Pre-draft workouts - schedules, clips, comments, etc.

bajaden

Hall of Famer
He was a player that shot 44% from the three, and a player that should have been a 1st round pick, but like a lot of Kansas players, he tended to simply disappear in games at times. Gee, does that sound familiar. McLemore, Wiggins, Thomas Robinson. Those names ring a bell? I'm at a point where Kansas players in general scare me. No offense intended toward our current Kansas alum, and of course Scott Pollard. While Mykhailiuk shot a great percentage from the three, in my humble opinion, he was really a hot and cold shooter. He'd go 4 for 5 from the three in one game, and in the next game go 3 for 12.

Doesn't mean he can't become consistent. He does have good size for the SF position, and can play some SG as well. He's someone I would consider in the 2nd round. He is talented.

This isn't true at all. Agents are having pro days, but players are still coming out for workouts.
Fultz: Celtics, Lakers, and Sixers
Lonzo: Lakers
Tatum: Celtics and Suns
Jackson: Suns and Lakers2X
Fox: Sixers and Lakers
Isaac: Suns and Celtics

I'm probably missing a few teams, but some of these workouts were more secretive than others. It also indicates that the top players were specifically picking which teams they wanted to go to. Lonzo would only work out for the Lakers because he wanted to go there. Josh Jackson didn't want to go to the Celtics because he didn't like the fit. Isaac refused to workout for any team picking after #4. Here's the players who worked out for the Lakers last year who had #2 pick: Fultz, Lonzo, Jackson, Fox, and Dennis Smith Jr.

I would be very disappointed if we couldn't bring in at least 2 top 10 names for a workout. It's still hard to erase the dysfunctional label. Zach Collins and Donovan Mitchell were the highest rated prospect than we brought in last year.. and we picked at #5. Since we're picking at #2, there should be no excuses. I know Fox came out for a visit and he was extremely excited to be here. Hopefully he can change the narrative for us.
This is not correct. We had both Jackson and Fox in town last year. Not sure if Fox did a full workout, but he came in. Jackson did all his workouts in Sacramento and we monitored at least one.

This is not correct. We had both Jackson and Fox in town last year. Not sure if Fox did a full workout, but he came in. Jackson did all his workouts in Sacramento and we monitored at least one.
These are the players who came for a workout. Fox did not come here for a workout. He only came for a visit. Same with Josh Jackson. The Kings were never at any of his workouts. He just hosted workouts in Sacramento.

According to John Gambadoro of 98.7 FM, Arizona’s Sports Station, the Suns traveled to Sacramento on Wednesday to watch Kansas wing Josh Jackson go through a workout....Jackson also on Wednesday met but did not work out in front of the Sacramento Kings, who select fifth in the NBA Draft, reports Ailene Voisin of the Sacramento Bee.
http://arizonasports.com/story/1148846/nba-draft-suns-saw-kansas-wing-josh-jackson-work-sacramento/

Nunn was one of the leading college scorers last season averaging around 26 ppg. Consistent shooter as well averaging around 38% from the three every year in college. He's sort of SG in a PG's body, but he can score.
I always enjoyed watching him back at Illinois too.

He was a player that shot 44% from the three, and a player that should have been a 1st round pick, but like a lot of Kansas players, he tended to simply disappear in games at times. Gee, does that sound familiar. McLemore, Wiggins, Thomas Robinson. Those names ring a bell? I'm at a point where Kansas players in general scare me. No offense intended toward our current Kansas alum, and of course Scott Pollard. While Mykhailiuk shot a great percentage from the three, in my humble opinion, he was really a hot and cold shooter. He'd go 4 for 5 from the three in one game, and in the next game go 3 for 12.

Doesn't mean he can't become consistent. He does have good size for the SF position, and can play some SG as well. He's someone I would consider in the 2nd round. He is talented.
I like Svi, he can attack the rim beter than he showcased at Kansas, he's got a nice feel fir the game.

Since some of the potential top 5 picks (Jackson, Bamba, Bagley, etc) are apparently doing private workout for teams, I'm asking myself why we haven't heard anything for the kings yet. There are three possible reasons:

1. They'll come work out for the kings as well. The Kings just haven't announced it yet.
2. They don't want to work out for the Kings.
3. The Kings have already decided to pick Doncic and don't care about the other prospects.

Knowing that Vlade cares about players that come here for workouts, I assume scenario 2 would lead to a Doncic pick as well. Take your guess.

Last edited:
Since some of the potential top 5 picks (Jackson, Bamba, Bagley, etc) are apparently doing private workout for teams, I'm asking myself why we haven't heard anything for the kings yet. There are three possible reasons:

1. They'll come work out for the kings as well. The Kings just haven't announced it yet.
2. They don't want to workout for the Kings.
3. The Kings have already decided to pick Doncic and don't care about the other prospects.

Knowing that Vlade cares about players that come here for workouts, I assume scenario 2 would lead to a Doncic pick as well. Take your guess.
Workouts that were already done or is being scheduled:

1. Ayton: Suns (only working out for them. done)
2. Bagley: Hawks
3. Jackson Jr: Hawks
4. MPJ: N/A
5. Bamba: Bulls, Hawks
6. Young: Hawks, Magic, Bulls, and Knicks (done)

We still have a few more weeks until the draft. I'm not in panic mode just yet

Damn. The Hawks are getting a good look at all the prospects. Meanwhile.....

2. They don't want to work out for the Kings.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
Wondering why players doing a private workout with Atlanta and not us?
The Occam's Razor answer would be that this year's draft starts at #3, because the agents involved already know the top two picks. One is Ayton. The other is probably not MPJ.

Of course, another possible answer is that they will do private workouts for us, they just haven't scheduled/announced them yet.

The Occam's Razor answer would be that this year's draft starts at #3, because the agents involved already know the top two picks. One is Ayton. The other is probably not MPJ.

Of course, another possible answer is that they will do private workouts for us, they just haven't scheduled/announced them yet.
Would Occam’s Razor be the same reason as previous years......

Bagley working out for the Suns now as well.

Would Occam’s Razor be the same reason as previous years......
It is a concern.

We are linked to the only prospect that HAS to see us so far.

We need some positive news regarding players of substance coming in here, even as we have the 2 pick. I may have differences with Vlade, but I haven’t had a problem with his stance of drafting players who showed initiative to come out in the past or who didn’t dodge the team. Hope the pool of incoming grows, or maybe it secures Luka (who won’t work out prior to draft for anyone)