Rudy Gay Plans To Opt Out (ESPN)

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I may be misreading the situation but this seems like the outcome that the Kings would want and the Kings fans would. Am I correct?
Well, I think most people lean that way. Seeing as we're not expecting to compete for a championship next year Rudy's cap space is probably a better asset than Rudy's presence.

The article says that Gay "expects to be ready for training camp and is open to talking to any teams, including the Kings."
While I think we may be better off without him, I wouldn't be opposed to a new contract (for less money per season) and then one of two things happen: Gay proves that he can be a great complement to our youngsters, or we trade him for another asset. We don't seem to be able to attract the more desireable free agents here, so having a ton of cap space available doesn't exactly improve our talent.

pdxKingsFan

Hall of Famer
Well, I think most people lean that way. Seeing as we're not expecting to compete for a championship next year Rudy's cap space is probably a better asset than Rudy's presence.
I was hoping he'd take the option to keep us from spending that money this year and maybe give us a trade asset at the deadline. I think by the end of next season we'll have a much better idea of who is worth keeping around and where to spend any free money. But I guess some of this money can go to Bogdan.

Lots of people dislike because of his game, but I really liked Rudy. People forget that before Rudy, the Kings were desperate for a SF. We went through the likes of Francisco, Casspi, Salmons, Honeycutt, Outlaw, and D. Williams. We just weren't able to find a starting SF since Artest. After every signing, it became the joking game of "Do the Kings have a SF yet?: NO". Rudy was traded to Sacramento and a lot of people had mixed feelings. I was ecstatic. He was a 18ppg scorer at Memphis, but was thrusted into the wrong situation in Toronto.

Rudy came in, and positively contributed right away. He fit perfectly next to IT and Cousins as the equalizer. He was a player who could slow down the offense and control the mid-range game. Things started clicking towards the end of the year. Kings finished something like 20-21 when all of IT-Gay-Cousins played. Kings games started becoming exciting, and for the first time, in a long time, things looked like they were finally getting things right. Rudy eventually decided to resign with the Kings...because he actually wanted to be here. He actually wanted to be a King. Unfortunately, no one could've predicted this end result.

Even with that, through his 4 years as a King, he showed up to every game ready and prepared. He gave his 100% every night and didn't let external factors bother his game on the court. Through the turmoil of FO, he was a completely pro. As a King, he's 10th overall in franchise history with his career PPG. Without letting nostalgia get the best of me, Rudy is on my list for Top 10 Sacramento King of all time. In the end, I'm glad we had 4 years of Rudy. This is probably his last lap around the league, and I hope he gets a ring. Rudy will be one of my favorite Kings from this era.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I was hoping he'd take the option to keep us from spending that money this year and maybe give us a trade asset at the deadline. I think by the end of next season we'll have a much better idea of who is worth keeping around and where to spend any free money. But I guess some of this money can go to Bogdan.
Yeah, I'm beginning to think ALL of that money will go to Bogdan. $15M/year just doesn't seem out of the question.

This is good news when it happens. We are heading into a rebuild around the younger players on this roster.

Rudy has done a solid job for us. It's a shame we never turned the corner with him and Cousins, but it's best for both parties him opting out and moving on just like we moved on from Cousins. Let's sweep that era under the mat and move on.

Lots of people dislike because of his game, but I really liked Rudy. People forget that before Rudy, the Kings were desperate for a SF. We went through the likes of Francisco, Casspi, Salmons, Honeycutt, Outlaw, and D. Williams. We just weren't able to find a starting SF since Artest. After every signing, it became the joking game of "Do the Kings have a SF yet?: NO". Rudy was traded to Sacramento and a lot of people had mixed feelings. I was ecstatic. He was a 18ppg scorer at Memphis, but was thrusted into the wrong situation in Toronto.

Rudy came in, and positively contributed right away. He fit perfectly next to IT and Cousins as the equalizer. He was a player who could slow down the offense and control the mid-range game. Things started clicking towards the end of the year. Kings finished something like 20-21 when all of IT-Gay-Cousins played. Kings games started becoming exciting, and for the first time, in a long time, things looked like they were finally getting things right. Rudy eventually decided to resign with the Kings...because he actually wanted to be here. He actually wanted to be a King. Unfortunately, no one could've predicted this end result.

Even with that, through his 4 years as a King, he showed up to every game ready and prepared. He gave his 100% every night and didn't let external factors bother his game on the court. Through the turmoil of FO, he was a completely pro. As a King, he's 10th overall in franchise history with his career PPG. Without letting nostalgia get the best of me, Rudy is on my list for Top 10 Sacramento King of all time. In the end, I'm glad we had 4 years of Rudy. This is probably his last lap around the league, and I hope he gets a ring. Rudy will be one of my favorite Kings from this era.
I like Rudy as a player and teammate. Seems like a good dude who goes out there and produces.

My one gripe is that for some reason, his game doesn't lead to winning basketball. I'm not really sure why but the teams he's on don't seem to win until he leaves and we even saw some of that last year where we got better once he was out of the lineup.

I think he lands in Miami.

I wouldn't have minded if he opted in but it also ensures that this isn't a half assed rebuild like those of the past. Full youth movement with serviceable but not dominant veterans. The team belongs to the youth officially.

Take care Rudy

bajaden

Hall of Famer
The article says that Gay "expects to be ready for training camp and is open to talking to any teams, including the Kings."
While I think we may be better off without him, I wouldn't be opposed to a new contract (for less money per season) and then one of two things happen: Gay proves that he can be a great complement to our youngsters, or we trade him for another asset. We don't seem to be able to attract the more desireable free agents here, so having a ton of cap space available doesn't exactly improve our talent.
I think that less money part is where Gay might take issue. Don't think he's opting out for making less money.

hrdboild

Hall of Famer
This pretty much confirms that he won't be back. A multi-year deal for Rudy Gay wouldn't make a lot of sense for us where we're at right now and it wouldn't make a lot of sense for him either considering that he'd probably rather have a chance to win than be part of a long rebuild. For whatever reason things just never quite came together. Every time it looked like the DeMarcus/Rudy duo was starting to take us somewhere there was a setback -- an injury or a coaching change primarily -- and the boulder would roll back downhill. We saw some really impressive scoring performances, especially in his first year and a half here. We also saw that he can play very good defense when he's motivated (which unfortunately was not all that often). Early on it actually looked like this might be the year that he put it all together and helped lead a team but of course we all know what happened next, crushing season-ending injury followed by roster dismantling. I don't have any one favorite Rudy moment, but I'm going to miss his random 40 point scoring explosions. Also I'll take any excuse to re-post this, my favorite basketball video on YouTube (NSFW -- language :) ) ...

"Not this guy!"

...because we should all be remembered for when we're at our best.

Best of luck Rudy! Once a King always a King!

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm beginning to think ALL of that money will go to Bogdan. $15M/year just doesn't seem out of the question.
I had heard 4/40 but the way salaries are right now who knows. In either event I'm ok with that a lot more than just signing some random vet that is willing to come to Sac to get paid and eat up developmental minutes. Given our pick situation, I'm ok with <30 wins next year and next year only.

Any time that we lose talent it is a bad thing. That said, this was almost inevitable. Rudy just didn't fit in with the youth-movement we have going. Would have been nice to get an asset for him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
This is what I think the roster should look like on July 1st, heading into the free agency season.

1. Koufos
2. WCS
3. Papagiannis
4. Labissiere
5. Tolliver
6. Temple
7. Hield
8. Richardson
9. Bogdanovic
10. Galloway
11. 8th pick in the draft
12. 10th pick in the draft

There are a couple of unknowns there in Bogdanovic and Galloway. I feel pretty confident about Bogdanovic being here. My guess is the Galloway opt's in, but who knows for sure.

With Gay opting out, the Kings could have as much as $55,279,900.00 in cap space. That's assuming that they buyout Afflalo and let McLemore walk. The problem will be how do you spend that money on three roster spots. Nice problem to have. Of course if Galloway opt's out, then we have four roster spots. Plus, the Kings could also buyout Tolliver, which would give them additional cap space and another roster spot.

In general, the Kings are sitting in very good position for a rebuilding team. They already have some nice young talent on the team. They have the ability to add to that talent through the draft this year, and they have tons of cap space available. The trick now is use that money intelligently with the future in mind. Plan for 5 or 6 years down the road. The Lakers were in a similar situation a year ago, and then went out and spent a ton of money, over paying Mozgov and Deng on long term contracts. They did exactly what you shouldn't do, and they've lost most of their cap flexibility. Couldn't happen to a nicer team.

In short, the Kings need to draft wisely, spend wisely, and be patient. If the player your looking for isn't there, or won't sign, then don't settle for second best, especially on a long term contract. Do more contracts like the Afflalo and Tolliver contracts. Plug the holes temporally and don't tie up money long term. Forget about winning now, and build something that will win for years to come. AKA the Spurs, Warriors, and perhaps the Jazz. To coin a phrase, "Build it, and they will come".

Vlade and the front office showed good judgement with the contracts handed out last season. Even the players like AA who did not seem to play on a level deserving 12m+ had an out for this season. Rudy opting out frees a much needed roster slot in addition to the salary, which I would hope is used equally as wisely.

Rudy seems like a pro and good guy. His playstyle is not my type but we gave it a shot. I wish him the best of luck should he play elsewhere.

I look at NBA championships kind of like a space launch to a far off planet. You only have a short window to get the program absolutely ready and then go for it. If one of numerous factors is off, you have to abort and prepare for the next window. Maybe with some luck and wise decisions we can make the launch next time around.

I just hope Vlade doesn't swing for the homerun signing and tie up all of this space, Patience is going to have to be real big in this spot, do not go out and throw a max contract at Lowry or something. With Vlade's 2 year timeline is he willing to be patient though? I guess we will find out.

Ideally I would like for us to rent out this cap space to teams for current or future first round picks (since we will have the open roster slots and need assets), teams who have bloated bad contracts but feel that they can contend and need the cap relief. I hope we do not let it sit idle just to save Vivek a buck or two.

Definitely going to be an interesting summer!

Think of it like this:

If Gay were just a regular free agent next year... do you hope the Kings go out and sign him at 15 mil a year?

The easy answer is no.

A lot has changed since we first traded for, and then resigned him. We've moved on as an organization.

He's a great guy and a good player, and he'll get paid and contribute somewhere.

We've got out own plans.

This leaves us with a YUUUUUGE amount of capspace next year, which we do NOT have to spend all in one summer.

FINALLY we have a cohesive plan and direction.