Rashard/#10/Fortson for Marion/#27/Barbosa?

They must need more 3 pt shooting, I guess. At 10 they'll take JJ Redick, btw. That's more more 3 pt shooting.
I hope that isn't true, if only for the Suns' sake. They don't need three-point shooting that badly, especially if they have to take the defensive hit of having Reddick and Nash on the floor at the same time.

As others have said, if Marion wants out, getting Lewis back isn't too bad. Don't know why the Suns would have to throw in Barbosa as well (other than for salary matching purposes).

As for Marion, he's a unique talent for certain (his rebounding at his size is what sets him apart most, imho), but he's been blessed to play with two of the best PGs of his generation in Kidd and Nash. He cannot create his own shot opportunities, and his three point shot is dependent upon being completely wide open.

I actually don't mind this too much for the suns. I think that either they would draft an athletic big men like Cedric Simmons, a big post player like Pat O'bryant, or a PG like Randy Foye that they think Nash can tutor and that way they get a successor for Steve. I honestly doubt the suns send Barbosa at all.

I think this kind of handi-caps Boris Diaw because Marion's alley oops and Barbosa's 3s get him a lot of assists and Lewis will create his own shot. I mean I don't really see Diaw giving Amare those alley oops because Amare's coming off microfracture that made him miss a whole season and he'll be missing some athleticism. Nash&Diaw ran the pick and roll well so I guess that's still an option for him. He ran the pick and roll well with Marion too so maybe that will work with Amare.

It seems to me like the suns are preparing for the future after Nash. I mean they have ATL's draft pick in 07, they might get this pick, they have the laker's pick this year, they have their pick this year, and of course they have their own 07 pick. That is a lot of first rounders... Also Barbosa and Diaw are both young. If Amare comes back with some better post defense(which is a skill he can learn) and he still has some athleticism and his J they'll definitely be good for years to come.

By early this evening, the Seattle SuperSonics will know what the hours upon hours of scouting, debating and bargaining have rendered from this NBA draft.
As draft day approached, the Sonics’ decision-makers holed up in their practice facility and tried to get closer to a consensus on which player they will take with the 10th pick – assuming they keep the 10th pick, their highest since selecting Gary Payton with the second pick in 1990.

In reality, the Sonics would like to trade down in the draft and get multiple picks for next season. They were hoping that a trade partner could be found who wanted a player high enough in the lottery to give up something to leapfrog ahead.

As the Sonics discussed swapping the 10th and 21st picks with Phoenix, another possibility was raised: Along with the picks, trading principals Rashard Lewis for Shawn Marion, with Danny Fortson thrown in for salary cap purposes. The Suns’ Leandro Barbosa also could be involved.

There are six teams in the draft – Portland, Chicago, Phoenix, New York, New Jersey and New Orleans – with multiple picks in the first round, and that is likely where the Sonics are focusing their discussions.

However, they may have to get another team involved if they are to gain a pick in next summer’s draft, which some consider one of the strongest in 20 years.

The Lewis-for-Marion trade is a deal the Sonics likely would make, according to sources, but the snag is that Fortson has a negative history with Suns president Jerry Colangelo.

When Fortson played for Dallas, he broke the wrist of Phoenix rookie Zarko Cabarkapa. Colangelo called Fortson a “thug,” which prompted Fortson to sue Colangelo for defamation.

That, according to sources, is the primary problem, though the talks are not dead.

The Sonics would likely trade Lewis because they are uncertain if he will be with the franchise for the long term. He has said he will opt out of his contract after next season, and he would like a significant raise.

The Sonics will offer him an extension this September, but it is unclear if Lewis will accept or will want to become an unrestricted free agent and test the market.

Marion is attractive because he fits into the Sonics’ uptempo style, which is similar to the Suns’, and because he is a better rebounder than Lewis, who averaged 5.5 a game last season.

If no deal is made, and the Sonics keep their pick, they are focusing on power forwards or shooting guards, but also could take Mouhamed Sene Saer, a 7-foot center from Senegal.

The Sonics are protecting against possibly losing Chris Wilcox, a restricted free agent this summer, the reason they would draft a power forward. The top forwards likely to be available with the 10th pick are Cedric Simmons and Rodney Carney. If Duke’s Shelden Williams is still available, they likely would take him.

The Sonics are looking at shooting guards to protect against injury to Ray Allen, and because they would like another perimeter shooter. If Villanova’s Randy Foye has not been drafted, they would give him strong consideration. Other possibilities are Ronnie Brewer and J.J. Redick, though Redick disclosed on Tuesday that he has a herniated disc.

If the Sonics were able to trade down to somewhere between the 17th and 25th picks, the players they would focus on are, in no particular order, Maurice Ager and Shannon Brown from Michigan State; Kentucky’s Rajon Rondo; Kyle Lowry from Villanova; Rutgers guard Quincy Douby; and foreigners Oleksiy Pecherov (Ukraine) and Thabo Sefolosha (Switzerland).

Regardless of who the Sonics select, they say that player is not likely to see a great deal of playing time next season. The majority of work on the roster was done in February, when three trades were made, and the Sonics think they are two players deep at each position.
http://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/sonic...p-5213267c.html

I was thinking "what connection does Fortson have to Phoenix?", then do remember that wrist injury to Zarko. I thought it was recently in one of those wild Suns/Sonics games recently, though.

Could still have an effect on the Suns.

R

Rome

its not that bad for the suns as some ppl say it is. Rashard Lewis can play the run and gun game up to perfection and can shoot the three even better than Marion. He didn't utilize his run and gun much because Seattle plays him in a different system. He can also rebound well and play in the post but that was also limited in Seattle. So its a fair trade for both teams. Plus this will help Phoenix get rid of his contract and get an expiring contract in return so they can sign other players like Diaw in the future.