwed when Manu's foot was on the line for his last 3, and the lakers got screwed when they called lamar's block a goaltend. The refs screwed up all those calls, it balances out but since the no call was on the last play it's some big f'n deal and the spurs were "screwed". The lakers totally outplayed them even with the refs helping the spurs for most of the game, they won that game fair and square.
Duncan's triple jump from the 3pt arc was fun too. I'm just now starting to calm down a bit. I didn't have any JD on hand.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The lakers totally outplayed them regardless of the calls/no calls of the officials; they won that game fair and square.
I fixed it for you.

It's not about the officiating IMHO. It's about which team wanted it more and, even with the home court advantage for the game and the chance to even the series, the Spurs just didn't look like they were hungry.

But that's just my observation, for whatever it's worth.

Last edited:
That call is just rarely made at end of games. Has nothing to do with the Lakers. Refs don't like to decide the game by putting a guy on the line with no time left.
It's sad how it's like an unwritten rule that a ref can't decide a game. When it's that obvious, when a player jumps into another player which prevents him getting a shot off, it should be called no matter what scenario is.

It's sad how it's like an unwritten rule that a ref can't decide a game. When it's that obvious, when a player jumps into another player which prevents him getting a shot off, it should be called no matter what scenario is.
Three things with this:

1) It's one of the few consistent judgments the refs make and contrary to what you've heard, it doesn't just benefit superstars. Ask Dirk who tries to win every game with a fallaway three.

2) As if today's fans wouldn't whine about refs deciding games just as they whine when they don't.

3) Marv: "Here's Jordan for the win!...He's called for a pushoff! Bryon Russell will shoot 2!"

I fixed it for you.

It's not about the officiating IMHO. It's about which team wanted it more and, even with the home court advantage for the game and the chance to even the series, the Spurs just didn't look like they were hungry.

But that's just my observation, for whatever it's worth.
The Spurs are old and even with their hearts, their legs can't sustain the power of the Lakers. The Lakers have outplayed them in this series. It's easy to say that.

gunks

Hall of Famer
This is the worst series ever. My 2 least favorite teams in the west going at it.

As much as I hate the Lakers, I hate the Spurs more. The entire Lakers hate thing was a rivalry, and since the Kings arnt even in their league (or close to it) anymore I think the rivalry is kinda irrelevant. Dont get me wrong, I still hate them, but its down to a simmer...It wont flare up again until a Kings/Lakers postseason match.

Now the Spurs...Where do I start? Ginobilli flops more then Wade and Martin combined. Duncan whines constantly. Pop was coaching like a chump with all the hack tactics the last couple rounds. Bowen is a dirty **********. I hate Horry and the dude really doesnt need another ring.

Honestly I'm still pulling for a 7 game series where Kobe tweaks his ankle and is unable to play in the finals.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I understood your post, right up to the last sentence. I simply cannot root for any player to be injured...ever. Not after that one night in Dallas.

This is the worst series ever. My 2 least favorite teams in the west going at it.

As much as I hate the Lakers, I hate the Spurs more. The entire Lakers hate thing was a rivalry, and since the Kings arnt even in their league (or close to it) anymore I think the rivalry is kinda irrelevant. Dont get me wrong, I still hate them, but its down to a simmer...It wont flare up again until a Kings/Lakers postseason match.

Now the Spurs...Where do I start? Ginobilli flops more then Wade and Martin combined. Duncan whines constantly. Pop was coaching like a chump with all the hack tactics the last couple rounds. Bowen is a dirty **********. I hate Horry and the dude really doesnt need another ring.

Honestly I'm still pulling for a 7 game series where Kobe tweaks his ankle and is unable to play in the finals.
Plus, does Parker need like....more good fortune?

I mean, I think half of the hunger in Africa is just to offset Parker's awesome life.

I am sickened. The gd lakers are going to the Finals, and nobody seems to be bothered except for me, piksi and BMiller52.

This whole place has gone nutty. :mad:
I'm bothered. The thought of the Lakers going to the finals makes me physically ill. It actually makes me so sick, that I can barely watch this series. Right now, it looks like those gd lakers are gonna beat the Spurs, though. *gag...hack...gag*:mad:

I am sickened. The gd lakers are going to the Finals, and nobody seems to be bothered except for me, piksi and BMiller52.

This whole place has gone nutty. :mad:

I agree man it makes me feel like throwing up. I don't even think I'm going to watch game 5 and luckily I fell asleep during most of this game. Watching the lakers win always sucks. The worst part is though when you have family who are laker fans, and you hear how great guys like Turiaf and Vujabic are and that they'd be starters on every other team:rolleyes: Speaking of Vujacic he is the most annoying POS in the NBA, even more than Kobe. Now you are seeing people who are supposedly Kings and Warrior fans get Lakers fever and it really bothers me to be honest. I don't see how someone who is a Kings or Warriors fan(especially Kings, warriors fans are more like bandwagoners lately) could EVER root for LA.

This ish has me considering taking a break from the NBA for a while, I might go watch some old tapes of the kings or some old Jordan games but I dunno if I want to watch the present NBA. If LA gets a lead in the finals I doubt I'll even watch the rest.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
The worst part is though when you have family who are laker fans, and you hear how great guys like Turiaf and Vujabic are and that they'd be starters on every other team:rolleyes: Speaking of Vujacic he is the most annoying POS in the NBA, even more than Kobe.
I would take Vujacic or Turiaf on my team any day. And I was saying that back when Lakers fans were near universal in condemning Sasha as the sole source of all of their woes in recent years. They blamed him for everything up to and inculding global warming. And I wanted us to draft Turiaf.

Now they aren't anybody's starters. But they are perfect benchers with the energy and their scrap, And Vujacic is just a flat out pain in the ***.

Oh yes those poor lakers, always getting screwed by the officials.:rolleyes:

Give me a fricking break, that is some of the most ridiculous crap I've read in a long time. Coming from a fan of the team who was screwed in the infamous game 6 too... disgusting.

Oh yes those poor lakers, always getting screwed by the officials.:rolleyes:

Give me a fricking break, that is some of the most ridiculous crap I've read in a long time. Coming from a fan of the team who was screwed in the infamous game 6 too... disgusting.
I wasn't trying to make the point that the lakers are getting screwed or something, but merely trying to point out the other side. People will look at that last play and say oh that's BS the spurs got screwed so bad, but when you watch the game you realize nearly all the calls up until then were going the spurs way. I'm not complaining, but merely trying to show the whole picture. If you think that I should just ignore what I saw and just automatically take the anti-lakers side because I'm a kings fan then I lose a lot of respect for you. I strive to be as honest and objective as I humanly can, if that's not what you're about fine, but it's what I'm about so don't expect anything else from me.

Last edited:
I wasn't trying to make the point that the lakers are getting screwed or something, but merely trying to point out the other side. People will look at that last play and say oh that's BS the spurs got screwed so bad, but when you watch the game you realize nearly all the calls up until then were going the spurs way. I'm not complaining, but merely trying to show the whole picture. If you think that I should just ignore what I saw and just automatically take the anti-lakers side because I'm a kings fan then I lose a lot of respect for you. I strive to be as honest and objective as I humanly can, if that's not what you're about fine, but it's what I'm about so don't expect anything else from me.

I give up. If you don't get it then there is no point debating it. My point is, I will NEVER EVER have any sympathy for the lakers after what happened in 2002 and what happens 90% of the time we play them(them getting ridiculous calls). I see the lakers get calls 99% of the time I watch them play so I really don't give a damn if for once they don't get all the calls.

You brought up how the Lakers were getting screwed by the refs but that has happened to every single road team in the playoffs. Hell just look at when Gasol shoved Okur out of bounds to get that offensive rebound and wasn't called for anything. The road teams have been getting screwed, wow the Lakers finally had to put up with the types of calls other teams have been getting... big frickin deal.

I give up. If you don't get it then there is no point debating it. My point is, I will NEVER EVER have any sympathy for the lakers after what happened in 2002 and what happens 90% of the time we play them(them getting ridiculous calls). I see the lakers get calls 99% of the time I watch them play so I really don't give a damn if for once they don't get all the calls.

You brought up how the Lakers were getting screwed by the refs but that has happened to every single road team in the playoffs. Hell just look at when Gasol shoved Okur out of bounds to get that offensive rebound and wasn't called for anything. The road teams have been getting screwed, wow the Lakers finally had to put up with the types of calls other teams have been getting... big frickin deal.
Then don't have sympathy, that wasn't my aim anyways. My post was directed at those who were perturbed at the no-call at the end of the game or thought the spurs got screwed, that's it. I was only trying to point out the other side.

I agree with Tim Legler's ESPN analysis. This may have already been discussed, but why didn't Barry jump into Fisher and create contact? Why take a dribble sort of into Fisher before shooting? Once Fisher was up in the air, Barry had the opportunity to draw the foul, but he passed on it by taking the hit while he was dribbling.

My post was directed at those who were perturbed at the no-call at the end of the game or thought the spurs got screwed, that's it.
here's what i don't get, about end of game no-calls specifically. i actually think the refs are fairly consistent in not calling these, but yet they are consistently WRONG. how is this a good/right thing? if you look at the replay last night, fished leaves the ground, comes down with an elbow drop to barry's head, but because barry doesn't flop (crumple to the ground) or do the usual, lame jump into the jumper, he doesn't get the foul call? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.