[Game] Rising Stars - Friday, Feb.16 - 6 PT - TNT

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Last night I watched some of the video of the Kings victory against Cleveland. The starting five was interesting: Hill, Richardson, Randolph, Mason, Temple. Vince had the remarkable game off the bench, but it was really Bogdan that had his coming out party. Willie also had one of his best games in a Kings uniform. It was very intersting to watch Bogdan matched up with LeBron. Bogey is a really good defender, and a great passer. The Kings have really sorted out a lot of their talent since the beginning of the season. If Buddy can challenge for MVP at the Rising Stars challenge you would think he could get more minutes from a basement dwelling team. Fox did not show well on Fri night but I am willing to bet he becomes a dominant player. Jackson has moved forward a lot. The Kings are pretty solid from 1-3.
I think the thing holding Buddy back, and maybe why Joerger is limiting his minutes is that he doesn't seem able to get through one game without losing focus at times and making a casual pass that gets picked off, or by passing up a wide open shot, and driving into traffic for a contested shot he misses, or turns the ball over. Everyone is going to make a bad decision or a bad pass at times. But there's a difference between trying to make a tough pass to a cutting player that gets picked off, and one that's simply careless and without any thought. Buddy seems to make the careless one more often than desired.

Buddy is also an inconsistent scorer, but a lot of shooters are. Heavens, no one is more inconsistent than Temple. Temple is either hotter than a pistol, or he can't shoot a pea into the ocean. To Buddy's credit, he will try and find another way to score if his three isn't falling. But when a play is run to get him an open look, and he passes it up, he's not making points with Joerger. I think Buddy's minutes will go up from attrition if nothing else. Soon Temple will be gone, and I doubt Shumpert is part of this team going forward.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think the thing holding Buddy back, and maybe why Joerger is limiting his minutes is that he doesn't seem able to get through one game without losing focus at times and making a casual pass that gets picked off, or by passing up a wide open shot, and driving into traffic for a contested shot he misses, or turns the ball over. Everyone is going to make a bad decision or a bad pass at times. But there's a difference between trying to make a tough pass to a cutting player that gets picked off, and one that's simply careless and without any thought. Buddy seems to make the careless one more often than desired.

Buddy is also an inconsistent scorer, but a lot of shooters are. Heavens, no one is more inconsistent than Temple. Temple is either hotter than a pistol, or he can't shoot a pea into the ocean. To Buddy's credit, he will try and find another way to score if his three isn't falling. But when a play is run to get him an open look, and he passes it up, he's not making points with Joerger. I think Buddy's minutes will go up from attrition if nothing else. Soon Temple will be gone, and I doubt Shumpert is part of this team going forward.
Bingo.

It still seems odd to me that Buddy ends up in the Rising Stars game and then the skills challenge, but does not start for a team with a crummy record. Casual passes that get picked off are the specialty of guys like Willie. Fox does the same thing at times. I don't think that is the whole story. The Kings' as a team struggle with their focus. They take quarters off not just a few plays here and there. I think Coach J has some other problems with Buddy.

since we are talking about Buddy, interesting stat from this week's espn team power rankings:

"...Buddy Hield hasn't been exceptional in many regards, but he has posted a lights-out 74.3 effective field goal percentage on catch-and-shoot jumpers this season -- best in the NBA."
I wish he could get that through his skull. I have lost track of how many times the ball gets kicked out to Buddy for an open 3 only for him to drive and take a contest 2 off the dribble.