Preseason Kings vs. Jazz

Kingster

Hall of Famer
As preseason games go, this is the most important one. The first and third games of the regular season are against the Jazz. The Kings then play them again on November 21 (and a 4th game is in April). To get a decent start to the season, it would behoove the Kings to learn how to beat Utah. Kings lost all three games last year to Utah. The last two games they played the Kings lost by 7 and 6 points respectively. Gobert dominated. The Kings had 15 fast break points and 12 fast break points against Utah in games 2 and 3 last year. They need to get those numbers up considerably, probably above 20, to have a chance. Playing at a slower pace totally favors Gobert's Jazz; playing at a faster pace favors the Kings. This game is all about who controls the tempo.

Stein vs. Gobert: The first game of the season Gobert was out with injury and Stein had a monster statistical game, despite a huge victory by the Jazz. Stein didn't play in Game 2. In game 3 he played 29 minutes against Gobert and had four rebounds and nine points in 29 minutes. All of which suggests that Stein might not be the best player to put up against Gobert, given he can't stretch the floor and pull the big guy away from the basket.

We should pay close attention to the starting line up and rotation for tonight's game.

This will likely be a dress rehersal for the rotation that Joeger uses, once the season starts for real next Wednesday.

We should pay close attention to the starting line up and rotation for tonight's game.

This will likely be a dress rehersal for the rotation that Joeger uses, once the season starts for real next Wednesday.
Are ZBO and Kosta actually really injured? Or have they just been put out to pasture? Curious if both are ultimately relegated to deep bench minutes this year, or if they are legitimately being held out for injury in the preseason.

Are ZBO and Kosta actually really injured? Or have they just been put out to pasture? Curious if both are ultimately relegated to deep bench minutes this year, or if they are legitimately being held out for injury in the preseason.
I'm thinking Vlade has told Joeger that it is all about the kids this year. Hopefully ZBo stays on the deep bench. KK may get some minutes if Skal is not ready to contribute.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
I'm thinking Vlade has told Joeger that it is all about the kids this year. Hopefully ZBo stays on the deep bench. KK may get some minutes if Skal is not ready to contribute.
I'm beginning to wonder about Joerger's quote about taking off the training wheels this year. At first I thought when he said training wheels he was referring to unearned minutes, as in "the kids will have to earn their minutes". But now I'm starting to think that ZBo, Koufos, Carter, and Temple WERE the training wheels. "No safeties to keep you balanced anymore, kids! Better stay upright!"

dude12

Hall of Famer
This could be a dress rehearsal for Sac against Utah with the opener next week and I think they play them again quickly on the schedule.

I’m seeing some texts from reporters to expect Shumpert to make his Kings debut. I’m down with it. Put Shumpert on Donovan Mitchell a little and see if he still has it.

Is Joerger going to r7n out the small backcourt to start the game again?

Kingster

Hall of Famer
This could be a dress rehearsal for Sac against Utah with the opener next week and I think they play them again quickly on the schedule.

I’m seeing some texts from reporters to expect Shumpert to make his Kings debut. I’m down with it. Put Shumpert on Donovan Mitchell a little and see if he still has it.

I'm totally down with that. The guy can play D. Reward defense. Punish softness. Go Kings.

SacTownKid

Hall of Famer

We've already seen 1 team in preseason meet that midget backcourt with size, teams started to figure it out last year too, it's a dead end even if it works some nights.

Last edited:
I'm totally down with that. The guy can play D. Reward defense. Punish softness. Go Kings.

Who does he take minutes from though? Reward your teams future. No more minutes going to players that aren't in the long term plans although Iman is a strange case because he's not old by any stretch. Last year they used the "learning" tag line, this year it was supposed to be wheels off. If someone is soft or doesn't fit build them up and move them. They have to start being fairly clear on who they have before their rookie deals are up. Saying you have to wait years to see anything is nothing more than a GM or a coach flipping the hour glass back around and attempting to convince those who saw it that they really didn't.

Looking to see Fox bounce back. He's looked like the Fox of last year these last two games. Want to see him get back to the way he looked against the Suns and Lakers.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I can’t stand Grant, and Doug isn’t always my cup of tea.

But damn, I’m glad they’re back.
It's weird because Doug was always the quiet guy on those Adelman teams whereas Pollard always seemed to be the guy pegged to eventually replace Jerry at Grant's pale pale redheaded side.