Portland trading Kent Bazemore to the Kings

Bazemore is on one of my fantasy teams. Yahoo has now marked him "OUT" with the following comment:

Portland is trading Kent Bazemore to Sacramento, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.
Advice: Bazemore is in the final year of his four-year contract with $19.2 million for this season, so it's a surprise the Blazers could even get him off their books given how poorly he's played lately. He finds himself in a bit of a logjam currently now with Bogdan Bogdanovic and Buddy Hield taking SG minutes and Harrison Barnes soaking up so much time at the three. He loses fantasy value with this move.
Lemme just say, I'm so glad we can get basketball-only analysis on a trade from Fantasy Basketball, instead of Stephen A. Smith telling you how Baze feels emotionally about the trade from his inside source who he just casually chatted up during Sunday church session with Kanye.

Not unless you are talking about sending those picks in on a deal. We've established draft picks are worthless for this franchise. We need to collect them to facilitate trades.
Even if they don't send away the picks the fact that you signed Ariza to a 12mil contract and he helped tank the team means it's a loss regardless what we do with those picks. This is the lesser of two evils but it's a loss.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member
we took on salary for those two picks. I saw estimated 700k, but my math showed closer to 3mm.

@Capt. Factorial ?
Actually, the $700K number is about right. Here's why: We save $1.8M next year on Ariza's guaranteed money (on the assumption we wouldn't bring him back at $12.8M). Our outgoing was a bit under $15.7M while our incoming is about $20.9M (all other contracts are expiring). That's a difference of $5.2M this year, but pro-rate that (we're basically 50% through the season) to $2.6M. Then, lop off the $1.8M saved next year and it's about $800K in total excess money by my numbers - who knows, maybe it's closer to $700K if you don't round at all. Anyway, really quite a bargain for two second rounders, though obviously they're so far out in time we have no idea if Portland will be good or not when they convey.

This is a fantastic trade!

Our future seconds are all cluttered.

Spaced out this adds a 2024 and a 2025.

For what precisely?

And they eat Ariza's min guarantee next year. This is the type of trade we need to make as our season seems less than desirable.

BTW, here's what Yahoo player report says about Anthony Tolliver:

Anthony Tolliver was traded to the Kings.
Advice: He heads back to Sacramento after spending time with the Kings in 2016-17. Tolliver had been playing 18.4 minutes per game with the Blazers this month, and he may not be in the rotation on the Kings once Richaun Holmes (shoulder) can make it back.
We may be able to trade Tolliver for a second possibly too, or include in another trade as a filler.

The trade saves cup space next year and gives the coach the opportunity to have stretch 4 all the time. Bjelica/Tolliver could be paired with Holmes/Bagley all game long.

Maybe, but maybe not though. Bazemore's best years came in a system similar to what Walton is attempting to emulate. I don't agree with attempting to emulate a lot of it in the first place but bringing in players that historically have some success in it should only help you in theory. Tolliver I'm not sure about. The Kings have too many bigs as it is so adding one even if he's a spread big might not mean much. As a locker room guy he might help.
He's been really bad offensively for 3 of the last 4 years. I mean there's always a chance he could perform like he did back in his prime Atlanta days but then that begs the question, does it matter? I don't think we're a prime Kent Bazemore away from being a .500 team.

Went to the Blazers game on Monday and Tolliver had one hell of a 4th quarter (and strangely TJ had gotten his autograph pregame). I don't recall Bazemore doing anything. Skal out with injury so funny they take Caleb back. good riddance.

He's been really bad offensively for 3 of the last 4 years. I mean there's always a chance he could perform like he did back in his prime Atlanta days but then that begs the question, does it matter? I don't think we're a prime Kent Bazemore away from being a .500 team.
Probably not but the Kings run both offensive and defensive sets that make it to where if even one person is not going along with the plan or able to you are screwed. We saw the kind of difference playing Barnes and Ariza together made for instance. The overriding issue is obviously it didn't make much of a difference because it was mostly only ever used sporadically and usually when the team was already down by double digits. The scariest thing of all is consistently seeing a certain style of ball and unit work and then watching the coach go away from it time and again.

IMO this trade wont amount to anything. We made some good off season moves this year already. We had a playoff run going. Then we decided the playoffs were not important. Making our draft pics the starters was the most important thing. The season went into the tank. Now we are trading again. To what end? There is no rhyme or reason to what this team does. The merry go round continues. As it always does.

IMO this trade wont amount to anything. We made some good off season moves this year already. We had a playoff run going. Then we decided the playoffs were not important. Making our draft pics the starters was the most important thing. The season went into the tank. Now we are trading again. To what end? There is no rhyme or reason to what this team does. The merry go round continues. As it always does.
This wasn't to move any needles, this was to get a few assets (even if questionable, in the form of 2nd rounders) off a team who is desperate. We didn't give anything up and at the same time we saved ourselves the trouble of letting Ariza go and eating the partial guarantee he has.

I do not think we were going to have a sustained playoff push playing our vets at the expense of Fox and Bagley. If we did it's arguably fool's gold to get bounced in the first round of the playoffs riding the backs of a few guys who won't be here in the next season or two.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
What a difference perspective makes?

From NBCSportsNorthwest:

"Trevor Ariza will probably be our starting small forward," Terry Stotts said on NBC Sports Northwest's simulcast show of 620 Rip City Radio's Dan & Nigel in the Mornings. "He has great experience. He has been in his career a very good defender. He's a good three point shooter, so he'll be able to space. His experience will blend really well with the starters. He's a good guy. I think he'll be a great fit for us."

God forbid we make a playoff run. Even a first round exit. Why would we make our players earn a starting role by outplaying the competition on this team?

This wasn't to move any needles, this was to get a few assets (even if questionable, in the form of 2nd rounders) off a team who is desperate. We didn't give anything up and at the same time we saved ourselves the trouble of letting Ariza go and eating the partial guarantee he has.

I do not think we were going to have a sustained playoff push playing our vets at the expense of Fox and Bagley. If we did it's arguably fool's gold to get bounced in the first round of the playoffs riding the backs of a few guys who won't be here in the next season or two.
make

Moving Trevor wasn't about moving any needles. Picking up Bazemore at this point in his career is not a plus. Who's minutes will he get (if he plays)? Buddy's? Bogi's? JJ's? HB's? If he does play for us, he will be our best big guard defender. But he's not a reliable shooter. And he's undersized in defending most 3's.

There seems to be a large group of journeymen players in the League, that have some talent and a few flaws. Guys like Temple, Bazemore, Ariza, Joseph. They get traded around the league. New atmosphere does them some good for awhile.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
There seems to be a large group of journeymen players in the League, that have some talent and a few flaws. Guys like Temple, Bazemore, Ariza, Joseph. They get traded around the league. New atmosphere does them some good for awhile.
Don’t know about that. Ariza looked as old as normal last night

A lot of these guys are pretty valuable in the right situations. Gotta surround them with good offensive players and the right system. If they are relied upon for anything other than just a few catch and shoot attempts a game, they aren't as valuable. If the coach plugs them into their system and that system doesn't take into account their offensive liabilities, then it makes them look worse than they are.

Quin Snyder uses a similar player in Royce O'Neale to perfection. He takes less shots per36 than all the players you mentioned even though he is more efficient. Snyder is able to use him correctly because he has Mitchell/Bogdanovic/Conley/Gobert and Clarkson to handle the offensive load, leaving O'Neale to do what he does best...defend and shoot wide open shots when given the opportunity.

Ariza shot 35% from 3 and played good defense for us and for whatever reason, people acted like he was a big problem.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
A lot of these guys are pretty valuable in the right situations. Gotta surround them with good offensive players and the right system. If they are relied upon for anything other than just a few catch and shoot attempts a game, they aren't as valuable. If the coach plugs them into their system and that system doesn't take into account their offensive liabilities, then it makes them look worse than they are.

Quin Snyder uses a similar player in Royce O'Neale to perfection. He takes less shots per36 than all the players you mentioned even though he is more efficient. Snyder is able to use him correctly because he has Mitchell/Bogdanovic/Conley/Gobert and Clarkson to handle the offensive load, leaving O'Neale to do what he does best...defend and shoot wide open shots when given the opportunity.

Ariza shot 35% from 3 and played good defense for us and for whatever reason, people acted like he was a big problem.
Sometimes he play very good defense. Other times he didn't. About a week or two before he got traded I thought he didn't play high effort D. Really the only guy that I can say on this team that has played consistently good defense has been Holmes. Other players like Buddy have played mostly consistently poor defense, or like Bjelica has had huge swings in defensive intensity.

If Bazemore can give us a game like last night he can become a very good piece of this team.
Besides his scoring the big thing I liked was his defensive presence. It may just be one of the best quiet low key trade pick ups we have had for awhile and I know he has played only a few games for us but so far so good.

Bazemore did a good job on Wiggins. That is encouraging.
Dedmon got 12 boards and 5 blocks.
When the Kings can play defense and rebound they will have a shot at the playoffs.
I like the idea of emphasizing defense.

Bazemore did a good job on Wiggins. That is encouraging.
Dedmon got 12 boards and 5 blocks.
When the Kings can play defense and rebound they will have a shot at the playoffs.
I like the idea of emphasizing defense.
Cmon... It was the Timberwolves. Let's see them do that against the Miami Heat on Friday. Dedmon and Bazemore are both mediocre players and every metric in the book backs it up. I am going to love and see Bazemore shut down Jimmy Butler. Ain't Happening.