[Game] Sacramento Kings at Phoenix Suns, 12/8/2023, 6pm Pacific 9pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tyrese Haliburton is a shiny new object for many in the NBA world. He played for Sacramento before playing for Indiana, and they're both small market franchises that most national pundits don't pay attention to during times of famine. Now that Indiana has a winning record, more are taking notice, as was the case with the Kings last season.

I loved the Haliburton pick when Monte drafted him, but I didn't imagine that his trajectory would look anything like this. That surprise factor definitely contributes to the shininess that the media is currently attracted to. Novelty always wins the day when it comes to media exposure, and Tyrese is a great story right now, especially with the recent IST victories under his belt. But is he a long-term winner? Are the Pacers real playoff contenders? I suppose we'll see. Somehow, Indy's an even worse defensive team than the Kings were last season. And that's a Rick Carlisle-coached team with a backline center known for his defense, so I'm unsure of what to make of the intensity of their regression on that side of the ball.

All I know is this: in the 4th quarter of a close game, I want the guy who wants to be the guy. I want De'Aaron Fox. I understand why our advanced stats overlords love Haliburton. He's a player who is wholly reflective of the modern Moneyball'd NBA. But year after year, when the playoffs roll around, we see so many efficiencies of the regular season erode under the pressures of postseason basketball, and we see big time players step up to deliver victories for their teams. Fox is that guy. Is Haliburton? Maybe. He could be. But I don't see a killer when I watch him play. Not yet. He's a great story, as is the Pacers' rise up the standings. But I'm gonna be as skeptical of their recent success as I was of the Kings' success last season. The NBA is oft host to mirages that can span 20 games or more. I want to see what the Pacers look like in March before I take them seriously.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
Tyrese Haliburton is a shiny new object for many in the NBA world. He played for Sacramento before playing for Indiana, and they're both small market franchises that most national pundits don't pay attention to during times of famine. Now that Indiana has a winning record, more are taking notice, as was the case with the Kings last season.
This portion of your post makes me wonder how much of Halimania™ can be attributed to the Pacers playing in the Central time zone?

Thank you.

There is some interesting human psychology going on when people evaluate the trade. Here's what doesn't count: how good Haliburton is now. It has nothing to do with how good the trade was for us.

You have to strictly evaluate how the team has performed before vs. after the trade (even then there are other variables). It was a FANTASTIC trade for us. Not even just good. It was one of the best trades in Sacramento Kings history. None of what is happening now happens without that trade.
Period.

This team is very inconsistent. The fact that a depleted Suns can have their way in the 1st Half show the Kings defense can be vulnerable to any team. There is a lack of aggression sometimes just going through the motion. Sabonis' defense can leave a lot to desire...him giving up layups are way to easy. Players are probably down after getting eliminated from In-Season Tournament but they need to pick themselves up and play much better than tonight if they want to compete against the better teams. I was so disgust by the way they play defense in the 1st Half that I quit watching. It's too easy for any team to score on them.

They need to do some trade to improve the team defense there is no way around it. The same starting lineup isn't going to make the team better defensively. I seen enough! It puts too much pressure on everyone be on alert due to guys inability to guard one-on-one.

With the current lineup, Kings can win with luck and pray on other teams not making shots because we know they don't play great D. There's just too many holes....it's inconsistent. They can win by shooting the lights out or praying other team missing shots if they struggled. But to be a great, you can't depend on others misfortune for your success, it will come back to bite you eventually.
You aren't wrong, but, every team in the league goes through this when playing a depleted team at times. They have some bad habits, but they play up to the competition and that matters more than anything when the games really matter come playoff time.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
You aren't wrong, but, every team in the league goes through this when playing a depleted team at times. They have some bad habits, but they play up to the competition and that matters more than anything when the games really matter come playoff time.
Indeed. Keep in mind that, yeah, without Durant and Beal, this was a game that the Kings should have won by more than they did but, it's also a game that previous Kings teams would have lost outright. That growth should not go unacknowledged.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
OK.

Look.

No disrespect to Doug and no disrespect to Mike Brown but...

If it took Doug to tell Brown that the High Horns was absolutely ****ing devastating to opposing defenses and maybe...I dunno...try it again, then if I ever see Mike Brown in public I'm going to have to grab him by the shoulders and give him a shake and ask him why he couldn't see that. I'm a ****ing idiot, and it was obvious. Coach, bro, stick with me here...

OK.

Look.

No disrespect to Doug and no disrespect to Mike Brown but...

If it took Doug to tell Brown that the High Horns was absolutely ****ing devastating to opposing defenses and maybe...I dunno...try it again, then if I ever see Mike Brown in public I'm going to have to grab him by the shoulders and give him a shake and ask him why he couldn't see that. I'm a ****ing idiot, and it was obvious. Coach, bro, stick with me here...
Sure, but this is kinda why head coaches have lead assistants and large staffs in the first place, right? A head coach has to take such a widescreen view of each game and each season that it shouldn't be so surprising to see even great head coaches missing the occasional detail or adjustment that could deliver victory. And they're so embattled during a long and competitive season that I'm sure it's difficult to know who's voice to trust beyond the one inside your head. Steve Kerr is being savaged by the media currently for failing to make what many view as obvious changes to the Warriors' rotation. I'm guessing he misses having Mike Brown on his staff to some degree.

But if Brown is confident enough in his staff here in Sacramento to allow them space to thrive in their respective roles and as advisors, so much the better.

Sure, but this is kinda why head coaches have lead assistants and large staffs in the first place, right? A head coach has to take such a widescreen view of each game and each season that it shouldn't be so surprising to see even great head coaches missing the occasional detail or adjustment that could deliver victory. And they're so embattled during a long and competitive season that I'm sure it's difficult to know who's voice to trust beyond the one inside your head. Steve Kerr is being savaged by the media currently for failing to make what many view as obvious changes to the Warriors' rotation. I'm guessing he misses having Mike Brown on his staff to some degree.

But if Brown is confident enough in his staff here in Sacramento to allow them space to thrive in their respective roles and as advisors, so much the better.
And he could be overstating things a bit to boost up his guys. It's not often assistant coaches are called by name in the press for anything significant outside of the lead assistant every now and then. Coach Brown seems like a very gracious person

i am not the biggest fan of Brown , but prizing every in the team from time to time , is the best move from a clever coach ... As far as everyone at the team is in good spirit and motivated to do his job , the team will go only up , in my opinion ...

Guys ,
What are the expectations for Broklyn game ?
I was myabe in mistake to think that it will be not that difficult game , but i see now that they are 6 out 7 in last games , as well in last 10 H2H they are leading by far 7-3 ... ??

Status
Not open for further replies.