SAR coming to the Kings discussion (merged)

thesanityannex said:
So you are fine with starting Kenny Thomas!!!
actually, yes.

he is talented and experienced. sure, he's short, but id much rather have a short, quick, kenny thomas than add another bad contract to the list.

no SAR for me.

against kenny thomas? start skinner *shrugs* or how about sampson ;):D. jk.

Yoda said:
Portland had sixteen straight PO apperance until the year SAR showed up.
I mean, take your pick of lineups:

2002-2003:
Dale Davis
Sheed
Pippen
Wells
Anderson

Bench:
Sabonis
Randolph
Stoudemire
Patterson
McInnis

or:

2004-2005
Pryzbilla/Ratliff
Randolph
SAR (out of position)
Anderson
Stoudemire

Bench:
Van Exel
Patterson
Miles
Telfair

It's really not even close, and hardly fair to blame Abdur-Rahim

Last edited:
T

thesanityannex

BobbyJ_for3! said:
actually, yes.

he is talented and experienced. sure, he's short, but id much rather have a short, quick, kenny thomas than add another bad contract to the list.

no SAR for me.

against kenny thomas? start skinner *shrugs* or how about sampson ;):D. jk.
Lets look at them side by side.

SAR >>>>>>>>>>>>>>K.Thomas

In league since '96 >>> In league since '99
19.8 ppg >>> 10.9 ppg
8.1 rpg >>> 7.4 rpg
2.7 apg >>> 1.6 apg
SAR Salary Rank:419 >>> K.Thomas Salary Rank:86
SAR NBA Rank:53 >>> K.Thomas NBA Rank:155

(salary ranks are how many people are paid more than them)

I get the feeling you just don't like SAR because by looking at this, he is CLEARLY BETTER than K.Thomas.

KT is more of a liability at PF than SAR is. IF there was a way to remove KT salary, and sign SAR at a less expensive salary would you do it?

D-Mass said:
For the record, I don't remember anyone saying they hate SAR. There are some people in this forum (me too, to some extent) who simply don't think he meets our needs. That's all. Good player, but unless used to get something else later, he just won't help us get that championship. Let's all take a deep breath and relax...we're just talking about a simple difference of opinion.

Also, remember...we don't even have the guy yet.
Well lets put it this way. Some of the comments made so far by certain individuals kind of toe the line between "hate" and "he just doesn't fit our need".

Gary said:
KT is more of a liability at PF than SAR is. IF there was a way to remove KT salary, and sign SAR at a less expensive salary would you do it?
No. I love the idea of KT coming of the bench. IMO Kenny is a borderline starter/bench player. He could be either. And to have (maybe) starter player being back-up PF could be devistating.

Whats the deal here? Anyone would take SAR over KT even if there was a 1for1 trade with even salaries SAR would be better. If we pick SAR up, you can bet your rear pillows either KT or Skinner are gone. I wonder if its ok to use the one time exception on KT.

I absolutely do not have anything against SAR (actually, he went to Cal, and I have a soft spot for those guys)

Those stats are deff a good argument.

I just don't think he is the answer to our woes.

I don't hve time to look into this, and I probably should know, but wouldn't the contract he would get from us would be larger than what he had before, so the salary rank isnt correct.

I have to go or I'd be happy to go at this with you sanity....maybe later :)

T

thesanityannex

PFFFT!! said:
Whats the deal here? Anyone would take SAR over KT even if there was a 1for1 trade with even salaries SAR would be better. If we pick SAR up, you can bet your rear pillows either KT or Skinner are gone. I wonder if its ok to use the one time exception on KT.
The exception would be interesting to use, don't know if its worth it though, not a salary guru. Rather get some solid bench dudes instead. but an interesting idea.

T

thesanityannex

BobbyJ_for3! said:
I absolutely do not have anything against SAR (actually, he went to Cal, and I have a soft spot for those guys)

I don't hve time to look into this, and I probably should know, but wouldn't the contract he would get from us would be larger than what he had before, so the salary rank isnt correct.

he be getting something like 29 million for five years. k.thomas is 50 million for 7 years.(from philly)

SAR is not the answer, but he is far superior to k.thomas.

PFFFT!! said:
NO, NO, NO!!! For some reason you seem to consistently post that the Kings could or should use the one time exception. Using the one time exception on KT would do the Kings no good. First of all, they would still be on the hook for his entire salary for the entire period of his contract (5 more years) without the possibility of ever, ever getting rid of it. Why use the exception on a guy who is productive and is healthy and can be traded? Not going to happen. Look at those players that have been released under the exception (Anderson, Christie, Grant: all players who have at the most 2+ years left on their contract and all have injury problems). Plus, teams will only use the exception if they are above the salary cap and the Kings are trying to get below it (approx. 61 mill this season). Secondly, if SAR comes aboard that doesn't mean the end of Skinner by any means. I agree that KT may in fact be gone, but I don't think it will be Skinner.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
BobbyJ_for3! said:

Actually the salary he would get from us would be much less than what he was making last year. Probably less than half as much. But probably the salary rank annex used is based on what we are expected to pay him which is about 5 million this year.

Last edited:
T

thesanityannex

hrdboild said:
Actually the salary he would get from us would be much less than what he was making this year. Probably less than half as much.
I think it was around 50 million from N.J., now its looking like 29 million from next suitor.

ForlornKing said:
No. I love the idea of KT coming of the bench. IMO Kenny is a borderline starter/bench player. He could be either. And to have (maybe) starter player being back-up PF could be devistating.
this was brought up before.. KT off the bench making what he makes (salary wise) is not logical. That's too much to pay for a bench player imo.

SacTownKid said:
Well lets put it this way. Some of the comments made so far by certain individuals kind of toe the line between "hate" and "he just doesn't fit our need".
OK...you'd have to find some quotes on that...I don't remember anything that even gets close to HATE. People might criticize his skills and his impact on the teams he's been on, but that doesn't say anything about the guy personally. Saying "I'm not high on SAR" or "SAR has been a loser everywhere he has gone" aren't personal attacks on the guy. Calling him a "loser", in this context, just means that he has never been a part of, or contributed to, a winning organization. I'd say people have been pretty objective and much closer to the "he just doesn't fit our needs" end of the spectrum.

Theoretically, KT coming off the bench is not a bad idea. However, he wants to start and if he doesn't then things could get interesting. Within no time of him coming over in the Webb trade he voiced his concern to the media that he felt that he should be starting over Darius. I'm not sure how he could feel that way if SAR was starting over him, but he wants to start, the team knows it and they also know that if he doesn't he's not going to be a happy camper and could become a malcontent, which is not what this team needs.

hrdboild

Moloch in whom I dream Angels!
Staff member
Just to clarify, Shareef made 13.5 million last year. The Kings are probably going to offer him a contract starting at about 5 million.

hrdboild said:
Just to clarify, Shareef made 13.5 million last year. The Kings are probably going to offer him a contract starting at about 5 million.
Which would be a great deal for a guy that can put up his type of numbers.

Diabeticwonder said:
Theoretically, KT coming off the bench is not a bad idea. However, he wants to start and if he doesn't then things could get interesting. Within no time of him coming over in the Webb trade he voiced his concern to the media that he felt that he should be starting over Darius. I'm not sure how he could feel that way if SAR was starting over him, but he wants to start, the team knows it and they also know that if he doesn't he's not going to be a happy camper and could become a malcontent, which is not what this team needs.
i heard of him voicing his opinion and according to kenny i do think he should start over darius. however i don't think he should start if we acquired rahim or any other force. if i were petrie i'd use him in a trade

Man I just dont get some of you people, I mean please tell me who else out there, that is available, is better than SAR??

And another thing how can some of you criticize a team that has not even had one training camp together and then you say we need a defensive stopper and yes that would help us out alot but one guy isn't going to make our defense better. The only way the Kings are going to be a better defensive team is by all the guys on that roster making a commitment to playing it and so far thats all the players having been talking about this summer and hey thats a start b/c they are already commiting to it so you have to feel good about that.

jay dubb said:
Man I just dont get some of you people, I mean please tell me who else out there, that is available, is better than SAR??

And another thing how can some of you criticize a team that has not even had one training camp together and then you say we need a defensive stopper and yes that would help us out alot but one guy isn't going to make our defense better. The only way the Kings are going to be a better defensive team is by all the guys on that roster making a commitment to playing it and so far thats all the players having been talking about this summer and hey thats a start b/c they are already commiting to it so you have to feel good about that.
Not to mention the Maloofs really taking note about how the D needs to improve this season.

jay dubb said:
Actually I am also interested to see what the answer is to this one. Every one who is against us getting SAR hasn't given us a reasonable and realistic answer to this question.

T

thesanityannex

Čarolija said:
Actually I am also interested to see what the answer is to this one. Every one who is against us getting SAR hasn't given us a reasonable and realistic answer to this question.
Only answers I've heard are "he's soft" and "he doesn't fit the system". Those are really good.

jay dubb said:

Agreed!!! Compare the starting lineup with SAR to the lineup that started at the end of last year and this year's team with Bonzi (instead of Cat) and SAR (instead of KT) is better offensively and defensively. Get them to training camp and let's see what they can do. Bonzi and Peja are in contract years and SAR has a chip on his shoulder so they all have something to prove.

thesanityannex said:
Only answers I've heard are "he's soft" and "he doesn't fit the system". Those are really good.
Soft, maybe. But anyone who thinks SAR doesn't fit our system needs to get their head screwed on tighter. The Kings were drooling all over him because he is the perfect PF for our system, outside of Webber and Garnett. He has all the skills that we need. Say what you will about his toughness or defense, but I think I'll trust Petrie to know when he finds a good fit.