Rick's press conference

tubiscus said:
As I posted in another thread....

The Maloofs want to be more "Hands On" running the team.

Look how well it's working for the 49ers!!
That is about the most insane comparison I have ever heard. The Yorks were very cheap for the greater part of their first 4 to 5 years owning the 49ers. (Although things have changed for the better recently) The Maloofs on the other hand have done nothing but fork out big money to free agents over the years. Yea, I see the similarities...

In a perfect world this whole situation would have been handled with more class. The owner/coach situation hasn't been handled with class for about a year. I would like to know if the Maloofs called RA when he was getting his extensions and raises or did Petrie make thoughs calls too.

Kingsroots said:
That is about the most insane comparison I have ever heard. The Yorks were very cheap for the greater part of their first 4 to 5 years owning the 49ers. (Although things have changed for the better recently) The Maloofs on the other hand have done nothing but fork out big money to free agents over the years. Yea, I see the similarities...
Insane??? Let's see, played in 2002 NFC Championship Game and lost, Owner fires successful coach who has made playoffs repeatedly, but failed to win Super Bowl, hires idiot coach, Owner demands team reduce payroll costs.....This all sounds a lot like the Kings situation except they haven't hired the idiot coach and hopefully will not. My point is that owners need to let the GM's do their jobs and run the team. The Maloof's are showing signs that they want to run the team, which WILL result in disaster. Definitely not what they need to get a new arena deal.

tubiscus said:
Insane??? Let's see, played in 2002 NFC Championship Game and lost, Owner fires successful coach who has made playoffs repeatedly, but failed to win Super Bowl, hires idiot coach, Owner demands team reduce payroll costs.....This all sounds a lot like the Kings situation except they haven't hired the idiot coach and hopefully will not. My point is that owners need to let the GM's do their jobs and run the team. The Maloof's are showing signs that they want to run the team, which WILL result in disaster. Definitely not what they need to get a new arena deal.
If the owners weren't involved we wouldn't have Artest on the team and we would be discussing where Peja is going to play next year as we wonder who we are going to draft with the 5th pick in the draft.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I think the simple fact is they didn't even stop to consider how this would be received and they didn't consider Rick Adelman anything more than another "disposable asset" of their company to be dealt with in whatever manner was most expedient.

I have defended the Maloofs and their actions many times. They made flimsy excuses over their poor behavior with Peja but, bottom line, it was simply platitudes to appease the public outcry.

I wonder what they'll say this time? "Oh, we figured he knew he wouldn't be coming back..."

I love this team. I will continue to love this team. Right now, I do NOT have any respect for the owners. Some things transcend the "it's just business" excuse and this is one of them. You treat people with respect and dignity. Some of the biggest business moguls in history were remembered not only for what they did in their business dealings but also for how they treated their employees, what type of character they displayed.

Regardless of what they do from this point on, they have shown themselves AGAIN to be inconsiderate of the feelings of the people whose lives they have in the palm of their hands.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.

The Maloofs had their two times. From now on I'll consider everything they say to be calculated and without any real feeling.

They care about their customers? Yeah, right. They care about themselves and their massive corporate holdings. Tossing crumbs to the fans about how great we are is just "good business."

As I said, I love this team but I'm not going to use that as an excuse to forgive bad behavior.

Last edited:
I have to agree 100% with you on this VF. After listening to his interview, I am even more sure that the Maloof's goofed on this one. It is very hard to have respect for the way they are conducting business.

Has there been any player reaction / comments yet?

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
VF21 said:
They care about their customers? Yeah, right. They care about themselves and their massive corporate holdings. Tossing crumbs to the fans about how great we are is just "good business."
What, you mean you're not feeling the giant, obnoxious "six" out front of ARCO?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Mr. S£im Citrus said:
What, you mean you're not feeling the giant, obnoxious "six" out front of ARCO?
Nothing says love and respect and gratitude like a big number with a beer logo on it.

VF21 said:
I think the simple fact is they didn't even stop to consider how this would be received and they didn't consider Rick Adelman anything more than another "disposable asset" of their company to be dealt with in whatever manner was most expedient.

I have defended the Maloofs and their actions many times. They made flimsy excuses over their poor behavior with Peja but, bottom line, it was simply platitudes to appease the public outcry.

I wonder what they'll say this time? "Oh, we figured he knew he wouldn't be coming back..."

I love this team. I will continue to love this team. Right now, I do NOT have any respect for the owners. Some things transcend the "it's just business" excuse and this is one of them. You treat people with respect and dignity. Some of the biggest business moguls in history were remembered not only for what they did in their business dealings but also for how they treated their employees, what type of character they displayed.

Regardless of what they do from this point on, they have shown themselves AGAIN to be inconsiderate of the feelings of the people whose lives they have in the palm of their hands.

The Maloofs had their two times. From now on I'll consider everything they say to be calculated and without any real feeling.

As I said, I love this team but I'm not going to use that as an excuse to forgive bad behavior.
I'm just curious on how you would handle the situation if you were the Maloof. Hypothetically, if you were the owner and you dont want hime back; what else can you do? It IS a business. He's not fired, because his contract is ending and they just chose not to resign him. What other way can you possibly handle it.

I work in the pharmaceautical world; this is how things work. When i was hired, I was on a probationary period of 3 months. If they like me enough, then they keep me and if they dont; then I''m gone. This is no different than what is happening to Adelman. I've known plenty of people in the industry who found out they were fired over their vacation break. Maybe it is the industry that I am in; but I dont see what the big fuss is about. Yea, the guy is here for 8 years so of course it's painful to see him go; but that's like in every almost every business industry.
btw, I'm actually a supporter of Adelman. I really do prefer that they had resigned him.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What would I do? I'd get on my personal jet and I'd fly ALL THE WAY from Las Vegas to Sacramento. Once there, I'd grab my stretch limo and I'd go to Rick's house, having called him first to let him know I was on my way and that we "needed to talk."

Once there, I would be respectful and grateful. I would thank Rick Adelman for everything he has done for my team over the years. I would tell him that I am very glad we worked together for 8 years and that I will always be thankful for the experience.

Then I would say, "Rick, we're not gonna be offering you another contract. You've been great but we just want to see what someone else can do. We really appreciate how good a job you've done especially with all the weird injuries, etc. that seem to follow the team. Good luck and I'm sure you'll have success wherever you end up."

Then I would have shaken his hand, walked back out and returned to the airport. I would have gotten back onto my private jet and headed back for Las Vegas. THEN I would have told my public relations people to get the necessary press releases ready and I would have given Petrie the go-ahead to announce the decision.

THAT'S how I would have handled it.

VF21 said:

Do you wish the Magoofs would sell the team?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BMiller52 said:
Do you wish the Maloofs would sell the team?
First, I corrected your error in spelling.

Now, back to your question: Do I wish they would sell the team? Why would I wish that? I'm objecting to their poor judgment in how they handle some situations. I'm not making a big fuss over Adelman being let go. It's how it was handled that stinks. And it's not the first time. They've shown a lack of people skills before. And the people that get hurt are the guys like Rick Adelman and Peja Stojakovic who haven't treated anyone badly and did not deserve to endure the obvious lack of respect from the Maloofs that they both were subjected to.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
BMiller52 said:
Do you wish the Magoofs would sell the team?
Oh no.

They are the best owners the Kings have had, and the only reason thye are sitll in Sacto.

Of course in a couple of years, unless an arena deal is reached, they will also be the LAST owners the Kings have had, and will take the team from Sacto. So then it would be nice if somebody bought the team from them. Do not see it though -- its their toy, and if anythign I think they are increasingly realizing that and treating it as such.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bricklayer said:
...its their toy, and if anythign I think they are increasingly realizing that and treating it as such.
Ding! Ding! Ding!!

We have a winner!

The bigger the boy, the more expensive the toy. And when your family is worth many millions, you can really get the top dollar fun stuff.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
SacTownKid said:
Not me, I would have sent him an erotic cake with the words "You're Fired" written on the top.
That was priceless.

I still think some are overreacting and that Petrie more than likely did what people wanted the Maloofs to do. Petrie is the GM and that's his job, not the owners. Would it be nice if they had the stones to show up face to face to say it themselves? Of course it would, but its by no means obligatory and a lot of other team owners aren't held to this standard so I don't think the Maloofs who by just about any measure have been very good for this organization deserve to be held to a higher standard.

It would be nice if they took out a full page ad thanking Rick for his services and then perhaps the following day or week or right before the new coaching announcement another one for the fans for their support and expressing their optimism for the new look Kings of the future.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Mark Kreidler this morning said the Maloofs never are the bearers of bad tidings. Trades, layoffs, whatever, they always let someone else do those functions (usually GP, Rick in the case of the Webber trade, etc.).

Even if they wanted GP to so the dirty work, a personal visit after the news was broken to him by GP (but before it went public) should have been priority no. 1.

Rick deserves to specifically know why after 8 winning seasons and playoffs he isn't being brought back. You don't just can someone with a good job performance with no reason, especially with all the personnel issues the Kings have had, including injuries.

VF21 said:

WORD!!! You can let a loyal employee whose done an excellent job go with much more grace than the Maloofs have shown. This is a different situation in that Adelman is an independent contractor, not exactly the same as an employee. He honored his commitment (contract) to the Maloofs and to this team with dignity and great success. Shame on the Maloofs.

I loved that Marty MacNeal called them gutless in the Bee and as cowardly as the lion in the Wizard of Oz without the long tail to wipe their eyes, LOL.