San Antonio vs. Detroit - NBA Finals

Who wins NBA Championship?

• Pistons

Votes: 34 34.7%
  • Spurs

Votes: 64 65.3%

• Total voters
I voted Pistons because I want them to win, and I think it's a good thing that they are starting out the series on the road. They play well in the underdog role, and they have the personnel to compete well with the Spurs, imho. Should be a solid Finals matchup. Might have some low scoring games, but my guess is that at least most of the games will be competitive.

The Lakers were supposed to destroy the Pistons last year... and guess what... the Spurs are supposed to destroy the Pistons this year... and trust me, the players know.

GO DETROIT!

Its #1 defense (pistons) vs #2 defense (spurs).

Detroit = Better Defense
Spurs = Better Offense

And you know what they say... defense wins championships so why not the Pistons? :)

This is the matchup I was hoping for like Frazier and Ali. Toughest matchup for the Spurs between Miami and Detroit and it could go either way imo.

A

AriesMar27

this has the potential of being a very boring series.... unless manu goes off on the pistons... because no one outside of manu is all that exciting.... well, maybe robert horry... lol...

go spurs.... do it for the west.... mutha[Explicit] the rest....

T

thesanityannex

This will be one of the best position on position match ups the Finals has ever seen.

Go Detroit!!

Only because the find the Spurs player to be more annoying than the Pistons.

Plus TMASS SUX!! Not that we will see him play any mins now.

As I am without cable for the time being, I have been unable to watch any of the playoff games on either TNT or ESPN. Now I'll be able to watch the finals on ABC and what do I get? Spurs v Pistons.

Now we can answer the immortal question: what happens when the ultimate molasses meets the immovable tar?

answer: a slow-developing, dreary mess.

Yay.:rolleyes:

...I know, I know. It's a two great defensive teams that play the game the "right" way (whatever the that means?). "Basketball Purists" can now proceed to brow-beat me for my lack of appreciation.

(btw, go spurs)

Last edited:
A

AriesMar27

2 great defensive teams playing for possibly 7 games.... do you know what that means? a lot of missed shots.....cant wait, it'll be like watching soccer... we'll all go crazy when someone finally scores after 3 minutes of amazing scorliss defense... wow....

go spurs.....

Spurs in 5. If it's possible, I think they're better than I originally thought, which was championship-caliber good in the first place.

I still can't believe that Miami isn't going to be in the Finals....that's what I love about basketball...a season full of surprises every year!

twocents said:
i like both teams although their fans are equally nauseating. i will root for the pistons; at least, they are not texans.
nor are they californians, thankfully. just a group of beer-tossing, blue collar midwesterners living just a little too far north.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
If Duncan is healthy, Spurs take it. This will sound odd, but I think this may be the first truly "great" Spurs team -- as in a team able to play both sides of the ball. Their previous champs sort of snuck in ala Detroit last year, played the best defense, but were always vulnerable and shaky because they could go on 5 minute long scoreless droughts. But while its still easy to make all the normal boring Spurs jokes, this current team can actually score on the other end (much credit to Manu especially) and was running around beating Phoenix in shootouts. That's something previous incarantions of the Spurs could never do. Its also what should separate it here from the Pistons. Assuming again that Duncan is healthy -- if he's hobbled and Ben Wallace or Sheed can shut him down one on one, then the Pistons will have their shot.

Bricklayer said:
If Duncan is healthy, Spurs take it. This will sound odd, but I think this may be the first truly "great" Spurs team -- as in a team able to play both sides of the ball. Their previous champs sort of snuck in ala Detroit last year, played the best defense, but were always vulnerable and shaky because they could go on 5 minute long scoreless droughts. But while its still easy to make all the normal boring Spurs jokes, this current team can actually score on the other end (much credit to Manu especially) and was running around beating Phoenix in shootouts. That's something previous incarantions of the Spurs could never do. Its also what should separate it here from the Pistons. Assuming again that Duncan is healthy -- if he's hobbled and Ben Wallace or Sheed can shut him down one on one, then the Pistons will have their shot.
Good point. Manu deserves a huge amount of credit for his improvement. I dont think it only has to do with Duncans health. If he is unhealthy or re-injures himself then I think the Pistons can win the series but I think the X-Factor is Tony Parker. I just dont think he has been consistant enough throughout his post-season career and I think if he struggles, which he may, the Spurs offense could struggle. The Pistons have held their opponents to 10 fewer points this post season than the Spurs have with their opponents. I think it will be a close series and dont think its going anything shorter than 6 but probably 7. I dont think the Pistons will lose a game at home in the Finals and the Spurs might not either so who knows.

I would prefer neither win it all. But between the choices, I dislike the Pistons more than the Spurs. I dislike Brown almost as much as Kobe. It has nothing to do with their abilities but the stupid soap opera that always seem to suround them. Irrational yes, but a lot of dislikes I suppose are.

Go Spurs till next year. (actually till the playoffs are over)

6th

Homer Fan Since 1985
I'm another one who cheers for the West. Besides, I do not like the attitude of the Pistons. I also don't think they are good enough to be a dynasty. One and done is just fine with me.