• Both / Fair Trade

• SAC by a little

• SAC

• SAC by a lot

• Neither

Results are only viewable after voting.
HOU Gets: Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley, #9, & #39
HOU Gives: Christian Wood, DJ Augustin, Avery Bradley, & Danuel House
Why for HOU? The Rockets are obviously rebuilding so they sell high on Wood and pick up a lottery pick, an early 2nd, and a flyer on Bagley. They may look to flip Hield down the road for another asset if he can recoup some value. He'll have Wall next to him who will hopefully give him some good looks

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SAC Gets: Christian Wood, DJ Augustin, Avery Bradley, & Danuel House
SAC Gives: Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley, #9, & #39
Why for SAC? If Vivek is set on wanting to win now and make the playoffs, this might be a trade that helps get them there. Wood gives them a solid talent in the front court who is versatile, long, athletic, and can score, shoot, & defend. He's also only 25 so he can grow with Fox & Haliburton. Bradley gives us a 3&D SG off the bench and House gives us a lower level, 3&D SF who can come off the bench. Augustin would give us deep bench depth at PG.

The big thing to keep in mind is that this would also free up about $40.5 mil in cap space for the 2022 offseason with Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, Wood, Metu, Ramsey, & Woodard still under contract. We could potentially add a big time free agent to round out the core (Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, & Wood). Guys like Durant, Butler, Harden, Beal, LaVine, Smart, Prince, Warren, Covington, A. Gordon, Mik. Bridges, Mil. Bridges, M. Porter, Jar. Jackson, Ayton, Bamba, W. Carter, and Bol Bol will all be free agents that offseason.

Last edited:
Man, this is just selling too low on Buddy and Bagley. I get they don't have a ton of value, but I'm not attaching them with the #9 just to get Wood. I'd rather just flip 9 for Wood, which seems fairish value and really try to load up for a playoff push over the next few seasons if we're gonna sell the lotto pick.

The other issue with Wood is you only have 2 years of his rights before he gets to hit UFA. So you essentially trade all our tradeable capital for a guy who can just bail in 2 years.

Man, this is just selling too low on Buddy and Bagley. I get they don't have a ton of value, but I'm not attaching them with the #9 just to get Wood. I'd rather just flip 9 for Wood, which seems fairish value and really try to load up for a playoff push over the next few seasons if we're gonna sell the lotto pick.

The other issue with Wood is you only have 2 years of his rights before he gets to hit UFA. So you essentially trade all our tradeable capital for a guy who can just bail in 2 years.
Yeah all fair critique. I do like the idea of ‘shooting our shot’ during the 2022 offseason. You’ll have…
  • Fox = $30 mil
  • Barnes = $18 mil
  • Wood = $14 mil
  • Haliburton = $4 mil
  • Metu = $1.9 mil
  • Ramsey = $1.8 mil
  • Woodard = $1.8 mil
  • 2021 1st round = ~$2 mil
  • 2022 1st round = ~$2 mil
…and the ability to add a max player (or a less than max impactful player). Then we have bird rights to keep Wood and Barnes in the 2023 offseason.

We wouldn’t be able to do that if we retain Bagley and Hield.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Usually you put a lot of thought into your trade proposals but I have no idea what you are thinking here. The Kings aren't even getting pennies on the dollar here. You're throwing away three major assets in Bagley, Buddy, and #9 for the hopes that a one-and-half-year flash of Christian Wood (leading his teams to a collective .268 winning percentage) is real and the hope that the Kings can sign a big-time free agent, something that they've literally never done.

If the Kings make this trade, the stands at G1C will be emptier next season than they were this one. This has perpetual tank written all over it.

Usually you put a lot of thought into your trade proposals but I have no idea what you are thinking here. The Kings aren't even getting pennies on the dollar here. You're throwing away three major assets in Bagley, Buddy, and #9 for the hopes that a one-and-half-year flash of Christian Wood (leading his teams to a collective .268 winning percentage) is real and the hope that the Kings can sign a big-time free agent, something that they've literally never done.

If the Kings make this trade, the stands at G1C will be emptier next season than they were this one. This has perpetual tank written all over it.
We’ll I have #9 as the only truly positive asset. Bagley and #39 are maybe on similar levels at this point from a value standpoint. And I have Hield as a negative with his contract.

Wood has some pretty impressive advanced impact stats, fills a need, complements the core, and is only 25. Then on top of that you’re getting some massive cap flexibility for that 2022 offseason.

We’ll I have #9 as the only truly positive asset. Bagley and #39 are maybe on similar levels at this point from a value standpoint. And I have Hield as a negative with his contract.

Wood has some pretty impressive advanced impact stats, fills a need, complements the core, and is only 25. Then on top of that you’re getting some massive cap flexibility for that 2022 offseason.
This is just underrating Buddy imo. A bunch of the Kings Herald guys are in a similar boat where they'd be happy to just cap dump Buddy, but he's a more valuable player/piece than that. Considering the price shooters went for last year (Harris/Bertans), there should some sort of late round 1st round pick type value from a contender along with a contract. Just straight dumping him and Bagley (which essentially this trade is) is just a mistake and we should just keep them if that's their market value.

Wood is a great player, but this trade doesn't really accomplish much. You're trading our best future asset (pick 9) for a win-now asset (Wood), but are also trading 2 of our top 7 players for "win-now" in Bagley and Hield.

this kind of short term thinking is why the Kings have not made the playoffs in 19 years. With the Maloofs it was because the wanted quick revenue then sell. Vivek is just impatient and incompetent.

I think many value Hield & Bagley much higher than I do which is creating this disparity.

Below are some advanced impact stats from the 2019-20 season, 2020-21 season, and an average between the two seasons:

LEBRON (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +2.46 / +1.22 / +1.84
Hield
= -0.58 / +0.31 / -0.14
Bagley
= -0.90 / -0.33 / -0.62

RPM (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +3.30 / +3.14 / +3.22
Hield
= +0.30 / +2.26 / +1.28
Bagley
= -2.00 / -0.64 / -1.32

RAPTOR (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +4.53 / +2.51 / +3.52
Hield
= +0.13 / +0.34 / +0.24
Bagley
= -4.31 / -2.62 / -3.47

LA-RAPM (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +1.46 / -0.14 / +0.66
Hield
= -0.06 / +0.13 / +0.04
Bagley
= -0.99 / -0.03 / -0.51

BPM (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +3.10 / +1.40 / +2.25
Hield
= +1.40 / -0.80 / +0.30
Bagley
= -3.40 / -3.40 / -3.40

Looking at these stats, there's no question we're getting the more impactful player out of the deal. The #9 helps balance that scale, but we're also getting cap flexibility. Is a core of Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, Wood, Woodard, Ramsey, 2021 SAC 1st, & 2022 SAC 1st enough to attract a max/significant free agent? If the team takes another step next season with a lineup of...

PG - Fox / Wright / Augustin
SG - Haliburton / Bradley / Ramsey
SF - House / James
PF - Barnes / Woodard
C - Wood / Metu / Jones

...who knows. maybe it's enticing enough...

(Personally, I'd like to sell off the vets and accumulate assets around Fox, Haliburton, & #9, but if Vivek wants to win now, this might be something that doesn't make me throw up ALL of my dinner)

Trading for Wood is like some team trading for Mikki Moore when Mikki was with the Kings. SMH
Career per36 stats for both guys:

Wood: .240 USG% / .615 TS% / .531 FG% / .371 3PT% / .695 FT% / 22.1 PPG / 10.7 RPG / 1.6 APG / 0.9 SPG / 1.4 BPG / 2.2 TOPG / 2.6 FPG
Moore: .144 USG% / .597 TS% / .551 FG% / .154 3PT% / .743 FT% / 11.4 PPG / 7.7 RPG / 1.4 APG / 0.6 SPG / 1.1 BPG / 1.9 TOPG / 5.4 FPG

If you're not a fan of the trade, that's fine, but we can avoid making comparisons like this.

Lol uhhh.. no. Just no.

I think Wood is about the level of talent we should be looking at if we were to trade 9 for a vet to "win now". Wood, Turner, Brogdon. Someone in that vein.
he is a reasonably realistic target given our tradable assets. I doubt Houston is even willing to move him though.

If we lose Holmes it’s going to be hard to be in win now mode next season unless we flip the pick for a guy like him or better.

he is a reasonably realistic target given our tradable assets. I doubt Houston is even willing to move him though.

If we lose Holmes it’s going to be hard to be in win now mode next season unless we flip the pick for a guy like him or better.
Yeah it’s more likely they convet him and his reasonably priced contract more than we think and the trade actually still is not enough in Houston’s mind

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
This is probably not the right crowd for this type of trade proposal. Fan boards are notoriously biased for an obvious reason -- we all watch mostly Kings games and there are fans here who want to dump Buddy/Bagley at the first opportunity and other fans who think Bagley is part of the core. You'd probably get a more objective take on RealGM or something.

For my part, I do think Christian Wood's breakout season was legit but that's also why Houston isn't trading him. He's the guy they're building around now. If they did want to move him, Bagley, Hield, and #9 doesn't make a lot of sense for them. They get another lotto pick in this trade, sure, and the draft is deep this year but Buddy isn't a building block he's a guy you add to your rotation if you need a shooter and Bagley is a huge question mark with a looming extension on the horizon.

I also would have to question if this is the best use of assets for our team. It's not highway robbery or anything, but you're putting a lot of eggs in the same basket and best-case scenario here I don't think Wood alone lifts us out of late lotto purgatory. It'd be a lateral move with little long-term upside. That #9 pick alone is a four year guaranteed deal at rookie scale and while I do think we need to trade Buddy and probably Barnes as well, you have to admit that any deal involving Bagley right now would be selling very very low. We are sortof pushed into a corner on Bagley's rookie contract expiring in a year but there's hope that he'll play well in a contract year and at least raise his value before the trade deadline.

I don't hate it from our perspective, but I think you get a pass from Houston on this regardless. And I'd be more excited at the prospect of "going for it" next season with a rotation built around Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, and Wood if we didn't already have word that Luke Walton will be our coach. I think we'd just be setting ourselves up for more disappointment. Better to keep the lotto pick, move Buddy and Barnes when we can and prepare ourselves for another rebuild, hopefully with more defense this time.

HOU Gets: Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley, #9, & #39
HOU Gives: Christian Wood, DJ Augustin, Avery Bradley, & Danuel House

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SAC Gets: Christian Wood, DJ Augustin, Avery Bradley, & Danuel House
SAC Gives: Buddy Hield, Marvin Bagley, #9, & #39
I'd do it and I see it as a no-brainer for the Kings. They get rid of Hield, dump Bagley on to some one else, and a #9 that would net a role-player for an absolute stud in Woods.

First of all, Woods have been killing it as a rotation player. The only question was, "Can he keep it up as a starter?" He answered that this season. He is a legit franchise cornerstone. If the Kings have Woods, two main questions would have been solved - 1) who is the 2nd star of this team and 2) who is the starting big for the next 7 years.

Second, if there is a trade market for Hield, he'd have been gone already. No team wants him. The late first pick is a fantasy.

Third, I'm still rooting for Bagley and believe he can still turn into a good player, but he is no Christian Woods. Woods can defend, Bagley is still learning. You can argue the Kings are selling low on Bagley.... but I'd argue if Bagley can be part of a package to get you Christian Woods, it's not selling low.

Fourth, the #9 pick would net the Kings maybe a Franz Wagner, Moses Moody, Corey Kispert? I believe all of them will be good solid role players but I don't see any star to be had at that spot. So, the Kings would be trading an untradeable player, a oft-injured young but flawed player with potential, and a future rotation player, and a 2nd round pick... for a genuine franchise cornerstone.

That's a trade I'd take any day of the week. I don't see why the Rockets would do it.

This was Wood's 6th stop in the NBA over 5 seasons.

I feel like this is somewhat noteworthy when we discuss moving Bagley. Who we at least maintain a fairly high level of control over for the foreseeable future. Yes he has been disappointing when viewed as a 2nd overall pick and the opportunity cost of not selecting a different player. He's also 3.5 years younger than Wood.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
You dont trade for Woods, you try to find the next one and sign them.
The Kings kind of did with Holmes. Now they have to pay the piper or let him leave. Woods types aren't franchise talent so it's always going to be fit and usage therefor the team that has them last is the one that lucks out if they use them right. Then if it was nothing more than numbers and a flash you are stuck with a big contract that doesn't pay off in wins or in trade value.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer
This was Wood's 6th stop in the NBA over 5 seasons.

I feel like this is somewhat noteworthy when we discuss moving Bagley. Who we at least maintain a fairly high level of control over for the foreseeable future. Yes he has been disappointing when viewed as a 2nd overall pick and the opportunity cost of not selecting a different player. He's also 3.5 years younger than Wood.
Use Bagley right and those numbers don't look so bad and at the very least trade value may have existed to some degree. The Kings have a sliver of light left before that comes back as one of the biggest blunders in franchise history.

Use Bagley right and those numbers don't look so bad and at the very least trade value may have existed to some degree. The Kings have a sliver of light left before that comes back as one of the biggest blunders in franchise history.
If we lose Holmes at least we can maybe go full on sink or swim with Bagley in his evaluation/contract year.

I do think Holmes and Woods show that there are good values to be had when it comes to finding big men at a discount around the league. Get hungry guys coming off rookie contracts or who may have 3-4 years of journeyman service under their belts onto 2 year prove it deals (best to get a 3rd year option if possible to boot). As long as they are serviceable and work hard they are going to look great if you keep them under the MLE.

I think many value Hield & Bagley much higher than I do which is creating this disparity.

Below are some advanced impact stats from the 2019-20 season, 2020-21 season, and an average between the two seasons:

LEBRON (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +2.46 / +1.22 / +1.84
Hield
= -0.58 / +0.31 / -0.14
Bagley
= -0.90 / -0.33 / -0.62

RPM (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +3.30 / +3.14 / +3.22
Hield
= +0.30 / +2.26 / +1.28
Bagley
= -2.00 / -0.64 / -1.32

RAPTOR (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +4.53 / +2.51 / +3.52
Hield
= +0.13 / +0.34 / +0.24
Bagley
= -4.31 / -2.62 / -3.47

LA-RAPM (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +1.46 / -0.14 / +0.66
Hield
= -0.06 / +0.13 / +0.04
Bagley
= -0.99 / -0.03 / -0.51

BPM (2019-20 / 2020-21 / Average)
Wood = +3.10 / +1.40 / +2.25
Hield
= +1.40 / -0.80 / +0.30
Bagley
= -3.40 / -3.40 / -3.40

Looking at these stats, there's no question we're getting the more impactful player out of the deal. The #9 helps balance that scale, but we're also getting cap flexibility. Is a core of Fox, Haliburton, Barnes, Wood, Woodard, Ramsey, 2021 SAC 1st, & 2022 SAC 1st enough to attract a max/significant free agent? If the team takes another step next season with a lineup of...

PG - Fox / Wright / Augustin
SG - Haliburton / Bradley / Ramsey
SF - House / James
PF - Barnes / Woodard
C - Wood / Metu / Jones

...who knows. maybe it's enticing enough...

(Personally, I'd like to sell off the vets and accumulate assets around Fox, Haliburton, & #9, but if Vivek wants to win now, this might be something that doesn't make me throw up ALL of my dinner)
How do Holmes' stats compare to Wood's here? I think that's the main question since they play the same position. There's no question that he's better than Hield and Bagley but if he's not that much better than the man he's replacing, then there's no reason to give up nearly that much to get him.

I can see some of the logic here. Christian Wood is 25 years old, he is on a reasonable contract that matches his production, and he can impact games defensively. Although Buddy provides great spacing, his defense is not good and when considering his overall on court impact he is probably over payed. Moving him means we could start Tyrese without worrying about the pending tantrums. MBIII was a number two pick, but has not found consistency or a clear role with the Kings, he has not shown he can stay on the court for a season, and a vocal portion of the fans despise him/ resent him. But overall I think we would give up too much. Wood hasn't done that much on the court. Buddy's spacing is elite and would benefit several good teams. We could sell low on MBIII - or we could just see how he does next year. It's not impossible that he continues to improve and increases his value. And the draft pick could become an affordable playoff quality starter in a year or two. I think a straight MBIII for Wood swap is something you have to think a bit harder about and could be a yes for us but is not necessarily a no brainer.

Last edited: