Ron Artest guarantees win in the first round

Spurs don't win games with their offense. They win playing great team defense so the question is
Will Kings score consistantly against SA? If yes, it will be really interesting series, if not in two weeks we'll have the opportunity to talk what Kings will look like next season.

I'm not saying it will happen but anything's possible and that's why they actually play. Neither Duncan or Ginobli are 100% right now, all it takes is a couple of bad games for them and we can do it. We beat them not too long ago and we can do it again.:D Ron may be a bit loopy (not the word I would use;)) but you have to admire his confidence. You can't go into PO's thinking you can't win. We are a completely different team then we were 4 months ago. If we'd started the season with who we have now then our record would be much better. Even Bill Walton (yea I know consider the source) said we were a force to be reckoned with and that was during the Bulls game which had absolutely nothing to do with us.

B

beemerr23

vladetomiller said:
Spurs are not as dominant as their record states and they are not the typical spurs team we are used to seeing winning championships.

They are not finishing the season strong and have not really found their rhythm on any side of the floor. Parker is the only offense they have and he can be stopped, it just takes some effort from the other team to do that and it doesnt have to start with a strong defensive pg, but help defense in the paint. Playoffs are much more physical and lets see how parker rebounds after a big hit driving down the lane. Parker incidentally is also their highest scorer in the paint which can be stopped by getting some help defense and putting some doubt in his mind about driving the middle. He is not a great shooter and the more he tries to shoot he will be out shot by bibby

Duncan is hurt / declining and he is also not getting that much love from the refs as he used to, he doesnt get those touch fouls called any more while going for the bank shot and now they call him as a big man, which will help miller or kenny whoever guards him. Play him straight up and dont let the three point shooting of manu/bowen/nick/barry kill you, give duncan his 25-30 and stop the rest, duncan will not beat you in his own. Make him play defense on the other end with miller and reef posting him up and feeding off the cutters and feeding the cutters

Manu can be easily shut down by artest and even otherwise this year without his flailing hair, manu is not getting any calls anyways and hasnt been the same without the calls going his way. He can still do some damage but not as much since they started calling the travel on him. Still whatever is left can be managed by artest and they dont have anyone to guard artest other than bowen whom artest can post up and be as much if not more physical with and dirty with anyways. Bowen would have nightmares about artest coming under him while taking a three and that is something the nba fans would love to see.

It will then come to the bench to deliver and i feel that if the kings play their own style of high energy ball they win in 6, if they try to match the spurs in their game its a sweep or maybe 5 games to the spurs.

Spurs can be had if adelman can keep the team focussed.

PS - And the last but not least there will have to be atleast two first round upsets this season and the east doesnt seem to be heading that way making the spurs and the suns the main contenders for that special spot. Watch out vegas :)
I agree with all of this, just like to add in a couple things. Parker I believe leads the league in points the paint, maybe for a guard, can't remember. But because of this Miller is going to have to step up defensively if we want to win, because he has a very hard task of stopping Duncan and blocking Parker. Artest can post up Bowen, or Bonzi can. We need great production from Shareef off the bench, and Martin/Garcia as well. Hart needs to play solid defense and play smart. They will get us in foul trouble, we need the bench to step up. Like you said, if we play their style, we will exit quickly. If we play up tempo and keep them on their heels, we might have a shot.

If we're hitting our outside shot, we have a great chance to steal a couple / win the series. We do have some post-up options nowadays, but still the Kings seem to live or die by the jump-shot. And they are prone to going very, very cold all at the same time. :)

At least if Brad & Mike can hit theirs it'll open some things up in the paint for the Likes of Bonzi, Shareef and KT. Slowing TP down again will also be huge and certainly a tall task considering the best way Mike can defend the guy really is to make him work on the offensive end...

Kevin Martin could be an X-factor. I expect him to play like an inconsistent rookie without any playoff experience, but if he comes out and is productive offensively it'll be a huge help.

Folsom Al said:
At this time, all I'm wanting is NO INJURIES VS SEATTLE !!!!!! :cool:
I'm with you on that one. I'll be hoping for no injuries, but a normally played and rotated game. I believe it would be good to go out on a winning note, and to have that feeling going into the playoffs. But, if we get up on them do what we've done the last couple games, rotate in the second team. Get them some playing time and rest the starters, and save them.

I just hope none of the players go in to the game worrying about injuries, because that's exactly when you'll get one, being overly cautious.

Bricklayer said:
Think that's right of course. Similar in that you have a supremely confident leader of the elite star type class. But there's a line there to be crossed between having tremendous belief in yourself, and then issuing guarantees and putdowns. Especially for us -- we just haven't earned that arrogance yet. And even if you do earn it you have to be careful not to become the Shaq/Kobe era Lakers putting everybody else down.

In any case, there is no doubt about the confidence. Its just whetehr you run around making public proclamations that other teams will note and which can leave you looking foolish. You can have all the confidence you want and inspire the team with whatever in the locker room. But calling other teams out...
you have to admit it' be different if bibby or bonzi said what ron said. just roll with it, you feel better.:D

All things considered, we shouldn't fool ourselves over that last time the two teams met. They stunk and we played great. It'll be especially important to steal at least one early road win and for the Kings to not let themselves be intimidated or pushed around to have a chance at all, if not, this whole series is just a suicide run.

I'm setting my expectations low, so I won't be disappointed. Hell, after basically coming back from the dead, I'm not disappointed with this team even if the Spurs embarass them.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Unclebuck said:
You guys are abusing the first and most important rule. We Pacers fans tried to warn you. "Never pay any attention to what Ronnie says"
I have no problem with what he said, especially since I saw the interview and am not just relying on a clip...

So far, so good.

:D

Unclebuck said:
You guys are abusing the first and most important rule. We Pacers fans tried to warn you. "Never pay any attention to what Ronnie says"
Exactly. And the Spurs won't say "hey, look what the kings are saying, disrespecting us!" They'll say "oh, it's Ron. whatever."
So i think it only plays to our advantage, if anything at all.

M

MistiLynn

^^^ True!

I actually see the match-up similar to the Spurs meeting Denver in the first round last season. Denver was hot the second half of the year, since George Karl joined the team, and was a definite wild card. The Kings are the same way this year with the signing of Ron Artest, they're an unknown.

Unclebuck said:
lets put aside the fact we are going to win the first round because we are in 6.... That statement is so true and I have realized it the more he talks.

Even if Ron doesn't truly believe it, he knows how to play his cards. He's getting the fans pumped up, he's getting the team pumped up, he's sending the message that the reigning champs don't scare this team, and he'll NEVER show any sign that this team might lose the series, even if we lose the first three straight.

Bricklayer said:
In any case, there is no doubt about the confidence. Its just whetehr you run around making public proclamations that other teams will note and which can leave you looking foolish. You can have all the confidence you want and inspire the team with whatever in the locker room. But calling other teams out...
We must also remember who is making these statements... Everyone will just say, "oh, it's crazy Ron again... :rolleyes: "

ron doesn't run with the pack, but he is an awesome basketball player. spurs will take him very seriously. they'd have taken the kings seriously even without ron. they've lost several first round games over the years to the t-wolves, suns, and nuggets.

I think self-belief is important. I'd rather hear Artest make those comments than echo Tim Duncan's weak, "Well gee, I suppose we'll try our best pretty much, and we'll see how it goes, I guess."

Don't remember the exact quote, but I heard it on the Rise Guys this morning and it just sounded pathetic.

I don't think Artest makes these comments so much for the media's benefit or even his teammates, but for himself, to essentially brainwash himself into the belief that he will dominate and defeat any opponent, never visualizing anything but certain victory, because that's the mentality you need when you're the underdog taking on the world champion.
~~

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs swept the Kings, or the Kings win in 7, or if the Kings swept the Spurs. The one thing I can't see is the Spurs WINNING 4 games against the Kings. I can see the Kings LOSING 4 games.

venom_7 said:
I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs swept the Kings, or the Kings win in 7, or if the Kings swept the Spurs. The one thing I can't see is the Spurs WINNING 4 games against the Kings. I can see the Kings LOSING 4 games.
Dude, stay off the acid. jk its all good.

venom_7 said:
Took me a while to digest that, lol.

sc3252 said:
Ubuntu rocks! Except I can't stand Gnome so I use Kubuntu ;)