Questions on draft selections

It looks like alot of questions but it isn't. Most are yes and no questions and it's your choice to expand further. Some are the same questions that you don't even have to answer again unless you feel you have to. If you still feel there are too many questions to answer choose at least one or two players you wouldn't mind answering. Take your time there is no need to rush.
Things to take into consideration when answering some questions. Most feel we need a starting small forward and/or power forward. Most also feel the Maloofs won't spend in free agency therefore if were serious about upgrading the small forward and power forward positions we might have to trade some players and the players that have the most value are Reke, Thornton and our 1st rd. pick. When answering the power forward questions include your thoughts what we should do with Jason Thompson as he is a restricted FA.

#1: MKG is drafted
Q1. Does he automatically become our starting small forward? If you answered "no" skip to Q3.
Q2. That would mean one of Reke, Thornton or IT has to go to the bench. Which one goes to the bench?
Q3. Because we missed out on a power forward in the draft what do we do about our power forward position?
Q4. Would you have preferred trading the pick over selecting this player?

#2: Drummond is drafted
Q1. Does he automatically become our starting power forward/center?
Q2. Because we missed out on a small forward in the draft what do we do about our small forward position?
Q3. Would you have preferred trading the pick over selecting this player?

#3: Robinson is drafted
Q1. Does he automatically become our starting power forward?
Q2. If you haven't answered #2:, Q2 or you feel you have to answer it again because of the player difference, Please answer that question.
Q3. Would you have preferred trading the pick over selecting this player?

#4: Barnes is drafted
Q1. Does he automatically become our starting small forward?
Q2. If you answered "yes" and havent answered #1:, Q2. Please answer that question.
Q3. If you haven't answered #1:, Q3 or you feel you have to answer it again because of the player difference, Please answer that question.

#5: Henson is drafted
Q1. If Davis, MKG, Drummond and Robinson were off the board and Petrie decided to go with Henson over Beal, Barnes or another player, How would you feel about that selection?
Q2. If you haven't answered #2:, Q1, Please answer that question.
Q3. If you haven't answered #2:, Q2 or you feel you have to answer it again because of the player difference, Please answer that question.

If you're going to put together a comprehensive set of questions, you should also answer the questions yourself so people can have an idea of what you're looking for.

With that said, I'll answer them and keep them brief.

#1 MKG
Q1. MKG would be our starting SF if we drafted him.
Q2. Thornton and IT should both go to the bench. We should resign Terrence Williams to start at the SG next to Tyreke.
Q3. Draft Ezeli if he's there in the 2nd round. Or Withey, O'Quinn or Bernard James if Ezeli isn't available. The other option is to trade for another late lottery pick to select Myers Leonard. (Assets to be used for trading might be: 2nd round pick, IT, Jimmer, or worst case Thornton)
Q4. No. If MKG is available he's the best use of the #5 pick.

#2 Drummond
Q1. No. If JT is re-signed Drummond should come off the bench for the 1st part of the season. Hopefully he'd close the season as a starter. If JT isn't resigned, then Hayes could start for the first few games.
Q2. You make a trade and draft Jeffrey Taylor who should still be available around 12/14. Assets would include 2nd round pick, Jimmer, IT, Garcia's expiring, and as a last resort Thornton.
Q3. Undecided. If Petrie is willing to draft him, then I have to have faith that Drummond will get his act together and become an impact player. So for that reason I would be ok with not trading the pick.

#3 Robinson
Q1. If we re-sign JT then No. Robinson's rebounding/hustle/energy/athleticism is going to translate, but I would prefer JT to start for the first few games. If we don't re-sign JT then start Robinson.
Q2. Same answer for acquiring a SF. Go get a mid-1st round pick and get Jeffrey Taylor who is a 4-year player and can come and start right away.
Q3. I would not trade the #5 pick, if I could get Robinson. He's going to be an impact player.

#4 Barnes
Q1. Yes, Barnes would start right away.
Q2. Again both IT and Thornton go to the bench, or could be traded to pick up a late lottery pick to allow us to select Myers Leonard.
Q3. Same answer as before. Pick up a role-playing defensive big in the 2nd round, or use assets to get late lottery pick for Leonard.
Q4. If I could swing a trade with Houston I would. I'd like to use #5 and assets to either get Lowry + Jeff Taylor, or get both Houston's lottery picks and hopefully get Taylor and Myer's Leonard. I would also trade the pick if I could pick up a veteran SF such as Iggy.

#5 Henson
Q1. Do not want Henson at all. He weighs 215 pounds which will not work as an interior starting PF. It will take him years to put on the necessary muscle to be able to compete and he may never be able to do it. They tried to play him at SF due to his weight and that didn't work. He's an interior player with-out the ability to be able to compete in the interior against NBA size/strength.
Q2.
Q3.
Q4. Henson will not be selected with the 5th pick. There are too many other prospects who are simply better than him, and yes I'd rather trade the pick for almost anything before selecting Henson with the 5th pick.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
If you're going to put together a comprehensive set of questions, you should also answer the questions yourself so people can have an idea of what you're looking for.

#1 MKG
Q2. Thornton and IT should both go to the bench. We should resign Terrence Williams to start at the SG next to Tyreke.
Q3. Draft Ezeli if he's there in the 2nd round. Or Withey, O'Quinn or Bernard James if Ezeli isn't available. The other option is to trade for another late lottery pick to select Myers Leonard. (Assets to be used for trading might be: 2nd round pick, IT, Jimmer, or worst case Thornton)

#2 Drummond
Q1. No. If JT is re-signed Drummond should come off the bench for the 1st part of the season. Hopefully he'd close the season as a starter. If JT isn't resigned, then Hayes could start for the first few games.
Q2. You make a trade and draft Jeffrey Taylor who should still be available around 12/14. Assets would include 2nd round pick, Jimmer, IT, Garcia's expiring, and as a last resort Thornton.
Q3. Undecided. If Petrie is willing to draft him, then I have to have faith that Drummond will get his act together and become an impact player. So for that reason I would be ok with not trading the pick.

#3 Robinson
Q1. If we re-sign JT then No. Robinson's rebounding/hustle/energy/athleticism is going to translate, but I would prefer JT to start for the first few games. If we don't re-sign JT then start Robinson.
Q2. Same answer for acquiring a SF. Go get a mid-1st round pick and get Jeffrey Taylor who is a 4-year player and can come and start right away.
Q3. I would not trade the #5 pick, if I could get Robinson. He's going to be an impact player.

#4 Barnes
Q2. Again both IT and Thornton go to the bench, or could be traded to pick up a late lottery pick to allow us to select Myers Leonard.
Q3. Same answer as before. Pick up a role-playing defensive big in the 2nd round, or use assets to get late lottery pick for Leonard.
Q4. If I could swing a trade with Houston I would. I'd like to use #5 and assets to either get Lowry + Jeff Taylor, or get both Houston's lottery picks and hopefully get Taylor and Myer's Leonard. I would also trade the pick if I could pick up a veteran SF such as Iggy.

#5 Henson
Q1. Do not want Henson at all. He weighs 215 pounds which will not work as an interior starting PF. It will take him years to put on the necessary muscle to be able to compete and he may never be able to do it. They tried to play him at SF due to his weight and that didn't work. He's an interior player with-out the ability to be able to compete in the interior against NBA size/strength.
Q2.
Q3.
Q4. Henson will not be selected with the 5th pick. There are too many other prospects who are simply better than him, and yes I'd rather trade the pick for almost anything before selecting Henson with the 5th pick.
What to you think?

Me personally, it's too hard to tell before free agency or any possible draft day trades. Just way too many "what-ifs". My guess would be MKG would start, Barnes has a good shot at starting, and the three bigs it's up in air as we don't know if JT is coming or going, or if they'd be drafted here to step in next to Cuz, come off the bench behind JT, or come of the bench next to a player who's yet to be named/acquired.

Thinking more about this, if Drommond were to have a good workout, we draft him and he came in motivated, I could see him starting whether JT is here or not and he has the talent to do so. As we all know, the question is his drive. Henson I'd wager would come off the bench and will need more time to adjust to the physicality of the league. I think Henson mentally is more prepared for the NBA game than Drummon while his body isn't near as prepared for the NBA game as Drummond. But again, this it pre-workouts and is pretty tough to answer at this point. For all I know Drummond after escaping Calhoon could be ready both mentally and physically to step in and start from day one, and Hensons body might prove to not be as much of a worry as I think it might.

Last edited:

#1 MKG

#2 Drummond

#3 Robinson

#4 Barnes

#5 Henson
Q2.
Q3.
I agree 100%. I'd give the same answers.