Poll: should the Kings match the offer for Bogi?

Match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bogi at 18M is not paying big bucks or an overpay. We payed Buddy over 20 with incentives for similar numbers

this fan base is the most fickle least fact base I have seen.

We are about to pay Fox $32M a year and he has a 114 defensive rating with a 51.3 EFG%. Hopefully it’s a good return but it is a way bigger risk than Bogi’s deal. But not a peep about that let’s all pile on Bogi instead.
And when Buddy is towards the end of his deal it starts looking pretty dang good. Bogdan's? Not so much. Plus you basically can't even deal him for year.

I will go on the record and say the Fox deal makes me nervous. Not saying we shouldn't have done it.

We knew that contract was coming though. The thing the team doesn't want to do is start stacking high dollar contracts on top of each other and continue to be a sub .500 team.
I don’t disagree but the only market value deal we have is Bogi.

And when Buddy is towards the end of his deal it starts looking pretty dang good. Bogdan's? Not so much. Plus you basically can't even deal him for year.
Sorry my friend but this post is exactly what I mean by not fact based. The end of Buddy’s deal is still 500K more than Bogi’s deal.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer
Bogi has been chronically underrated by Kings fans who fail to recognize his biggest issue has been garbage coaching and playing within a poor offensive system. This garbage offensive system has also negatively impacted Fox.

If Bogi goes elsewhere prepare for him to be one of the few ex-Kings players who excels. His NT coach understands how better to use him than Sac.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
Bogi has been chronically underrated by Kings fans who fail to recognize his biggest issue has been garbage coaching and playing within a poor offensive system. This garbage offensive system has also negatively impacted Fox.

If Bogi goes elsewhere prepare for him to be one of the few ex-Kings players who excels. His NT coach understands how better to use it than Sac.
His NT coach coached him on the Kings last year

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
No. Walton coached him. Don't be ridiculous. Walton was hand picked by Vlade to run his system which he did. Entirely different than what Bogi faces with his NT under Igor.
But from most of the reports and stories out there Igor was in charge of running/plotting the offense. the poor execution may be on Luke’s shoulders but we can’t look at Bogi’s performances as a lead guard in international play (whenever that resumes) as any indication of how he’d look in a different role as secondary playmaker if only Igor had been fully in charge of the team in the NBA

Sorry my friend but this post is exactly what I mean by not fact based. The end of Buddy’s deal is still 500K more than Bogi’s deal.
It still LOOKS better. I didn't say it was better. It's declining and that will factor in since most contracts ascend as players decline. It's gives GM's a better picture of what their cap might look like in the future and a little more wiggle room to prepare for. If Buddy can get back to his previous productivity when in comparison to what some similar players got his contract will hardly be a burden. This is also why saying their numbers are similar is hogwash. Up to this point you have to compare their best production so far and Buddy is decently ahead of Bogdan. Bogdan getting paid off his contract year vs. Buddy isn't that close. Buddies deal looks better for sure.

I put down I hope they match. But not only that. I hope monte takes the full 48 hours and all the free agents get signed leaving the hawks with money to spend but no one to spend it on.

If Bogi goes elsewhere prepare for him to be one of the few ex-Kings players who excels. His NT coach understands how better to use him than Sac.
I don’t think Kings fans underrate Bogi, not on this message board anyway. The general consensus is he is a really good player who would excel on a good team as a complementary player. The Bucks for example. On a rebuilding squad pressed to do more than he is capable of his value diminishes.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don’t think Kings fans underrate Bogi, not on this message board anyway. The general consensus is he is a really good player who would excel on a good team as a complementary player. The Bucks for example. On a rebuilding squad pressed to do more than he is capable of his value diminishes.
Yup. I’ve long held the opinion that he would have been the ideal dude to put on the Boogie/Rudy squad but on this guard heavy squad it’s just not clicked like it did in that first season where we played Z-Bo thirty minutes a game for some reason.

So the question is whether or not Bogdan is the difference maker. He wasn't last year, or the year before. So....
You’re missing the point. It doesn’t matter whether Bogdan is a difference maker or not. What matters is that other teams covet him. One team to the point of offering him 4/72. And we know MIL was very interested. Apparently LAL and IND too. I’m sure there are others.

Even if Bogdan has no fit in SAC, they still need to capitalize on the demand from others. Even if it means handicapping themselves a bit for the next season. I mean, are they good enough to go to the Finals? Nope. Probably not even the playoffs, like usual.

So what is it hurting to keep him on the payroll for now then try to flip him later in the season, maybe near the trade deadline?18M per season doesn’t handcuff the franchise from being able to move him.

So how anyone can justify letting him walk for nothing is beyond me.

Worrying about fit or logjams on a team that’s not headed anywhere this season anyway is quite shortsighted.

You need to think more than 2-dimensionally about this.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
You’re missing the point. It doesn’t matter whether Bogdan is a difference maker or not. What matters is that other teams covet him. One team to the point of offering him 4/72.

Even if Bogdan has no fit in SAC, they still need to capitalize on the demand from others. Even if it means handicapping themselves a bit for the next season. I mean, are they good enough to go to the Finals? Nope. Probably not even the playoffs, like usual.

So what is it hurting to keep him on the payroll for now then try to flip him later in the season, maybe near the trade deadline?18M per season doesn’t handcuff the franchise from being able to move him.

Worrying about fit or logjams on a team that’s not headed anywhere this season anyway is quite shortsighted.

But that trade kicker does.

You’re missing the point. It doesn’t matter whether Bogdan is a difference maker or not. What matters is that other teams covet him. One team to the point of offering him 4/72. And we know MIL was very interested. Apparently LAL and IND too. I’m sure there are others.

And in this new deal you have a full year to wait before you can even start looking. This is a bad deal for the Kings all the way around. This is why some of us were steamed about the waste of last year and fumbling around with players as if they had time to do so. Also, again, free agency is different. Teams look at that typically as pure addition and in the Hawks case it will be just that. The Bucks wanted him supposedly because a Giannis connection. LAL? Indy? Who knows what they were actually offering. Clearly not much and/or they didn't want to pay him what he ended getting offered.

And not considering that shortsightedness is exactly what landed the Kings in this situation to begin with and over and over again the last few years. Unhappy players and newly signed pieces demanding out almost from the get.

But that trade kicker does.
There are always going to be obstacles. But let’s not pretend it’s impossible. Or even difficult.

I don’t believe a 10-15% kicker on 4/72 is a huge obstacle. If the KINGS kept Bogdan for this season, he’d be owed 54M after 2020/2021 and a 10-15% kicker isn’t a deal breaker. We’re not talking about a complete scrub here.

There are always going to be obstacles. But let’s not pretend it’s impossible. Or even difficult.

I don’t believe a 10-15% kicker on 4/72 is a huge obstacle. If the KINGS kept Bogdan for this season, he’d be owed 54M after 2020/2021 and a 10-15% kicker isn’t a deal breaker. We’re not talking about a complete scrub here.
If he loses that 4 way battle to Fox, Haliburton, and Buddy he is. Figure the minutes and shots then compare that to his salary. If Bogdan were an intangibles player you could argue it being not impossibly bad. But he isn't. He's not really going to impact that game other than offensively and usually with the ball. Same goes for Buddy but more off the ball which is still a better fit.

And in this new deal you have a full year to wait before you can even start looking. This is a bad deal for the Kings all the way around. This is why some of us were steamed about the waste of last year and fumbling around with players as if they had time to do so. Also, again, free agency is different. Teams look at that typically as pure addition and in the Hawks case it will be just that. The Bucks wanted him supposedly because a Giannis connection. LAL? Indy? Who knows what they were actually offering. Clearly not much and/or they didn't want to pay him what he ended getting offered.

And not considering that shortsightedness is exactly what landed the Kings in this situation to begin with and over and over again the last few years. Unhappy players and newly signed pieces demanding out almost from the get.
I’m don’t believe you’re correct. He can’t be traded to ATL for a year. But any other team should be fair game.

Regardless, it’s bad business not to match and eventually get something in return.

The KINGS are in the mess they’re in because they‘ve yet to have the right decision makers in place and continually drafted poorly. For years and years. Not any of the FA, unhappy players BS you‘re citing.

As a prime example, despite all the previous draft errors, had they just selected #77 instead of MB3 were wouldn‘t be having this conversation. So what you cited is inconsequential by comparison.

I’m don’t believe you’re correct. He can’t be traded to ATL for a year. But any other team should be fair game.

Regardless, it’s bad business not to match and eventually get something in return.

The KINGS are in the mess they’re in because they‘ve yet to have the right decision makers in place and continually drafted poorly. For years and years. Not any of the FA, unhappy players BS you‘re citing.

As a prime example, despite all the previous draft errors, had they just selected #77 instead of MB3 were wouldn‘t be having this conversation. So what you cited is inconsequential by comparison.
I don't know I saw there was a no trade clause on one report. Either way Amick made it sound like this wasn't at all desirable.

And just for the record. These are the same arguments some of us ran up against when it came time to re-sign Jason Thompson as a few of us begged Petrie not to. How'd that work out?

I say let him walk at this point. Start buddy and let him build his value while Halliburton develops off the bench. Try to trade buddy at the deadline and then start Halli if he looks ready.

Tetsujin

The Game Thread Dude
I don't know I saw there was a no trade clause on one report. Either way Amick made it sound like this wasn't at all desirable.

And just for the record. These are the same arguments some of us ran up against when it came time to re-sign Jason Thompson as a few of us begged Petrie not to. How'd that work out?
It still pisses me off that Petrie passed on Dame, who he rated super high and really wanted to pick, because the Maloofs told him they didn’t have the money to re-sign Jason and then when they did shell out the cash and he had a big in place already he re-signed JT anyways.
but thats a rant for another day b

There’s absolutely no comparison to be made between retaining Bogdanovic and freaking Jason Thompson.
None.

There’s absolutely no comparison to be made between retaining Bogdanovic and freaking Jason Thompson.
None.
Really? It's basically some the same reasoning as some of us were making back then to the same exact response. And maybe not now, but perhaps later. Maybe not though, it might just be Buddy that hits the trash can. Then again it's Luke Walton so maybe it's Tyrese Haliburton for a bit. It's not worth the gamble. This is the same reason why some of us weren't all rosey about the Hill signing and spending spree last summer either. How'd that work out?

Sorry Atlanta we are going to match , So now we have 2 starting SG
You didnt get your starting SG and you only have Snell and Huerter and you have 18 mil cap space?
So Atlanta the FA market is all dried up
We will trade Buddy 24.9m for Hunter 7.4m should fit into your cap and lets see and 2021 1st, and 2023 2nd both unprotected
you want to be a contender this season? Thats what it will take

Fox, Cojo,Guy
Bogi,Tyrese,JJ,
Barnes,Hunter,Woodard
Beli,Parker,Jeffries
Bagley,Holmes, Kosta

Last edited:
I saw somewhere on twitter that if Bogdan is traded the team that takes him on takes an additional 4-5 million into the cap. You can't match that. That's essentially Bogdan making upwards of or close to 20 million on his deal in year 2 and 3. Later Bogdan.

I saw somewhere on twitter that if Bogdan is traded the team that takes him on takes an additional 4-5 million into the cap. You can't match that. That's essentially Bogdan making upwards of or close to 20 million on his deal in year 2 and 3. Later Bogdan.
There's a 15% trade kicker, and supposedly the KINGS take the hit on that. I don't know how that works, if it's only in year one, or what the specifics are beyond that it's there.

There's a 15% trade kicker, and supposedly the KINGS take the hit on that. I don't know how that works, if it's only in year one, or what the specifics are beyond that it's there.
From what I understood it sounded like the Kings pay it but the other team absorbs it into their cap as part of their salary. So if traded that trade kicker essentially gets added on to the salary according to the books. It could be wrong and I can't find the post I saw but it sounded legit. I remember at the start of this someone brought up the cap hit issues.

I don't think it's only in year 1. That wouldn't be much of a poison pill. In year 1, Kings can’t trade him without his permission. But that is standard for this type of FA signing.