Portland Trying to move up

The Blazers are interested in moving up in the draft, but most likely not as high as the third or fourth pick. “I wouldn’t say 3 or 4 is where we’re looking to go,” Portland General Manager Kevin Pritchard says.
During the past four years, the Blazers have made 14 deals at or just before draft night.
“We’re looking at trying to move up with our first pick,” says Mike Born, Portland’s director of NBA scouting. “We’re trying to have an early second-round pick, maybe even have another late second-round pick.
“If we find a guy we like, we’ll try to put ourselves in position to get him.”

Thoughts?

They have Oden/Camby/Pryzbilla/Aldridge so I don't think it's likely to be a big...

Paul George seems like someone who would be a perfect fit

Last edited:

bajaden

Hall of Famer
Przybilla has an ETO coming up, and if he uses it he would become an unrestricted freeagent and therefore untradable. If he doesn't he would only have the one year left and we would be gambling that he would resign with us.

They have Camby signed for 3 more years, and the Kings reportedly almost made a deal for Camby before the trade deadline. But he's 36 years old. So I can't see the Kings giving up the 5th pick for him.

The only guy worth the pick is Oden. Which is very tempting. It could be a risky move. But if he were to stay healthy, it could end up being the steal of the century.

If we wanted Pryz we'd just draft Aldrich and hope that's what we were getting, right? Would have to be Oden then hope we could scoop up one of the project bigs with their 20ish pick.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
My thought is that Portland should be given some significant respect in their strategy. I'm encouraged that they think there is someone interesting after the 4 slot and in the early second round because that's where the Kings are slotted. I'd rather break in their scouting room and find out who they want rather than trade the picks.;)

My thought is that Portland should be given some significant respect in their strategy. I'm encouraged that they think there is someone interesting after the 4 slot and in the early second round because that's where the Kings are slotted. I'd rather break in their scouting room and find out who they want rather than trade the picks.;)
Why do you need to know what their scouts think?

I'm with pdx on two fronts: 1) Portland has a solid front line, maybe not elite, but not lacking either, whereas our front line is our first priority, so their draft needs aren't going to be similar to ours; 2) I'll give Portland #5 for Greg Oden if they're willing to throw in #22 along with him.

This is my pipe dream

3 Moves
(1) #5 and #33 to Portland for Oden and #22. I'd do it. It's worth the risk on Oden.
(2) Then we try and move up sending #22 and Hawes to land somewhere between #10-#12 and go after Udoh or Motiejunas
(3) Go hard after Gay

Portland
PG - Miller
SG - Roy
SF - Al-Farouq Aminu (i like this kid better than Wes)
PF - LA
C - Camby

Sac

PG - Evans
SG - Green
SF - Gay
PF - JT
C - Oden

Build around Evans, Gay, and Oden. Not too bad.

Hmm.... Oden is still a good prospect. But the knee injuries scares me. I don't want to be worried every yr around playoff time thinking when our starting center might go down with a knee injury again.

There is a pattern for injuries and they just don't go away. Bynum, Oden and a bunch of big guys from the past.

Hmm.... Oden is still a good prospect. But the knee injuries scares me. I don't want to be worried every yr around playoff time thinking when our starting center might go down with a knee injury again.

There is a pattern for injuries and they just don't go away. Bynum, Oden and a bunch of big guys from the past.
I agree, ton of potential but injuries suck... especially with big guys.

Yeah, Bynum will be getting surgery again this off season. 4th time within the last 3 yrs. Other than his first 2 yrs which he hardly played, he's been requiring surgery.

Oden is in the same situation. Not worth a #5 pick considering his history. I rather get a really good player at #5 even if it will have to be another wing player.

Because they are damned good.
I think they are good. But they have hits and misses just as often as many teams. What they are is a bit more aggressive with draft related trades. Some work awesome like with Aldridge and others were so-so to not good. But I don't see any evidence that they have any secret ability when it comes to scouting.

I think the Kings do well enough looking at guys and seeing talent. I just wish when they saw someone they like, they would go after them harder.

They have Oden/Camby/Pryzbilla/Aldridge so I don't think it's likely to be a big...
Camby and Przybilla are getting up there in years, and Przybilla's contract isn't much longer. Oden's rumored to be prematurely worn out, and has been anything but dependable so far. That leaves Aldridge.

Unless they're really into Johnson, I think they're after a big, because that's what's there at 5-10. Maybe Aldrich, since Przybilla's been a workhorse for them for quite a while.

If we wanted Pryz we'd just draft Aldrich and hope that's what we were getting, right? Would have to be Oden then hope we could scoop up one of the project bigs with their 20ish pick.
I would think if we wanted Pryz and their glut at the 5 spot... We might be able to swing some cap relief + our 2nd rounder for Pryz? I might be off base here, but it seems like something working into. We could get someone we want without using the #5 overall in Aldrich... Just food for thought

Przybilla has an ETO coming up, and if he uses it he would become an unrestricted freeagent and therefore untradable. If he doesn't he would only have the one year left and we would be gambling that he would resign with us.

They have Camby signed for 3 more years, and the Kings reportedly almost made a deal for Camby before the trade deadline. But he's 36 years old. So I can't see the Kings giving up the 5th pick for him.

The only guy worth the pick is Oden. Which is very tempting. It could be a risky move. But if he were to stay healthy, it could end up being the steal of the century.
You know that Przybilla injury is career threatening and he may never play again? No way he opts out.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
I think they are good. But they have hits and misses just as often as many teams. What they are is a bit more aggressive with draft related trades. Some work awesome like with Aldridge and others were so-so to not good. But I don't see any evidence that they have any secret ability when it comes to scouting.

I think the Kings do well enough looking at guys and seeing talent. I just wish when they saw someone they like, they would go after them harder.
That all teams are the same in talent evaluation and that Portland is no different than any other is difficult for me to believe. I do agree with your last point though. Portland has shown an ability to do exactly what you find missing in the Kings - to identify talent and then go after them agressively. They aren't afraid to trade in the draft. Petrie makes trades with 2nd rounders whereas Portland makes them with 1st rounders and goes aggressively after talent. To me, that's impressive.

Sure -- give me Greg Oden and you can have my #5. :p
Again, I see rumors like this where teams "want" to move up in a draft and I think it should be more along the lines of "teams have a pipe dream" to move up in the draft. Can anyone tell me the last time a team moved up 15 plus spots in an NBA draft?

As far as trading the #5 for Oden, the dude has shown he can play...when he isn't injured. IN fact, the kid has shown he can be a game changer....when he isn't sitting on the bench with foul trouble.

Do you trade the #5 pick in a draft for a guy who has shown he can be a game changer when he isn't injured or in foul trouble? Difficult question. I would say probably not.

Edit -

Oden's stats for season -

23.9 minutes per game
11.1 points per game
8.4 rebounds per game
2.3 blocks per game
60% shooting percentage
4 fouls per game.

Excellent stats, sans the 4 fouls, in just 24 minutes per game.

Last edited:
Again, I see rumors like this where teams "want" to move up in a draft and I think it should be more along the lines of "teams have a pipe dream" to move up in the draft. Can anyone tell me the last time a team moved up 15 plus spots in an NBA draft?
You may have history on your side but understand that your appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy: just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean that it can't/won't.

You may have history on your side but understand that your appeal to tradition is a logical fallacy: just because something hasn't happened before doesn't mean that it can't/won't.
Logical fallacy is stretching it quite a bit - honestly, the NBA is so superstar oriented. No pupu platter of mediocre players and low first round pick will ever get what it takes to get a top 5 pick. Ever.

Realistically, in order to move up to a top 5 spot Portland would have to give up a very good young player with a small contract (i.e., LeMarcus Aldridge probably wouldn't even do it for the Kings or the other teams) and a first round pick or two.

I have history, you have nothing but delusions.

Bricklayer

Don't Make Me Use The Bat

As far as trading the #5 for Oden, the dude has shown he can play...when he isn't injured. IN fact, the kid has shown he can be a game changer....when he isn't sitting on the bench with foul trouble.

Do you trade the #5 pick in a draft for a guy who has shown he can be a game changer when he isn't injured or in foul trouble? Difficult question. I would say probably not.

Edit -

Oden's stats for season -

23.9 minutes per game
11.1 points per game
8.4 rebounds per game
2.3 blocks per game
60% shooting percentage
4 fouls per game.

Excellent stats, sans the 4 fouls, in just 24 minutes per game.

The moving up 15+ spots basically happens whenever a team buys a pick. Happened when Seattle bought Boston's #4 pick with Ray Allen. Happened when Minnesota bought Washington's #5 last year. No, they didn't swing a late pick back the other way, but those teams bought their way into a top pick.

And the 4 fouls are not really relevant. Almost every big defensive minded kid racks them up like mad in their early career. Even if he never stopped it would be 24 minutes more of defensive stopper than we currently have. The injuries of course are another thing. But I'll take injury prone talent over rock steady mediocrity any day.

Last edited:
Logical fallacy is stretching it quite a bit - honestly, the NBA is so superstar oriented. No pupu platter of mediocre players and low first round pick will ever get what it takes to get a top 5 pick. Ever.

Realistically, in order to move up to a top 5 spot Portland would have to give up a very good young player with a small contract (i.e., LeMarcus Aldridge probably wouldn't even do it for the Kings or the other teams) and a first round pick or two.

I have history, you have nothing but delusions.
I don't know what you're talking about, I'm referring to the science of Logic. Look it up, it's hardly delusions.

EDIT: http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Appeal_to_tradition

Last edited:
The moving up 15+ spots basically happens whenever a team buys a pick. Happened when Seattle bought Boston's #4 pick with Ray Allen. Happened when Minnesota bought Washington's #5 last year. No, they didn't swing a late pick back the other way, but those teams bought their way into a top pick.

And the 4 fouls are not really relevant. Almost every big defensive minded kid racks them up like mad in their early career. Even if he never stopped it would be 24 minutes more of defensive stopper than we currently have. The injuries of course are another thing. But I'll take injury prone talent over rock steady mediocrity any day.
As often as I agree with your thoughts Brick, I completely disagree with you on the part of the Seattle/Boston trade. Boston didn't just "sell" a pick to Seattle - that was a straight basketball trade. Ray Allen was still playing at a very high level (and still is, although not quite as good) so it was totally a quid pro quo transaction. Ray Allen wasn't a garbage middling player; he was a legitimate piece (a very good #2) to a title contender and a team that ultimately did win the title once and has a chance to win a second time this year.

I must admit that I had forgotten about the Minnesota/Washington trade. From a basketball perspective (forget the waiver wire level players that WA sent to MN) it was Foye and Mike Miller for the #5 pick in the draft (I'm sure there were some salary considerations as well - i.e., MN took some dead weight off of WA partially in exchange for pick in taking Songalia/Thomas).

Hence, in the circumstance of Portland or the Spurs attempting to trade up to a top 5 pick, what can they realistically offer to the Kings/Wolves/etc. to have them bite? Wouldn't you go absolutely crazy if the kings took Tony Parker and the #22 pick for the #5? An older player with a huge contract and low first round pick for the #5 in the draft? The rumors I've seen and read about don't come close to mirroring the two deals discussed above. Again, I think it's guys that are bored that float their "pipe dreams", dreaming that some GM will be dumb enough to take salary (in the year BEFORE the CBA expires mind you) and a low first round pick for a top 5.

Forget it, it's not going to happen.

Last edited:
Sparky - just look at my response to Brick below. No way any GM is stupid enough to take salary in the year before the CBA expires and a low first round pick for a top 5. It's just not going to happen. So I really have no idea why you would ever refer to it as a logical fallacy.

This is my pipe dream

3 Moves
(1) #5 and #33 to Portland for Oden and #22. I'd do it. It's worth the risk on Oden.
(2) Then we try and move up sending #22 and Hawes to land somewhere between #10-#12 and go after Udoh or Motiejunas
(3) Go hard after Gay

Portland
PG - Miller
SG - Roy
SF - Al-Farouq Aminu (i like this kid better than Wes)
PF - LA
C - Camby

Sac
PG - Evans
SG - Green
SF - Gay
PF - JT
C - Oden

Build around Evans, Gay, and Oden. Not too bad.
Awesome line-up.

Even without Gay ( which we have to overpay to get him to play in Sacramento ), I could settle waiting for another year for Casspi and Greene to develop as our starting SG and SF interchangeably.

Also, let us give the softie Hawes another chance too. He can be valuable as a back-up player at either C or PF depending on the match-up.

Sparky - just look at my response to Brick below. No way any GM is stupid enough to take salary in the year before the CBA expires and a low first round pick for a top 5. It's just not going to happen. So I really have no idea why you would ever refer to it as a logical fallacy.
That's not what I'm calling a logical fallacy, the part I quoted in post #23 and only the part I quoted in post #23 is a logical fallacy. I've given you a link to the definition and told you why, if you can't understand that I cannot help you.