Robert Covington

I got to thinking that Covington is an absolute perfect fit for us.

1. He's a tall wing
2. He possesses incredible length
3. He's still fairly young (28)
4. He's a premier defender and ballhawk
5. He can knock down 3's and spread the floor

He simply has every single trait that we need right now. He fits a positional need, he creates space for Fox with his ability to hit from distance, and his defense is something this team is sorely lacking.

Why would Minnesota do this?

After Butler left, they haven't been nearly as competitive. They're currently below .500 and are struggling to claw their way into contention. They have an aging team... Teague is 30, Taj Gibson is 33, Dieng is almost 30, Rose is 30 and may leave in FA.

KAT might end up pulling an AD and requesting a trade or refusal to resign if they can't get their act together.

Simply put, they could be in for a rebuild or significant retooling.

What's the cost?

They need an outside scoring SG/SF. Maybe someone like Bog, who would be young enough to aid a rebuild They could also be interested in someone like WCS, an energy big off the bench. Dieng is good but slow footed. Same goes for Saric. Willie is someone other teams might look at and say "I can turn that guy into something".

Just spitballing here.

I'm not good with financials so I'll leave that to someone else if they feel like working it out. But I really like this idea.

He's pretty valuable. He's either the best or one of the best wing defenders in the NBA and can shoot the 3 ball. Only makes 11-12mil a year through 2022. I think it would take at least Bogs and WCS to land him.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Well first, not sure if Minny would even answer the call. They love Covington, and so would I if he were on our team. I think any conversation about Covington would be a non starter for them.