Playing to Win Tour: Carmichael Dave on the Road

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I don't quite buy into the idea that George is literally vindictive and has a personal vendetta against the city and citizens of Sacramento, that his motive is to cause harm. That's not to say that his actions have not cause pain, they have. But I don't think that has ever been his motive.

Word came out from a minority owner a few weeks back, it may have been Bob Cook, that in truth the Maloofs have been trying or at least open to/hoping to move the Kings to a bigger market for a profit since they bought the team. That's for a profit, not to hurt Sacramento. I see no further actions in the Seattle phase that indicates otherwise. What might be seen as George wanting to hurt Sac, I think is really just him trying to leverage Seattle against Sac, and now, you can see him slightly turning on Seattle now and leveraging Sac back against Seattle. I think in his own mind he's just trying to get the absolute highest sale price possible. And, from a purely cold and calculating, one dimensional point of view, you can't say he hasn't done a good job of that. It seems he will have successfully leveraged Seattle's desire for a team to jack up the price for the Kings 50-100 mil, essentially accomplishing the higher valuation goal, while even avoiding paying a relocation fee. He just happened to make every single Sacramentan, (and soon every Seattle fan) despise him in the process.

I also think he's not unaware of the public hate towards his family. Perhaps he views it as the cost of doing business. In no way do I view Dave's actions as traitorous. In fact I'm glad he's been able to maintain a relationship with "the enemy". The public hate towards the Maloofs has been helpful, actually, for galvanizing the movement. You need to have public enemy number one. For they're really only the enemy for as long as it suits our purpose of getting them out and keeping our team.
You may well be right on some things. And you're obviously a much better person than I am in regards to not harboring hatred towards the Maloofs. I hate them, I hate what they've done to my Kings and I will be eternally glad when I never have to hear the name Maloof again.

I do understand there are other considerations and other points of view, which is why I asked Dave the question and accepted his answer, although I don't agree with it.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If I were Dave I would NOT eat or drink anything out of the mini-bar.
At least they'll all be able to take real showers before they get back to Sacramento. Having taken vacations in motor homes, I know things can get a little ripe. With three guys in that RV I don't even want to imagine...

If the Maloof family offered me a free room instead of staying in the RV, I probably would take it too. I am not going to try to figure out the bi-polar actions of that family. But I will say this. One day at a Monarchs game, my wife and my two nieces and two young female cousins were walking in the concourse from the Ladies Room and they ran into Joe Maloof. Joe commented how cute all the girls were and asked how long they had been Monarchs fans. After my wife answered, he said to her "follow me". He led them to the other side of the arena into the Kings store and told them to pick out Monarchs jerseys. He paid for them with cash out of his pocket. To this day I or my family have never forgotten that.

This is why this situation has been so hard for us fans. Because we knew how this family was (and maybe still is) back in the day. Real people, kind, considerate, "a fan's owner. These are not the same guys, or at least they are not acting the same way. I can not put my finger on it. But I do know that this city and Kings fans deserve better than what is going on now. I hope once this thing ends, that we all including the Maloofs can heal from this and they are welcomed in this community forever.

Dave should have refused, it's like sleeping with the enemy. Maloof's don't deserve any credit at all and georgie can pound sand along with the rest of the maloofers. Did they ever off to give Sacramento a chance to bid on the Kings? uh' no. They secretly put the Kings on the market to anybody BUT Sacramento. The only reason we're in the hunt is because of Mayor Johnson and the team he has put together. maloof's are backstabber's and are not to be trusted.

Soon we can be free of those bums. Good riddance and may they never come back.

When they make the movie documenting this saga, it will certainly make for good theater to see the Playing to Win RV pull in front of The Palms, just as rumors are swirling that the the BOG will reject the sale and allow the team to remain in Sac.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
If the Maloofs reached out to Dave, which it appears they did, then it falls in line with the comments in Ailene Voisin's column today about them wanting to avoid a "scorched earth" departure.

I am not a person who forgives easily. I have a lot of built-up animosity against the Maloofs for what we've gone through the past several years. BUT my main concern is the Kings. If Dave staying at the Palms in any way bridges some kind of gap and helps us keep our team I'm not going to complain any further. And I'm not going to let the Maloofs live rent-free in my head. I've got better things to think about, like how great it's going to be in a couple of years to meet up at the new arena with Dave and Mike and Lynne and Ron and Ryan and all the other folks who've been a part of this journey and cheer at the top of our lungs for Kevin Johnson, our new owners and OUR Sacramento Kings!

If the Maloofs reached out to Dave, which it appears they did, then it falls in line with the comments in Ailene Voisin's column today about them wanting to avoid a "scorched earth" departure.
Too late... the earth is scorched, all bridges are burned and ashes scattered by the wind. There is nothing left. If they ever gather up the courage to show up at another Sacramento event (doubtful), I hope they're booed and heclked non-stop until they leave with their tails tucked in between their legs like the cowardly little weasels they are.

I am not a person who forgives easily. I have a lot of built-up animosity against the Maloofs for what we've gone through the past several years. BUT my main concern is the Kings. If Dave staying at the Palms in any way bridges some kind of gap and helps us keep our team I'm not going to complain any further. And I'm not going to let the Maloofs live rent-free in my head. I've got better things to think about, like how great it's going to be in a couple of years to meet up at the new arena with Dave and Mike and Lynne and Ron and Ryan and all the other folks who've been a part of this journey and cheer at the top of our lungs for Kevin Johnson, our new owners and OUR Sacramento Kings!
Well said. I posted in another thread about how angry this whole thing has made me toward the Maloofs, but the main thing is that I want to be able to stop worrying about the team staying. I don't want bad things to happen to the Maloofs. I just want to be able to put them behind me.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
The latest episode is up:

[video=youtube_share;QwgpiOe2_WM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QwgpiOe2_WM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Actually, I've been disappointed so far. A lot of the cities and Dave, but hardly anything on Kings fans in the places they've gone. That's what I was hoping to see.

Anyone have any info on where in LA they are going to stop? I checked the website, facebook, twitter, and the only thing I have seen about LA is this tweet:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 8h

Good night Las Vegas. Took a nice (long) walk from Mandalay to the Palms. Thought about what a great week this is about to be. LA tomorrow

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Anyone have any info on where in LA they are going to stop? I checked the website, facebook, twitter, and the only thing I have seen about LA is this tweet:
I just asked him. Hopefully he'll get back to me or answer publicly on Twitter.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Carmichael Dave and the PlayingToWin Tour have reached LA. They will be at and around the Staples Center today (Monday) at 11 a.m. (according to Dave's latest tweet). If you're an Kings fan in LA, now's your chance to see Dave and sign the RV!

Carmichael Dave and the PlayingToWin Tour have reached LA. They will be at and around the Staples Center today (Monday) at 11 a.m. (according to Dave's latest tweet). If you're an Kings fan in LA, now's your chance to see Dave and sign the RV!
Damn, I just woke up. Doesn't look like I'll be able to go to Staples Center any time soon. Funny that they stayed in Glendale last night, which is where I live. Would have been cool if I had spotted the RV.

Anyone going?

Actually, I've been disappointed so far. A lot of the cities and Dave, but hardly anything on Kings fans in the places they've gone. That's what I was hoping to see.
Your sense of entitlement is astonishing.

As for myself, I've enjoyed all the episodes of his friendly and passionate shenanigans.

But you were hoping Dave would sacrifice a month away from his family, take no money from you, and spend his time and effort doing more of what YOU had in mind, videotape it, and send it back to you.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME

As for myself, I've enjoyed all the episodes of his friendly and passionate shenanigans.

But you were hoping Dave would sacrifice a month away from his family, take no money from you, and spend his time and effort doing more of what YOU had in mind, videotape it, and send it back to you.
That is NOT fair, especially since kennadog is one of the FEW who have attended virtually every single Sacramento City Council meeting, spent hundreds of dollars of her own money (if not more) in helping support first #FANS and then Crown Downtown, and has spoken out for Kings fans and people everywhere who support the idea of a state-of-the-art entertainment and sports complex but could not or would not stand up in front of the city council (and microphones from the various local news outlets) and say so.

She wanted to see more of the fans across the country featured. I would have liked to see that myself, especially since I follow Dave on Twitter and know he was greeted at almost every stop with support from Kings fans and fans in general. I'm sure Dave has an astonishing amount of video he hasn't shared yet, and hopefully that will be part of it.

I'm sure Dave doesn't need someone to attack kennadog for her comments and I'm damned sure he wouldn't do it.

That is NOT fair, especially since kennadog is one of the FEW who have attended virtually every single Sacramento City Council meeting, spent hundreds of dollars of her own money (if not more) in helping support first #FANS and then Crown Downtown, and has spoken out for Kings fans and people everywhere who support the idea of a state-of-the-art entertainment and sports complex but could not or would not stand up in front of the city council (and microphones from the various local news outlets) and say so.

She wanted to see more of the fans across the country featured. I would have liked to see that myself, especially since I follow Dave on Twitter and know he was greeted at almost every stop with support from Kings fans and fans in general. I'm sure Dave has an astonishing amount of video he hasn't shared yet, and hopefully that will be part of it.

I'm sure Dave doesn't need someone to attack kennadog for her comments and I'm damned sure he wouldn't do it.
I'm not doing it on Dave's behalf, or anybody's. And it doesn't matter how much time and money and heart she has spent for the cause.

I don't discount that Dave might graciously, in public at least, accept criticism from KD. It's still entitled. Warpedly so.

So maybe you want to play the martyr card and say she's sticking up for Kings fans around the country who she thinks deserve exposure? Ok great. Then build a media career, become a local celebrity, sell sponsors on your idea, get the trip financed, and do it how you want. DAVE earned this trip. DAVE organized it. DAVE is in charge. And DAVE is providing media content, for free. Nobody has any right to pretend as if a working, free man owes them anything, unless you're paying them.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I'm not doing it on Dave's behalf, or anybody's. And it doesn't matter how much time and money and heart she has spent for the cause.

I don't discount that Dave might graciously, in public at least, accept criticism from KD. It's still entitled. Warpedly so.

So maybe you want to play the martyr card and say she's sticking up for Kings fans around the country who she thinks deserve exposure? Ok great. Then build a media career, become a local celebrity, sell sponsors on your idea, get the trip financed, and do it how you want. DAVE earned this trip. DAVE organized it. DAVE is in charge. And DAVE is providing media content, for free. Nobody has any right to pretend as if a working, free man owes them anything, unless you're paying them.
You're certainly entitled to your opinion. If you cannot understand how vile your comments to her sound, especially considering what she has given, then that's your choice to make.

It's not about a martyr card. If you choose to take it that way, that is again your prerogative. I think you're way out of line and I said so.

As someone who has known Dave personally for a number of years, I can assure you you're off-base when you say that Dave would condone this kind of attack.

And for the record? I wasn't saying "she's sticking up for Kings fans around the country who she thinks deserve exposure"... I was saying that she has stood up in front of the city council at least six different times, speaking about the need for them to vote for a new arena and keep the Kings. She has spoken to the local media about the need to work to make Sacramento the vital city we know it can be. She has traveled from her home to the city council meetings AT HER OWN EXPENSE for every single meeting with the exception of maybe two. She has represented the feelings of a number of Kings fans and others who want to see the arena built for the betterment of future fans and generations.

Last edited:
Um, all she did is say what she was hoping to see. How is that being entitled? She also said it on internet forum with a couple hundred users. It's not like she went to News 10 so all of Sacramento could hear her.

Capt. Factorial

trifolium contra tempestatem subrigere certum est
Staff member

You know what? I'm disappointed with the quality of this post. I was hoping to see a little bit more, I don't know, rational thought behind it.

Now, please inform me about the level of my sense of entitlement and exactly which actions I was hoping you would do in the composition of this post. I'm interested to hear this.

rainmaker

Hall of Famer

Don't agree with this. It's fans like Kennadog who go out of their way to show up at city council meetings and offer support to KJ/City/Kings/Arena who have helped swing this situation in our favor. A sense of entitlement is probably one of the last descriptions I would use for Kennadog.

You know what? I'm disappointed with the quality of this post. I was hoping to see a little bit more, I don't know, rational thought behind it.

Now, please inform me about the level of my sense of entitlement and exactly which actions I was hoping you would do in the composition of this post. I'm interested to hear this.
I haven't spotted any glaring entitlement about Dave's trip reflected in your posts, actually.

I've seen more than one person express it over Dave's trip. Can't understand why people think they have a right to expect Dave's spontaneous trip which he financed through his own sponsors to meet their "expectations".

Relax everybody. I was only calling someone out. No one's dyin' here.

I personally don't think people have grounds to be disappointed in Dave's trip. Even the resident holy members of the board. Just don't. I find it utterly ridiculous.

Last edited:

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
I haven't spotted any glaring entitlement about Dave's trip reflected in your posts, actually.

I've seen more than one person express it over Dave's trip. Can't understand why people think they have a right to expect Dave's spontaneous trip which he financed through his own sponsors to meet their "expectations".

Relax everybody. I was only calling someone out. No one's dyin' here.

I personally don't think people have grounds to be disappointed in Dave's trip. Even the resident holy members of the board. Just don't. I find it utterly ridiculous.
Sorry, but all SHE said was that she was disappointed he hadn't shown more Kings fans, more of the faces that match all the signatures on the van. And for that you get on your high horse and lecture her about being entitled. How much have you done for the cause?

You know what? Never mind. This isn't fair to kennadog, but she'll survive. She's more than proven her dedication to the cause.

I know who and what you're referring to. Go back and check again. You're calling out the wrong ones.

Sorry, but all SHE said was that she was disappointed he hadn't shown more Kings fans, more of the faces that match all the signatures on the van. And for that you get on your high horse and lecture her about being entitled. How much have you done for the cause?

You know what? Never mind. This isn't fair to kennadog, but she'll survive. She's more than proven her dedication to the cause.

I know who and what you're referring to. Go back and check again. You're calling out the wrong ones.
Oh the travesty. Glad she's a survivor. Cause I could have killed her!

Wow! I make a harmless little remark that I would have liked to see more of the people that showed up to greet Dave and sign the RV and I'm feeling "entitled?" First off, entitled means that I think I'm owed that from Dave. I did not say any such thing and I defy you to to support the contention that I did.

The stated purpose of the trip was to get signatures on the RV banner from supporters of the Kings staying in Sacramento, in order to present said banner to the BoG. To rally support for Sacramento. All I said was I was disappointed the videos didn't cover that aspect more. Me. I was disappointed, because I hoped to see a lot of support out there in other NBA cities. I was personally disappointed a bit. I doubt Dave cares about my little bit of disappointment. I know Dave is passionate about keeping the Kings in Sac and his trip is evidence of that. By the way, I never said I didn't enjoy the videos either. My little disappointment is not incompatible with enjoying what is in the videos.

By the way, although not more than a modest amount, I am one of the financial contributors to the #PlayingToWin Tour. Does that make me even a teeny, tiny bit entitled to have my teeny bit of disappointment? No. I was not expecting Dave to drop everything and change his plans to suit me.

Good grief.

And to others. Thank you for defending me. It was just a harmless little personal feeling being expressed. You'd think I was the Queen demanding total subservience from one of my subjects. Honestly, I don't care if I get recognition for anything I've done. It's a labor of passion for my city. Dave approaches things the way he does, because he is a Sacramento personality that has connections and a public voice. Great. He reaches people I never will in ways that I can't. I'm a person that's more comfortable in the background. I'm not going to detract from the efforts of anybody who wants the same thing I do. The more on our side in this fight, the better.

Warhawk

Give blood and save a life!
Staff member
Wow! I make a harmless little remark that I would have liked to see more of the people that showed up to greet Dave and sign the RV and I'm feeling "entitled?" First off, entitled means that I think I'm owed that from Dave. I did not say any such thing and I defy you to to support the contention that I did.

The stated purpose of the trip was to get signatures on the RV banner from supporters of the Kings staying in Sacramento, in order to present said banner to the BoG. To rally support for Sacramento. All I said was I was disappointed the videos didn't cover that aspect more. Me. I was disappointed, because I hoped to see a lot of support out there in other NBA cities. I was personally disappointed a bit. I doubt Dave cares about my little bit of disappointment. I know Dave is passionate about keeping the Kings in Sac and his trip is evidence of that. By the way, I never said I didn't enjoy the videos either. My little disappointment is not incompatible with enjoying what is in the videos.

By the way, although not more than a modest amount, I am one of the financial contributors to the #PlayingToWin Tour. Does that make me even a teeny, tiny bit entitled to have my teeny bit of disappointment? No. I was not expecting Dave to drop everything and change his plans to suit me.

Good grief.

And to others. Thank you for defending me. It was just a harmless little personal feeling being expressed. You'd think I was the Queen demanding total subservience from one of my subjects. Honestly, I don't care if I get recognition for anything I've done. It's a labor of passion for my city. Dave approaches things the way he does, because he is a Sacramento personality that has connections and a public voice. Great. He reaches people I never will in ways that I can't. I'm a person that's more comfortable in the background. I'm not going to detract from the efforts of anybody who wants the same thing I do. The more on our side in this fight, the better.
Well said!

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Ooooooookay...back to the topic at hand. :)

The latest episode is now up:

[video=youtube_share;uTMgEGFZmqA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTMgEGFZmqA&feature=youtu.be[/video]