Portland trading Kent Bazemore to the Kings

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Bazemore has literally the same/lower IQ than Buddy (better D but worse shooting) I'm not sure you will like this move as much as you like it now.
You might be right. But it's very hard for me to believe that Bazemore's BBIQ is as low as Buddy's. That's like going to the depths of the Mariana Trench. There's only one in the world. Even if they are equivalent in BBIQ, Bazemore plays better defense. I'll take it.

yep we got a bunch of old guys and more second round picks to sell.

the issue I have is we don’t have many long wing players. If you a grooming Gabriel and you don’t draft any with your second round picks why trade the only guy you got?
The delusion that Gabriel is a wing came about I'm not sure how but the guy is basically a 4/5 man who's not strong enough to play either and not skilled enough to be a 4. Harry Giles is more of a wing than Gabriel.

The delusion that Gabriel is a wing came about I'm not sure how but the guy is basically a 4/5 man who's not strong enough to play either and not skilled enough to be a 4. Harry Giles is more of a wing than Gabriel.
whether he could be successful is a clear question but with the attempted 3 point shooting and defense it was clear that was their goal. Otherwise draft Bonga or someone with length.

Twitter is suggesting the Kings would likely have to trade away a pick along with Dedmon to get rid of his contract. Maybe that's why we picked up these second rounders? Something to sweeten up the pot for a potential move?
The rumor is Atlanta already offered 2 2nd rounder for him, but the Kings wanted a first. So no they don't need to send any picks with him to get rid of the contract. The Kings already have a ton of 2nd round picks with not enough roster spots.

Portland will also create a $7.2M and a $1.7M trade exception as part of the deal. Along with luxury tax relief.

Our 2 guard has been our worst position. I don't think Ariza was playing bad (lately), but I don't like when Luke played Barnes and Ariza soooo much at the 4. Because with Bjelly, Giles getting some minutes now, and Bagley back, we should be good with our bigs. Hopefully Holmes comes back soon.

Our record without Bogi is 2-9 this year which shows how much help is needed at the guard position. Also, the incredibly small wing lineups are horrible to watch. Cojo and Fox should not be playing extensive minutes with each other or Yogi.

Buddy needs to come down a peg. He is getting too vocal with team mates, media, etc. Start Baze and let Buddy fingers be a 6th man type. The next huge step for the franchise is to realize what buddy is (and isn't).

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Bazemore is shooting 34.7% from the field this year. For comparison, Corey Joseph is at 39% from the field for the year.
Bazemore is on one of my fantasy teams. Yahoo has now marked him "OUT" with the following comment:

Portland is trading Kent Bazemore to Sacramento, according to Shams Charania of The Athletic.
Advice: Bazemore is in the final year of his four-year contract with $19.2 million for this season, so it's a surprise the Blazers could even get him off their books given how poorly he's played lately. He finds himself in a bit of a logjam currently now with Bogdan Bogdanovic and Buddy Hield taking SG minutes and Harrison Barnes soaking up so much time at the three. He loses fantasy value with this move.

I'm always a fan of using cap space to absorb contracts and picks. Makes you wonder if the Kings had never signed Ariza, could they have just gotten a protected 1st straight up?

I never understood the purpose of Ariza, with Barnes/Bogi at the 3 and the PF logjam.
I was disappointed he didn't hang onto the space at the time. Although, I do think if it took wasting that money to land Holmes at the very end of the spree and have him show the value he has then it was worth it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
There is 3 players there, which means there is just as much chance any of them lose value. There is also a chance he gains value.
??? It's an assessment of the fantasy value of Kent Bazemore, not the other players. I doubt if his value increases behind Hield/Bogs. I'll let you know, however, since he's on my weekly league.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
BTW, here's what Yahoo player report says about Anthony Tolliver:

Anthony Tolliver was traded to the Kings.
Advice: He heads back to Sacramento after spending time with the Kings in 2016-17. Tolliver had been playing 18.4 minutes per game with the Blazers this month, and he may not be in the rotation on the Kings once Richaun Holmes (shoulder) can make it back.

Very good trade by Vlade. Doesnt matter if Bazemore is a contributor for us this year or not. Season looks lost and we got two 2nd rounders for a vet that porbably would've been cut next season with some guaranteed money counting against the cap next season. Ariza or Dedmon werent worth their contracts and now we can say they were bad signings especially since we werent good enough for seriously competing for a playoff spot. Now get rid of Dedmon if you can and be open to similar trades like this one for your other vets that wont be a part of the core two years from not.

Just dont trade any of these extra 2nd round picks for money to the multi millionare owners. Either pick a player, combine these extra 2nds for moving up or trade for future picks. None of these picks should be traded down for cash to Vivek. None. Thats the worst thing you could do with your pick.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
A couple of years ago, Voisin wrote a piece about Tolliver (remember he was with the Kings from 7/9/2016 to 6/1/2017 when he was waived). Here's one of his comments about being on the Kings:
https://www.sacbee.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/ailene-voisin/article132767009.html

“I don’t care about points, accolades – any of the stuff most basketball players care about,” Tolliver added, “though in the past, I worried too much about what my coaches thought, what my teammates thought. Now I just want to help us win. Work hard, practice. Do something to become a better player and person every day. That’s who I am.”

One other comment in the piece:

While the Kings’ recent 4-2 homestand thrust them back into the conversation for the eighth playoff spot in the wild, wild Western Conference, the Springfield, Mo., native has stroked timely jumpers, defended aggressively and made subtle contributions – tapbacks on rebounds, a pass that leads to an assist, a defensive rotation that bails out a teammate – that often dictate the outcome of games.
Tolliver does not do the following: Dominate the ball. Attempt to go one-on-one. Scream at a point guard who misses him in the short corners. Berate the refs or otherwise lose control of his emotions.

AV simply couldn't help herself. :p

kingsboi

Hall of Famer
I can't be mad at this trade. Kings gave away players they don't play in Gabriel and Swanigan and got back two vets who can hit the three ball. Baze is a decent defender.

Trade is a salary dump for two 2nd round picks. Bazemore and Tolliver add nothing to this team. Tolliver makes it worse. Dude is 2nd to last in the league in RPM. Bazemore is equal to or worse than Ariza depending on what metric you use.

Trade is a salary dump for two 2nd round picks. Bazemore and Tolliver add nothing to this team. Tolliver makes it worse. Dude is 2nd to last in the league in RPM. Bazemore is equal to or worse than Ariza depending on what metric you use.
Maybe, but maybe not though. Bazemore's best years came in a system similar to what Walton is attempting to emulate. I don't agree with attempting to emulate a lot of it in the first place but bringing in players that historically have some success in it should only help you in theory. Tolliver I'm not sure about. The Kings have too many bigs as it is so adding one even if he's a spread big might not mean much. As a locker room guy he might help.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Maybe, but maybe not though. Bazemore's best years came in a system similar to what Walton is attempting to emulate. I don't agree with attempting to emulate a lot of it in the first place but bringing in players that historically have some success in it should only help you in theory. Tolliver I'm not sure about. The Kings have too many bigs as it is so adding one even if he's a spread big might not mean much. As a locker room guy he might help.
I think it's a safe assumption that at least one of those bigs - Dedmon - will be gone by Feb 6.