Revisiting Otto Porter

Status
Not open for further replies.
You would think with no 2019 first round pick Vlade has a plan to maximize the win total this year. I hop the plan includes Porter. Porter makes them a playoff team right now. If not Porter we may have to settle for Hezonja. Hezonja would help but not enough to make the playoffs

I like Porter and I would love this trade BUT I think it is pie in the sky dreaming. I think you make great trade suggestions. I just don't think this ine is likely. I would love to see more about young players especially Small Forwards or shooting PF's where we do no have to give up any of our young core players, Maybe I am talking pie in the sky as well

To me our two main targets should be #1 like twslam07 Porter or #2 Nick Vuc from Orlando both are good floor spacers and the thing I really love about Otto he's the ultimate team guy/ball mover as well. If we could get both that would be unreal in terms of opening up the floor for the two guys we should be building around in Fox/BodyBags. I would be prepared to give up both Hield/WCS/whatever else to make it work to get both those guys.

Last edited:
To me our two main targets should be #1 like twslam07 Porter or #2 Nick Vuc from Orlando both are good floor spacers and the thing I really love about Otto he's the ultimate team guy/ball mover as well. If we could get both that would be unreal in terms of opening up the floor for the two guys we should be building around in Fox/BodyBags. I would be prepared to give up both Hield/WCS/whatever else to make it work to get both those guys.
I’m fine with one or the other. I would not be including Buddy in ANY trade talks at this point, he showed too much potential with the development in his game last year as a ball handler, passer, and he is a better defender than I think we all thought he’d be at this point. No way I’d cash out this early on.

At this point, the Kings need to push hard for a trade for Otto Porter.

Bogdanovic/Hield at SG is average defense at best and Bagley at PF is likely below average defense. Our floor spacing is also weak with a projected future lineup featuring Fox, Bagley, and Giles. We desperately need a great defender who is versatile and a great shooter 3pt shooter at SF.

Enter Otto Porter.

The only reason he would be available is because he is on a max contract and the Wizards have topped out as a team while having no cap flexibility. Not to mention they have Oubre as a cheap replacement. Therefore, the trade would be:

SAC GETS: Otto Porter and Ian Mahinmi
WAS GETS: Willie Cauley-Stein, Skal Labissiere, Justin Jackson, & Iman Shumpert

This would still give us around $35 mil in cap space in the 2019 offseason to have the ability to add a max player (no guarantee). Once the 2019 draft is over, we could even potentially use our 2020 1st as incentive for someone to take Mahinmi off our hands. That would give us $50 mil in cap space with these players under contract: Fox, Mason, Bogdanovic, Hield, Porter, Bagley, Giles. That’s potentially a good/great starting 5 and a sixth man while also having room to add a max player and a player in the tier below a max player.

PG - Fox / Mason
SG - Bogdanovic / Hield
SF - Porter / Temple
PF - Bagley / Randolph
C - Giles / Koufos / Mahinmi
Just my opinion but I don’t see Washington dumping Porter for spare parts. Mahinmi is due 16mil this season and about 15mil next season. IMO it would be foolish to give be talent like Porter away for that kind of return. I believe other teams would give better offers, even with getting that contract or the Gortat contract back.

The true test to see if a trade is lopsided is to post it on another teams forum see what you get for a response. If you do share the link maybe I’m totally wrong

Or we can target Oubre since Washington will be 3 max player and will not be able to re-sign, I would propose a framework of 1 youngster+2nd+salary relief.
Just and idea: Skal+Koufos+2nd for Gortat/Mahimi+Oubre

Or we can target Oubre since Washington will be 3 max player and will not be able to re-sign, I would propose a framework of 1 youngster+2nd+salary relief.
Just and idea: Skal+Koufos+2nd for Gortat/Mahimi+Oubre
If GT is gone:

WAS GETS: Shumpert, Skal
Wash wants to shed salary clears 25 mil so they can land Big Cuz, still has Oubre st SF
Kings get Otto

If GT is gone:

WAS GETS: Shumpert, Skal
Wash wants to shed salary clears 25 mil so they can land Big Cuz, still has Oubre st SF
Kings get Otto
Don't think you can do that trade because the salaries aren't even close to matching.

Don't think you can do that trade because the salaries aren't even close to matching.
Yes you are right!

How bout Porter/Gortat 39.5 Mil and Shumpert/WCS 15.7 mil

With GT opting out we should have the 24mil in cap space to make it work
Wash gets 24 mil off books, still has Oubre, Wing/Big for Wing/Big
has money for Big cuz

http://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/

12 man active includes GT 70,382,712 (not including Nigel Hayes-nonguar 1.3 mil)
Dead cap(Barnes,PapaG,Butler ) 4,651,162
13th Sign Bagley 7,243,440
Cap Space with GT 18,722,686
Total Cap 101,000.000

Without GT 26,722,686

Thats why I keep saying If GT opts out we go for Otto, Jabari
If GT opts in then Hezonja and Teodosic (14,15)

Fox,Teodosic,Mason
Bogdan,Buddy,Temple
Hezonja,JJ,Shump
Bagley,Skal,Zbo
Wcs,Giles,KK

There is my starting Roster

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.spotrac.com/nba/sacramento-kings/cap/

12 man active includes GT 70,382,712 (not including Nigel Hayes-nonguar 1.3 mil)
Dead cap(Barnes,PapaG,Butler ) 4,651,162
13th Sign Bagley 7,243,440
Cap Space with GT 18,722,686
Total Cap 101,000.000

Without GT 26,722,686

Thats why I keep saying If GT opts out we go for Otto, Jabari
If GT opts in then Hezonja and Teodosic (14,15)

Fox,Teodosic,Mason
Bogdan,Buddy,Temple
Hezonja,JJ,Shump
Bagley,Skal,Zbo
Wcs,Giles,KK

There is my starting Roster
Teodosic opted in with LAC, didn't he?

Just my opinion but I don’t see Washington dumping Porter for spare parts. Mahinmi is due 16mil this season and about 15mil next season. IMO it would be foolish to give be talent like Porter away for that kind of return. I believe other teams would give better offers, even with getting that contract or the Gortat contract back.

The true test to see if a trade is lopsided is to post it on another teams forum see what you get for a response. If you do share the link maybe I’m totally wrong
It's not just about spare parts, but getting a reset on a team that's completely and totally capped out with 3 max players and really no means of getting any better. If we take Porter and Mahinmi off their hands, in 2019, they're only salary commitments are Wall and Beal on a max deal. And Wall gets insanely expensive in 2019 on his super-max deal.

So we give them a bunch of youth to see if any of it can stick and they get a clean cap sheet and a chance to actually put a winner around Beal and Wall. Who knows, maybe they'll be happy being a luxury tax team to go be .500 again and lose in the first round.

It's not just about spare parts, but getting a reset on a team that's completely and totally capped out with 3 max players and really no means of getting any better. If we take Porter and Mahinmi off their hands, in 2019, they're only salary commitments are Wall and Beal on a max deal. And Wall gets insanely expensive in 2019 on his super-max deal.

So we give them a bunch of youth to see if any of it can stick and they get a clean cap sheet and a chance to actually put a winner around Beal and Wall. Who knows, maybe they'll be happy being a luxury tax team to go be .500 again and lose in the first round.
Don’t see it happening, but I’ll guess will see if Vlade can get this deal done. Do you think it will happen before the start of the season? I just can’t see what people are proposing here as the best deal Washington could get.

Don’t see it happening, but I’ll guess will see if Vlade can get this deal done. Do you think it will happen before the start of the season? I just can’t see what people are proposing here as the best deal Washington could get.
Agreed. As much as we would like it to happen, I don't think it will.

When was the last time a team gave up a good player or a first round pick to dump salary? I can't even think of a recent example.

pdxKingsFan

So Ordinary That It's Truly Quite Extraordinary
Staff member
Since this is apparently about a move for Cousins it seems unfortunately the first barrier here would be why can't WAS trade Porter for a freshly signed Cousins.

I like Porter a lot, but I don't think he's a realistic target. They'll want far more than we are willing to give and that salary is just too much. Oubre on the other hand...

When was the last time a team gave up a good player or a first round pick to dump salary? I can't even think of a recent example.
The Toronto raptors traded Demaree Carroll to the Nets last year and gave up their 2018 first round draft pick to do the salary dump.

It happened a week or two into the free agency period last year, after the Kings already used all their cap space on George Hill and ZBo.

Usually these type of deals tend to happen right at the beginning of free agency, because teams are trying to clear salary for a free agent signing or at the trade deadline to get under the luxury tax.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Washington wants to move Gortat and Jason Smith ideally. That was the original hope. Moved Gortat but didn’t really shed salary. Mahinmi is almost impossible to move.

Man..Porter is on a bad contract..we should just swap him for Willie and save WAS some money. I know they wouldn't do this, but think about it... Washington has a 3&D player on a max contract. That's insane. He's not worth how much he's getting.

Otto Porter is 25 and is still a great asset despite his contract. WCS, Bogi and Zbo probably gets it done. He plugs right into the front line as a solid starter. He plays both sides of the ball and still has tremendous upside as a secondary scorer. If the team could add a Hezonja and a guy like O'Quinn to the mix in free agency this brings back pieces that are at least comparable to the players dealt.

dude12

Hall of Famer
Porter is a nice player but he’s on par with Bogi tbh. Add in the Porter contract and I’m just not down with obtaining him unless they treat it as a semi salary dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.