Rudy Gay Plans To Opt Out (ESPN)

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
This is what I think the roster should look like on July 1st, heading into the free agency season.

1. Koufos
2. WCS
3. Papagiannis
4. Labissiere
5. Tolliver
6. Temple
7. Hield
8. Richardson
9. Bogdanovic
10. Galloway
11. 8th pick in the draft
12. 10th pick in the draft

There are a couple of unknowns there in Bogdanovic and Galloway. I feel pretty confident about Bogdanovic being here. My guess is the Galloway opt's in, but who knows for sure.

With Gay opting out, the Kings could have as much as $55,279,900.00 in cap space. That's assuming that they buyout Afflalo and let McLemore walk. The problem will be how do you spend that money on three roster spots. Nice problem to have. Of course if Galloway opt's out, then we have four roster spots. Plus, the Kings could also buyout Tolliver, which would give them additional cap space and another roster spot.

In general, the Kings are sitting in very good position for a rebuilding team. They already have some nice young talent on the team. They have the ability to add to that talent through the draft this year, and they have tons of cap space available. The trick now is use that money intelligently with the future in mind. Plan for 5 or 6 years down the road. The Lakers were in a similar situation a year ago, and then went out and spent a ton of money, over paying Mozgov and Deng on long term contracts. They did exactly what you shouldn't do, and they've lost most of their cap flexibility. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

In short, the Kings need to draft wisely, spend wisely, and be patient. If the player your looking for isn't there, or won't sign, then don't settle for second best, especially on a long term contract. Do more contracts like the Afflalo and Tolliver contracts. Plug the holes temporally and don't tie up money long term. Forget about winning now, and build something that will win for years to come. AKA the Spurs, Warriors, and perhaps the Jazz. To coin a phrase, "Build it, and they will come".
I think we're in excellent position now to trade cap space for future picks like Philly did for us two years ago. Maybe we can get a 2019 first back. Of course with limited roster space we won't be able to keep all these young players forever but more picks could always be trade bait for an important player down the line when we're closer to competing.

This is what I think the roster should look like on July 1st, heading into the free agency season.

There are a couple of unknowns there in Bogdanovic and Galloway. I feel pretty confident about Bogdanovic being here. My guess is the Galloway opt's in, but who knows for sure.

With Gay opting out, the Kings could have as much as $55,279,900.00 in cap space. That's assuming that they buyout Afflalo and let McLemore walk. The problem will be how do you spend that money on three roster spots. Nice problem to have. Of course if Galloway opt's out, then we have four roster spots. Plus, the Kings could also buyout Tolliver, which would give them additional cap space and another roster spot.

In general, the Kings are sitting in very good position for a rebuilding team. They already have some nice young talent on the team. They have the ability to add to that talent through the draft this year, and they have tons of cap space available. The trick now is use that money intelligently with the future in mind. Plan for 5 or 6 years down the road. The Lakers were in a similar situation a year ago, and then went out and spent a ton of money, over paying Mozgov and Deng on long term contracts. They did exactly what you shouldn't do, and they've lost most of their cap flexibility. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.
Alright.. Let's assume the Kings are insane and offer Bogdanovic 15million. Would leave the Kings 40million to play around with..woah. Well, I took a look at FAs this year, and it's not that great of a list (took in consideration of players who are ring chasing, and players who wouldn't mind getting PAID+rebuilding): Jrue Holiday, Jeff Teague, Otto Porter Jr, Danillo Gallinari, Derrick Rose, Jeff Green, Andre Igudola, Nikola Mirotic, Patty Mills, Bojan Bogdanovic, MCW, Trey Burke, Shelvin Mack, Joe Ingles, KCP, and Andre Roberson.

2018 is a much much better list with youth talent. However, there's many deals that can be made before now and next year. Most of these guys are RFAs, so it could be long-shots. However, there's a few teams with unproven players. Assuming they(Nurkic, Parker, Embiid, Gordon, Smart, or Randle) don't make big jumps, I could see the Kings offering a max to one of those players, and the other team deciding not to match it.

Zach LaVine, Jusuf Nurkic, Derrick Favors, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle, Seth Curry, Elfrid Payton, Doug McDermott, Rodney Hood, Gary Harris, Norman Powell, Josh Richardson, and Will Barton.

Almost seems like the Kings should wait until next year to really start spending their money. We'd have the money and low-risk to max out a few of those players.

Otto Porter come to us, baby... yes Vlade, he can be our future starting SF only for Max contract.

Maybe he still friends with Garrett Temple, maybe Temple can help recruit him... and as funny as it sounds, they are look alike too lmao, so maybe there is a chance.

I cant wait to see if we fill the SF spot in the draft. Temple can mentor the youngin until hes ready to fly on his own.
If not filled in the draft, I recon Vlade will be looking at one of the FA SF's.

Thanks Rudy for your contribution, hopefully moving on is best for everyone.

Off the subject, but what does it take around these parts for my status to change from New Member?

Also I would love to make a successful run at Porter but think its an exercise in futility. I however wonder if Vlade as any interest in Hezonja. He's not a FA but I cant help but thinking hes just on the wrong team.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Off the subject, but what does it take around these parts for my status to change from New Member?
I honestly don't know. I think it probably has to do with the number of posts you have. I'd guess you have to hit either 500 or 1000.

Also I would love to make a successful run at Porter but think its an exercise in futility. I however wonder if Vlade as any interest in Hezonja. He's not a FA but I cant help but thinking hes just on the wrong team.
You have to wear a girls backpack for an entire season, it's a real thing look it up.

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
I honestly don't know. I think it probably has to do with the number of posts you have. I'd guess you have to hit either 500 or 1000.
At one point, it would have happened automatically, but the process that controls that has been offline for some time, and Admin... well, let's just say that it's way down on his list of things on the message board to get squared away.

Alright.. Let's assume the Kings are insane and offer Bogdanovic 15million. Would leave the Kings 40million to play around with..woah. Well, I took a look at FAs this year, and it's not that great of a list (took in consideration of players who are ring chasing, and players who wouldn't mind getting PAID+rebuilding): Jrue Holiday, Jeff Teague, Otto Porter Jr, Danillo Gallinari, Derrick Rose, Jeff Green, Andre Igudola, Nikola Mirotic, Patty Mills, Bojan Bogdanovic, MCW, Trey Burke, Shelvin Mack, Joe Ingles, KCP, and Andre Roberson.

2018 is a much much better list with youth talent. However, there's many deals that can be made before now and next year. Most of these guys are RFAs, so it could be long-shots. However, there's a few teams with unproven players. Assuming they(Nurkic, Parker, Embiid, Gordon, Smart, or Randle) don't make big jumps, I could see the Kings offering a max to one of those players, and the other team deciding not to match it.

Zach LaVine, Jusuf Nurkic, Derrick Favors, Jabari Parker, Andrew Wiggins, Joel Embiid, Aaron Gordon, Dante Exum, Marcus Smart, Julius Randle, Seth Curry, Elfrid Payton, Doug McDermott, Rodney Hood, Gary Harris, Norman Powell, Josh Richardson, and Will Barton.

Almost seems like the Kings should wait until next year to really start spending their money. We'd have the money and low-risk to max out a few of those players.
I read somewhere that Kyle Lowry is probably going to opt out (becoming a UFA), and wants to play in the Western Conference.

I think the possibility for Porter may be a little higher than some may think, if that is a route we pursue. I FIRMLY believe Wall has been in the FO's ear about DMC joining them after this coming season, and they would need to plan for that. If you make a large enough offer they may be reluctant to match.

As for our capspace in general, I don't see many reasons to spend big. Barring a young player like Porter if you feel he fits the vision. We would be wise to develop who we have and maximize our 2018 pick, rather than start adding "maybe he'll fit" pieces on stifling contracts.

Go all in summer of 2018 FA class unless someone perfect for our future plans can be had this summer. If we are short the cap floor the youth we already have get the difference. Not a strong case to make moves just because we feel we have to meet the cap floor.

I read somewhere that Kyle Lowry is probably going to opt out (becoming a UFA), and wants to play in the Western Conference.
Hes on the wrong side of 30 but if Collison is in the conversation then Lowry should be worth the consideration. I can't think of a WC team in more need than us for a PG.

I think that less money part is where Gay might take issue. Don't think he's opting out for making less money.
Rudy's a starter on a bad team and a sixth man on a good team. Whoever signs him will do well to pay him accordingly and not overpay. But then we saw lots of overpaying last year, and that's probably what Rudy and his agent are aiming for...
So goodbye, Rudy, and tanks for the memories!

At some point wont teams will fill up on these bloated FA contracts? Like portland for inatance signing crabs to all that money. Or will the cap juat keep climbing so teams will continue to hand out giant deals without consequence?

@kingsfan1984
The NBA has a salary cap, salary floor, and luxury tax threshold. Teams can go over the luxury tax threshold but pay a dollar or more penalty for every dollar over the luxury tax threshold they are. There are also repeat offender penalties for being over the luxury tax threshold for three of the last four years.

The 2016-2017 season for example had a cap of $94.1 million and a luxury tax threshold of $113.3 million. Teams can and do go over the luxury tax threshold but they pay the penalties which are distributed to all the teams under the tax threshold. Some teams like the Cavs have been willing to pay. Whether the Blazers try and reign their salary in is yet to be seen.

I say we use the cap space to sign Iguadola, Jason Terry and Wayne Ellington. We're going to need the veteran presence with all the rookies.