Pre-draft workouts - schedules, clips, comments, etc.

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
It is a concern.

We are linked to the only prospect that HAS to see us so far.

We need some positive news regarding players of substance coming in here, even as we have the 2 pick. I may have differences with Vlade, but I haven’t had a problem with his stance of drafting players who showed initiative to come out in the past or who didn’t dodge the team. Hope the pool of incoming grows, or maybe it secures Luka (who won’t work out prior to draft for anyone)
We don't HAVE to see anything. The team has to do their due diligence. That doesn't mean we have to know about it all. I like it better when a team is quiet and no discussion or leaks are going on. Especially about trades and the draft. If they want to scout players quietly without everyone knowing that is fine with me.

We don't HAVE to see anything. The team has to do their due diligence. That doesn't mean we have to know about it all. I like it better when a team is quiet and no discussion or leaks are going on. Especially about trades and the draft. If they want to scout players quietly without everyone knowing that is fine with me.
You mean the team not wanting to bring players in or absolutely not letting who they bring in seep to the media? I’d sooner believe our deleterious reputation was still at play, since that isn’t typical of NBA teams, personally. But, it’s early in the process, somewhat. However, with the 2 pick, IMO we need to start hearing something soon. Getting tired of the no names

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You mean the team not wanting to bring players in or absolutely not letting who they bring in seep to the media? I’d sooner believe our deleterious reputation was still at play, since that isn’t typical of NBA teams, personally. But, it’s early in the process, somewhat. However, with the 2 pick, IMO we need to start hearing something soon. Getting tired of the no names
We can view and assess players outside of Sacramento.

What? That would mean that maybe (just maybe) some of the doomsayers who just recently crawled out of their hidey-holes were wrong AGAIN. :p

(It's a joke, folks.)
You need to evolve to the point where I don’t get on your nerves and the others have the handy ignore :)

I don’t know what I was wrong about as I spoke in non absolutes and saying it was early but it’s certainly a step in the right direction and I’ll take it on the chin :). We’ve had a recent history of being underrepresented in workouts (like Fox/Collins being the only top 10 picks to show up last year), and I was getting concerned that in the first few days our only links were to watch Luka/Porter without special invitation, but I hope Bagley coming in spells others too.

I like Bagley, and think he can be effective on defense as a super agile space 4, but I understand the concerns with his game too. There are worse players to bring in.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
You need to evolve to the point where I don’t get on your nerves and the others have the handy ignore :)

I don’t know what I was wrong about as I spoke in non absolutes and saying it was early but it’s certainly a step in the right direction and I’ll take it on the chin :). We’ve had a recent history of being underrepresented in workouts (like Fox/Collins being the only top 10 picks to show up last year), and I was getting concerned that in the first few days our only links were to watch Luka/Porter without special invitation, but I hope Bagley coming in spells others too.

I like Bagley, and think he can be effective on defense as a super agile space 4, but I understand the concerns with his game too. There are worse players to bring in.
I wasn't referring to your comment as much as I was referring to those in this and a couple of other threads who have been bemoaning our lack of "quality" pre-draftees for the past couple of weeks. You weren't the only one who dropped off the radar until very recently.

I'll be honest, though. You did inspire me just a little. :p

It's all good, dude. I'm just happy to see so many Kings fans back and looking forward to the coming draft and season, instead of having to wade through the same doom and gloom narratives.

Last edited:
I wasn't referring to your comment as much as I was referring to those in this and a couple of other threads who have been bemoaning our lack of "quality" pre-draftees for the past couple of weeks. You weren't the only one who dropped off the radar until very recently.

I'll be honest, though. You did inspire me just a little. :p

It's all good, dude. I'm just happy to see so many Kings fans back and looking forward to the coming draft and season, instead of having to wade through the same doom and gloom narratives.
I was a worry wart but that’s just my nature. Unlike real life where I have to bottle it up, here I can express it freely. And I’m glad to see Bagley coming for a visit. I hope Bamba and Porter come also.

no new announcements. does this mean only Bagely, Porter, and Doncic are under consideration?
Yes probably. We had multiple draftees who didn't want to come to work out over the past couple of years. Don't know if that's the case too for the likes of JJJ or Mo Bamba, or if the Kings have no interest.

Players (and/or their agents) could certainly still be steering guys away from Sacramento.

The Kings went to Wendell Carter Jr's draft workout, I certainly think if they could get Jackson Jr or Bamba in for a workout they would.

Wish Bamba was at least looked at in person here.
Yes probably. We had multiple draftees who didn't want to come to work out over the past couple of years. Don't know if that's the case too for the likes of JJJ or Mo Bamba, or if the Kings have no interest.
yeah it would be nice to check out at least Bamba and JJJ in person to see for ourselves what they got. if they are refusing to come though, I would not pick them then anyway

yeah it would be nice to check out at least Bamba and JJJ in person to see for ourselves what they got. if they are refusing to come though, I would not pick them then anyway
I wouldn't downplay the fact that Bagley came to workout in Sacramento. I think Vlade puts a premium on guys who want to be here. I don't necessarily agree with that strategy but I do think he gives it a certain amount of weight.

I don't know why some fans think the narrative of the Kings have changed.. it still hasn't. 1 year of rebuild is not changing that.

In 2016, the only top 30 prospect we brought in was Wade Baldwin IV..we had the 8th overall pick.
In 2017, we had the 5th and 10th picks. Only top players we brought in were: Fox, Collins, Mitchell, Jackson, and Giles. 5 out of the top 30 players despite having 2 top 10 picks.
So far, we have the 2nd overall pick, and only Marvin Bagley III has come out. That's a bit disheartening.

Hawks: Bagley, Jackson Jr, Bamba, and Young
Suns: Ayton, Bagley, Jackson Jr, and Bamba.

If it makes anyone feel better, Memphis has only brought out Wendall Carter Jr. On another note, everybody wants to play for the Knicks.

Knicks: Porter Jr, Young, Carter Jr, Mikal, Miles, Sexton, Walker, Knox, and Williams.

I wouldn't downplay the fact that Bagley came to workout in Sacramento. I think Vlade puts a premium on guys who want to be here. I don't necessarily agree with that strategy but I do think he gives it a certain amount of weight.
I wouldn’t either. It’ll be the deciding factor if prospects are close, and I personally do agree with that strategy. Legitimately I understand why prospects are still reticent, but on a personal level, I’d like players who want to be here. It hasn’t been at issue yet really, as I think the team damn well may have taken Fox/WCS/Justin(Harry) anyway, but if prospects are close, it will decide IMO.

It’s like going to pick out a pet and one of the litter gravitates to you, it may just be what’s meant to be

I don't know why some fans think the narrative of the Kings have changed.. it still hasn't. 1 year of rebuild is not changing that.

In 2016, the only top 30 prospect we brought in was Wade Baldwin IV..we had the 8th overall pick.
In 2017, we had the 5th and 10th picks. Only top players we brought in were: Fox, Collins, Mitchell, Jackson, and Giles. 5 out of the top 30 players despite having 2 top 10 picks.
So far, we have the 2nd overall pick, and only Marvin Bagley III has come out. That's a bit disheartening.

Hawks: Bagley, Jackson Jr, Bamba, and Young
Suns: Ayton, Bagley, Jackson Jr, and Bamba.

If it makes anyone feel better, Memphis has only brought out Wendall Carter Jr. On another note, everybody wants to play for the Knicks.

Knicks: Porter Jr, Young, Carter Jr, Mikal, Miles, Sexton, Walker, Knox, and Williams.
Interesting Dolan can get so many people to show up lol.

I really hope this is more about our franchise than city.

It's a combination of both. Memphis is another small market team and they've only been able to bring in Wendell Carter Jr. Meanwhile we look at a very dysfunctional Knicks team with an incompetent owner who's been able to bring in around 10 lotto prospects.

With Sacramento, it's a smaller market that doesn't necessarily appeal to young players. Marketing is harder and the lifestyle just isn't there for them. Pair all of this what the fact that we've been extremely dysfunctional for the past 10yrs. Just look at 5 months ago where we cut our 13th and 22nd picks a little after 1yr of drafting them. That sets a horrible display for any draft prospect and it deters them from coming here.

Or maybe we know we're picking between 3 players.

There's a crap ton of prestige that comes from being a top 3 pick and there's no way a player passes it up if called, unless it's Ayton who believes he has a promise to go #1 from Phoenix.

NY has to look at a lot more people because there's a pretty good shot the folks they look at won't even be there.

kingsboi

Hall of Famer

Knicks have been irrelevant for nearly two decades, other than one playoff appearance thrown in there with Melo at the helm, you are a 19 or 20 year old, New York is about as good as it gets in terms of lifestyle. Not saying it's the best or ideal spot but we all have a different make up.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Or maybe we know we're picking between 3 players.

There's a crap ton of prestige that comes from being a top 3 pick and there's no way a player passes it up if called, unless it's Ayton who believes he has a promise to go #1 from Phoenix.

NY has to look at a lot more people because there's a pretty good shot the folks they look at won't even be there.
I think people tend to forget that the Kings have been scouting most of these players for a couple of years now, in some cases more. So by this time of the year, most teams, depending on where their picking in the draft, have narrowed it down to the players their most interested in. When you have the 2nd pick in the draft, it becomes even easier to narrow it down. Only one team can interfere with your choice. When your picking 7th or 8th, you have to broaden your field to where you have a plan A, B, C, D. and maybe even an E.

The Kings don't have that problem. Right now, they're fairly sure that the Sun's are going to choose Ayton. So if you've narrowed it down to two or three players not including Ayton, it becomes a simple process. No need to bring in every top ten player in hopes that one will change your mind. One workout isn't going to do that. The only player where the workout was important, is Porter, and that was to see how healthy he is, not how talented. I think it's a safe bet that the Kings will choose one of Porter, Bagley, or Doncic. And if for some strange reason the Sun's take Doncic, well then, maybe the choice got even easier.

I think people tend to forget that the Kings have been scouting most of these players for a couple of years now, in some cases more. So by this time of the year, most teams, depending on where their picking in the draft, have narrowed it down to the players their most interested in. When you have the 2nd pick in the draft, it becomes even easier to narrow it down. Only one team can interfere with your choice. When your picking 7th or 8th, you have to broaden your field to where you have a plan A, B, C, D. and maybe even an E.

The Kings don't have that problem. Right now, they're fairly sure that the Sun's are going to choose Ayton. So if you've narrowed it down to two or three players not including Ayton, it becomes a simple process. No need to bring in every top ten player in hopes that one will change your mind. One workout isn't going to do that. The only player where the workout was important, is Porter, and that was to see how healthy he is, not how talented. I think it's a safe bet that the Kings will choose one of Porter, Bagley, or Doncic. And if for some strange reason the Sun's take Doncic, well then, maybe the choice got even easier.
I'm in agreement there, it's definitely one of Porter, Dončić, or Bagley. I think Dončić is plan A with Porter being plan B. It seems fairly clear though that we are looking for a wing player, particularly since Bagley was forced through a lot of perimeter oriented skills with his workout here. We must believe in Willie and Giles.

Porter could be our target too, in all honesty. Maybe helping Giles along with his recovery isn't scaring us off of Porter.

We will know soon enough I guess.

They’d rather bring in Carter than Bamba/Jackson? I’m a Carter fan, but most others don’t see it that way

Ham reporting no workout, just a meet-and-greet with Carter. Sactown Royalty is speculating whether this might be about getting intel about Bagley?