Rick's press conference

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Rick is thanking the entire staff (assistant coaches, staff, media guys).

Thanking fans for support and advice (joke).

First few years (here in Sacramento) really special and changed the league. Made him a good coach. Thanks wife and kids. (sounds like he's trying not to cry).

Just going to let things settle down.

Thought team was pretty good at end of season. Not sure about his future and not sure about if there are any openings. Sounds like he's going to take the year off and see what happens. Enjoy the summer and his kids.

Rick had thought about it and thought that there were more reasons for him to come back than not to come back. Decision appears to have been made before the season ended and coming back didn't seem to be a possibility.

Last summer (Phil incident) ended in July with the meeting with the Maloofs and isn't an issue. He felt like he wanted to talk about continuing if they were interested and spoke with GP, about 3 hours later he got the call from GP about their decision.

Sounds like the entire decision was Maloofs and Rick respects their decision - it's their team. They can do what they want.

If they were interested in keeping him, he would have been willing to talk about coming back.

He has not been given an explanation and has not spoken with Maloofs.

He isn't going to beat his head over it. For every reason the Maloofs give, he could probably give 10 for his return.

Wishes the team, players, fans and city well and hopes for the best from this decision for the Kings.

He likes team, direction, sacrificing of SAR and others, young guys playing, he likes it here and was getting excited about this team again - they were turning it around. He's disappointed, but will take a week and be ready to go.

Still willing to take Ron's salary (or half, anyway).

Saw Ron and spoke with him today, give credit to Ron and the rest of the team.

Has not had a sit-down with Joe and Gavin - they mostly went through GP on most issues.

He isn't privy to who is pushing for this decision more (GP, Maloofs, etc.). Doesn't know exactly where the disappointments lay in particular.

Similar to Portland - had a very good team. Started with a makeshift team and built a 55-game winner for multiple years.

This team can resurrect itself without a complete collapse - behind SA, Phx, Dallas the Kings are right there and can have a good year next year and he was excited about next year.

Great coach has to have good players. He would hope that they would talk with Elston about the job. Assistants not the same as the coach they working under. Lots of good coaches that can grow with a good team. This is a good team, and hopes the Kings get a good coach.

You always feel like there are a lot of hits and a long season. Doesn't feel disrespected - they gave him extensions. He feels like he got a raw deal, because he wanted a chance next year. Tough thing to go through and his family, too, but that's coaching.

Good chance they'll stay here for the year (son in school), probably move to Portland eventually with the rest of the family, loves both cities. Sacramento is hotter with less rain about the only real difference.

GP saying Maloofs are going to make a change, thinks support wouldn't be there even if he returned. Not fired, he fulfilled his contract. Much rather they go in a different direction now than him be fired.

Doesn't understand, with the finish they had (if they expected him to beat SA, they would be one of about 6 people in the country - joke). He will watch the team and the players in the future as he feels connected to it.

Been doing this a long time, wondering how he'll feel after a little time has passed. Maybe do some travelling, etc. No workout, draft, summer league, etc, this year but he'll really miss it too.

He'll call Wetzel and get advice from him (what to do after coaching job ends).

If he coaches agian, it will be the right decision and the right place. He's very partial to the west coast (family, etc) - have to be very special for him to go east of the Rockies.

Radio cut out of coverage at this point. I tried to get the gist of the conversation and may have missed a few things, but got the highlights, I think.

Last edited:
Adelman press conference

Just some notes I took...feel free to add or correct anything I typed....

Started out by thanking those from his staff to TV announcers and family.

He had moments where he felt "it was not worth it."

Feels sorry for his assistants because of lack of jobs out there. He owes it to his wife and family to decide what to do. Wants to get his son through his senior year of high school and go from there.

He would have liked to have had a conversation. He thought about and looked at the situation. He spoke to Joe Maloof on the phone on Monday. He believes their decision was made before the playoffs. He said their decision is fine because it's their team.

Talked to Joe for about five minutes. There was a rift about his attitude or what ever it was but it wasn't true. Last summer's meeting was not an issue to Rick. Three hours later he got their resolution as Geoff called Rick to tell him their decision. Rick said you need support from the owners and be on the same page because coaching is such a hard job.

Maloofs decided to go in another direction and if they were sitting on the fence, Rick said it wouldn't feel right. Rick hopes things work out for the Kings.

He was never given an explanation other than Maloofs were going in another direction.

"They moved on, I'm going to move on."

"The fans deserve it (winning franchise)."

"I like the team and the direction we're going....it would be fun to see what we can do...it's disappointing but it will take about a week and I'll be ready to go."

Expressed thanks to Artest and other players. Gave credit to Artest and players who made sacrifices (such as SAR). "They deserve a lot of credit for pushing Spurs to six games."

"I have not had a sit down conversation with Maloofs and that's not uncommon. They would talk to Geoff and he would talk to me...I'm not privy to who pushed for it more...I know we had a discussion about last July and I expressed my opinion on it and we had a nice conversation...they never came to me about how I substituted but that's speculation on my part on what happened..."

"I think it's similar to Portland...we had a very good team...we got upset in the playoffs and had some injuries but I felt that team still had a chance to challenge...I thought they could still win...when I got fired and Geoff left...they tore apart that team...there's a lot of issues to be addressed...it's not a championship team but it has the ability to be a good team...could come together again and be better next year."

"A good coach usually has good players...Larry Brown found that out this year...I would have hoped they talked to Elston...I think it's really wrong but that's my opinion...they just need an opportunity with a good team that they can grow with...like Mike D did in Phoenix."

"I just think the business is what it is (on disrespect)...they have to make their own decision...I have to live with it...I'm not going to go there in a situation like this."

"Yeah, I got a raw deal but I felt I should have been given another opportunity...it's not easy...you're rejected...your family goes through more than you...I got to accept it for what it is."

"There's a good chance we'll stay here through next year (for his son)...I love Sacramento...Portland is so similar...it's just hotter here and it rains there...two great places to live and raise a family."

"I think what Geoff was saying was the Maloofs are going to make a change...I have no contract for next year so I'm not being fired...I'd rather go in another direction rather than be fired."

"Maybe they thought we should have beaten the Spurs. There has to be something else. I think there was an underlying feeling and beat the Spurs...they were ready to make a change."

"I'm sure I'll watch them. I still know the players and people around it. I don't know how much I'll watch but I'll watch."

"It's what I do but it's going to have to be the right place...but I'm not thinking about that right now."

"I'm very partial to the west coast and be close to my family and my kids. It would have to be a real special situation for me to go east of the Rockies."

He wouldn't mind doing other things besides coaching or even with the NBA that might be more unique.

"Things work out for the best and that's how I will approach it."

Coaching college basketball isn't on his to do list because of the recruiting. He feels he is too old.

He appreciates everything the media has done and thanked them.

Went about 30 minutes.

Warhawk, thanks for the recap.

Wow sounds pretty emotional. Although I am excited about the possibilities of going in a new direction, I will miss RA and what he did for this team. He lead us to the top of the mountain, now we need someone to take us over it. Whoever that someone is, will owe a lot of thanks to RA for everything he did to get us there.

Tmassfan4life said:
So, I say again. The maloofs can rot in hell.

Such disrespect. This makes me sick.
Dude, before jumping to conclusions, lets wait to see who they hire. If they hire Don Nelson or Eddie Jordan I will 110% agree with you. But lets wait mmmkuy?

maloofs are now running things. i liked the artest trade, hate the firing of adelman, lets seriously hope now more than ever that this team doesnt relocate

Mr. S£im Citrus

Doryphore of KingsFans.com
Staff member
PFFFT!! said:
Dude, before jumping to conclusions, lets wait to see who they hire. If they hire Don Nelson or Eddie Jordan I will 110% agree with you. But lets wait mmmkuy?
Let's not and say we did.

I don't need to see who the Maloofs hire to decide what I think of them. Just because you agree with their decision to fire Adelman doesn't mean that it wasn't ****ty the way the Maloofs handled it.

Whether you like Adelman, hate him, or are indifferent to him, he deserved to go out better than how they treated him.

I was driving home listening to it and deliberately took the long way so I could hear all of it ;)

It's already been said, but Rick is a real class act. He still called it like it was, but he did it with class and not to maliciously belittle anyone ::coughthemaloofscough::

If he comes on the radio today, I can post a transcript of the interview.

Rick's a big boy and it's the nature of the business when you let someone go...it's never easy. Had to do it myself a few times.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
bozzwell said:
Thanks for the transcript guys.
You bet. That was probably the fastest typing I have ever done, and I'm not that good at touch typing.... ;) Mike was better at getting the quotes - thanks to him from me for getting those as well. I wasn't even going to try.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

I don't need to see who the Maloofs hire to decide what I think of them. Just because you agree with their decision to fire Adelman doesn't mean that it wasn't ****ty the way the Maloofs handled it.

Whether you like Adelman, hate him, or are indifferent to him, he deserved to go out better than how they treated him.
So what did you have in mind? Arco Arena Adelman fan night this weekend? A big "thank you" check for services rendered? Hes had a steady job in the last 8 years and hes done well for most of them. I pledge my allegiance to this team, not one man. My words "hes done great, farewell Rick" are about all Ill give him.

Ryle said:
Rick's a big boy and it's the nature of the business when you let someone go...it's never easy. Had to do it myself a few times.
I agree Ryle. I've seen good, honest people who make millions less than Rick let go from my workplace, and you should see their faces when they have to pack up and leave. I don't see my company throwing a "thanks for the memories" party. :\

At least I know Adelman will make more money elsewhere next year, but some of these people might not be so lucky. So sorry if I don't jump into the sorrow pool, but come on guys, were Kings fans here, there are other candidates. Give people a chance.

Last edited:
PFFFT!! said:
So what did you have in mind? Arco Arena Adelman fan night this weekend? A big "thank you" check for services rendered? Hes had a steady job in the last 8 years and hes done well for most of them. I pledge my allegiance to this team, not one man. My words "hes done great, farewell Rick" are about all Ill give him.

I think just a face to face would have been respectful. Thanks, going another direction, handshake? That too much to ask? He was the head coach for 8 years, not an unimportant random employee.

Mr. S£im Citrus said:

bingo. they could've decided to go in a new direction and still have done it with the proper respect to the man who's brought the franchise to respectability.

they could hire larry jackerbachovich and it still wouldn't make me think they were classy.

Lightforms said:
I think just a face to face would have been respectful. Thanks, going another direction, handshake? That too much to ask? He was the head coach for 8 years, not an unimportant random employee.
That stuff happens behind closed doors or in a telephone call that can happen today or tomorrow. We don't need to know that sort of stuff.

PFFFT!! said:
So sorry if I don't jump into the sorrow pool, but come on guys, were Kings fans here, there are other candidates. Give people a chance.
this isn't about "no new coaches!!!" it's about just respecting our head coach more than letting his good friend/gm give him the news. seriously, you think the maloofs are too important to thank rick themselves?

and yes, i mean more than a five minute phone call.

The fact that the Maloofs didn't even have a sit down with him is absolutely weak. It's lower than weak... It's downright dispicible. What a load of crap it is. If you decide to go another way, that's fine, but at least show some damn respect. Brings the Kings from down in the dumps to 8 straight playoff appearances, and doesn't get the common courtesy of a meeting to tell him what is going on and why. :mad:

PFFFT!! said:
That stuff happens behind closed doors or in a telephone call that can happen today or tomorrow. We don't need to know that sort of stuff.
yep, can probably happen when the maloofs have some time for it. yep, that's respect.

Jerryaki said:
yep, can probably happen when the maloofs have some time for it. yep, that's respect.
The Maloofs are owners of a team. I don't see every CEO sitting down with a Joe Blow supervisor in a company telling him how sorry he is that he's being let go. The last thing any CEO wants is to make a friend out of that situation because thats business. Normally the immediate manager of that person is the one that gives the news. Why is it that the Maloofs have to do everything? This is probably stemming from the Maloofs not putting up cash for a new arena and the stories that they might pack this team and leave? Right?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If you have a valued employee for eight years and you decide not to renew his contract, you have the balls enough to tell him to his face. You don't go through someone else.

SHAME on Gavin and Joe and the rest of the Maloof family. It's about dignity and respect. They stole Adelman's dignity and they have lost my respect.

What a load of crap.

And to those who hated Adelman and are glad to see him gone, it's not about the decision at all. It's how poorly it was handled.