Preseason Kings vs. Jazz

Doc Rivers imo basically cost the Clippers a title when he cut Joe Ingles like 3 or so years ago he was exactly what they needed at SF a good defender, elite shooter and a 3rd playmaker to go with Cp3/Blake.

We have not changed anything about the way the Kings play from last season history is just on repeat mode.
It won’t change till Joerger is gone

On paper (and in reality) the Jazz second unit is probably better than the best line up we could put out, even 3rd stringers like Thabo would probably be our starting SF, also Allen would probably get significant burn as well.

Exum
Burks
Oneale
Crowder
Udoh (more a 3rd stringer since Favors/Goberts mins are staggered)

Get ready for a long, miserable season of cliches (excuses): "It's a process." "Baby steps." "Just a piece or two away." "There's light at the end of the tunnel." "Kings are not as bad as their record." And worse of all get to hear Grant Napear spout off the company approved list of endless excuses.

30 wins would be miracle after last seasons 27.

Well I already signed up for the NBA channel so I can at least watch the kings a few times.
But living in Ohio and I can at least turn the tv off at half time and be in bed by midnight.

I really believe Bagley will be very good. Having said that ?

I find it very hard to take that with all the so called shooters why are they always on the teams we play against. Last night couldn’t anybody in a kings uniform hit a open shot.

sad state and who is allowing them to run a offense that resembles a all star game without a all star.

Somebody needs to go!!

Disappointing performance. No way around that.
But... when you have a game where you shoot that poorly (as a team), it makes you look worse than you really are. I’ve been around long enough to have seen it countless times: the team has a bad game and everyone/everything takes a hit. Players. Coaching staff. Management. There are cracks in the foundation and the sky is falling! But then, like a miracle, the team hits their shots in the next game and everything looks different. Pitchforks are put away for another day.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t get frustrated and express ourselves when they come out and perform embarrassingly. But conclusions and decisions need to be made with more info than one bad game gives you. Unless you just like the way it feels to wave a pitchfork.

Last edited:
One of the worst performances I can remember. On a night when the Kings struggled on offense, you would hope they would use their defense to stay in the game. They gave up 71 points in the half and 131. They are going to struggle to win 20 games if their defense does not improve.

I am haunted by the comments by Van Gundy watching the Kings a few games ago when he made reference to the fundamentals of 'committing to defense and moving the ball willingly on offense, not as a last resort. " He summed two the of the Kings' biggest faults in one sentence.

Bagley and Giles are going to help but they cannot do it alone. Coach needs to have a long conversation with himself and make some course corrections or he will not last.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yes. If you're going to play a fast athletic type of game, do it on defense too. Pressure the ball constantly on defense to create easy baskets. Run the other teams out of the gym.

I'm not usually one to go this route this early in the season, but it's starting to look like a classic case of a GM and coach who's gotten a team to a certain point but may not be able to push them over the hump.
I hate to say it, but I'm really having doubts about Joerger. Pressuring the ball with this young athletic team seems elementary to me, just as it is to Christie. This isn't the first instance where we didn't see the Kings' quick guards pressuring in the back court. It just doesn't make sense to me.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Yeah, but apparently that's going to also be a spot where Buddy, Bagley, and Bjelica play. If he plays then they need to move on from whoevers minutes he's taking over. Attempt to salvage some value because if Iman Shumpert is taking your role with where the Kings are at, you're toast. You're obviously not losing a ton on Mason or Jackson fading from the lineup but it's still players on longer terms deals vs. a player in a contract year.
I hope apparently not. The Kings need a legit defender who can guard the best offensive 2 or 3 of the opposing team, and it's Shumpert or bust on that score.

gunks

Hall of Famer
LaVine is an offensive star. I have no clue why there were so many fans here adamantly against him.. He's put up at least 20pts in 3 out of 4 preseason games. This was the biggest move that I loved from Vlade this offseason.
If we didn't already have Buddy and Bogs (and now apparently Fox) holding down the 2, there probably wouldn't have been as many against the signing.

Vlade needs to balance this roster out. Not having any real SFs for this long is a joke.

I hate to say it, but I'm really having doubts about Joerger. Pressuring the ball with this young athletic team seems elementary to me, just as it is to Christie. This isn't the first instance where we didn't see the Kings' quick guards pressuring in the back court. It just doesn't make sense to me.
And to pour salt into that wound, Utah pressuring in back court relentlessly especially knowing very mobile shot blocking center underneath the basket. Kings enough glaring holes you'd think EFFORT on defensive end would be one thing they could hang their hat on but with that missing could be pathetically unwatchable this season.

On the bright side. Bagley had 17 and 8 off of sheer effort alone. I don't know if the coaches took the chains off or he decided he is going to do what he wants, but he played more in the post and did the types of things he did in college to get his points. He threw in a coast to coast layup with his right hand and a attempted right hand hook to shut the critics up. You now are seeing the flashes. I think it was unfortunate that the coaching staff appeared to try to reign him in and change his game way too early. Yes, develop the outside shot, but don't take away what got him this far in the process.

There is too much young talent on this team to score a measly 16 points halfway through the 2nd quarter. As much as I'm over Willie, I'd rather see Dave Jeorger shipped out first. Also, Fox was the fastest kid coming out of the draft, when will this guy get to run? Such a shame.

Got a little frustrated yesterday, but got over it. Joerger is going to have to know where to put his point of emphasis this season. I don't mind the high post offense as much as some. You're going to have to be able to score in the half court at some point and it can't all be flashy. The problem that I have is that we are spending too much time in the half court because the other team is scoring on every possession. Kings can't get out and run. Emphasis should be on defense and forcing turnovers. That would fit into the type of offensive players we have in Bagley, WCS and Fox. A defensive minded coaching staff would unlock this teams true potential.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Got a little frustrated yesterday, but got over it. Joerger is going to have to know where to put his point of emphasis this season. I don't mind the high post offense as much as some. You're going to have to be able to score in the half court at some point and it can't all be flashy. The problem that I have is that we are spending too much time in the half court because the other team is scoring on every possession. Kings can't get out and run. Emphasis should be on defense and forcing turnovers. That would fit into the type of offensive players we have in Bagley, WCS and Fox. A defensive minded coaching staff would unlock this teams true potential.
They seem way too passive to me. To me, they've got to JUMP the guard coming off of a pick and not let him have the easy space to throw up lobs to the rolling Gobert. The Kings guards just aren't aggressive enough it seems to me. They've got the talent to swarm and pressure, but instead they back off. Joerger seems like he is coaching them like they are in fact a bigger, taller, slower team than the team they actually are - quick, mobile, athletic and fast.

Disappointing performance. No way around that.
But... when you have a game where you shoot that poorly (as a team), it makes you look worse than you really are. I’ve been around long enough to have seen it countless times: the team has a bad game and everyone/everything takes a hit. Players. Coaching staff. Management. There are cracks in the foundation and the sky is falling! But then, like a miracle, the team hits their shots in the next game and everything looks different. Pitchforks are put away for another day.
I’m not saying we shouldn’t get frustrated and express ourselves when they come out and perform embarrassingly. But conclusions and decisions need to be made with more info than one bad game gives you. Unless you just like the way it feels to wave a pitchfork.
There's a bad game and then there's this last "game" at home no less. This was an ominous look. The team and coaching better get their collective butts in gear and look to kick some butt. There's losing competitively and then......I dunno about pitchforks but maybe a peace-out. They play this same team Jazz team at home to start the season as if they need motivation.

One of the worst performances I can remember. On a night when the Kings struggled on offense, you would hope they would use their defense to stay in the game. They gave up 71 points in the half and 131. They are going to struggle to win 20 games if their defense does not improve.

I am haunted by the comments by Van Gundy watching the Kings a few games ago when he made reference to the fundamentals of 'committing to defense and moving the ball willingly on offense, not as a last resort. " He summed two the of the Kings' biggest faults in one sentence.

Bagley and Giles are going to help but they cannot do it alone. Coach needs to have a long conversation with himself and make some course corrections or he will not last.
To be fair Bogi does this also as does Beli. Buddy tried just not sure he sees the game well enough to do more.

Giles has 12points 3boards 2assits 3steals and shot 4/7 in 17 minuets, the kid needs to play more
It’s a back to back. He maybe playing less for a reason. Also, and I’m sure Harry would agree, he did not play as well defensively as he should have. I think if the knees affect him anywhere it’s defensively and he is going to have to adjust as he may not be able to do what he once could. Harry is a high IQ player so I am confident he will figure it out.

I hope apparently not. The Kings need a legit defender who can guard the best offensive 2 or 3 of the opposing team, and it's Shumpert or bust on that score.
Buddy started at SF last night. It didn't look that bad TBH but that might have been mainly because the Kings offense is so totally broken when a real team shuts down the painted area.

It’s a back to back. He maybe playing less for a reason. Also, and I’m sure Harry would agree, he did not play as well defensively as he should have. I think if the knees affect him anywhere it’s defensively and he is going to have to adjust as he may not be able to do what he once could. Harry is a high IQ player so I am confident he will figure it out.
He was apart of the "Gobert dunk party" as he just got smoked on 2 or 3 PnR plays where he was flat out of position. Noticed too that his reaction times on some defensive plays are just plain slow. So maybe you nailed it here: he's learning to adjust to his new body and limitations and hasn't quite figured out his reaction types or how quick his body can adjust.

I don't think there's any doubt that Harry's going to be an impact player at some point. He just needs reps