Rudy Gay Plans To Opt Out (ESPN)

bajaden

Hall of Famer
I guess I'm still pissed cause he cost us the Bulls game after the 20 something point comeback. I was in the 8th row for that one.

But largely I agree. Not a miss.

So what you're saying is Vlade has had virtually zero misses when it comes to FA signings and draft picks?

Huh.
Well, not sure whose fault it was, but I don't think the Bellineli signing worked out very well, and I think Afflalo played fairly well, but I don't think he was a great fit. I think when you see what we got out of Rondo, and then Lawson, and the money we paid them, he looks like a genius.

Exactly.

I overstated my point to induce a response like this, to prove that Vlade is indeed a fantastic GM.

These were his "worst" moves.

Vlade has been nothing but a success since he got here. Of course the jury is still out on the Cousins trade, but his other moves have been good to great.

Edit: Turning Belinelli into Malachi is his most underrated move. Basically he made a potential future borderline all-star appear out of a magic hat. Malachi is very much the real deal, and has a long future in this league as a solid rotation player if not starter on a competitive team. I see him as our future starting 2 guard, and if we keep Ben, Ben being our 6th/7th man, flash scoring off the bench. Malachi is too smart and complete of a player to come off the bench, where as I think Ben would thrive with that lower pressure role, as long as his minutes were consistent.
potential future borderline all-star? That's a massive burden you put onto Malachi with those expectations. When it's all said and done, we are looking at a very young man, who played 22 games, shot 28% from 3 and 41% overall, scoring 3.6 PPG and who played with maximum effort in the limited minutes he was given.
That's his contribution so far in terms of results. Nothing there screams future all-star.

Now I know - stats aren't everything and Malachi showed some nice jab steps and escape dribbles and played with effort on D, but I will say one thing - you give an NBA level talent a certain amount of opportunity to show his skills and encourage him not to be a mere bystander on the court, who only plays a certain role and you will always see flashes of skill with every NBA level player. All those guys are extremely talented basketball players. That's doesn't mean all of them are going to be all-stars.

Why not take the wait and see approach with the young guys? Why put steep expectations on them, only to try to paint the body of work of Vlade Divac in a positive way?
To me it's more reasonable to wait what happens, when teams actually start gameplanning for our young guns. The moment, when players begin to draw double teams and the way they handle that, is usually the moment, when I make my mind about things like all-star potential. And most young players never get to that point.

You really think he gave 100% every night? One of the main reasons I am happy we are most likely finally parting ways with Rudy is because of the effort he gave. Sure when it came to offense he pulled out all of the stops, but he rarely ever tried on the defensive end and he was a horrible motivator for the team. He reminded me of Jay Cutler in that he never really cared if the team was winning or losing. That's what I like so much about Garrett Temple. He really seems to care about the outcome of the game and having the back of all of his team mates. I never really got that impression from Rudy Gay.
Excactly. The one thing I never understand, is why people think Rudy is a great guy to have around. It must be, because he is well spoken and charismatic in interviews. Other than that, I pretty much have no idea.

When the narrative of DMC as bad teammate was formed, an incident that was brought up to prove it, was the prank he pulled on Stauskas. That together with a reported incident in a plane also involving Stauskas was used to badmouth DMC. Guess who was part of the prank? Role model teammate Rudy Gay...

It was DMC showing up at Summerleague to support the rookies. It was DMC getting in touch with Joerger right after his introductional press conference. It's DMC encouraging the young guys even after the team has traded him. It's DMC who Stauskas thanked for his help and advice after getting traded. But somehow this guy is the reason of the bad culture of the Kings, while Rudy Gay is a guy, who we should keep around.

It feels some people confuse good teammate and good culture with their desire for political correctness. Rudy Gay is a smart business man and knows how to promote himself.
At best Rudy is a neutral influence, when it comes to team culture and leadership.
The one veteran guy, who should be pretty much untouchable is Temple, who was mentioned by every rookie as the biggest influence and help for them. To a lesser degree Tolliver and Koufos are also important for the same reasons.

potential future borderline all-star? That's a massive burden you put onto Malachi with those expectations. When it's all said and done, we are looking at a very young man, who played 22 games, shot 28% from 3 and 41% overall, scoring 3.6 PPG and who played with maximum effort in the limited minutes he was given.
That's his contribution so far in terms of results. Nothing there screams future all-star.

Now I know - stats aren't everything and Malachi showed some nice jab steps and escape dribbles and played with effort on D, but I will say one thing - you give an NBA level talent a certain amount of opportunity to show his skills and encourage him not to be a mere bystander on the court, who only plays a certain role and you will always see flashes of skill with every NBA level player. All those guys are extremely talented basketball players. That's doesn't mean all of them are going to be all-stars.

Why not take the wait and see approach with the young guys? Why put steep expectations on them, only to try to paint the body of work of Vlade Divac in a positive way?
To me it's more reasonable to wait what happens, when teams actually start gameplanning for our young guns. The moment, when players begin to draw double teams and the way they handle that, is usually the moment, when I make my mind about things like all-star potential. And most young players never get to that point.
Malachi showed more than you give him credit for, but I agree with your main point about keeping expectations in check for the youngsters and taking a bit of a wait and see approach. That's prudent.

Couldn't agree more. Too soon, and too little evidence to be making these kind of projections. Honestly, given our glut of SGs, likelihood of Buddy being the first option at that spot, and need to spend some money to get to the minimum, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not even on the roster soon.

Before people jump on me, I'm not advocating it. Just suggesting that if Bogdan comes over, we'll have Buddy, Bogdan, and GT, all playing that position, not to mention, Galloway (and possibly, even Ben, if we retain him with a qualifying offer in the hope of getting something useful for him later). Where exactly will the minutes come from? We'll probably be active in the trade market, hoping to fill the bigger holes at PG and SF (even if we draft there, you have to provide kids with some mentors and buffer). Trading some of our glut of SGs will obviously be something we'll be forced to think, whether we like it or not.

Finally, to give some perspective, Reke ended his rookie season with 20/5/5, way above Malachi's numbers. While his career has been impacted by injuries, so it's not a fair comparison, but he could probably be classified as a borderline all star, and even that would be stretching things. Malachi has to prove a lot before being projected thus.

Couldn't agree more. Too soon, and too little evidence to be making these kind of projections. Honestly, given our glut of SGs, likelihood of Buddy being the first option at that spot, and need to spend some money to get to the minimum, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not even on the roster soon.

Before people jump on me, I'm not advocating it. Just suggesting that if Bogdan comes over, we'll have Buddy, Bogdan, and GT, all playing that position, not to mention, Galloway (and possibly, even Ben, if we retain him with a qualifying offer in the hope of getting something useful for him later). Where exactly will the minutes come from? We'll probably be active in the trade market, hoping to fill the bigger holes at PG and SF (even if we draft there, you have to provide kids with some mentors and buffer). Trading some of our glut of SGs will obviously be something we'll be forced to think, whether we like it or not.

Finally, to give some perspective, Reke ended his rookie season with 20/5/5, way above Malachi's numbers. While his career has been impacted by injuries, so it's not a fair comparison, but he could probably be classified as a borderline all star, and even that would be stretching things. Malachi has to prove a lot before being projected thus.
Temple can play SF just as well as SG. He may only be 6'6, but he's an honest 6'6 and he's long. There aren't many SFs who will have an advantage over him as a defender. He's not a long-term solution at that spot, but he should have it locked down until one of this year's rookies is ready to make his move. Hopefully.
Ben did improve in the second half of the season (finally!), so I wouldn't be disappointed to see him come back. But I'm also not hoping for it. As you say, we've got a glut at the SG position, even if we slot Temple in as our SF. Perhaps Malachi or Bogdan can give us some quality minutes at SF, if they're not overwhelmed by power or length. One can hope, right? Because there's just too much potential between Buddy, Malachi and Bogdan to have them all fighting over SG minutes.

Does anybody think it's possible that Vlade/Perry/Cantanella made it very clear to Rudy that he wasn't in their immediate or future plans and that helped sway this decision? If he knows he won't be a focal point of the offense, it would make sense to opt out and try to go elsewhere for likely a lesser contract. Otherwise, it seems like a pretty big risk to opt out of 13-14M while coming back from the type of surgery he just had at 30 years of age.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Does anybody think it's possible that Vlade/Perry/Cantanella made it very clear to Rudy that he wasn't in their immediate or future plans and that helped sway this decision? If he knows he won't be a focal point of the offense, it would make sense to opt out and try to go elsewhere for likely a lesser contract. Otherwise, it seems like a pretty big risk to opt out of 13-14M while coming back from the type of surgery he just had at 30 years of age.
Anything is possible, but I doubt it. I think it has more to do with seeing a guy like Wes Matthews score a big deal a few years ago also coming off an Achilles tear that led Rudy to believe he could do just as well for himself somewhere else (and on top of that not be in a rebuilding situation).

I kinda think Rudy is snubbing Kings and not the other way around although it could be WAY off. And not like he's being a dick about it... but I don't know if it's not as simple as "what you mean I can get out of Sacramento???? umm.... ok".

Rudy was looking for the exit door as soon as Mike Malone got fired (i.e. as soon as Rudy signed the extension and then his coach got fired shortly after that). I highly doubt that the front office had a great deal to do with his decision to opt out.

Rudy would have looked at Matthews getting a monster deal coming of the same injury and realized that he is still a good chance for a big pay day and possibly on a team that will be in the play offs. Why would he stick around with a franchise that can't get out of its own way?!

Anything is possible, but I doubt it. I think it has more to do with seeing a guy like Wes Matthews score a big deal a few years ago also coming off an Achilles tear that led Rudy to believe he could do just as well for himself somewhere else (and on top of that not be in a rebuilding situation).
This is likely going to be Rudy's last multi-year deal. Sure, if he came back strong for the Kings he could potentially earn a richer contract but the odds are better that he comes back as a shadow of himself and handicaps his earning potential.

It may turn out that teams stay away from him on free agency this summer but I think the odds are better that this is a prudent move on Rudy's part.

Rudy could sign a hypothetical 6m per year for 3 years contract and still come out ahead over his 14m option with us. Rudy has always struck me as looking out for #1 first and foremost. Not that I blame him.

I also would not be shocked if we did offer him a contract. Not that I am advocating that, but Vlade and Joerger at least gave that impression at seasons end.

Excactly. The one thing I never understand, is why people think Rudy is a great guy to have around. It must be, because he is well spoken and charismatic in interviews. Other than that, I pretty much have no idea.

When the narrative of DMC as bad teammate was formed, an incident that was brought up to prove it, was the prank he pulled on Stauskas. That together with a reported incident in a plane also involving Stauskas was used to badmouth DMC. Guess who was part of the prank? Role model teammate Rudy Gay...

It was DMC showing up at Summerleague to support the rookies. It was DMC getting in touch with Joerger right after his introductional press conference. It's DMC encouraging the young guys even after the team has traded him. It's DMC who Stauskas thanked for his help and advice after getting traded. But somehow this guy is the reason of the bad culture of the Kings, while Rudy Gay is a guy, who we should keep around.

It feels some people confuse good teammate and good culture with their desire for political correctness. Rudy Gay is a smart business man and knows how to promote himself.
At best Rudy is a neutral influence, when it comes to team culture and leadership.
The one veteran guy, who should be pretty much untouchable is Temple, who was mentioned by every rookie as the biggest influence and help for them. To a lesser degree Tolliver and Koufos are also important for the same reasons.
IT was the only real leader on our most recent teams. Cuz was a disaster on the court. Rudy I can't say one way or the other I don't know much about his behavior. But I never saw the leadership doesn't mean he wasn't a leader behind closed doors

@Capt. Factorial

Thats was kind of my point. I have seen fans say it is a mistake leaving 14m on the table. However what if there is another set back this season? He could very well be done if that happens or if he is a shell of his former self. A larger overall contract rather than one year at 14m is a safeguard.

The potential missed opportunity for Rudy would be if instead he played out the optional year, looked better than expected, and could then look for a much more lucrative contract as a last big payday.

Always liked Rudy Gay since UConn(Even though the game I most remember is the one where Steve Novak went ballistic on them), I thought he shoud've been the 2nd pick in that draft behind LaMarcus Aldridge. I think a lot of the shade thrown towards him during his NBA career is a bit overblown and due to being in some less than ideal situations, part of which was onset by a bloated contract..

I wouldn't be surprised if he gets like $15MM a year, and I wouldn't complain if the Kings gave it to him. That being said there are other options at other pricepoints I'd consider first, I'd rather pay Danilo Gallinari upwards of $20MM and I'd rather give Joe Ingles starter $$$ to name 2.

I think that Rudy's athleticism is probably a good match here, especially if De'Aaron Fox is the pick, best thing for Rudy's game is to get out and run and Fox is built for running and causing those situations b y forcing turnovers, there's other players here who will benefit from that style of play, especially WCS.

If the Cavs land PG or JB via trade and then add Rudy as another 6'8" wing off the bench for the vet minimum, they really might have something for GSW next postseason. As it was, despite getting blown out the 1st two games, they were likely a Kyle Korver made 3 away from a 2-2 series and played GSW tough in GM5. Might have extended it to 7 after coming home. Adding PG or JB and Rudy would certainly improve their abilities to switch on defense.

Say what you want about the Warriors superteam, but if the Cavs get Gay on the veteran minimum, it will be a travesty for the NBA. At least the Warriors had to make room to sign Durant while the Cavs are going to get Gay for free basically.

Say what you want about the Warriors superteam, but if the Cavs get Gay on the veteran minimum, it will be a travesty for the NBA. At least the Warriors had to make room to sign Durant while the Cavs are going to get Gay for free basically.
Rudy Gay is not even an all-star and will likely be even further down now with the injury. He may be a piece to the puzzle for the Cavs but he's not a special player.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Rudy on a minimum contract coming off the bench for Cav's would be a pretty good get. He may not be special but off the bench, assuming he can do his usual thing, that is a damn good bench guy. I mean Shawn Livingston isn't special, but off the bench for GSW, he's pretty dang good.