Reef has knee surgery

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2917713

SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Sacramento Kings forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim underwent cleanup surgery Tuesday on his right knee.

Abdur-Rahim, an 11-year NBA veteran, had loose bodies removed from his knee, the Kings said in a statement. He will require several weeks of recovery, but is expected to be ready for training camp in October.

Abdur-Rahim averaged a career-low 9.9 points and 5.0 rebounds last season for the Kings, who jumped in to sign him as a free agent in 2005 after his right knee failed a physical with the New Jersey Nets. He has a history of knee problems, but played through regular pain and stiffness during 80 games with Sacramento last season.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

We really need a PF now...

Last edited by a moderator:
i suppose this is kinda good news right??

i hoping he can actually move faster, and actually jump like he used to when he shoots..

wishful thinking.... but i hope...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
As much as I did not want Reef when we got him -- wrong style of player and on his way down I argued -- at no point did I really take the Nets' backtracking over supposed knee issues seriously. Thought it was jsut the Nets being the Nets, with divided front office leadership and late panic.

The Nets were right. Who would have thunk? :eek:

As far as trading him, I think this sort of thing wouldn't preclude that, but its strictly as a roleplayer for a good team now. Obviously not going to get anybody else thinking he's going to be their 20-10 savior.

A

AriesMar27

but having knee surgery 2 years after the fact is just sort bad timing... how did the nets know that 2 years later he would have knee surgery?

Also, I'm no doctor, but this sounds like the "clearing out" type of surgery that a lot of players have. Didn't Kobe have this type of surgery in the offseason?

but having knee surgery 2 years after the fact is just sort bad timing... how did the nets know that 2 years later he would have knee surgery?
"The Nets backed out of the deal when a magnetic resonance imaging exam revealed scar tissue in his right knee, and team president Rod Thorn expressed his concern for Abdur-Rahim's long-term health after consulting a number of doctors."

i also think kobe had the same problem and hey it's not the same as Chris Webber's Knee's.. i hope he gets back on track.

Bricklayer

That was precisely their concern actually -- not that there was an acute, immediate, devastating problem, but that his knees were basically scarred up and wearing out and he was going to start to have wear and tear issues. Which is pretty much exactly what we have seen -- he was starting to move liek old Patrick Ewing last year where you can almost hear the creaking. Its not something that instantly ends your career, just a slow deterioration.

Uh did I miss something? I clearly remember during the season someone somewhere saying Reef was having swelling in his knee. I don't think this is very serious.

As much as I did not want Reef when we got him -- wrong style of player and on his way down I argued -- at no point did I really take the Nets' backtracking over supposed knee issues seriously. Thought it was jsut the Nets being the Nets, with divided front office leadership and late panic.

The Nets were right. Who would have thunk? :eek:

As far as trading him, I think this sort of thing wouldn't preclude that, but its strictly as a roleplayer for a good team now. Obviously not going to get anybody else thinking he's going to be their 20-10 savior.
This isn't the issue they had with his knee. Apparently the "issue" was to do with something every team he's played on since high school knew about and accepted without problem. The Net's so called cause for concern was that in 3-5 years down the line Reef's knee could become arthritic.

Bricklayer

This isn't the issue they had with his knee. Apparently the "issue" was to do with something every team he's played on since high school knew about and accepted without problem. The Net's so called cause for concern was that in 3-5 years down the line Reef's knee could become arthritic.

Deton8er already posted the quote (or at least one of them) from that era:

"The Nets backed out of the deal when a magnetic resonance imaging exam revealed scar tissue in his right knee, and team president Rod Thorn expressed his concern for Abdur-Rahim's long-term health after consulting a number of doctors."

Who knows, maybe arthitis is coming too, although I would hope not until he was retired. But either way it was definitely the long term health of the knees that was the issue, and that's precisely what we've started to enocounter here only two years into the contract. If they keep on deteriorating, in a few years he might make Webb look like Kevin.

i dont know why you guys are tripping over the fact that he had a cleanup. Many players have those surgeries to give them more flexibility. SAR might actually come back stronger than his abysmal season last year.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
http://www.sacbee.com/100/story/243029.html

Abdur-Rahim undergoes knee surgery
Sam Amick - Bee Staff Writer
Published 3:50 pm PDT Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Kings forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim underwent surgery Tuesday to remove loose particles from his right knee.

The 11-year veteran is expected to fully recovery from the procedure, which was performed by Dr. Richard Marder at the UC Davis Medical Center.

Abdur-Rahim's agent, Aaron Goodwin, said Abdur-Rahim will be out of action for at least "a few weeks."

The mere potential of knee problems is what led to Abdur-Rahim signing with the Kings as a free agent in 2005. Abdur-Rahim, who averaged 9.9 points and five rebounds in 25.2 minutes last season, had earlier failed a physical given by New Jersey after he'd agreed to a six-year, $38 million deal. The Nets backed out of the deal when a magnetic resonance imaging exam revealed scar tissue in his right knee, and team president Rod Thorn expressed his concern for Abdur-Rahim's long-term health after consulting a number of doctors.

Within days, Abdur-Rahim signed a five-year $29 million deal with the Kings. In two seasons in Sacramento, he has avoided knee problems, though he experiences soreness and frequently ices both knees and wears braces. Goodwin said Abdur-Rahim's current knee problem is not related to the problems that caused concern in the Nets' physical.

----------------------------------------------------------

Okay, so he still HAS the problem the Nets picked up on?

Sorry, but this is beginning to look more and more like an athlete whose actual productive life is nearing its end.

LOL Reef's agent basically just made this look even worse by trying to cover up his knee problems.

Lets face it, the guy's knees are shot and he's nearly done. I wish we never would've signed him even though I like his attitude. Oh well, hindsight's 20/20 or something like that I guess.

It was minor surgery, no big deal. I heard about this on fox40 sports tonight and Jim Crandell said sarcastically, "gee I hope this doesnt affect his quickness and jumping ability" lol

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Sorry, but I disagree. It might be a very big deal. If this surgery was to remove loose particles, there's going to be even MORE scar tissue than previously identified. And scar tissue means the knee will work less efficiently. I'm assuming the surgery was done to alleviate the pain of having things float around in the knee.

Whenever someone with questionable knees has surgery you simply cannot shrug it away.

I wish him all the best but this isn't a walk in the park by any means.

Sorry, but I disagree. It might be a very big deal. If this surgery was to remove loose particles, there's going to be even MORE scar tissue than previously identified. And scar tissue means the knee will work less efficiently. I'm assuming the surgery was done to alleviate the pain of having things float around in the knee.

Whenever someone with questionable knees has surgery you simply cannot shrug it away.

Not to mention the fact that NJ's problem was with his right knee and that's the same knee he's having surgery on. Correct me if I'm wrong but it's the same area also right?

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I immediately envisioned a bad sci-fi movie with a little tiny submarine and people who went into the blood stream, got trapped and ended up as "loose bodies" in the knee area...

I think I really need to quit watching old movies on late night TV.

Now I know they said he will be ready by training camp but this always annoys me....if you are gonna have surgery in the offseason why not do it as soon as the season was over just to be sure that its healed in time. He should have had surgery as soon as our season was over, we didnt make the playoffs so thats even more time to heal. I hate it when players dont get surgery till a few weeks or month into the offseason and then they are not ready by training camp.

Bricklayer

i dont know why you guys are tripping over the fact that he had a cleanup. Many players have those surgeries to give them more flexibility. SAR might actually come back stronger than his abysmal season last year.
Doesn't normally work that way unfortunately: this is not a catastrophic procedure, or anything approaching that. More of a maintenance thing. But its maintenance on a pair of deteriorating joints. Some guys have to have these things semi-regularly, but it doesn't fix anything in dramatic fashion. Just prevents the knees from finally locking up and allows the player to linger a few more years. I'm not overly concerened about this because its more a symptom, than the disease itself. Reef has deteriorating knees, hence he is now having the relatively minor knee surgery aging guys with deteriorating knees often have. Neither indicates an immediate career-threatening problem, nor any dramatric fix. Just maintenance of his already declining position. Chances are, the way these things go, he'll probably have to have another one in a year or two, and then another, and then another, until he finally retires.

The scar tissue in question has been there since Reef's original surgery when he was in high school. The scar tissue isn't a new thing, it's quite old.