Post National Media Coverage Here

Most of these media outlets only seem to report news on popular teams or teams that have been winning for a long period of time when they should be reporting on ALL teams. That's supposed to be their job.

Drives me crazy when I see KINGS game highlights and all they show and talk about are the other teams offensive highlights --- even when the KINGS won the damn game! They are just mentioned in passing. That's just shoddy reporting. But it happens all the time. When it occurs on ESPN, whatever. They've been horrible for a long time with no real competition to push them to be better. But the NBATV crew has zero excuse. I've seen 1/2 hour and hour long shows when they don't even mention the KINGS game at all. I've never seen the NFL or MLB networks do that to any of their teams.

As I said after the win in MIAMI, if I was a KINGS player, I'd tell the National media to go to hell when they approached me for an interview. They weren't interested last week or last month or last year, so don't come around acting interested now.

Under the radar has its advantages. But that won't last long when you're winning. People take notice of winners - even "reporters" who never did and never will do their homework.

As an out of market fan who works around a lot of people that aren't really old enough to recall the glory days I appreciate positive attention.

And honestly, I think it serves the team well as Vlade and crew have done a very credible job rebuilding this team and not having the media turn him into a punchline might stop fans from calling for his head every day. Yeah, yeah, we don't have a pick this year. That was a decision made when trying to win with Cousins. Who as maligned as he was when healthy with our team, is some kind of "breaking the rules" when he goes to a good team and probably won't even play for most of the year. We moved on, with full hindsight appear to have cleaned up on that trade. We also clearly won the trade with Phoenix even if one of the three players we netted is no longer with the club. Chriss is subject of trade rumors on his second team, for what that's worth.

Obviously they pay attention and are well informed.
I actually think that it is the big companies like ESPN who already got the share so their analysts won't even try to look things up. It is not like the Kings or small market teams are in blackouts or only in local news. We don't live in that age anymore and many things are readily available upon a quick Google search. Those "big names" in big companies are probably just banking on A, casual viewers generally only care about the big market teams and B, their natural connection with the league that doesn't always extend to the smaller teams.

I watched a 20 some minutes segment last week where Steve Smith and Dennis Scott talked about how the Thunder lost the game to the Kings without a single mention of any Kings organization and its players.

I actually think that it is the big companies like ESPN who already got the share so their analysts won't even try to look things up. It is not like the Kings or small market teams are in blackouts or only in local news. We don't live in that age anymore and many things are readily available upon a quick Google search. Those "big names" in big companies are probably just banking on A, casual viewers generally only care about the big market teams and B, their natural connection with the league that doesn't always extend to the smaller teams.

I watched a 20 some minutes segment last week where Steve Smith and Dennis Scott talked about how the Thunder lost the game to the Kings without a single mention of any Kings organization and its players.
And it's not going to get any better with ESPN cutting staff left and right. I notice they don't even do written recaps anymore. Just box score and highlights. All stuff that can be done by a computer.

The day after the ringer piece (and another W), ESPN has a feature on Steph Curry's greatness. It's not that I expect the world to stop after a hot start to the season, but it's important perspective (ESPN is slow and reactionary af).

I've only recently started checking the ringer but it's nice to have an NBA gossip source that has a slightly wider world view.

Also if the Kings continue winning expect a series of patronising 'who da funk it' pieces, maybe some bitterness from the crew that clearly dislike us.

Also if the Kings continue winning expect a series of patronising 'who da funk it' pieces, maybe some bitterness from the crew that clearly dislike us.
Lowe and Woj will be the last two to mention anything positive on the Kings. We’ll get an Arnovitz think piece long before Lowe says anything good about a Vlade constructed team. Lowe is heavily biased against Vlade.

dude12

Hall of Famer
I value posts on this forum more so than the National media and talking heads.....even when I don’t agree with some of the posts. There are a few people out there who give good analysis though and aren’t look8ng for the hot takes.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Most of these media outlets only seem to report news on popular teams or teams that have been winning for a long period of time when they should be reporting on ALL teams. That's supposed to be their job.

Drives me crazy when I see KINGS game highlights and all they show and talk about are the other teams offensive highlights --- even when the KINGS won the damn game! They are just mentioned in passing. That's just shoddy reporting. But it happens all the time. When it occurs on ESPN, whatever. They've been horrible for a long time with no real competition to push them to be better. But the NBATV crew has zero excuse. I've seen 1/2 hour and hour long shows when they don't even mention the KINGS game at all. I've never seen the NFL or MLB networks do that to any of their teams.

As I said after the win in MIAMI, if I was a KINGS player, I'd tell the National media to go to hell when they approached me for an interview. They weren't interested last week or last month or last year, so don't come around acting interested now.
Cutting off your nose to spite your face only hurts your ability to smell. :p

Acting as though the media owes the Kings anything is the wrong way to go. These kids are young and enthusiastic and exciting to watch and the media is going to sit up and take notice - until the inevitable bad game when they say "well, it was a fluke" or something else.

I didn't give a crap what the media said last time around and I don't this time. I do appreciate fair reporting, however, and The Ringer AND The Athletic are both doing a credible job.

I'd just as soon we keep flying under the radar for a while.

Cutting off your nose to spite your face only hurts your ability to smell. :p
I'm speaking strictly from a competitive player perspective (I actually used to be one long ago) :) So I don't care.

When the KINGS keep winning but not talking to the media, the point will have been made. But I get your POV too.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Queue the picture of Vlade, Webber & Co. flipping everyone off
Let's wait a bit before our young team displays that kind of attitude. They still have a long way to go before they're as good as the guys in that picture. ;)