[Game] Raptors @ Kings Game Thread

I'm worried about Tyreke's bbal IQ he should be creating and probing with that penetrating ability but instead he always tries to go straight to the hoop, does not have the arsenal of floaters or post game/fancy footwork yet, hopefully he improves
I've seen Tyreke penetrating and kicking out to the open man tons so far. Not sure how you've missed this...(much like the shooters getting these passes have been missing their shots, cept for casspi last game)

Where his IQ has been slipping is when he decides to test out his improved outside shooting at inopportune times.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I've seen Tyreke penetrating and kicking out to the open man tons so far. Not sure how you've missed this...(much like the shooters getting these passes have been missing their shots, cept for casspi last game)

Where his IQ has been slipping is when he decides to test out his improved outside shooting at inopportune times.
The keyword here is improved ;)

Although Reke sees guys for kickouts he has room to improve on the pass itself. Often it doesn't go straight to the guy's chest. I always see Casspi catching it around his ankles

Yes, he's been kicking it out a lot more this season so far. The next thing he needs to do, though, for that to be effective, is work on the timing and quality of the pass. Often times he starts the drive with very little time left on the clock, which doesn't leave the shooter much time to make a decision about whether to shoot or swing the ball, which is partially the reason they miss a lot of these shots. Also, like mac mentioned above me, the quality of his pass leaves something to be desired at this point.

The other thing, which leads to the problem mentioned above, is that he always plays in the same pace. He always walks up the ball, never tries to speed things up and catch the other team off guard. Even when he gets the ball up the court he still allows more time for the defense to settle by dribbling down the shot clock, and nearly always makes the same play (drive through the defense for a layup or kickout). Yes, it's hard to guard him even when you know what he's going to do, but when you're that predictable, good teams will always find a way to contain you, and ultimately we want to be in a position to battle the good teams in the playoffs. This is the thing that puzzles me the most, and one of the reasons I've been so critical of Westphal lately - does Westphal think that this is an acceptable offensive strategy? I mean, I am sure if Westphal told Tyreke to change the pace every once in a while, and run a slightly more sophisticated offense, he would at least try to do it. The relationship between PW and Tyreke doesn't strike me as such that Tyreke defies clear instructions from the coach. So the other option is that these are PW's instructions to Tyreke - walk the ball up the court every time and run the same play. It just puzzles me that these would be the instructions coming from an NBA coach (and one with a winning record).

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Did anyone notice in the Cavs game the difference in the two benches? The Kings were totally into it. When the Cavs were even up big they just sat there. I wonder if they still have LBJ hangover. Will be interesting to see the Toronto esprit de corps or lack thereof...

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Yes, he's been kicking it out a lot more this season so far. The next thing he needs to do, though, for that to be effective, is work on the timing and quality of the pass. Often times he starts the drive with very little time left on the clock, which doesn't leave the shooter much time to make a decision about whether to shoot or swing the ball, which is partially the reason they miss a lot of these shots. Also, like mac mentioned above me, the quality of his pass leaves something to be desired at this point.

The other thing, which leads to the problem mentioned above, is that he always plays in the same pace. He always walks up the ball, never tries to speed things up and catch the other team off guard. Even when he gets the ball up the court he still allows more time for the defense to settle by dribbling down the shot clock, and nearly always makes the same play (drive through the defense for a layup or kickout). Yes, it's hard to guard him even when you know what he's going to do, but when you're that predictable, good teams will always find a way to contain you, and ultimately we want to be in a position to battle the good teams in the playoffs. This is the thing that puzzles me the most, and one of the reasons I've been so critical of Westphal lately - does Westphal think that this is an acceptable offensive strategy? I mean, I am sure if Westphal told Tyreke to change the pace every once in a while, and run a slightly more sophisticated offense, he would at least try to do it. The relationship between PW and Tyreke doesn't strike me as such that Tyreke defies clear instructions from the coach. So the other option is that these are PW's instructions to Tyreke - walk the ball up the court every time and run the same play. It just puzzles me that these would be the instructions coming from an NBA coach (and one with a winning record).
It should probably be pointed out at this juncture that the Kings are currently 4th in the NBA in scoring, 9th in FG%, and 6th in assists. And that's with two crunchtime flameouts meaning all those stats have come in about 45min of action rather than 48. 3 games isn't much of a sample, but you would not typically acuse a team averaging 108ppg of a shoddy offense.

Should be noted btw that we have also allowed 108ppg on defense, and are 4th WORST in that stat, and 2nd worst in Opp FG%. That is where the problem lies.

Last edited:

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Last edited:
Gotta stop Bargnani, hes been there key contributor scoring 20+ in their two games. Hardly rebounds the ball though and we should look to go inside as much as possible

It should probably be pointed out at this juncture that the Kings are currently 4th in the NBA in scoring, 9th in FG%, and 6th in assists. And that's with two crunchtime flameouts meaning all those stats have come in about 45min of action rather than 48. 3 games isn't much of a sample, but you would not typically acuse a team averaging 108ppg of a shoddy offense.

Should be noted btw that we have also allowed 108ppg on defense, and are 4th WORST in that stat, and 2nd worst in Opp FG%. That is where the problem lies.
Should also be noted that we accumulated these stats playing Minnesota, New Jersey, and the Cavs...

I'm worried about Tyreke's bbal IQ he should be creating and probing with that penetrating ability but instead he always tries to go straight to the hoop, does not have the arsenal of floaters or post game/fancy footwork yet, hopefully he improves
It's almost like he's a newish player, not exactly a rookie per se, but something close. I too share your concern.

There is alot of pressure on reke right now after having that amazing rookie season, so im going to give him the benefit of the doubt for now. He will get back to that dominant player we all know he can be.

As for tonight

Gotta stop bargs and kleiza. They are going to rain threes if we dont get up on them. I can see boogie having some trouble with bargs on defence. which ever teams defends better will win this one. Id like to see Cousins utilized a bit more in this one, he will be able to eat bargs up on offense. I've watched a cuple raps games and they like to get out in transition, I think our size,rebounding and defense should win this one for us tho.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Defense Anyone?

The book on the Kings is to run the hell out them. 67 points in a half allowed against Cleveland? Plueese.. Cleveland ran on Kings after made baskets. That shows the "respect" they had for their transition D. Tyreke, Cousins, Landry - all of them played lazy, lazy basketball. When OKC made the commitment to defend, they had a huge jump in wins. Hard to do that though if the best player you have plays lazy. Durant sets the tone at OKC. Tyreke sets the tone with the Kings. When will Kings finally commit to D? This week, this month, this year? Kings will get absolutely walloped by good teams if they continue to play D like this.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat
Should also be noted that we accumulated these stats playing Minnesota, New Jersey, and the Cavs...
Sure, but that's more of an astersisk next to ourt record than our offense -- many bad teams are bad defensively, but that group as a whole has been about average so far this season; Ranked 10th, 15th and 22nd in ppg against so far this season, and that's with us scoring 108ppg against them. Two of the three have coaches who focus a lot on defense too (Avery and Scott). Its so early that could all change obviosuly, but I would guess that we probably scored more points against them than anybody else has yet, on their home floors.

Sure, but that's more of an astersisk next to ourt record than our offense -- many bad teams are bad defensively, but that group as a whole has been about average so far this season; Ranked 10th, 15th and 22nd in ppg against so far this season, and that's with us scoring 108ppg against them. Two of the three have coaches who focus a lot on defense too (Avery and Scott). Its so early that could all change obviosuly, but I would guess that we probably scored more points against them than anybody else has yet, on their home floors.
I would also point out that most teams tend to average 3-4 pts more a game at home than on the road. They also tend to play better defensively at home as well. With so many homes games the next couple of months, I guess we will find out.

Plunked down for some nice lower level seats for this one. Haven't been in the lower level since '07...really looking forward to tonight's game. Let's get'em Kings!

K

Kingsguy881

Plunked down for some nice lower level seats for this one. Haven't been in the lower level since '07...really looking forward to tonight's game. Let's get'em Kings!
I'm gonna be in 122 tonite. My pops got me tix to see CP3 on the 21st. Row C!!! Thats gonna be a good one!!

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Just found out I should be able to be in a box for tonight's game, at least long enough to watch a bit of the Giants before the game and grab some food. Maybe hang out there for the game too, not sure at this point. Should be fun. The seats I bought should also have a good view, so no complaints either way!

Entity

Hall of Famer
can anybody confirm for me that the games are on CSN on diretv and not blackedout? Just wondering if i got league pass for no reason.

Sitting in Arco right now watching Reke and D Jackson warm up, Beno sign autographs and the Giants game on the jumbo screen. My nephew is so excited, his first game :D

Sigh, Leaguepass Broadband is showing the Raptors boradcast. Is there some option I'm missing to select the Kings broadcast?

Ugh I hate listening to Leo Rautins calling Raptor games when I could be listening to Jack Armstrong in his place, especially in combination with Matt Devlin.