Rick's press conference

I think the Maloofs are going to see some serious backlash from this from the Sacramento fans. Who knows perhaps it's what they want giving them further excuse to move the team? I don't know what to think anymore. I used to respect them.

PFFFT!! said:
I don't see every CEO sitting down with a Joe Blow supervisor in a company telling him how sorry he is that he's being let go.

Why is it that the Maloofs have to do everything?
1) Joe Blow = Rick Adelman? wow. just, wow.

2) If my CEO were to mess around with my job by saying, "gee, ok, today you'll be managing this guy, and that guy, and that guy, but I'm transferring him tomorrow, and you have to reform this guy..." I'd sure as hell want him to respect me enough to tell me he wants to go in another direction. Fact is, the Maloofs ARE involved in everything the way Cuban is. You don't stick around for the fun parts and leave the crappy parts.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
PFFFT!! said:
The Maloofs are owners of a team. I don't see every CEO sitting down with a Joe Blow supervisor in a company telling him how sorry he is that he's being let go. The last thing any CEO wants is to make a friend out of that situation because thats business. Normally the immediate manager of that person is the one that gives the news. Why is it that the Maloofs have to do everything? This is probably stemming from the Maloofs not putting up cash for a new arena and the stories that they might pack this team and leave? Right?
The "random Joe Blow" is the 2nd most important person in the entire basketball side of the operation -- which last time I checked was what the whole corporation existed for. He was also the ONLY employee they have ever had in that position since they bought the corporation.

No. The Maloofs do not particularly have class. Entirely apart form the cheesy Vegas thing. They play favorites. They are nice so long as they like you. But they do not appear to have any inherent sense of the way you treat people once that's no longer true and they don't have need for you anymore. That would be class -- good or bad, happy or unhappy, knowing how to treat people the right way.

From Kings.com:

"Joe manages the Maloof Companies’ nearly 3,500 employees with an open door policy, much like his father did nearly 30 years ago. He also believes in treating customers in a first-class manner and with the utmost respect, and is often seen talking and listening to the fans and customers of the various family businesses."

I guess Rick Adelman wasn't a customer...

I have to admit I love Adelman's attitude and personality. He's honest and realistic, without being negative or mean, and he's got a sense of humor about things. That was interesting to watch.

His story kind of backed up what seemed obvious already. His leaving was inevitable, the Maloofs just didn't want him anymore. He would have preferred to stay if they wanted him.

If everyone is going to make a big deal about this, lets just vote the Maloofs out and the Kings and bring in a new team with new players and owners? Ok?

Just because people are critical of the decisions and actions of the owners, doesn't mean that the solution is to dump them and bring in somebody else.

Which is of course true of coaches as well.

Bricklayer said:
The "random Joe Blow" is the 2nd most important person in the entire basketball side of the operation -- which last time I checked was what the whole corporation existed for. He was also the ONLY employee they have ever had in that position since they bought the corporation.

No. The Maloofs do not particularly have class. Entirely apart form the cheesy Vegas thing. They play favorites. They are nice so long as they like you. But they do not appear to have any inherent sense of the way you treat people once that's no longer true and they don't have need for you anymore. That would be class -- good or bad, happy or unhappy, knowing how to treat people the right way.
They are business people in the end. Im glad all of you who answered me figured this out. Fans are here to ultimately love the finished product, not the owners. How many NBA cities do you see that the owners are loved. No one cares, so long as they make an effort in giving you the fan something to cheer about. Its not rocket science. The "random Joe blow" can be another guy. I think you need to give whomever a chance.

Last edited:
kingkung said:
From Kings.com:

"Joe manages the Maloof Companies’ nearly 3,500 employees with an open door policy, much like his father did nearly 30 years ago. He also believes in treating customers in a first-class manner and with the utmost respect, and is often seen talking and listening to the fans and customers of the various family businesses."

I guess Rick Adelman wasn't a customer...
No the FANS are their customers.

PFFFT!! said:
They are business people in the end. Im glad all of you who answered me figured this out. Fans are here to ultimately love the finished product, not the owners. How many NBA cities do you see that the owners are loved. No one cares, so long as they make an effort in giving you the fan something to cheer about. Its not rocket science. The "random Joe blow" can be another guy. I think you need to give whomever a chance.
Isn't the point that treating people well is good business? How do they expect to get the best and brightest talents if they build the reputation of treating people poorly?

VF21 said:
If you have a valued employee for eight years and you decide not to renew his contract, you have the balls enough to tell him to his face. You don't go through someone else.

SHAME on Gavin and Joe and the rest of the Maloof family. It's about dignity and respect. They stole Adelman's dignity and they have lost my respect.

What a load of crap.

And to those who hated Adelman and are glad to see him gone, it's not about the decision at all. It's how poorly it was handled.
I wasn't a great Adelman supporter but I totally agree with you VF21 on the way the MaFools handled this. They upset me the way they handled Peja too, letting him find out about being traded on TV. Both Peja and RA deserved better treatment.

I thought the MaFools were different but, alas they're really more into what pleases them and this BS about treating customers right only translates into how to maximize their revenues. If they were really "people" people, they would have shown Rick more class in their handling of this.

Jerryaki said:
1) Joe Blow = Rick Adelman? wow. just, wow.

2) If my CEO were to mess around with my job by saying, "gee, ok, today you'll be managing this guy, and that guy, and that guy, but I'm transferring him tomorrow, and you have to reform this guy..." I'd sure as hell want him to respect me enough to tell me he wants to go in another direction. Fact is, the Maloofs ARE involved in everything the way Cuban is. You don't stick around for the fun parts and leave the crappy parts.
1)When Adelman makes his millions next year, and were still playing well next season under someone else, I will remember you.
2) Maloofs are like Cuban yes, so? They have crappy parts in business as well as good parts. That goes with the territory. They may have not gotten along with Adelman anyhow? Do you know what happened behind closed doors? Can you say Adelman was polite to them or kind and innocent? Really? In the end I dont play favorites. Im neutral. I vote to remain a Sacramento fan because I live in this town. Not become a puppet of either the Maloofs or Adelman and what they say in public. You can lie you know.

hey lets fire the maloofs and maybe we can go back to having jim thomas as the owner and having a crappy franchise, because he ran everything. as far as petrie having to tell adleman, petrie is the MANAGER of the kings just like any store has a manager, his job is to do this. the maloofs own the company and when they tell the manager what they did, that is the way it goes.
I personally don't like the way that this has worked out, but that is the way it has always been with the maloofs since the begining. why would anyone expect anything else?

Mr. SÂŁim Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
PFFFT!! said:
1)When Adelman makes his millions next year, and were still playing well next season under someone else, I will remember you.
:rolleyes:

Gag me.

No matter how much money Adelman makes next season, or who is the head coach of the Kings next season, or how well the Kings are doing, it doesn't change the fact that Adelman was more than just some lowly "Joe Blow supervisor," and he had earned more respect from Joe and Gavin Maloof than they bothered to show him.

Between last offseason and this one, the Maloofs proved themselves to be bush league for how they treated him.

Aside from the unprofessional manner in which RA was dismissed I must also point out that they didn't even follow their own best interests in this situation. With the draft coming up, the summer league participants to be picked and free agents to re-sign/woo you don't cut off your nose to spite your face...meaning, they have not backup plan and are, at this time, rudderless. How can you accomplish the above without knowing who your coach is? They should have had someone in the wings waiting for the season to end, make a professional parting of the ways and immediately sign the new coach to maintain continuity and proceed swiftly in their "new direction". Now we have to wade through how many applicants and generate endless speculation as to the ramifications of each one. Very unprofessional. Makes one wonder if their success is because of their business accumen or in spite of it.

Joe and Gavin,
You make me ashamed to say I am from New Mexico!
Treat the man w/ a little respect. Eight playoff appearences doesn't
get you a phone call? :(

VF21 said:
If you have a valued employee for eight years and you decide not to renew his contract, you have the balls enough to tell him to his face. You don't go through someone else.

SHAME on Gavin and Joe and the rest of the Maloof family. It's about dignity and respect. They stole Adelman's dignity and they have lost my respect.

What a load of crap.

And to those who hated Adelman and are glad to see him gone, it's not about the decision at all. It's how poorly it was handled.
I agree completely. Would have been nice for them to explain it to adelman themselves, and maybe, just maybe, say thank you to him for being a big part of what turned this team around.

Thanks for the transcripts. Kudos to Rick for being a class act all the way around. Shame that the Maloofs can't show some respect to someone who did so much for the team. I am very disappointed in them.

I am reading a lot of post here about how disrespectful and low class the Maloof brother are for handling it this way to which I say fine, that is your opinion. However, I must say this... Adelman's contract was up! They did not fire him, they did not extend his contract, and without knowing exactly what happened behind closed doors we cannot speculate as to wether or not they (the Maloof bros) were hinting at this decision to him towards the end anyway. Besides I, don't know about all of you, saw the writing on the wall this whole season. Now I am not saying that they shouldn't have sat down with Rick because you can argue that that is common curtousy, BUT, again, I don't think Rick is dumb. He had to of had a hint of what was coming. I respect RA very much and think he did Sacramento a hell of a job, I just don't understand all of the hatred for the owners. Let's please be realistic here, they were and are a HUGE reason why the Kings are not bottom feeders like they were 9 years ago. Let's not give all the credit to RA.

It seems obvious to me at this point Petrie is no longer the primary decision maker for the direction this team will go. SWEET! :rolleyes:

The Maloofs are the SINGLE best thing that has happened to this franchise!!

Poor people relation skills aside people should remember that.

PFFFT!! said:
2) Maloofs are like Cuban yes, so? They have crappy parts in business as well as good parts. That goes with the territory. They may have not gotten along with Adelman anyhow? Do you know what happened behind closed doors? Can you say Adelman was polite to them or kind and innocent? Really? In the end I dont play favorites. Im neutral. I vote to remain a Sacramento fan because I live in this town. Not become a puppet of either the Maloofs or Adelman and what they say in public. You can lie you know.
1) so will you still remember me if we're not playing well? don't answer, i don't really care.

as has been pointed out numerous times in the past, rick's got 700+ wins, which isn't an easy feat.

2) a) why do you feel as if putting a good product on the floor and being respectful are mutually exclusive? i don't know what happened behind closed doors, but neither do you. all i know is what happened in public, and in public the maloofs acted like d**ks to RA, and to peja. i don't hate them one way or another, but it's sh*tty what they did, given what the public knows.

2) b) so what you're also saying is that the maloofs may have just gotten rid of him because they didn't like him? valid. but now, is that in the best interest of the team or the best interest of the maloofs?

and congratulations on you not playing favorites, or falling for their ploys and public posturing. the air must be nice up there on your high horse.

Last edited: