Ron Artest guarantees win in the first round

Just now in a locker room interview Ron Artest said:

"Whoever we play we're not losing in the first round. Everyone on this team is committed. We're going to take it one game at a time, but we're not losing in the first round."

i love hearing those words. not sure what our odds are, especially if we go up against the spurs, but it would be so friggin awesome to advance. i cant help but think we could be the dark horse going into the playoffs. hell, not to long ago nobody thought we would even make the playoffs this season. god, I would love to upset some teams. im excited. GO KINGS!!

B

beemerr23

Confidence & Swagger - Something this team has been lacking for a long time, it's amazing what it can do for you. Get Em Ron

Bricklayer said:
Sigh. Ron's interviews are great for opposing team's bulletin boards if nothing else.
If opposing teams need bulletin board material to get up for a playoff game, something is seriously wrong.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Heuge said:
If opposing teams need bulletin board material to get up for a playoff game, something is seriously wrong.
Yeah - I seriously doubt the Spurs are paying a whole heck of a lot of attention to that....

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Warhawk said:
Yeah - I seriously doubt the Spurs are paying a whole heck of a lot of attention to that....
No, actually the proudest teams normally take the greatest offense at the lack of respect. And then its *schwack*, with a little "where are the big words now?" interview after its over.

But who knows -- I have questioned the Spurs competitive greatness before, so guess we'll see. Mentioned before you say something like that to the MJ Bulls and they would very publicly humiliate you in response. The soft/quiet Spurs? We'll see.

piksi said:
let me take a wild guess - we traded Webber on that day.

nice to see how Sixers are excelling on the swager and confidence
no need to bash Webber...
you asked about the last time we had a guy with confidence and swagger...I told you exactly when.
As for the Sixers, I couldnt care less.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Heuge said:
13 months 24 days
Think that's right of course. Similar in that you have a supremely confident leader of the elite star type class. But there's a line there to be crossed between having tremendous belief in yourself, and then issuing guarantees and putdowns. Especially for us -- we just haven't earned that arrogance yet. And even if you do earn it you have to be careful not to become the Shaq/Kobe era Lakers putting everybody else down.

In any case, there is no doubt about the confidence. Its just whetehr you run around making public proclamations that other teams will note and which can leave you looking foolish. You can have all the confidence you want and inspire the team with whatever in the locker room. But calling other teams out...

I like the confidence... But his guarantees are a little out of control now... It could become just a "that's Ron" instead of something that fires you up. What good do guarantees do? But what will it do if it's guarantee after guarantee? Eventually it will lose its impact. I hope this lights the Kings up this time though.

Heuge said:
Ronnie also said he could when a championship withh 4 10 year olds in his interview with Grant.
Clearly he is a bit loopy.
That's a little out of context. I forgot the question that was asked, but it was basically about him guaranteeing things etc., and his confidence. He said he believes he could win a champion ship with him and a team of 10 year olds. He has to believe it, that's just how he is. Or, something to that effect. He was getting across the point that you HAVE to believe in yourself. You have to believe you can win every game. That's an attitude I like.

I'd say we had the same chance of taking the Spurs as a typical 4 seed does of taking the 1 in the second round.

If we had Artert all year we would have been in the top 4 of the Pacific.

I'd say we have a 40% chance of winning. It will be an upset, but it isn't impossible. We really aren't a typical 8 seed team.

i love the confidence he has, but the kings are not beating the spurs unless tim duncan's ankle falls off, along with tony parker's. i just don't see the kings being able to beat the spurs. maybe in a year or two, but this year, no.

i'd say we'd last 5, possibly 6 games.

still, i love the confidence ron and the kings have, that is never a bad thing.

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!

B

beemerr23

Evenstar said:
i love the confidence he has, but the kings are not beating the spurs unless tim duncan's ankle falls off, along with tony parker's. i just don't see the kings being able to beat the spurs. maybe in a year or two, but this year, no.

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!
Agreed 100%.

I think a lot of it depends on how Martin and Garcia perform. We don't have a chance if we can't get good minutes out of them across the series.

I've always liked SARs game, and I think he is going to step it up a couple notches for the PO. SAR is going to surprise people. I'm sure about this.

Ron will step it up too, he's got something to prove.

Records since the All Star Break

Spurs 21-7
Dallas 19-10 / Sacramento 19-9
Memphis 18-10 / Lakers 18-11
Suns 17-11
Denver 17-9
Clippers 16-13

Kings in 6!!!

Evenstar said:

GO KINGS!!!!!!!!!!
Ye of little faith, bow to 93! He's obviously the savior can't you see!

Spurs are not as dominant as their record states and they are not the typical spurs team we are used to seeing winning championships.

They are not finishing the season strong and have not really found their rhythm on any side of the floor. Parker is the only offense they have and he can be stopped, it just takes some effort from the other team to do that and it doesnt have to start with a strong defensive pg, but help defense in the paint. Playoffs are much more physical and lets see how parker rebounds after a big hit driving down the lane. Parker incidentally is also their highest scorer in the paint which can be stopped by getting some help defense and putting some doubt in his mind about driving the middle. He is not a great shooter and the more he tries to shoot he will be out shot by bibby

Duncan is hurt / declining and he is also not getting that much love from the refs as he used to, he doesnt get those touch fouls called any more while going for the bank shot and now they call him as a big man, which will help miller or kenny whoever guards him. Play him straight up and dont let the three point shooting of manu/bowen/nick/barry kill you, give duncan his 25-30 and stop the rest, duncan will not beat you in his own. Make him play defense on the other end with miller and reef posting him up and feeding off the cutters and feeding the cutters

Manu can be easily shut down by artest and even otherwise this year without his flailing hair, manu is not getting any calls anyways and hasnt been the same without the calls going his way. He can still do some damage but not as much since they started calling the travel on him. Still whatever is left can be managed by artest and they dont have anyone to guard artest other than bowen whom artest can post up and be as much if not more physical with and dirty with anyways. Bowen would have nightmares about artest coming under him while taking a three and that is something the nba fans would love to see.

It will then come to the bench to deliver and i feel that if the kings play their own style of high energy ball they win in 6, if they try to match the spurs in their game its a sweep or maybe 5 games to the spurs.

Spurs can be had if adelman can keep the team focussed.

PS - And the last but not least there will have to be atleast two first round upsets this season and the east doesnt seem to be heading that way making the spurs and the suns the main contenders for that special spot. Watch out vegas :)