Portland trading Kent Bazemore to the Kings

I mean not really. Just shift Barnes down to the 4, then Baze/Bogi at the 3.
Yeah, actually in theory this also allows them to play Bazemore, Bogdan, and Barnes together which is plenty of switchability. I'll believe it when I see it though. I really don't think Walton wants to play small for some reason. Maybe it's a directive from above. It might just be a rebuild signal though. The tell tale thing will be whether or not Bogdan is moved and how soon.

Yeah, actually in theory this also allows them to play Bazemore, Bogdan, and Barnes together which is plenty of switchability. I'll believe it when I see it though. I really don't think Walton wants to play small for some reason. Maybe it's a directive from above. It might just be a rebuild signal though. The tell tale thing will be whether or not Bogdan is moved and how soon.
Is it too early to start making a banner for our big 3B?

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Nowhere did I say I don't care about the Kings. I just don't care for the current roster. I posted earlier in the thread about how I like this trade for the future. I like seeing our youngsters develop but that's about it for this year. Stop making stuff up.
I’m not “making stuff up”. It was an honest suggestion. If talking about the team is giving you so much angst and pain, it’s okay to take a break. It doesn’t make you a “worse fan”, in fact it probably means you’re a better well-rounded individual than the sadsacks like me who keep coming back for more rounds of getting yelled at for various things of no consequence.

I’m not “making stuff up”. It was an honest suggestion. If talking about the team is giving you so much angst and pain, it’s okay to take a break. It doesn’t make you a “worse fan”, in fact it probably means you’re a better well-rounded individual than the sadsacks like me who keep coming back for more rounds of getting yelled at for various things of no consequence.
Not giving me angst or pain. Just saying these incoming players probably don't serve any purpose. Everyone can talk about them of course, I don't care. Do your thing, just saying it's more than likely a pointless subject when it boils down to it.

I'm gonna be honest, we can talk about the players we received but really it's just putting lipstick on a pig. So we might win a few more games? Maybe? This season is lost and I don't care much about wanting it to get better. This team ain't it.
Agree. This doesn’t really move the needle. Fox, Bagley, Buddy, Holmes, Bogi. If that squad can’t play more than a few minutes together without getting injured we stand no chance.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Not giving me angst or pain. Just saying these incoming players probably don't serve any purpose. Everyone can talk about them of course, I don't care. Do your thing, just saying it's more than likely a pointless subject when it boils down to it.
you obviously care enough to keep posting in this thread to tell us about how much you don’t care.

This trade doesn’t put us in a situation to call ourselves a playoff team, hence, I don’t like it. I want to see players who can push us to the playoff spot, I’m done with picks and another “5 year plans”. Simple as that.

This trade doesn’t put us in a situation to call ourselves a playoff team, hence, I don’t like it. I want to see players who can push us to the playoff spot, I’m done with picks and another “5 year plans”. Simple as that.
Lets wait and see. I do think this is a little late for a "shake up" move but we know this team can perform and sometimes a move like this can rattle some cages from the coaches on down. We've also seen this team succeed even when not healthy. Vlade built this team with almost too much depth (obviously so as evidenced by some players wanting out) so this team shouldn't be one that falls apart even with multiple injuries anyway. As well this isn't a total questionable fit in terms of the trade so we have to watch and see if this can have a positive effect both in the locker room and on the floor.

That said, the issue now is that it could also have the reverse effect. One thing we do know is they just traded one of the role players that was involved in some of the best 5 man rotations the Kings had according to advanced stats and it was clear to see with your eyes as well. Which isn't always common with advance stats.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
By doing this deal about three weeks prior to the trade deadline, this deal gives Vlade more negotiating leverage when that deadline does roll around. Assuming Bazemore gives Walton some decent minutes at the SG position over the next three weeks, GM's are going to perceive a less desperate SG situation than the one the Kings have been finding themselves in, which means Vlade would be dealing more from a position of strength. It also wouldn't hurt the leverage if Bogs comes back totally healthy and does what he can do when he's totally healthy.

By doing this deal about three weeks prior to the trade deadline, this deal gives Vlade more negotiating leverage when that deadline does roll around. Assuming Bazemore gives Walton some decent minutes at the SG position over the next three weeks, GM's are going to perceive a less desperate SG situation than the one the Kings have been finding themselves in, which means Vlade would be dealing more from a position of strength. It also wouldn't hurt the leverage if Bogs comes back totally healthy and does what he can do when he's totally healthy.
Good points. It was clear that Walton was struggling to find someone that could come in for Buddy with Bogdan out and has even resorted to terrible 3 guard lineups. They moved a 3/4 for a 2/3 so it should help in the interim.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Like the trade. Ariza had his moments but Walton relied on him way too much and he played even when he was having bad moments. Bazemore has always been a good defender. He and Tolliver both are shooting in the mid thirties overall and low 30s from 3. Its conceivable Bazemore benefits from a change in scenery. Tolliver is obviously a great locker room guy though he probably wont play as Bjelica is the stretch four. I like those two seconds especially if there are no protections on them. Portland isn't great this year and Lillard isnt going to play forever so maybe those become early second round picks which would make this trade even more of a win. Time will tell on those. The Kings also saved the partial guarantee next year on Arizas deal so that opened up some small cap space.
Also it will be interesting to see how Walton adapts. Ariza was "his guy." He doesnt have "his guy" anymore. This is big as he cant stick him out there for 30 plus min when he is off.
This implies that Vlade is somehow foisting this deal on Walton. I think it's more like Walton saying to Divac, "How soon can we get him (Bazemore) here? I need defensive help at the SG position!"

Agreed, but there may be more moves to come. Even so, such transactions may not drastically improve the Kings’ fortunes THIS season. It may be too late for that.

Kingster

Hall of Famer
Good points. It was clear that Walton was struggling to find someone that could come in for Buddy with Bogdan out and has even resorted to terrible 3 guard lineups. They moved a 3/4 for a 2/3 so it should help in the interim.
The next question: How much, if any, will Buddy's minutes decrease with the addition of Bazemore? Not only does this deal give Vlade more leverage with GMs at the deadline, it gives Walton more leverage with respect to Buddy. Stay tuned.

The next question: How much, if any, will Buddy's minutes decrease with the addition of Bazemore? Not only does this deal give Vlade more leverage with GMs at the deadline, it gives Walton more leverage with respect to Buddy. Stay tuned.
Bazemore has literally the same/lower IQ than Buddy (better D but worse shooting) I'm not sure you will like this move as much as you like it now.

Yeah, but Vlade fired Dave Joerger because he made a barb that wounded his ego. His GM career is on life support, so he might go all in on a stupid trade to save his job.
Pretty sure there was way more to it than that
Well that’s a gross over-simplification of a rather long chain of events
And Dave Joerger had to beat teams off with a stick post firing. Wait, what? Facts are facts, Dave Joerger lost his team. It happens to the best of 'em.
Totally agree with the follow ups.

Vlade hasn't been a good GM. He's made lots of mistakes. But regarding the Joerger situation, the coach did it to himself. Twice.

First, let's not pretend he didn't do essentially the same thing in Memphis. Wore out his welcome with his flippant attitude. And the Griz org decided it was best to move on. Vlade and the KINGS were eventually put in position where they had to make the same decision.

I believe DJ is a good coach. When he coaches. Problem is there are other obstacles that come along with him wherein 2 different orgs decided to part ways despite his coaching ability. And he has yet to find a new gig. That should tell everyone a little bit about him and not totally reflect poorly on the KINGS.

If it were just about coaching, DJ would probably still be coaching in Memphis. But there's a lot more to it than that. Hopefully he's learned from his last two stops and finds a way to work better with his bosses.

Moving along to the topic of the thread, the trade ......

Count me in with those believing it can't be a bad thing. Nothing earth shaking, and possibly sets up another move. But on it's own merit, I think it's a good trade for SAC.

Adds a couple more 2nd rounders that can be used with other picks to accomplish another move. Adds two other capable 3 point shooters and a player with length and athleticism the KINGS don't necessarily already have.

I'm always a fan of using cap space to absorb contracts and picks. Makes you wonder if the Kings had never signed Ariza, could they have just gotten a protected 1st straight up?

I never understood the purpose of Ariza, with Barnes/Bogi at the 3 and the PF logjam.

Didn’t the suns get Kelly Oubte for Ariza last year? Too bad we couldn’t have replicated that LOL
yep we got a bunch of old guys and more second round picks to sell.

the issue I have is we don’t have many long wing players. If you a grooming Gabriel and you don’t draft any with your second round picks why trade the only guy you got?