Playing to Win Tour: Carmichael Dave on the Road

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Thanks, arwen. The tour has been discussed at some length in the news/rumor thread, but it's nice to have a new place to follow the tour without getting into the side debate of how effective it might be, etc. :)

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Facebook:

Playing To Win Tour
Hello Phoenix! We will be outside the Giants- Rockies in Scottsdale at Noon, then the arena, then Majerle's! Come and say hi!!

Nice piece.. I wonder if that banner or RV is going to be part of the argument with all those signatures from people in different cities. Not to mention I am sure they have a bunch of soundbites from people in each city who have nothing to do with the Kings but want the Kings to stay in Sac. That would probably take up too much time though.

Glenn

Hall of Famer
Wow. Good for him and everyone behind him. I mean behind him in a more literal sense than just me or us wishing him luck. A random thought flittered through my mind: what on earth is the gas bill going to be like and who pays for it?

Wow. Good for him and everyone behind him. I mean behind him in a more literal sense than just me or us wishing him luck. A random thought flittered through my mind: what on earth is the gas bill going to be like and who pays for it?
There have been tweets that shell gave them a gas card and Carl's Jr lined them up with gift cards, plus others ..........

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Very bold claim in that third episode, that the deal is already done and Sac will keep the Kings.
That's not exactly what he said. He said he heard from a very reliable inside source that Sacramento will keep the Kings. I'm guessing that what's being talked about in some owner circles is that Sacramento has stepped up and done every single thing they've been asked to do and that the pond-scum Maloofs do not deserve to screw over the city (and have a negative impact on the image of the NBA) on their way out the door.

Remember, the BoG voted nixed the move to Anaheim because KJ stepped up and promised that Sacramento would get an arena deal in place that met the NBA standards. He did it... Now, once again, KJ has stepped up and not only gotten a second arena deal through the city council, he has assembled an ownership group that will help promote the NBA in huge new markets AND revitalize a city's downtown area at the same time. Those two things cannot be overemphasized. There's absolutely no way the NBA could give the Kings to Seattle without a mass of negative press and questions from other cities who may be asked to come up with new arenas in the future.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
From Twitter:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 2h

Chris Hansen. Meet Dikembe. He BLOCKS things. Tonight or tomorrow AM. All I can say :)

It was a wonderful night for Crown Downtown, too. A bunch of us were signed up to speak, but they asked for one representative from CD, so it was Mike. :) Actually there were so many fine speakers on the pro-arena side and many of them were representing large groups, like the Downtown Business Association. the Metro Chamber of Commerce, Sheetmetal Workers Union, one other labor union group and more. (Yes, labor and business on the same side. ;))

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Latest tweets from Carmichael Dave:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 7m

So we will be in Vegas Saturday night to watch old friend @urijahfaber fight. We were planning on staying in the RV as we normally do.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 6m

We will be a lot more comfortable now, as we have been asked to stay at the Palms hotel as guests of the Maloof family.

George Maloof was kind enough to reach out and offer us rooms as guests of the family during our stay, and we accepted. Class move.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 4m

I should add that I have maintained a relationship with the Maloofs for a long time, and have been in contact with George during the trip.

This was simply a nice gesture, and of course we accepted. I wouldn't read to much further into it. I've always said positive>negative.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to be honest and admit that this doesn't sit real well with me. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, the Maloofs want the team to leave and have said they want to move forward and sell the team to Seattle. It kind of bothers me that Dave has been in contact with George Maloof. It also bothers me that Dave has accepted a gratuity from the Maloofs when this whole tour has been about denying the Maloofs what they want most - to sell the team to Seattle.

VF21

Super Moderator Emeritus
SME
Okay, here's my on the other hand:

Dave has taken the high road in this exchange, and after talking with him on Twitter I can understand his point of view. Our exchange:

Christine Gillespie ‏@vladefan21 3m

@CarmichaelDave Isn't it a little disingenuous to accept lodging from Maloofs when the whole trip has been about blocking their actions?
Expand

Carmichael Dave Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 2m

@vladefan21 Not at all. Maintaining positive relationships will always be necessary throughout. I'm honored to be asked.

Christine Gillespie ‏@vladefan21 1m

@CarmichaelDave Fair enough. If we're talking about class moves, I'd give you more of the credit. Just my two cents...

Warhawk

The cake is a lie.
Staff member
If he's not being charged for the stay, tell him to grab the mini-bottles in the fridge if George hasn't drained them all already. :p

Latest tweets from Carmichael Dave:

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 7m

So we will be in Vegas Saturday night to watch old friend @urijahfaber fight. We were planning on staying in the RV as we normally do.

We will be a lot more comfortable now, as we have been asked to stay at the Palms hotel as guests of the Maloof family.

George Maloof was kind enough to reach out and offer us rooms as guests of the family during our stay, and we accepted. Class move.

Carmichael Dave ‏@CarmichaelDave 4m

I should add that I have maintained a relationship with the Maloofs for a long time, and have been in contact with George during the trip.

This was simply a nice gesture, and of course we accepted. I wouldn't read to much further into it. I've always said positive>negative.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have to be honest and admit that this doesn't sit real well with me. I have mixed feelings. On one hand, the Maloofs want the team to leave and have said they want to move forward and sell the team to Seattle. It kind of bothers me that Dave has been in contact with George Maloof. It also bothers me that Dave has accepted a gratuity from the Maloofs when this whole tour has been about denying the Maloofs what they want most - to sell the team to Seattle.
I don't quite buy into the idea that George is literally vindictive and has a personal vendetta against the city and citizens of Sacramento, that his motive is to cause harm. That's not to say that his actions have not caused pain, they have. But I don't think that has ever been his motive.

Word came out from a minority owner a few weeks back, it may have been Bob Cook, that in truth the Maloofs have been trying or at least open to/hoping to move the Kings to a bigger market for a profit since they bought the team. That's for a profit, not to hurt Sacramento. I see no further actions in the Seattle phase that indicates otherwise. What might be seen as George wanting to hurt Sac, I think is really just him trying to leverage Seattle against Sac, and now, you can see him slightly turning on Seattle now and leveraging Sac back against Seattle. I think in his own mind he's just trying to get the absolute highest sale price possible. And, from a purely cold and calculating, one dimensional point of view, you can't say he hasn't done a good job of that. It seems he will have successfully leveraged Seattle's desire for a team to jack up the price for the Kings 50-100 mil, essentially accomplishing the higher valuation goal, while even avoiding paying a relocation fee. He just happened to make every single Sacramentan, (and soon every Seattle fan) despise him in the process.

I also think he's not unaware of the public hate towards his family. Perhaps he views it as the cost of doing business. In no way do I view Dave's actions as traitorous. In fact I'm glad he's been able to maintain a relationship with "the enemy". The public hate towards the Maloofs has been helpful, actually, for galvanizing the movement. You need to have public enemy number one. But they're really only the enemy for as long as it suits our purpose of getting them out and keeping our team. Aside from that purpose, which Dave has been a huge part of, there is no reason not to try to maintain positivity between them. KJ does the same thing. He'll kill you on the court, but buy you a beer afterwards. It's just good sportsmanship.

Last edited: